1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

matilack's first 7 round mock of 2013

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, Jan 13, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    11 - LOT Eric Fisher 6'7 310: This is self explanatory, if the O-line cant give Rivers time he becomes nothing more than a very expensive punching bag. Fisher really doesn't have any weakness from a physical stand point, the only reason he's not a top 5 pick is because he plays in a smaller division...and rightfully so.

45 - ROT Justin Pugh 6'6 295: (with credit to LBC) As much as we need CB help I can't take another year of Jeromey Clary. I'm not as big on the "this guy can only play one side thing", so I'm going to take Pugh here and move him to right tackle. He's an upgrade in every possible way over Clary in pass protection, he has light feet, great body control, does a very good job when guys try to bull rush despite being a little undersized, hell if we miss on Fisher in the 1st this guy may be worth a look in the 2nd.

76 - CB Jamar Taylor 5'11 195: This was the hardest round to pick, so much of me wants to go OG and continue the O-line purge, but I just don't believe Larry Warford will be here at this point and anyone else is a reach. So BPA. Taylor is extremely quick, extremely fast (reported 4.3 speed), not a bad tackler, has the size to boot...so why is he a 3rd round pick? Injuries of course, and level of competition. This is a guy I want for the future, not starting in 2013.

107 - OLB Jamie Collins 6'3 240: Great size/speed combo, and good flexibility and change of direction as a pass rusher, and looks natural dropping into coverage. Red flags (as they will all have at this point) not a great tackler, doesn't always get off the snap on time, and a little undersized for an every down player. I'd compare him favorably to Antwan Barnes.

138 - TE Travis Kelce 6'5 260: I really like this kid, he can line up in the slot and run a route like a WR, he can set up next to the OT and become a very solid all around blocker. He's also a very good red zone threat as he came down with 7 TDs this year. Kelce is just a fun guy to watch play, he does everything well. I'm not sure he's going to fall this far anymore, he may be worth a look in the 4th....if he has a great combine fughetaboutit.

171 - RB Ray Graham 5'10 190: Has some Sproles to him, can turn a crease into 50 yards before you know it. Doesn't run through arm tackles as well, and of course is an injury risk. But 2 years off his torn ACL and I think he'll get faster and quicker than he was in 2012.

204 - OG Mark Jackson 6'5 340: Just a big mofo from a small school I'd like to take a flyer on. I can also see us going RB again, or SS, or ILB.

Really I couldn't find a good spot to take our LG of the future, unless Barrett Jones falls to the 2nd or Warford falls to the 3rd round (unlikely IMO) I think we're going to be S.O.L.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I'd be pretty happy with picking up 2 early tackles and a CB

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    Great mock! The hardest pick IMO will be the 11th. Do we take a LT knowing (like it or not) Gaither will be there? 10 mil is on roster 10.5 to cut. Are they really going to pay 10 mil to have him as a back up? would we burn the first round pick on a guy who will only be able to contribute if injury occurs? if a Mingo, Werner or Milliner are still on the board. I love Fisher and all that he will bring but like I said it's the toughest decision.

Another guy who intrigues me is CB Robert Alford Southeasten Louisiana, Small school prospect who established himself to be one of the elites in the league, he has been invited to play in the Senior Bowl so I'm going to keep a close eye on him to see how he matches up against the Wr's from bigger schools.

Lastly another, Kwama Geathers 6'6" 355 is a behemoth who is slated to go anywhere from 4-6 would be someone I'd look at to being our NT of the future

Overall I'd be stoked if our mock fell like that

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    While I absolutely endorse getting two tackles, I wonder if the team might be better suited getting Fischer in the first, maybe going CB in the second (I'm high on Trufant but the CB from UCONN is good too) and then in the third going with someone like Brennan Williams from UNC. I also endorse looking at Geathers; he's a big guy who just needs some seasoning

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    Thought about it, I like the idea of fixing the CB situation via FA and the offensive line via the draft.
    Cason: Did enough late to warrant a modest 2-3 year deal.
    Wright: I still have hope this guy can be a legitimate starting CB.
    Gilcrhist: Also finished strong, although I never believed he was going to be a starting CB at this level he's a decent nickle.

If we can re-sign all the obvious necessary guys, and scrounge enough money to grab one guy like Derek Cox, Carey Williams, DRC or Brent Grimes (not a Sean Smith fan myself), and draft a high upside prospect like Taylor, Simon. Davis or hell even the Honey Badger later on I would be fine with that group for now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4

There's alot of needs to fill and there's no real position that's easy to fill in FA for us unfortunately. We need to re-sign likely Vasquez, Barnes (for sure)and maybe Phillips in addition to jettisoning some serious dead weight. The team needs to fill some easy spots via FA (likely CB, ILB, maybe a guard or some OL depth). I agree with you about carpet bombing the OL position but considering that the OL trough has been somewhat depleted lately, it might be harder to do that then before.

7. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +121 / 4 / -1
    I disagree with going OT 2 rounds in a row. While yes, we do need OT help, i think RT is a position we can fill in FA's for a stop gap, and draft a future replacement (a guy i really like for that is Menalik Watson but i think he'll go higher come draft day, than 4th/5th round due to just FREAKISH athleticism) in the later rounds. I think taking a mauling OG is much more important than a RT. I'd take something more like this...

