1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

LT takes a big pay cut

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Where did I say run blocking good?

They were in my opinion. It is just the LT was slow to the gap in many cases. They were still pulling Clary, they were still putting Hester on a LB.

If you want to argue that Hester was no good, and Clary was no good that is fine. But it does not explain how Sproles and others were able to get yards where LT struggled.

I am one of the biggest LT fans. He was not 100% with us, and he was bitter on the way out. The FO didnt try and make him feel better either.

Even the best OL has only a few seconds that they can keep four to seven defenders off the RB or out of the backfield. Remember, with the long pass game teams try and get in the backfield more, because if LT is not running it, they can try and get a sack on Rivers. It is not just black and white OL...
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,545 / 7 / -2
    I disagree. Your RB has to be able to hit the hole when it is open. I sit in a very good position @ the stadium to see this (west end zone), and the holes WERE there, LT just did not have the burst to hit them as he once did. I don't care how good of a line you have, they can't sustain their blocks forever.

It wasn't JUST the line's fault, nor was it JUST LT's. Both failed, but only 1 took the blame.
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Do you mean the 3.7 yard per carry that Sporles was getting in 09 when LT was getting 3.3? Sorry, neither had a good year, and both were getting hit behind the line and both were running behind a poor line and bad running scheme.

Tolbert was the only one who ran well in 09, and that has a lot to do with his size and ability to make his own holes
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    And you disagree that teams were stacking the lines because the run was not as much of a threat, and they were trying to get to Rivers as well?
  5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,291 / 12 / -5
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    Tomlinson wasn't hitting the hole as he once could, that is not the blocking scheme. Tomlinson can never be replaced on the Bolt's and what he did will never be duplicated, he was the MAN. In the end that MAN got old and time caught up with faster than anyone thought, including the man himself. He could have ridden out his career in Dego but chose not to and went for the money, only he did choose to leave on bad terms and AJ dose hold some of the blame for that. The whole thing is just sad.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    That I agree with, unfortunately, the teams tried to put the blame on LT, which was evident by dumping him and not making any line changes
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,545 / 7 / -2
    So what you're saying is the team was wrong with their assessment of LT's diminishing skills?

I think he has pretty much proved them right after the way he played in NY behind what many would consider a much better Oline.
  9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6

DB67, this is what most are talking about. Tomlinson wasn't speaking the truth as the Jet's line was considered one of the best run blocking units in the NFL.
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    No, I am saying they were wrong in blaming him for 100% of the problem.

As for his time in NY, he had over 900 yards and rushed for over 4ypc, and did so on less carries than he had in 2009. Compare that to what he did his last year in SD, and that is WAY better.

I in no way think he was ever going to be a 1200 yard back again, just that his 730 yards in 2009 was not 100% his fault. As he showed in New York, with a quality line, FB, and a commitment to run the ball, he can still be an effective RB
  11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    True, and he improved his per rush average by about 33%. He could have done the same thing in SD if the line was run blocking like his line in New York did
  12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    LT also rededicated himself in the offseason and came into camp in much better shape. Nothing prevented him from doing that when he was still here..... he obviously didn't care as much then. And once again, he worn down as the season went on... great start, but didn't have the stamina for the long haul. face it, he's not the player he once was, but seemed unwilling to admit that. Instead, he blamed everyone else for his declining production. That is why LT gets criticized.
  13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,545 / 7 / -2
    No one ever blamed LT 100%, that's absurd. But when LT blamed 100% of it on other people, that too was absurd.

Better line + better offseason condition on LT's behalf certainly led to his short resurgence but even that was fleeting, much like the end of his career.
  14. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    Because the Jets used him in the preseason, he got off to a fast start, but it also helped lead to his early demise. There was a reason the Chargers managed his carries late in his career.
  15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,545 / 7 / -2
    The Chargers had been doing that most of his career, not just the last few years. That not playing in the preseason dates back to Marty. LT fizzled out toward the end of the season because he is OLD and spent too much of his energy at the front of the season trying to prove he was still the man.
  16. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +82 / 1 / -0
    LT is the one that turned his back on the Bolts by throwing the organization that made him who he is under the bus. Let's not forget about that.
  17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Tomlinson is a bitch and his legacy is tarnished (in my eyes) just like Brett Favre.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    The part where he regularly tripped over his own feet when he had gaps to hit.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    So releasing your RB and not making a single change on the line or making any scheme changes, isn't blaming the RB?
  20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,545 / 7 / -2
    He
    He was released because he requested it. Team wanted him to restructure and split carries and he said nope. Stop trying to repaint history to fit into your argument.
  21. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +135 / 3 / -0
    I think he took it because he's just trying to hang on for a few more season's. LT might have started out strong, but by the end of the season he was one of the "pine brothers". When he retires maybe i'll pull my #21 jersey out of the closet but not until then. When he trash talked his way out of town he really left a stench in the air that hasn't really gone away. It was a totally classless way to end his time here in San Diego.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 4 / -0
    But I thought he was classy? Didn't you ever hear him say so?
  23. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    you suck
  24. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    you are a classless fool too
  25. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    i always disliked you since i was a member here. go away and lose your moms computer fool
  26. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    yea youre a bitch for talking out your *** on a guy who kept you a chargers fan all this time. switch to the raiders *******
  27. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    **** this thread and go ahead and ban me. i met some of you people but you dont deserve to be called true chargers fans, i was born in encinitas but u bandwagoners keep disprespecting tomlinson . **** yourselves
  28. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,545 / 7 / -2
    That was classy.
    • Like Like x 2
  29. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    just like your buddy corona doug who says " Tomlinson is a bitch and his legacy is tarnished (in my eyes) just like Brett Favre." **** someone like that who comes to a chargers thread and calls a future chargers HOFer a bitch. and **** you too for defending him
  30. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,545 / 7 / -2
    the butthurt is overwhelming
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.