1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Manti Te'o to visit the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    He tried to keep the fact that he was duped massively by a cruel individual a secret, that's hardly a character issue.
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    And lying to his father isn't?

The truth was going to come out eventually... Lying about it only made him look worse, like he was part of the deception. You might not think that reflects poorly on his character, but others might disagree.... I do.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    The way I see it, what young male hasn't lied about or exaggerated a hookup before? I know for most of us we're not in the public eye, and it probably isn't anything as elaborate as this, but we do need to remember that this is a guy who most of us would call a kid, trying to cover up the truth to hide your embarrassment over a fake girlfriend is hardly as if he shot anyone or took drugs or anything to make him a hardcore criminal.

The boy was caught in a difficult situation, and he made the wrong choice by continuing the lie. If he could take it back he probably would, but I'd much rather a naive kid on my team than some dumbass who gets in trouble with the police or fathers Cromartie-levels of kids with just about any woman who smiles at him.

He made a mistake that, in my opinion, has got way overblown. You can be pretty sure he's learned his lesson after going through all this drama about it. It's not like they lock people up for this type of thing, it's a lie that spiraled out of control and showed poor judgment, nothing he can't learn from and use to try and become a better and wiser person.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    I'm not equating him with a Cro, or a juicer, but he perpetuated a lie publicly. This wasn't a little "white lie" he told his dad about why he was late getting back home one evening.

The statement was made that this situation didn't show a "character issue" with T'eo. I would disagree. You can argue about the extent of this character flaw, but it's a flaw nonetheless.

This wasn't a failed drug test, that a player could blame on a "tainted" supplement and nobody would be able to prove otherwise. The "woman" in question was a fake, and it was 100% discoverable that she didn't exist. When you are caught in this kind of embarrassing situation, what is to be gained by perpetuating the fraud?

And that's the point...... T'eo didn't just fail to come clean about the fraud, he embellished it...... becoming an active participant in that fraud. I don't see this as a minor point.

Manti T'eo would've shown real character if he came forward and told people what happened to him, when he realized he'd been duped. He should've known that there was no way to keep it secret, and the only real option was to tell the truth. The last thing you'd want going into an NFL draft is for teams to doubt your word...... he's now given them reason to.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Seeing how Telesco and McCoy have been very hush hush this entire off season I doubt they are going to want a media circus that is going to come with Te'o on this team as a distraction.

The other knock I would severely put on this kid is the BCS Championship game and the Combine, both in which he performed poorly in. The BCS game was supposedly because the "Cat Fish" thing and the combine was due to lack of sleep and stress. These are things players need to handle and put aside every Sunday. What if we made it to the play offs or more importantly, the Super Bowl this year, Do you really want a the game to be on the line by a guy who does not perform well under pressure?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    Hardwick throws up before every game..... but does it affect his on-field performance?........ no.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Same with Novak and his tiny bladder hahahaha
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    Even Cro, for all his idiocy, managed to run a kick back 108 yards for a TD when his mom was abducted by her ex-boyfriend.

Football players have to be able to block out the external issues, and just play the game. Admittedly, Cro's example is an extreme one.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    In the Cromartie family, that stuff happens every day
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    The "woman" was supposedly dead. He probably hoped that his dead fake internet girl friend would simply go away.
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Nice thought, but while you'll find plenty of front offices that try to set themselves up, when possible, for future drafts - you won't find a single one that will do so at the expense of the current season or one that plans on trading up the following year (and makes adjustments in the current draft accordingly). This is too much of a "what have you done for me lately" league for that.

And again, you can't just say "I say we trade back." Pretty much EVERY fan wants their team to trade back, mostly because the minds of most fans every prospect their team selects (or that they want their team to select) is going to meet or beat his ceiling, beat whatever odds are against him, and not encounter any adversity along the way. Also 23 seems like an arbitrary number. Is there some great reason we need to stay above the Vikings of all teams? You want any of the upper echelon OL in this draft, you need to stay above #20 most likely (and even that might not be safe if Arizona truly does throw positional premium out the window and view Warmack as BPA, since the Giants could very easily view Cooper as BPA at #19 and that's Jerry Reese's Round 1 strategy every year).

