1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Matilack's Mock 2.0

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, Mar 22, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    Now that free agency has sloooooowed waaaaaaay doooooown I figure its time, feel free to blast me, I know I"m going a little outside the box and that tends to annoy people around here.

1st - Dre Kirkpatrick - I've been rewatching games lately, and I think Jammer is cooked. Say what you must about pass rush creating opportunities I agree with that logic, but Quentin Jammer has become an glarring liability in that he loses before the pass rush even has a chance to get there. Kirkpatrick has excellent read and react skills, he is highly physical with receivers, and probably the best tackling DB in the draft. He is NOT ANTONIO CROMARTIE, Kirkpatrick is a football player not a track star, and like all Charger DBs he will have stone hands...hahaha

Backup - Nick Perry, I just think he has more upside than Mercilus who is a poor run defender.

2nd - Harrison Smith - An NFL ready SS and its as simple as that. Notre Dame used him often as a sort of extra line backer/DB but he has the speed and size to cover NFL TEs....though he seems to struggle with his back to the ball which is why I he's not a 1st round caliber prospect. He is great at flying into the lane and cleaning up plays, which I love about him. We will be a more rounded defense with this pick.

Backup pick - DE Vinny Curry, OT Zebrie Sanders, TE Dwayne Allen.

3rd - Jonathan Massaquoi - Has freakishly long arms, he'll be able to set the edge and keep blockers off of him. Loves to stunt and blitz from all angles, and has a good wide range of pass rush moves, and enough flexibility and speed to finish.

Backup pick - NT Josh Chapman, DE (5T) Mike Martin, RB Ronnie Hillman.

4th - Brandon Moseley - I really like this guy, in fact I'd probably take him in the 3rd. He's big and moves smoothly and quickly out of his stance. Is good in open space, and is a good enough run blocker. I can see this guy starting in the league someday.

5th -Brandon Bolden - This guy has a bit of a Frank Gore/Michael Turner feel to him. He's not fast (4.6 speed), but he's sneaky quick for a bigger back. He's also a surprisingly reliable receiver out of the back field. He is by no means a perfect RB prospect, but could develop into a more than solid compliment to Mathews. Last year I had this guy as potentially going as high as late round 2, so I can't pass on the value here.

6th - Beau Reliford - A 6'5 250lb TE who runs smooth routes and has a basketball background. This is the yearly obligatory unknown wannabe Antonio Gates pick. But seriously I think this guy can be a great receiving TE.

7th - Antoine McClain - A big strong run blocking RG prospect, mobile enough and strong enough to take a flyer on and let him compete for a backup job.
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    With the exception of Bolden I think this is a good draft, I'd be quite happy with it. I suppose if there's any concern, I worry that if we grab Kirkpatrick we will have a big backlog at cornerback. We have Gilchrist & Wright (who needs some playing time to see what he can do) to work into the rotation as well. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Kirkpatrick but I'm not sure how the rotation would go.

Re Bolden IDK if I want to bring in another RB honestly unless its someone with a specific ST role like a Rainey or even a Hillman conceiveably.
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    A lot when into my rationalization of Kirkpatrick...

1. The cluster of pass rushing prospects all have their own glarring concerns.
    2. Barron is an early 2nd round talent boosted by another shallow S class, I would be ticked if AJ reached to fill a need again.
    3. I don't like going OG in the 1st round.
    4. I think Jammer and/or Cason will lose their starting job this year, and guarantee one or both will not be re-signed.
    5. There is no stand out NT prospect.
    6. I don't believe AJ has any intention of admitting the Clary contract was a mistake, by drafting Martin
    7. Sadly, my favorite player Luke Kuechley has no shot in hell at falling to us.

Its a BPA pick + lack of trust in the guys we have. I think we're at a point where we have to just start adding good football players regardless of their immediate impact....which is usually minimal anyway for rookies.
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I look at it this way, I don't see us taking anyone early with the intention of playing them at pure corner unless the coaching staff has already predetermined to move someone already on the roster to SS - we already know that Norv's stated he doesn't see QJ as a safety, but nothing's been said of Gilchrist or Wright (who, being that his strength has always been zone as opposed to man, may have no choice but to be tried at S if Pagano elects to utilize more man-coverage options). simply put, I don't think we go back-to-back DB even if one of them is BPA. Either Kirkpatrick, Gilchrist, Wright, or - who knows, maybe even - Cason (but I severely doubt it) would be looked tried at safety. So as much as AJ loves him some Harrison Smith, I'd have to suspect that a Kirkpatrick selection might rule out Smith in the 2nd.

Thus in the 2nd, I could see a definite case for Vinny Curry. He's a guy who needs polish and work, but he's got the athletic upside to be disruptive, contribute on obvious passing downs as a rookie, and be groomed and brought along slowly. I did what you're supposed to do with the info gleaned from the combine and went back and reviewed tape on Massaquoi and it really appears to be a case of "Larry English"-is (achieving great production against inferior competition). His lateral agility isn't up to snuff, his flexibility is non-existent, and the guy is effectively another Lawrence Sidbury (built like a hybrid player but with the skill set of a strictly 4-3 rotational DE). I really don't see much of a ceiling with the guy. Either of the first two alternates you suggested are superior value and with better long-term potential.

