1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mathews has broken the other clavicle

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by FCBolt, Dec 16, 2012.

1. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
  4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Hey, AJ might get fired....
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I would begrudgingly tolerate a RB being drafted in the 4th, maybe.
  7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Not a bad idea on FA.
    I'd put OT and CB in front of RB, but it's solid #3. Where the RB gets picked depends on BPA at position of need type of decision, imo.
  8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    It really helps to have a decent one. Granted, they're available in the 3rd-5th, but you've gotta have a decent scouting staff. And listen to them.
  9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    boy needs more calcium in his diet...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    I would much rather just carpet bomb CB & OL with getting some kind of QB to develop over time. But now I don't see how the team can afford to let Mathews be the bell cow without at least drafting someone to help. Heck I'd like to bring back Hester as a backup running back just to provide depth and someone that can pass protect and get tough yards, but we need another RB of some kind
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    OT, CB, and OLB are all squarely ahead of RB. So is G, and you could probably make an argument for C. RB is not a draft priority for this team. No RB is going to go anywhere behind this o-line.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    How many more years are we going to deal with this guy with his injuries and fumbles?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Probable bust at this point. He's failed the "stays on the field" test, even if he's had quality games when not injured.
  14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    OLB? No way. Wait a year on that one and go first round in 2014 to replace Phillips.
    If they can pick up a decent FA, they can wait on RB too. If not, the offense is going to be ******. Brinkley and Battle aren't going to get it done behind the 2007 Chargers OL.
  15. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    I would not say he has had quality games when not injured. Average at best.
  16. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    If we want to give him another year until we draft Duke Johnson then I am fine with that. ;)
  17. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Ryan Mathews breaks another clavicle, out for year

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 16, 2012, 8:32 PM EST

Whether he’s “somebody else’s fumbler” next year or not, Ryan Mathews isn’t going to be the Chargers’ for the next two weeks.

According to Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego, the Chargers running back suffered a broken left clavicle Sunday in the loss to the Panthers, and will miss the rest of the season. He broke his right clavicle in the preseason.

Mathews left the field in the second quarter, telling his teammates “I think I broke it.”

He was right, and will be placed on injured reserve this week.

“I just hate it for him,” fullback Le’Ron McClain said. “Just him bouncing back the way he did after the first one. Going into the game, he felt good today. I could see a different look in his eyes today. We were giving the ball a few times, seeing what he could do. He made a few plays, a few great runs. It sucks to come down with an injury like that.”

Mathews is a talent, but he worries you with his (lack of) durability as well as his (lack of) ball security.

Whether the next Chargers administration wants to give him a chance to redeem himself next year remains to be seen.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/16/ryan-mathews-breaks-another-clavicle-out-for-year/
  18. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    The guy breaks every time somebody looks at him sideways. Methinks the fellow ought to be taking Boniva, vitamin D and calcium...oh, and using a walker and some bubble wrap.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    Thank goodness there are only two clavicles in the human body.
  20. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    It's a shame, because the kid was really doing good.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    I dunno... all the preseason hype about him and the season has been a total disaster. I still think he has it but you have to wonder at this stage. He has never broken a long one, seems to fall over too easily and esp gets hurts far too often. I'm not even gona mention the fumbles, compared to Rivers he's great at holding onto the ball!!!.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    I think Mathews was misused from day one this season; his first game back getting benched, the desire of Norv to keep him on the bench as much as possible and not let him get into a rhythm. Look he's been injured this year but it's not like he was given the opportunity to get out there when he was healthy, and that was when any sane person would rather give it to your more talented #1 back then a washout #2 overall pick & a failure living off his success in two games.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    That has nothing to do with his inability to stay on the field. When he is on the field, he's supremely average. He has no moves at the second level. He's a good back, but not a special one, and certainly not worthy of a 12th overall pick.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    I'm not denying he was especially injury prone this year but I'm noting when he WASN'T injured he wasn't given many opportunities to get on the field and play. Norv decided to use Battle & Brown much more than Mathews especially during crucial opportunities.
  25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    I agree that Norv totally misused him. Esp taking him out every time we got near the goal line but I'm also starting to come around to the fact that he is simply a decent back nothing more. And definitely not worth moving up to #12 for. Another legacy of AJ's stupidity in the draft.

The pick of Mouton in the 2nd is the worst case of his drafting in my opinion even worse than the Larry or Sammy Davis or Buster picks.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I'm not talking about just this season. He's yet to consistently demonstrate an ability to be effective at the second level. Does he have the burst to turn the corner? Yes, but he never does anything once he gets there. He also never does anything once he clears the front seven on inside runs. He's just not an exceptional runner. He's had hundreds of opportunities to show these traits, and he simply hasn't.

Maybe he can be a back who can do these things. But I'm not optimistic.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  27. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +135 / 3 / -0
    You aren't far from the truth... looking up his career stats... his longest this season is 24 yards and longest career is 42.

But his real problem is that he can't gain yardage or score TDs when his a$s is always hurt and on the IR.

This team is made up of nothing but fragile Vaginitis prone players that AJ has acquired.

AJ has drafted too many stiffs like Mathews that just keep getting hurt. The IR is littered with his picks of the last few years. Names like Buster, Mathews, English, Mouton, Molk, V Brown, Kaeding, Bigbe, Vasquez, (or name nearly anyone on the O-line) come quickly to mind but there's probably more. Face it he signed perennially injury-prone Gaither to replace the oft hurt Marcus McNeil (whom we drafted knowing full well he had back issues).

AJ's drafting and FA signings turned us into the San Diego "China Dolls".
  28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Great stat for everyone this season, RM has more broken clavicles than TD's this season :D
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    We all knew about Big Mc's spinal issues but for a 2nd rounder he was great value imho. He played great at LT for quite a few years. Most didn't think he'd last as long as he did.

But you are right we've sure drafted some physically weak individuals or.......... could it be that our training/medical staff are crap?, I'm thinking these guys have alot to do with it. Look at LT and Brees they had/have their own trainers and never got/get hurt. Same goes for Cason, you hear about him working out on his own and he seems to be pretty robust.
  30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    There's no doubt that the medical staff is suspect. However, LT was hurt quite a bit in the later years. Par for the course for a RB with as many carries as he had..