1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Looking ahead..

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Nov 10, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    Marty and Norv were opposite end of the spectrum coaches, with very different issues. I don't really prefer either, but I feel like if I had to choose Marty was a more natural leader of men...albeit he got in his own way A LOT!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    Yeah, he sure looked dreamy riding a horse

3. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Into skirmishes but not battles.

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I'm just broke (not really, but ferreting away money for a down payment on a house, so I pretty much act like it) and have no life now since the twins were born at the start of the summer. Barring a reprieve by The Warden, I likely won't make a game until the 2015 season when the boy and girl are 2.

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    As to my take on all this... we're not dead yet - and while yes, sneaking into the playoffs at 9-7 (I doubt 8-8 gets us in, mostly because I don't think we have enough tie-breakers unless we beat Miami H2H and it comes down to us two teams) would hurt our draft position, making it back to the playoffs in the first year under a new HC/FO could help us significantly in both retaining our own FA's (more so in attempting to get team-friendly deals) and in attracting other FA's, be they 1-2 year vet filler (never bad to have for depth) or big-tag guys (though I doubt we're in a cap position to afford them)... not to mention it helps solidify the current members of the roster buying into the new identity/mantra.

That said, with as injury ravaged as this team is (and I use the word "ravaged" because we don't look in a position like some other teams are to return those injured guys this season) and continues to be with each passing week - we're a one-and-done playoff team barring a small miracle (i.e. Rivers going full-blown Kurt Warner throughout the playoffs).

I'll say this, I won't start mocking anything till we're officially out of it and even then I tend to hold off on anything formal until we get a decent indication of who is declaring (which is going to be particularly relevant this year considering that the amount of underclassmen QB's that declare is going to severely affect what prospects get pushed down the board in the first couple rounds).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Larry English was placed on the I.R.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    Damn. He was finally having a productive season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Time to start poaching from other teams' practice squads for any high(ish) ceiling players. The free agent market is bone dry.

Travis Long is sitting out there on the Eagles' PS. Cheta Ozougwu, originally drafted as an OLB by the Texans, is sitting on the Bears' PS. Beltre's still floating around the free agent market and is probably the most likely signing since he already knows the playbook. Meshak Williams (who was with the Ravens in the preseason and is formerly of Kansas State) might be worth a look as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    Keep on plugging, one never knows what is going to happen.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    I think the Chargers are definitely closer than they were a year ago, but they absolutely need to fix the defense. They need a pure nose tackle (maybe two), probably another outside linebacker and at least two cornerbacks along with maybe a strong safety. And that's not even considering that they need an actual running back, maybe a back up left tackle (I'd like to see what Becton can do and I was very intrigued by Harris' massive transformation) and likely a right guard (that could be done in the draft). The good news is the team has a lot more cap room and fill holes a lot better in FA along with the draft.

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    Yup we cannot move the ball one yard. Why is that? Either we need better beef on the line or we need powerful fullback. So lets draft a free safety!

12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,435 / 36 / -16
    Or the coaching staff is calling the wrong play.

(Mathews showed last week he can go up and over from 2 yards out…so why is he unable to go 1/2 yard?)

13. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Cap number for 2014-15 is $123,209,324 including dead money owed to Jared Gaither and Robert Meachem.

Lot of players are playing for their future right now, possible cap casualties,

Antonio Gates - Savings = $5M - Replacement, Ladarius Green
    Jeromey Clary - Savings = $4.5M - Replacement, Johnnie Troutman
    Eddie Royal - Savings = $4.5M - Replacement, Vincent Brown
    Derek Cox - Savings = $4.25M - Replacement, Draft
    Le'Ron McClain - Savings = $2.5 - Replacement, John Phillips (Played FB for Dallas on certain sets)
    Malcolm Floyd - Savings = $2.4M - Replacement, Keenan Allen

Now, Gates is unlikely to be cut, but he could re-negotiate to take a bigger cap hit in 2015, which would be his last year here. We'd have $18.15M if we don't cut Gates, which would grow to $23.15M if we did cut him or just simply re-structured his contract. Keep in mind about $5M is set aside to the 2014 draft class, so we could have anywhere from $13.15M-18.15M in cap room in 2014, Which isn't a lot of breathing room for a team with holes and lack of depth.

14. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    You earn the money the Chargers are paying you, that's for sure!

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Don't think we can afford to lose Donald Butler either, even though he has missed 4 games this year, he is the 2nd on the team in tackles. He sure won't get Sean Lee or Brian Cushing money, but he should get or at least average about $4M-5M a year. Most of the top ILB free agents are on the other side of 30. Can't see us relying on Te'o either in 2014-15, he looks like he'll need some more time to get acquainted with the speed of play.

Also, with Troutman most likely retaining the job at LG or moving to RG, we'll need to re-sign Rinehart, even though he has missed time as well, he's been pretty stout when he has been in there.

Lawrence Guy is someone as well who will need to be re-signed. Both Guy and Lissemore the last few weeks have out performed both Liuget and Reyes, which is saying something. Keiser could be back on a 1 year deal as well if we move to the 4-3, he has no pass rush moves but his grit, hustle and strength seem to make up for it.

And I'd probably give DX and Ajirotutu 1 year deals again, and possibly Lavelle Hawkins, though his role is replaceable.

