1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

matilack's first 7 round mock of 2013

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, Jan 13, 2013.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I'd be happy with Fisher, Johnson or Long. Fisher is my obvious first, but I think Johnson and Long will make strong cases for themselves in the Senior Bowl. Can't wait to watch.
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Heard lots about Fisher today.

Its not surprising, but it's unsettling. If only we were 2 or 3 spots higher I'd be more comfortable.
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Long is not gonna happen. For a team that claims to "build from the draft", I think paying an injury prone former #1 pick an exorbitant amount of money sounds extremely unlikely.

I could see Albert being of interest if he got away from the Chiefs, but there would be multiple teams in on that.
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I think he meant Kyle Long
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I get why people get nervous (because LT is a premium position) but again... we aren't going to see the "experts" projecting more than 2 (3 at most) QB's go in the 1st round (let alone the Top 10) until after the combine - it's just kind of the way it works, but it generally takes that long for a relative pecking order to be worked out in a class that lacks clear-cut favorites like Luck or Griffin (even Sam Bradford wasn't considered to be a lock to go #1 overall until he started doing his team visits and private workouts).

Remember when I said two years ago, in Cam Newton's class, that 5 QB's would go in Round 1 and everyone thought I was nuts because of the perceived "weakness" of the QB class? It's just the way the league works, whether it's terribly popular with the fans of QB needy teams or not - they don't wait until the 2nd or 3rd rounds when the prospects are considered to be better "value" for two reasons:
    1) One good run on QB's and they're not longer picking the guy they like best from a large pool of available ones; they're picking whatever scraps are left.
    2) With a franchise QB you can build around being the all-important, primo position in this league, for teams that lack one it's actually more sensible and "cheaper" in the long run to reach with a 1st round pick to get the guy you deem to be a "franchise-caliber" guy than it is to have to forfeit multiple picks to move back into the 1st from your second if a run on the position starts and you get worried he won't slip to your 2nd round selection. For many of these teams, it's more beneficial to come out of the draft with 3 potential starters (especially if one is a QB they think they can build around) than it is to come out with one other high end prospect, the QB they like, and not be picking again until Day 3 (because there's no way you're trading back into the 1st without using at minimum your 2nd round pick, likely your 3rd round pick, and possibly even a future 2nd or 1st depending on how high you need to go to get your guy).
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I understand that, my concern is primarily Arizona. What if Arians isn't enamored with any of the QB prospects and thinks he can fix Kevin Kolb, or trades a pick for Ryan Mallett, or Alex Smith...what is stopping them from taking the best available tackle?

And there is always Miami at 12, who I'll feel a lot better if they just re-sign Jake Long. Also St. Louis at 16 has more than enough ammunition to do whatever they want for the next couple years and they are nearly as desperate as we are at LT.

Its just me being paranoid, its gonna be like this for the next couple months.
  8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    If there's no one available at LT at 11, then that guarantees us a good defender on the board, and we'll draft a tackle in the 2nd. Alternatively, we won't draft a tackle in the second, and Harris will be our LT, and we'll probably suck again this season, but will likely have a top pick next year.

Don't worry about it, and think back to our triumphs over the Steelers, Jets, and Raiders under Norv's glowering eye if you become distressed!
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Or option "C" Johnson, Long, and Pugh impress so much in the Senior Bowl/Combine/Pro days
    They move up into the first round. Tackles for Everyone!!!!!!!!:abq1:

Im hoping with Arians being a great OC and a QB guy, this being his first gig at HC, he is going to want his own QB

Miami: If They let Long walk, I'm hoping for now they are content will Martin and Yeatman for now.

St. Louis will be our biggest threat, the bad news is they do have plenty of picks to move up, the good news they have plenty of needs and will most likely use every single one of those picks upgrading trying to find a lot of talent
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Pugh's short arms are going to knock him down quite a bit, he's also a bit undersized in general.

I'm a Duck fan, and still I've never been a Kyle Long fan, at least not at OT, he was a much better guard in college.