Extra draft picks are nice because they allow you to hedge your bets, but this team need young talent more than it needs young numbers. If you have high-level talent in the right places, you can get away with having mid-to-average level talent elsewhere and still be highly productive. Where we've been killed of late is that we get crap return (outside of Liuget) from our 1st round picks for whatever reason. Now the jury's still out on Ingram, but Mathews is playing from behind the 8-ball, Cason is gone and was rarely better than average, Buster Davis and Larry English were never even that, and prior to Liuget you have to go back to Cromartie (in 2006!) for a 1st round pick who was truly an impact player (and even then he managed to screw that up). Not every 1st round pick shoul be expected to pan out, but you expect a better rate of success than 2 out of 7 (with 1-2 outliers). You don't sacrifice quality for quantity. Steel sharpens steel. You get the best players you're able to get, get them on the field as often as you can, and then supplement by plugging in roleplayers around them to give them opportunities to shine.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Really? You honestly think it had nothing to do with him not wanting to come clean just before the final Heisman vote?

Even if I take him at his word, that he had no knowledge that there was no such person as Lennay Kekua after an "early December" call from the perpetrator of the hoax, he continued - even after the Heisman voting had finished - to perpetuate the lie himself tweeting, on the day of the Heisman presentation, that "Cancer took the lives of his grandmother and his girlfriend," this was, per reports, 2 days after he'd received that call from Tuiasosopo, and in fact received a 2nd phone call.

Not admitting you have a problem and continuing to lie to save your own butt when you know that continuing to do so has ramifications beyond just your individual self is symptomatic of a morale laxity that frankly some coaches and GM's won't be comfortable with. If he'll lie about this "to avoid embarrassment," what's to say he won't lie further down the line in similar fashion about a drunk driving episode, or having taken a tainted supplement, or having emotional symptoms resulting from a concussion that could indicate an incidence of more severe brain injury (these are just some examples, but all ones that - not that were lied about - have occurred quite recently in the NFL)?
  13. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 1 / -0
    lol, dude I enjoy reading your posts even if I disagree (which I don't in this case) but you always write a fuggin novel when you post. May be your calling if you aren't doing it already. Hahahaha.
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Admittedly, I'm long-winded. And I have been published. In respect to these kind of posts, I think I do it because I'm not the sort to rundown someone's opinion without giving detailed reasoning. I'm not just going to take a jab to take a jab. If I'm gonna pick a fight, I'm going to throw combinations and look to land the KO punch.
  15. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 1 / -0
    Well played sir. I boxed for 3 years so I can relate. I for one enjoy the knowledge being shared, as you definitely have more than I do. :tup:
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    Which was the point I was trying to make....... in fewer words, of course. ;)
  17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    I think he's a very talented player who'd be a hell of a lot better than Jonas Mouton IF we take care of our OL concerns first and if we either trade way back into late 1st/early 2nd or he falls to our original pick in second
  18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    That's why I keep you around, Blewy.
  19. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    BillClintonPointingPSed.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    Granting yourself special powers now? ;)
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Well, I'd like to think selling my soul would get me some perks. ;)
  22. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    I really don't much give a crap about his "character" issues. I just don't like him as a football player.
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    But if you combine the two, there's even less reason to like him as a prospect.
  24. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
  25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    And we'd be getting terrible value on Te'o. He's not worth a 1st round pick - honest and truly. Unless you've got a defense that is literally only missing a SILB in their front seven and have 3 linemen that can keep him clean and at least one above average edge-rusher who can close on a QB before Te'o has to sit in coverage for terribly long. Take Ogletree, maybe, but unless you're getting an elite ceiling player (which Te'o is most certainly not), the value in the 1st round for 3-4 ILB's is non-existent.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,376 / 36 / -16
    Ouch! :laugh: Sure you're not bein' just a tad harsh on the boy,
    just because you clearly aren't his type (i.e. "non-imaginary") ?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    No argument there. I suppose I should state it more clearly .... I didn't like him much as a football player before all of the drama.
  28. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    I'm hoping that they brought him in for a look in case he drops to us in the second round, I don't think firstly that the team can justify taking any ILB from this draft in the first round considering the greater needs, and secondly that like you said he'd represent good value for us in the first.
  29. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    Agreed........ even if you were to draft purely based on BPA, there's no way I'd see him as a 1st round pick.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    He's a middlin' 4-3 linebacker.... if you don't mix football and swinging incense, it helps to analyze ND players.