1st: Eric Fisher/Chance Warmack OT/OG, CMU/Bama
    2nd: Travis Frederick/Justin Pugh (he's good as a LT IMO) OG/OT, Wiscy/Syracuse
    3rd: Cornelius Carradine DE/OLB, FSU
    4th: Sanders Commings/Terry Hawthorne CB, Georgia/Illinios
    5th: Menalik Watson OT, FSU
    6th: Zac Stacey RB, Vanderbilt
    7th: Michael Mauti ILB, Penn State

8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +529 / 13 / -3
    Yeah I like this a lot. Only worry I have is the ILB position, because there aren't many 3-4 MLB's that Butler can pair up with. And I'd like to draft one reasonably high. I like Pugh, but I think he might be a bit undersized for a top 50 pick. But then again I think he'll shoot up the board because of his athleticism. Who knows at this point, could go either way. I like Kyle Long a little better though, and I think he'll have a top 50 grade for sure after a strong senior bowl and combine. Long played all over the OL for the Ducks, except center, I believe.

1. LOT Eric Fisher, 6'7, 310 : Simple, need a LOT.
    2. ROT Kyle Long, 6'7, 311: Simple, need a ROT.
    3. ILB A.J. Klein, 6'1, 244: Need an ILB with Butler, adds little more weight and he's a stud.
    4. TE Jake Stoneburner, 6'5, 245: I see too much Aaron Hernandez in this kid.
    5. OG Blaize Foltz, 6'4, 310: A monster, I doubt he falls here, his stock is rising.
    6. RB Montel Harris, 5'9, 208: Will take over Ronnie Brown's (if he stays) duties in 2014/15. 3rd down guy, very good at picking up blitzs' and catching the ball out of the backfield.
    7. DT Kapron Lewis-Moore, 6'4, 300: I don't think Notre Dame's DL got enough credit this year, they made things happen for Manti Te'o. And when they were on Manti was on.

Obviously I see us improving at OLB & CB through free agency this year (In 2014 draft, spend top picks on CB & OLB), with some solid pass rushers there, and CB2 - potential CB1's and nickel corners. I really like Paul Kruger, and I think Jarret Johnson should do everything in his power to lure him here. I don't think he's out of the ball park in regards to $$, I believe he's affordable, especially what guys like Avril, Barwin, Freeney, Harrison, Phillips, Spencer and Umenyiora will price themselves up at. Trevor Scott, Quentin Groves, and Erik Walden are all guys who can rotate effectively in as well.

I would like an OL like the 49ers, but you have to waste a few first rounders on the OL, (Staley, A. Davis, and Iupati) But, why not start with a guy who is so similar to Joe Staley. Both CMU grads, both play LOT.

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    Not bad at all, not a huge fan of Kyle Long but beggars can't be choosers.

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +529 / 13 / -3
    your not? I don't think he's 2nd round material but I think thats where he'll go. I'm skeptical of anyone who comes out of Oregon as an OL, but you know he is well conditioned playing in that offense. He's a good run blocker as well. He still is raw, but he has the potential to be a great OT and also can play OG. We have to be looking at versatility with OL in this draft, due to the fact we've been so unlucky with injuries throughout the years and having to sign these guys off the street instead of filling the area of need with one of our own. That's why I think we should retain Dombrowski as well, but thats a whole other topic.

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    I think Pugh at 45 is a better value, but I'd take Long in the 3rd if he fell. Really anyone but Clary is good for me, I seriously can't take another year of watching him get spun by Von Miller.

They showed some highlights of Rivers struggling today on NFL Network, and more than a couple times I saw Clary looking down at Rivers apologetically. The guy has no business playing RT anymore, he'll be lucky to salvage a career at OG.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +529 / 13 / -3
    Can't agree more.. I'm sure Pugh will raise his stock, he just needs to add about 5-10 pounds of muscle..

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +938 / 15 / -1
    Cornelius Carradine isn't going higher than the 5th round. I know that some will say, "well, look at his tape this year." And my response remains the same... "and his tape last year shows what exactly?" Teams draft based off of being able to get clear reads on players - and those they can't read as well they aren't willing to risk as high a selection on. Carradine has one year of quality tape and he's in a position where he's guaranteed to start the 2013 season on the PUP and may not even be able to recover to full playing capacity till 2014. Teams were willing to take guys like Bruce Carter and Antonio Cromartie earlier in the draft on the come and give them a "medical redshirt" as rookies because they had tape to justify the draft position and they weren't losing a year of service (they'd still get 4 contract years out of the player, they'd just have to wait potentially a year for that period to start).

It's a little different with Carradine. He has one year of tape. No way to know if it's a fluke performance or not. No way of being able to run him through drills prior to the draft to check his actual performance against whatever numbers are reported by his school. He's got the draft ceiling of O'Brien Schofield (bottom of the 4th round) as he's in a very similar situation, if not slightly worse since Schofield at least had some timing and measurement scouting he was able to go through for the Shrine game as well as the game itself before he tore his ACL in Senior Bowl practices.