I could live with Lane Johnson if we trade down a little and salvage some value, but it will be a tough pill to swallow if we have to take him at 11.
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I don't believe Arians is going to have as much pull in personnel decisions in Arizona as you're giving him credit for. Steve Keim is likely running that show as far as the draft is concerned and Arians will have some influence - but this is the same guy who in his offenses put little to any emphasis on developing the OL in Pittsburgh and Indy. From everything I've heard about Keim he's a BPA advocate with an emphasis on upside (would have taken Cutler over Leinart, Adrian Peterson over Levi Brown). I don't think it can be assumed at all the Arizona's going to straight up draft for need unless it's to take a QB (and Arians has said he hasn't ruled out any QB on the roster so far).

Miami, again, if they were worried about their OT situation they wouldn't be letting Long walk or at the very least will franchise him. But neither of those seem likely, and they have a converted blocking TE that's bulked up to 305 pounds that they're particularly high on as well as Jonathan Martin who played LT after Long went on IR.

Like you said, St. Louis is the biggest threat given the ammo they have, but Les Snead thus far has shown to be an accumulator not a guy who packages and trades up. Fisher's also not a huge advocate of spending 1st round picks on OL, he prefers vets and mid-round picks that are good run blockers and really just have to be "capable" pass-blockers.
  12. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    Every STL fan i've talked to has said that Saffold had a great year, but their problem is at RT and in the interior OL. And they wont trade up to the top 10 for a RT, if their trading up for anyone, it'd be Chance Warmack. Miami is easily our biggest competition.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    I'm not concerned. Eagles have Jason Peterson coming back, Arizona have only drafted 1 offensive lineman in the first 100 picks of a draft in the last 10 years and need a QB. Miami has Jake Long they can franchise or Johnathon Martin can move over. Call me optimistic but we're getting either Joeckel or Fisher
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Yes I meant Kyle Long..
  15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    “We’re looking for playmakers on offense. Look, we had two guys with over 60 catches (Brian Hartline and Davone Bess), but we’ve got to find guys that are scoring touchdowns,” Ireland said, via the Palm Beach Post. “This is the year that you got to do something. We’re in a very good position to utilize some of our cap space to bring in some veteran players on our football team, and we’re in a very good position to bring in some young players from a draft standpoint.”

Im hoping Miami uses some of that cap space to Re sign Jake Long, Bring in a "Vet" WR and uses their 1st round pick on a WR
  16. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    give it an fing reast already :confused:
  17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
  18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    #Oregon Kyle Long looks much much more comfortable inside. Lining up at LG now next to Fisher

Dane Brugler (@dpbrugler) January 21, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Been watching the Senior Bowl coverage, and I'm loving my 1st and 3rd round picks. Fisher is a man among boys out there, he man handled Okafor today, its just easy for him.

And Taylor looks smooth and fast out there, he was one of the few CBs who turned and ran with WRs and never got beat deep. I'd be surprised if he lasts until 76 after he runs sub 4.4 at the combine.
  20. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Fisher almost looks too good, Joeckel doesn't have that #1 LT spot locked up just yet. Lane Johnson is also making a name for himself though.. If we can't snag Fisher or Joeckel, I think we trade back into the mid-20's, snag some picks and select Lane.
  21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I agree if Fisher Joeckel are gone we most certainly need to get Lane Johnson although trading back into the mid 20's is quite risky Rams, Steelers, Cowboys, Giants, Bears all picks 15-20 could use some help on the O line
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    If two tackles are off the board before 11, it probably means that an elite defender is on the board. It seems silly to trade back when we could really improve our defense by staying pat.
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Yeah but it also seems silly, or dare I say suicidal to the careers of our new staff, to leave Rivers backside unprotected. Its just my opinion, but after Lane Johnson there is a huge drop off.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    After learning about Pugh's shortcomings (pun intended!) as an OT I decided to do some re-evaluating. I've been doing some homework on the defensive side of the ball, in particular the play makers.