Mosley... like you, I'd be overjoyed if we drafted him. And, per AJ's tendencies, this is about the soonest I honestly see us drafting any OL. That said, Mosley strikes me as a Sebastian Vollmer type (ironically, I was extremely high on Vollmer when he was a prospect and was snidely laughed at by many for putting a mid/late 2nd round grade on him) and I suspect he's gone by the 3rd round at the latest. These late-bloomer OL with immense potential have been a craze in recent drafts (Saffold, Vollmer, Ducasse, Veldheer, Reid, Ijalana), and all have come off the board in the 3rd or earlier.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    We dont differ to much on the thought of which we should draft. We just seem to change the players, and positions in rounds for the most part
  6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I'm not familiar enough with most of the players in this draft to comment on the individual selections. If we take a CB in the 1st I'll be amazed if there aren't any Smitty-Matt Millen comparisons, with 5 CBs drafted in the first in the last 11 drafts if that happens.

If he's far and away the BPA, we might as well draft him. Rivers has another 7-9 seasons if he doesn't suffer any injuries, and drafting BPA will give us the best opportunity to win a championship with him at QB.
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    I don't think AJ will let fear of negative publicity steer him away from taking a player we need. Jammer is 33 and Cason is highly inconsistant, its not really debateable we need a CB. Also drafting them late is how you pile up scrubs, so we may as well get the problem fixed early.

And actually I expect Kirkpatrick will be a better a candidate for the SS position anyway, either way we fill a need with the pick. In which case you should expect a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round too, or with our 1st round pick next year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I don't think he'll be impacted by potential negative publicity, but I think it's unfortunate that this is where we're at as far as CBs. Like I said, if he's the BPA we should draft him. If our coverage gets better then that'll help out our pass rush as well, as will our DC sending more than 2 guys.
  9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Here is my mock..

-I think we trade back here. Might possibly swap spots with Cleveland depending on what they do with the 4th pick. I think Jonathan Martin will fall due to other teams' needs and I think Martin can be a top 15 pick; with Chicago at 19 and I'm sure they would like to lock up a OL prospect who can flourish into a Pro-Bowler and protect Jay Cutler. So I think Cleveland, who also would like help on the OL, and San Diego will swap spots here and we gain their third rounder (67)-
    1. Nick Perry - OLB - USC or.. Dre Kirkpatrick - CB - 'Bama - We stay at 18 and if Kirkpatrick falls to us I think we take him. With either him or Jammer moving to safety, I don't care what Norv says, if Kirkpatrick is still available after the Bengals, who've been holding meetings and workouts with him; somehow pass up on him I think AJ spends a pick on the Bama player who is so physical and strong can play CB or SS.
    2. Kevin Zeitler - OL - Wisconsin - Good pulling OL, good run blocker as well. Think this really helps with the depth on our OL. 2nd round OL isn't what AJ probably wants to do but he can address it right away and get a solid prospect. I don't think Harrison Smith falls to us unfortunately. I want him as bad as the next guy, but there are SO many teams that will need help at Safety and Smith will be the best prospect after Barron. or.. Harrison Smith - SS - ND
    3. Mike Martin - DE/DT - Michigan - More depth and a great player to add as a future starter. This of course is the Browns' 67th overall pick we may acquire in the first round. or.. LaMichael James - RB - Oregon
    3. Antonio Allen - SS - SCU - I think this is a reach in the 3rd round, but other teams might take him before we get a crack at him in the 4th round. And if Smith isn't taken, like i've predicted we might take a gamble on Allen who isn't all that BAD. He can blanket cover TE's but the fact he was basically a linebacker at South Carolina will hurt his value because he does struggle when he is back pedaling trying to read the QB. or.. Josh Norman - CB - CCU
    4. Ladarius Green - TE- LLU or.. Donte Paige - Moss - OLB - NC

im too tired too finish lol.. but thats basically my top 4-5 picks
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings Received:
    +66 / 2 / -0
    We could trade up in the first and select Barron or trade back to the late first/early second to select Smith. Either way, we're in a bad position for both SS in this draft.

I would be optimistic if we drafted Janoris Jenkins, crossing my fingers he isn't another Pac-man Jones.
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3

Thou shall not speak his name. hahaha I like the kid but I noticed the feeling isn't mutual with others on this site
  12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    The problem with Barron isn't that he's bad, or that we can't grow into a better player. The problem is that the 1 thing we need our "strong" safety to be able to do, cover a TE in man, is his biggest weakness, whereas his strength is playing a short zone and stuffing the run.

It's like drafting a guard from a zoneblocking scheme to play in a power running scheme, which is why alot of folks are looking at Harrison, he fits our scheme better, even if he's also somewhat raw.
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    Which is why I am looking at Kirkpatrick as a safety. Harrison is bigger and has the more classic SS look, but Kirkpatrick is an equally as good tackler (if not better) and his agility/quickness is much better than Harrison's. Being his size and speed he will drape over any TE in the league, we can put him in the center field area and let Weddle come up to the line, plus he has experience at CB so he can cover WRs when teams like Green Bay come out with 5 receivers.

The ONLY downside I see is he's a little light at 190lbs, but most players gain weight in the NFL.