1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Many Chargers players were pushing for Pagano to replace Phillips.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings Received:
    +1,703 / 0 / -0
    <!--ClickabilityRefresh=10m--><!--- SAFE:SafeMode --->Chargers have another coaching vacancy to fill

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER February 9, 2007

Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith certainly would have considered Phillips for the team's head coaching job following Marty Schottenheimer's expected departure after the upcoming season.
    “There is no question that this hurts,” Smith said. “I don't know if it's a setback. I don't know. I know the system is in place. We've got good players.”
    Schottenheimer likewise attempted to temper the anticipated impact Phillips' loss will have.
    “It's a part of our league; it always has been,” Schottenheimer said. “He did a terrific job, and I know he will be missed. But we still have pretty good football players. We are going to maintain the same system as we move forward.”
    Schottenheimer did acknowledge that in 21 seasons as a head coach he has never had two coordinators hired away in the same year.
    He will not lose any more coaches.
    Even if Phillips wanted to take defensive backs coach Brian Stewart or assistant linebackers coach John Pagano to be his defensive coordinator, Schottenheimer will not allow it. Schottenheimer knows it will be Phillips calling the defensive plays in Dallas.
    Many Chargers players were pushing for Pagano to replace Phillips.
    Schottenheimer praised Pagano but left open the possibility he will go outside to fill the job.
    “I don't want to speculate,” Schottenheimer said. “We still have some ground to plow.”
    Pagano, who also arrived before the '04 season, is in charge of in-game adjustments to the run defense. He also runs the scout team during practices. Players on both sides of the ball have long praised his teaching skills and understanding of the game.
    “Pagano is a smart coach,” Merriman said. “A lot of people don't know it but he has a lot of input on what happens on the defense. He was the guy in the background, but he was the guy that had a lot of input.”
    Said Williams: “If you look behind the scenes you'll know who does all the hard work. He knows the defense front and back.” Hart, here as a guest of Pro Bowler Kassim Osgood, said, “Hopefully Pagano comes in and keeps us in the same groove. We don't need a lot of changes.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070209-9999-1s9chargers.html