1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

matilack Mock Draft 1.0

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, Feb 19, 2012.

?

How would you grade this mock?

1. A

20.0%
  2. B

20.0%
  3. C

40.0%
  4. D

20.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    My first real mock of the offseason, I just want to do it before the combine and everyone accuses me of being swayed by measurables.

First thing I should mention is I'm assuming right now we'll re-sign Gaither, Hardwick, Garay, Harris, Hester, Dombrowski, and Sperry. Second thing is that I'm assuming we'll lose McNeill, Jackson and Tolbert, and cut Castillo. Also....we will not sign Mario Williams, Cliff Avril, or Robert Mathis.

1st) OLB Nick Perry: I'm not wowed by this guy, but he'll be the best player available at a position of need. With Shaun Phillips and Antwan Barnes in contract years we'll want to develop at least one pass rusher this year to have him ready to start in 2013.

Secondary option: I know it'd be surprise but I'm in the process of really liking Kendall Wright, he reminds me of a Mike Wallace/Steve Smith clone. Also Janoris Jenkins is worth a look despite his character issues.

2nd) CB Chase Minnifield: I'm sure it seems like a bit of a reach to some of you, but he reminds me of Brandon Flowers. Ideal size, A+ insticts, A+ character, A+ duribility, can return kicks, play FS or nickle if needed, and he's willing to stick his nose in and make a tackle. I don't care what the pundits say about "value picks" this guy can play football.

Secondary option: TE Orson Charles, we need a fallback option for Gates but I passed on Charles because of his blocking. Also WR is a desperate need but I don't love anyone here.

3rd) RB Isaiah Pead: If there is a guy who could skyrocket before the draft its Pead, he's a north/south runner with amazing agility and a burst into the 2nd level. Can cut through arm tackles, a willing blocker, I really like him as a 3rd down back.

Secondary options: OG Amini Silatolu, or RB Chris Polk.

4th) OT/OG Matt McCants: An OT that I would move inside, he's a great puller and good at blocking in space. He could also start at RT when Clary fails.

Secondary options: Tommy Streeter, I would not be opposed at all to a purely potential motivated pick like Streeter. NT Akiem Hicks.

5th) DE (5-tech) Tyrone Crawford: A solid 5-tech prospect. Has protype size and length, anchor at point of attack, and quick enough to penetrate on 3rd downs.

6th) TE Beau Reliford: A rising prospect on my board could be worth a 4th round pick eventually. I really like this guy as a high potential prospect. He's a former basketball player and at 6'5 260 he moves well in space, has big soft hands, and some speed to stretch the middle He's got the size to be a good blocker, but is very raw. He's got Jimmy Graham type potential.

7th) SS Kelcie McCray: In short, he's a good athelte and a decent SS prospect. Better than anything we have at the moment.
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    Perry seems to be the most logical unless he just blows people away at the combine and shoots up the boards> I don't particularly like spending a second on a cornerback when we spent two second day picks on cornerbacks last year, and I really don't like spending a third on another running back unless we lose both Tolbert & Hester (and even then I don't like the idea with Brinkley at #2). I'd look at strong safety, inside linebacker or tight end as you mentioned on the second day. I do like Reliford as a developmental prospect and I honestly don't know anything about McCray or Crawford to make a statement.
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Just to clarify the logic I was using about our DB situation...

Jammer: 1 year left, if he's not a cap casualty first.
    Cason: 1yr on his contract, very inconsistant, the change at DC can only help but if he has another bad year I don't think its a sure thing he gets re-signed.
    Gilchrist: A nickle/saftey, doesn't have the size or speed to replace Jammer on the perimeter.
    Hughes: A nickle/safety.
    Wright: Decent prospect on college film, but another guy with stone hands.
    SS: Just an incredibly weak class. Hope we hit it in FA.

I figure why wait? We know for sure we'll need at least 1 next year.

Brinkley? Great kid, but to put it nicely he's a practice squad lifer. He's not as fast as Mathews, as powerfull as Tolbert, as quick as Pead, or as versatile as Sproles......he's just a guy. Pead is one of those guys we can play without sacrificing any big play ability when we take Mathews out.
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,779 / 47 / -26
    Where's the NT?......... #imjustasking ;)
  5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    very well my friend.. think i will make one of my own.. mods will probably be pissed lol
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Why? Make away...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,779 / 47 / -26
    Just as long as you don't make one too. ;)
  8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I gave you a B bro.. I think Minnifield can be a round 1 pick with a solid combine and individual workouts.. I can see the Patriots using one of their two 1st-rounders on him.. Tight End also I really like Green cause he has great size and decent speed similar to Gates and could be a duo we need similar to what New England has but more box out guys with better hands
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    If anything based on this class of free agents with some real gems out there (Carr, Porter, etc), if the Chargers wanted to they could definitely go out and get a good cornerback. That plus Cason (one more damn chance), Gilchrist and Wright should be a solid group of CB. SS I don't care just fix it, either draft (Iloka, Barron, Guy) or FA
  10. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Draft smaft. Until TC they are not Chargers...
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,779 / 47 / -26
    And even then, only one year at a time. ;)
  12. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    To bad that doesn't work for the GMs too, huh?
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,779 / 47 / -26
    One always makes an exception to one's rule for one's self....... #imjustsaying ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    If you draft falls the way it does, I can't give it anything less than a B/B-. I don't think Minnifield falls anywhere near #17 in the 2nd (where we'll be picking barring a trade-up); I won't be shocked if he creeps into the bottom of the 1st because - like Bradley Fletcher a couple years ago - too many teams love/covet tall corners. And while he's a little bit light (we'll see what he weighs in at the combine at), Minnifield's also among the most pro-ready corners in this draft that still has quality upside (i.e. isn't a type that hasn't already maxed out his ceiling).

I could see an argument for Pead in the 3rd, but quite frankly I think it's wasteful to spend a 3rd on a RB when one of the few things this scouting department has done consistently well is identify quality late round and UDFA running backs. I agree we need a weapon, but between the WR's and the TE's there are guys that should be there that have roughly the same value as Pead and likely bring a bit more to the table (and I say this being a big Pead fan... just not being able to justify us spending anything above a value-4th or 5th on a RB like we did last year).