S - Matt Elam: Wheew I like watchin this guy! He's a head hunter, dude just loves contact, even if it means blasting his own damn teammates haha. He's also a solid wrap up tackler when he needs to be, and has experience playing man up on WRs and he can actually turn and find the ball. He's an ideal hybrid safety. I find it stupid that most sites are giving him a 2nd round grade, if he does indeed fall to us at 44 I'll be ecstatic. Grade = mid-1st. NFL comparison = TJ Ward.

CB - Jordan Poyer: Looks like a very good nickle DB, plays hard, is GREAT in press coverage, has great ball skills, good recognition jumping short routes, and takes good angles to make tackles. Obvious knock on him is his deep speed which is concerning. I'm sticking with a mid-2nd round grade, I'd be happy to have him in the 3rd.

S - Eric Reid: Definitely looks the part of a SS, although plays center field field LSU which I think is a mistake because he's average or below in coverage. A big hitter, improved tackling and angle of pursuit from sophomore season to junior year, does a good job keeping his man in front of him, but gets burned way too often by speed receivers. I think a move to SS is absolutely necessary, and maybe putting him on TEs is the best way to go. Mid/late 2nd round grade.

ILB - Alec Ogletree: Disappointing honestly. He's a freak athletically, has awesome range, and is pretty good against the pass both in pass rush and in coverage; but his recognition and instinct in the running lanes is mediocre at best. You add the character and durability red flags and I think he falls out of the 1st round mix...except lucky for him the combine is coming up. My grade = mid/late 2nd round.

ILB - Shayne Skov: Really not a great player, I wouldn't be surprised if he runs sub 5.0 at the combine. He reminds me a bit of a taller Brandon Siler. Average against the run, below average against the pass, more of an in the box thumper. Grade = 5-7th round.

I'll do more tomorrow night.
  25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Although I have them selecting Landry Jones, Matt Barkley or Mike Glennon the report on Bruce Arians making the offensive line one of the most important "Needs" is quite concerning.

I am not all for trading up at the cost of losing a draft pick, If Joeckel is gone I would be in favor of trading up to Cleveland's 6th spot in order to get Eric Fisher with the hopes of losing no more than a 3rd or 4th

It would tell us that Tom Telesco see's this as a need and are willing to do everything to make this top priority, we have a few holes to fill but there is no arguing O line is the main issue. At the very least we may be able to trade back in another round and try to gain that pick we would lose.

Luckily the cost of trading up isn't as steep as it use to be, with the exceptions of ATL moving up 18 spots for Julio Jones and Washington selling the farm for RGIII because we knew what they were paying for.

I understand I have no say or control over how they go about selecting in the draft but this IMO wouldn't be a terrible decision if it were to help us out as well as get their guy. If Fisher wasn't on their top list before I'm hoping he is now
  26. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Id rather wait for Stephen Rivers.
  27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Good luck with that. Dallas had to trade the #45th overall selection to move up from #14 to #6 last year. We're not moving up from #11 to #6 for only a 3rd. It would cost us #47 (our 2nd) in order to make that move.
  28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I agree I'm just being hopeful that it wouldn't cost us that much (hometown discount from Norv and Chud just kidding) I am just going off that since Jacksonville only gave up a 4th to swap with T.B to move up, and seeing how T.B. only had o give up a 2nd and swap 4th's to move back into the 1st its doable, Plus I don't really think Jerry tried to "low ball" to move up to get his guy. It wouldn't hurt
  29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I just don't think there are enough teams in the top 10 that need a left tackle (that aren't desperate at QB) to gamble that one of them will take Fisher. If we trade up to 6 and the Cardinals go Barkley at 7...we're gonna feel pretty stupid.

They are far from a lock to go OT, in fact knowing what we do about the Bidwells it seems extremely unlikely that they'll swallow the money they just paid Levi Brown before he ever plays a single game on the deal.
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Rams - OLB/DT/RB
    Steelers - RB/ILB/CB
    Cowboys - OG/OLB/S
    Giants - TE/ILB/OLB
    Bears - OG/TE/ILB

Thats how I feel about those teams and their needs. I don't think they'll take Lane Johnson from 15-20. Mid-20's is very possible.