1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

looking toward the draft here's the prospects i like

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Nov 9, 2011.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    Olb- Sammy Brown Houston " 9.5 sacks", Sean Porter texas a&m " 8.5 sacks",

DL - Vinny Curry Marshall "10.5 sacks" Brett roy nevada " 8 sacks"

MLB- Manti Te' Notre dame " 4.5 sacks"

DB's - Phillip Thomas Syracuse " 6 int's" Nigel malone Kansas state " 6 int's"

• Like Like x 1
  2. La'Mer

La'Mer BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Remember that young man(GAMBLE) AND HIS SISTER made that bad decision, so why is everyone just ostracizing him.
    He was a young kid and yes what he did was wrong. He has paid the price. Let the young man play football!!

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Sammy Brown's a beast... and I'd wager if/when he gets a combine invite he'll likely push himself into at minimum a late Day 2 (3rd round) draft choice. The guy just has a knack for getting to the QB - needs to work on not overpursuing and maintaining lanes/containment against the run, but that's coachable.

I just don't see where Te'o fits this team unless it's as a value pick because he's still on the board in the 2nd round. Sorry, but I'm willing to give Mouton the benefit of the doubt for at least one year given what we've seen from Butler's development. I also think Te'o fits the 4-3 far better than the 3-4. I'd honestly sooner sink a 1st round pick into a guy like Peter Konz (who would immediately upgrade the RG position - watch the guy run-block to the right and pull in Wisconsin's offense... he's mean, nasty, and smart... and he's already got pro-size; as well as give us depth/longevity past Hardwick who is still playing well but already starting to decline).

Curry's got a lot of potential and I think he may be this year's Brooks Reed. His burst isn't great, but he's a monster effort player and has the flexibility to turn the corner on longer tackles. The main reason I'm against blowing an early 1st round load on Upshaw is because this class is going to be stacked with guys who don't have elite (Prime Merriman, Ware, Suggs, Matthews) ceilings, but can become very good starters - most of which will be available in the 2nd round even if there's a run on 1 or 2 guys early. Ronnell Lewis (best instincts of any edge rusher in the class), Bruce Irvin (best burst of anyone in the class), Brandon Lindsey (needs to improve versus the run but has shown flashes of brilliance and already familiar with playing out of a similar role), Curry, Brown, even Nick Perry (he probably has the highest ceiling of any in the draft, but also requires more work to get there than guys like Lewis, Lindsey, or Irvin).

I doubt he falls to the 3rd, but I'm a big Markelle Martin (OkSt) backer. He's not a Polamalu and not a Reed either, but the guy does a little bit of everything really well and nothing absolutely great; comparable to Green Bay's Nick Collins. He can cover TE's and slot receivers, he can play the last line of defense, he can blitz, and he is effective enough in run support because he actually is extremely technically sound in his tackling (he'll actually wrap and drag versus trying to lay the big hit on a guy and risk whiffing).

4. joeyjoe22

joeyjoe22 ECBOLTF

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    CB: Leonard Johnson- Iowa St. (Has shut down some very good WR's this season)
    WR: Michael Floyd - Notre Dame
    LB : Levonte David - Nebraska (This guy can fly)
    WR: Keshawn Martin- Mich St.
    WR: Marvin Mcnutt - Iowa
    DE: Melvin Ingram - South Carolina
    CB: Chase Minnifield - UVA
    FS: Markelle Martin - Ok St. ( could be a SS)
    OT: Ander Datko - FSU

These are just players who I have actually watched and been impressed with.
    Opinions?

5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    I think we should take Coples from North Carolina at DE with our first pick.. his draft stock has dropped due to the needs of other teams before are assumed position so i am hoping he can fall to us..

1. Quinton Coples DE - North Carolina
    2. Lavonte David LB - Nebraska
    3. Colby Fleener TE - Stanford
    4. Mike Adams OT (Hoping he falls here) - Ohio State
    5. Kendall Wright WR - Baylor
    6. Case Keenum QB - Houston*
    7. Blake Gideon S - Texas

Rivers is 30, looking into the future getting probably another 3-4 solid years from him.. I think Keenum will fall into the 6th round there are 10 QBs mocked before him.. so I think it would be worth a shot, get him mentored under Rivers and Volek as a 3rd stringer..