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    The fact Clary and Cox are top 5 paid players in 2014-15 makes me want to vomit. They've both performed no where near what their earning or a top 5 player on this team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194 / 3 / -1
    P.A. announcement in the locker room after the last game of the season: "Everybody on this list not named Antonio Gates, please come to the office and bring your playbook."

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    Why is Gates immune? Love the guy but he's old and pretty expensive himself, and not putting up the numbers he should be considering he's healthy.

Also he's got LDG (just trying it on) peeking over his shoulder already for playing time. I assume Gates will be back but don't be surprised if he's traded to a contender in the offseason, a la Tony Gonzalez.

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    I think Clary is FINALLY a goner, a complete failure at RG so far and at RT as always. That's money we need to pocket.

Cox is in the same position Gaither and Meachem were, only more valuable in that at least he's a warm body who is present.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    Norv said during his departure that the Bolt fans shouldn't expect a quick turn around, I reckon he knew what he was talking about. If I'm not mistaken, members of the new admin. stated they didn't know how Norv won as many games as he did with what he had. And now they're even worse off in the talent pool. Great Oogly Moogly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    I'm really bummed our season has ended this early....it's like I don't even look forward to watch'n our boys now with my Sunday Ticket and all.....and I hate feel'n like that.....this season can't end soon enough....let's get on with next year already. :( :tdown: :poop:

22. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194 / 3 / -1
    Sentimentality? Fear of having yet another good vet go to another team, discover the fountain of youth, and win a Super Bowl ring? IDK. But seriously. LDG played very well yesterday but AG scored our only TD and is the still #1 pass catcher on the team (which is a whole nuther subject :tdown:). Touchdowns being so few and far between these days, I'd be inclined to keep him (depending upon what kind of trade he might bring. I have no effing idea.) next year.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Would love to see where "they" said that, that's pretty much playing down the talent you have now publicly, but I believe the team is heading in the right direction just have to get better at some positions this off-season. Need to make some personnel changes as well.

But yeah, the talent on this roster from last year is worse off. Still no excuse for missed tackles in the NFL and some poor in game coaching.

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    I mean, mathematically we're not out of it, but 3 straight loses since the bye, and the way they've happened, doesn't give you much hope going forward against more talented teams then those who we lost to (excluding Denver).

25. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    Norv said the new coaches would find out real quick that the team was coached well and they agreed when they finally did come in. Mel Kiper said it on TV and when he watched some SD film he became curious and decided to watch every bit of game film from the '12 season. He concluded the SD O-line was the worst in the NFL. He flat out said he couldn't believe they won that many games. This year is injured but overall better with Fluker, Troutman and the extra bodies (the back-ups are better than last year's starters). Oh well, cognitive dissonance is fun and makes a losing season enjoyable for something

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  26. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    line is better, gates is better, woodhead

D is a toss-up

• Like Like x 1
  27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    I knew someone had come out and said this I was wrong on as who to credit. Thanks for the clarification.

28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    The D wasn't that great last year, but we didn't have as many key injuries as we've had this year. Offense is just overall better, that is credit to coaching and who the FO has brought in.

Last year both Liuget and Reyes had phenomenal seasons because of Aubrayo Franklin's dominance inside. We had a decent pass rush in Phillips and Ingram/Johnson. The DB play was atrocious, as it is this year, but Weddle had a great year in the secondary which has been the difference.

We also had a breakout season from DX and Malcolm Floyd almost lasted 14 games or whatever it was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    You've got the numbers wrong on Cox. We guaranteed him $10.25 million and by all accounts all we've accrued against the cap for him thus far is $2.1 million. That means if we cut him we actually take on an additional near $4 million in cap-hit versus just keeping him on the roster (that's why you don't cut guys the season after signing them). He'd be a an $8.15m cap-hit if cut versus a $5.5m hit if retained.

Floyd's a possibility but compare his $2.4m due versus the veteran minimum for a player that's been in the league 4+ years (i.e. replacing him with a journeyman receiver... or even with DX re-signed to the vet minimum and a prayer that he can stay healthy for once in his career) and we're saving all of what? A little over a $1.0m? It's worth the $1.0m to at least let him see camp through and see if the guys below him on the DC are pushing him for his spot before cutting him - because at least with Floyd we know we have a capable-if-unspectacular starter.

I'd love to see Clary let go... but I honestly doubt it happens. He's likely going to be allowed to play his contract out and we'll just draft his successor to groom behind him if the team doesn't already view Troutman as that. Sadly, Clary's ability to stay healthy (something just about all of our other starting linemen outside of Big Nick have shown lesser ability for) is likely to keep him in the good graces of the staff. If he gets let go, it will be because Troutman or someone else outshows him in camp and the preseason and forcibly takes his spot from him AND someone the like of Harris, Becton, or a new addition demonstrates the ability to effectively hold down the backup right tackle/swing-tackle position at a lower cost.

And for the moment, Vincent Brown hasn't shown he can hold Eddie Royal's jock. Sorry, but it's true. Don't know what happened over that time that he was out with the broken ankle but the guy looks like he forgot how to run a correct route. He and miscommunications with Rivers/poor route-running has been directly responsible for at least 2 Rivers INT's this season (most recently, yesterday's). I want to see the guy succeed, but he hasn't demonstrated the ability to be leaned upon yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -2
    The last paragraph on VB really nailed it!