1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

looking toward the draft here's the prospects i like

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    SS ...he can still break up passes, has ALWAYS played better with the ball in front of him, & can still attack the run & tackle just fine.

No reason to not give him a shot when, as LBC said, we're likely to get no better than a 5th for him. We took in Sanders, why not trust one of our own?
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    yeah but I just think its time for Stuckey to what he's got he was a great player at Kansas..
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I want to see what Stuckey is going to bring as well, but there's nothing to say that he won't win out in camp or that there won't be some platooning. you can never have enough good DB's in today's league.
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    You're right, it's time. Problem is, Stuckey hasn't pushed his way onto the field. For God's sake, we had to go back out and sign Paul Oliver who stunk it up in the preseason for the Saints and was never better than average for us in his time here. If Stuckey was ready - or will ever be ready - one would think the coaching staff would have given him more playing time by now.

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a great player at Kansas, he was good, but he was a tweener safety. That style of safety had fit our defense previous, may still fit our current defense (mostly because Weddle is a tweener and neither a pure strong or free safety), but I have serious doubts that Stuckey's not seeing the field is on account of the coaches holding him back versus him just not stepping up. And look at how we use our safeties... Jammer's not going to be getting torched by TE's and in fact he's more likely to play into his skill set there since you can get away with a lot more contact given that TE's aren't typically sent on many deep routes by most offenses - unless they've got an elite guy. Jammer's still very crafty and very effective against the run (arguably our best CB at that outside of Hughes).

I just can't see the blind faith in Stuckey - who to this point has proven absolutely nothing other than that he was a mid-round pick who couldn't even learn the playbook as a rookie. If anything, shift Jammer back to SS, draft a CB-to-safety convert (Trumaine Harris from Montana comes to mind since he has no future as a CB at the pro level but many attributes that could allow him to develop in to a fine safety) who mostly needs a year to add bulk and familiarize himself with the position. and if Jammer excels then extends him at a modest safety cost for another 2 or so years, and if not you've got either a guy ready to step in or a far superior safety class to select from.