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    We want no part of Datko! The guy is the second coming of Alex Barron. He really only fits a zone-blocking scheme and neither of the FSU OT's have adequate lower body strength (or build) for a power-blocking offense.

Markelle Martin I do like (see above).

I like Levonte David, the problem is I don't see where he fits in our defense. He's built like a large safety (part of the reason he "flies" the way he does), but that kind of stuff isn't going to hold up at the pro level unless he's in a very specific type of defense (Cover-2). The issue is, because of his lack of size and height and his struggles with disengaging from blockers, he's pretty much strictly a 4-3 WILL at the next level without much other positional diversity. In short, he's Ernie Sims and will probably get drafted as such (late 2nd to early 3rd round). But Ernie Sims doesn't fit the 3-4 in the slightest.

I love everything Floyd brings on the field and hate everything he brings off the field. I literally feel the same way about him that I did about Kenny Britt: Million dollar body, ten cent attitude. And I can't justify spending a 1st round pick (what it will take to acquire Floyd) on a guy who will likely miss at least 4 games for suspension before his rookie deal expires, when there are guys like McNutt and Nick Toon who, while not straight up comparable to Floyd, can be close to that with a great QB - which Rivers is capable of being - and those guys will be available 2 whole rounds later.

As to Keshawn, I like him but I wouldn't spend a high or even Day 2 pick on him. If he's available in Rounds 6 or 7 (there's a possibility of that, really going to come down to how much the lack of speed among the receivers in this draft affects the stock of guys who are less-desirable prospects but that do have better speed), I have no problem taking a flier on him. Good guy to work in space, but really we seem to be able to identify these guys in UDFA pretty readily too - or at least Joiner seems to be able to work well with those guys.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    No way does Kendall Wright fall into the 5th. Maybe the Adams kid from Arkansas.

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    So say we collapse and go 5-11...we'll probably pick in the 6-10 range, and this is who is available....

WR Justin Blackmon
    OT Riley Reiff
    CB Dre Kirkpatrick
    CB Morris Claiborn
    OT Jonathan Martin
    DE Quentin Coples

Who do you take? Of course it won't look exactly like this, but if it did I would probably take Reiff or Kirkpatrick in that order.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Blackmon, Jefferey, Jones, Broyles, Floyd, Criner, Sanu, McNutt, Toon, and Hilton will all fall before him..

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Debatable on some of them. It really depends on what guys like Adams, Hilton, and to a lesser extent Wright run on the track. Fact remains, speed sells in the NFL. I believed it when I called Armanti Edwards and Andre Roberts getting drafted ahead of the likes of Dez Briscoe, Danario Alexander, and Mardy Gilyard. I still believe it now; in fact it may be even more prevalent this coming year when most WR's will be lucky to break into the 4.4's on their 40's.

• Like Like x 1
  11. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    I agree, for the most part speed is good to have, but most speed guys are all speed and no hands, i much rather have a possession receiver, than the likes of a heyward bey

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
  14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Whether its this year or next, we have to find that gem like Mike Wallace.. late 3rd rounder/4th rounder.. We have VJ (If we sign him him), I guess we'll keep Floyd, and Brown.. We need a 4th receiver who can go out there if one of those guys is injured and fill in the slot or wherever.. Especially Floyd who is yet to play a full season..

Wallace ran a 4.3 - all comes down to pro days and combines i guess.. we'll see come April, I just hope the Chargers can make the right decisions..

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I'll take quickness and hands over speed any day. Crisp route-running and good release off the snap can get a guy open deep just as effectively as just burning the corner on a go-route.