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    The 1 year of tape is not really an indicator of draft position anymore, you could have said the same about Whitney Mercilus and still he went 1st round and had an inspiring rookie year. Also I don't believe Cromarite was ever really a starter in college, so I'm not sure what you meant by having the tape to justify that pick.

The only concern for me is weather he has the mental makeup to put in the work recover fully from the ACL injury like (just for example) Donald Butler did. I'd probably spend our 3rd on him if there were no OL or CBs that wowed me. Cuz I'll be a honest, on that one year of tape he impresses me more than Melvin Ingram did (at least as a pass rusher) at this time last year.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +938 / 15 / -1
    Whitney Mercilus still was able to test at the combine and wasn't likely to miss half of his rookie season recovering form injury. When you throw all those factors into one big pile - which is what you've got with Carradine (single year of meaningful tape, sure-fire to start 2013 on the PUP, won't be able to do much more than weigh and measure at the combine if he even got an invite). A single year of tape is less of a worry if you can run a guy through drills to test the questions you have about his abilities that have risen from there not being enough tape to suffice. That won't be an option for scouts with Tank.

And yes, you'd take him off of a single year of tape and so would a number of fans. Most scouting departments though have shown they're not as apt to.

As for Cromartie, you're right, he never started and that's why there was limited meaningful tape on him. He was largely the nickel back and the prime returner, but in nickel duty he did see some time playing the boundary prior to his knee injury. Schofield is honestly the better example.

16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    Just a quick question, do you guys see any scenario where the Chargers select a QB in this draft to develop?
    Like a Tyler Bray, I recall McCoy saying he'd be all for bringing in a young guy for Rivers to mentor. Not that I want to see anyone replace Rivers, in fact I'd love to see him restructure his deal to help us with cap and also see him get more years

If so who are some options you see fitting?

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    Initially, I kinda wanted Manti Te'o...but now I'm not sure if he exists...

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    Not this year. Too many needs, and I don't believe Rivers is as bad as he's looked the last 2 years.

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +529 / 13 / -3
    I think we will need a young QB to develop either next year or the following. If Aaron Murray is a 2nd round grade next year and falls to us I think that will be a steal. But, doubt he will fall in the 2nd next year but who knows what happens next year.

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    Yeah, this. Lets talk about the backup QB of the future next year.

21. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    I think one of the changes that our new GM is bringin is moving in FA early. And I like our chances of knocking out one or two critical positions of need before we even get to draft day.

22. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -0

Hahahahahaha! Watching that is absolutely heart wrenching! lmao!

23. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    This is kind of a crazy thought, that someone mentioned to me the other day and I kinda laughed at. but is there a tiny chance of our next backup QB being Tebow?

My friends argument was something like this: He'd likely come cheaper than Clipboard Jesus, Whisenhunt and McCoy could be good tutors for him even if he doesn't play a single snap, and is a more durable runner than any of our RBs lol.

I said highly unlikely / impossible, but I do hope an NFL team does give him a roster spot, he is a nice guy and I feel the Jets kinda screwed him over a little.

24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    No! with Tebow comes a circus

I would rather spend a late pick on Aaron Rodgers Kid brother and have our coaches mentor him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    Yeah, I certainly agree, and don't think it would ever happen or even that our team has even thought about it, but when it was mentioned to me at work, I thought I'd ask what you guys think. If nothing else it makes an interesting thought...

• Like Like x 1
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Screw him. He is a complete phony and I hope not a team in the league gives him another chance, he has done nothing to prove he deserves another shot. The only thing he brings to a team is a media circus, at least as long as he insists on playing QB. He he was willing to play H-Back/TE, then I think he could be a good player. But he is a terrible QB and doesn't deserve a roster spot as a QB

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    1. Tyran Mathieu CB
    2. Manti Te'o LB - Notre Dame
    3. Matt Barkely QB - USC

FA- Tim Tebow, Brain Urlacher
    Re-sign - QJ, Gaither
    Cut - Rivers, Spikes

28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    Syracuse junior T Justin Pugh checked in with 31 and 4/8ths inch arms during Senior Bowl weigh ins, but did measure in at 6'4 and 7/8ths and 301 pounds.
    Pugh will suffer from the same pre-draft criticism Reilly Reiff did last year, but the Syracuse products tape is still pretty solid. He still sports a desirable frame and solid mobility, but if Pugh struggles to handle edge rushers' length this week, expect many to point to his shorter arms.

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,256 / 38 / -21
    As silly as it may sound, its a justifiable reason IMO to drop an OT a round or two.

His tape is very impressive though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +938 / 15 / -1
    Short arms are a concern though. I think this is certain to keep Pugh out of the 1st round . And it, barring a similar measurement, firmly moves Dallas Thomas above him for me. Meanwhile, the guys I tweet with that are in Mobile are raving about the build, frame, and shape Fisher, Johnson, and Long are in (all three I've heard "ideal body" and "no fat whatsoever" about). Sounds like legitimate beef and not jelly.

• Like Like x 1