• Like Like x 1
  16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    This year has next to no speed guys - less if you actually factor in their hands (CoronaDoug will eat me alive for this but Streeter's hands are junk, I don't care how great his track speed is) as well as speed. There are 3, maybe 4, guys in the 2012 class that will likely run sub-4.4 and at least one of them is shorter than 5'9", and another that is 5'9" has minimal vertical jumping ability. If he can bulk up a little without losing his quickness, I like Roy Roundtree from Michigan coming out next year who just has that knack for getting open. As for this year, possibly a crack at FIU's Ty Hilton, Arkansas' Joe Adams (kind of the obvious one), or Mathews' former teammate Devon Wylie from Fresno State... though really if the 4th round rolled around and Ryan Broyles was still on the board, I'd take the flier on him to be honest. He's not a burner, but he's got enough speed to make a difference (reminds me of Mario Manningham).

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Yeah I really like Broyles..

Yeah I had noticed this draft doesn't present the speed as previous drafts.. Mike Wallace is just a freak of nature and so is Antonio Brown, those guys have cheetah speed and pretty good hands..

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    LaMichael James has declared. Bigger version of Sproles. I'm all about the beef, but we need to take a hard look at this kid. Move Tolbert to FB & pair James up with Mathews.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    we got Todman man! He will be our guy!

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Might be nice for him to get some reps so an assessment could be made before the draft. Either way, I don't think that Todman is going to be the dynamic athlete that James is.

Did you mean to put a sarcasm smilie there? ;)

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    No i mean Todman is very athletic.. if Norv gets the guy in there I promise you he will surprise people on this forum.. He might be small but he is strong.. 25 reps of 225 lbs the guy is only 5'9 - 193.. thats something ran a solid 4.4 as well..

He had over 3,000 rushing yards at UConn in three years and NO FUMBLES.. Even though he had one in pre-season but it was more his fault he didn't get a solid grip on the ball..

He took one back as a return man his freshman or sophomore year so I'd give him a chance there rather than Crayton..

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I liked Todman coming out of college as well. Just wondering whether we're going to get to see him.

James is still a very intriguing possibility, IMO.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    Based on all our needs and the fact we have Todman, Brinkley and another FB (Summers) waiting in the wings, I have a hard time imagining that we would select another running back especially with so many needs. Then again I thought similar last draft only to see us draft Todman, so who knows.

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Yeah.. what do you guys think of trading Jammer this off season for a 2nd rounder? I have more trust in Gilchrist, Cason, Hughes, and Wright then Jammer right now.. he's old and slow, we have Stuckey who can play SS so I don't think we should even hold on to him any longer and move on and try to get some value off him..

25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    And I would go as far as trading English for 1 5th rounder.. lol

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    We'd never get that for Jammer.

27. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    I think we could get a 2nd rounder off Jammer if the next team he goes to he becomes a SS..

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Maybe the Raiders. hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Then why don't we just move him to SS? Stuckey can't play SS, we tried, he failed. He was supposedly making greater strides in the limited camp we had this year because they switched him from SS to FS, but given the fact that our system has effectively implemented a dual-safety set versus a pure free and strong safety tandem, I don't have so much faith in Stuckey that I'd just bank the future of a position on him.

Jammer's stock is the lowest it's ever been because he's coming off his worst season since his rookie year (when he was still struggling with the fact that league rules prevented him from jamming the holy hell out of receivers at the line like he was able to get away with at Texas), so we'd be selling low and we'd get nowhere near even a Day 2 pick in an offer for him. We'd be lucky to see someone offer a 4th or 5th round pick for him, and I'd just as soon test him out at SS for the last year of his contract rather than take minimal value in return.

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    He'll still get torched.. I think Cason is improving after the fact the whole city was riding his back.. Gilchrist from many sources, looks like a "young Champ Bailey".. and if so next year is his year..

I'd rather get a 4th for him then try him out at SS.. for once he's never been able to catch the ball, and two he isn't the shutdown corner he used to be.. might have something to do with the lockout but he just looks so slow out there..

I'd gamble on Stuckey, he was great in college, give him this off season to work at that position and get focused and let him be, he's very athletic and has good hands..