1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

McCoy's Mistakes

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Burlington Bolt Brother, Dec 2, 2013.

1. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    At least you were big enough to admit that you are unable to back up your words with quantifiable proof.
  2. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings Received:
    +297 / 10 / -6
    Conc... Well at least you got the dimensions correct. Lending your weight of agreement to any stupidity that fits your agenda is crushing this board. Why not just stop being the center of attention on every topic and every thread?
  3. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings Received:
    +297 / 10 / -6
    Out of context quoting is a old as the hills. I hope you feel vindicated.
  4. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    Forum police?

If you are going to start wagging the finger at me, I think it could also be spread around...plenty of out of context quotes and assertions being made in this thread.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    SawOw and Conc,
    You are not understanding what you are doing. As riotous as you are feeling, this line of thinking is very poor and it's not just an opinion. You guys are being very foolish
  6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Alright, so it's settled. To make the list of McCoy's mistakes relevant, someone needs to provide summaries of mistakes (or lack of mistakes) made by rookie HCs. Without those summaries, the list of McCoy's mistakes is irrelevant and hardly worthy of discussion.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    I don't know how else to tell them they are embarrassing themselves.
  8. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 1 / -0
  9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    I have not seen anyone say this. Relevant? I think perhaps you are using the wrong phrase. Perhaps you could try 'Put them into perspective'?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Fair enough, let me fix that then:
    To put the list of McCoy's mistakes in perspective, someone needs to provide summaries of mistakes (or lack of mistakes) made by rookie HCs. Without those summaries, the list of McCoy's mistakes has no perspective and is hardly worthy of discussion.

Better?
  11. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    Or to simplify...

To put McCoy's mistakes into perspective, someone needs to provide some context to compare it against. Otherwise the point is moot.
  12. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    I'll try.

Say someone walked up to Dan with proof he'd accept that he had said many dumb things. This person then said that in his entire time on the internet, he had not read so many demonstrably dumb things from one person. Dan then asked him if he had proof of anyone else saying dumb things. This person then said, "no, do you? Why would you even ask me? I'm adding this to the growing list".
  13. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    First, misdirection... first move in a lost cause...what's any of this have to do with McCoy and his blunders?

Next, in your "example" above, Dan could easily take 30 seconds and go on the internet and find the proof he was asked of....one way or another.

You simply not going to try and find the information is not a valid excuse in most debates.
  14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    The point was to list some of his errors. OP failed to provide a list of other rookie HCs errors, but that doesn't obviate McCoy's errors or said list. Further, the funny thing about the line of debate is that those annoyed with thread topic fail to provide facts themselves and instead pin that responsibility on OP. I get the logic: "If you're going to make a point, back it up with facts." The irony is that some arguing against OP seem to be making points, but also without any facts. Riff Raff pointed this out awhile back, but it was easily ignored.
  15. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    So you and Dan go get the proof! Why are you asking the guy that stated he had never seen so much dumb stuff from one person, go get dumb stuff from other people? He's already telling you he couldn't find any! Dan is entrusting the guy calling him a fuching idiot to find dumber people.
  16. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 1 / -0
  17. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    You missed a "you". If you're going to falsely attribute quotes to me, at least ask me to proof read them first.
  18. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Sure. But why limit it to Rookie Head Coaches. I have provided examples of seasoned head coaches making mistakes. Mistakes will be made. Mistakes have been made. Everyone has agreed to that, but apparently that does not fit the agenda of this thread so it is ignored.

Agreed, mistake. One that has been made before. Each team is required to provide a list of 8 players who will not be eligible to play in the game.
    However, I disagree that this should be laid at McCoy's feet... The inactive list MUST be turned into the league 15 minutes prior to game time. Here is what happened:
    So this mistake came after the list was submitted, for a player who was expected to play. So perhaps you might see why I question the inclusion of this as an example of poor decision making on the part of the coaching staff. This is what I personally request when asking for facts rather than just halitosis blown in my face.

Yup, a mistake, an understandable one. In fact the NFL Referees are not very consisten in how they handle this, or call it.
    Last season Jim Schwartz threw a challenge flag on a fumble recovery TD, which negated the ability for the play to be reviewed. Schwartz acknowledged he knew the rule and threw the flag in frustration prior to thinking. This is not an isolated case. So sorry, I dont see this as a major mistake. Some will and that is fine. But to intimate that this is something that is solely the province of McCoy is a straw man argument.

A mistake, one that happens in the NFL multiple times a season.

I did not see this one, in which game did this happen?

Again, this happens quite often in the NFL. How many times has announcers questioned a coach taking a penalty instead of the down?

I look at this list, and yes... It is a list. I don't see how it is very incriminating, nor all that uncommon of mistakes.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    Oh no you didn't! :eek::eek::eek:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings Received:
    +297 / 10 / -6
    Oh yes he did.

[​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Good post (one point of contention: I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone ever said it's solely McCoy that makes these types of mistakes).
    I believe the one you didn't see was right before the half a couple of weeks ago, but BBB or Lance can fill you in on details.
    I don't track the details myself, but it's good to have threads that do. It's interesting to take a look at the errors, see if a HC is getting better, THEN decide whether to bitch about him more on internet forums (see almost infinite number of threads on Norv). Also, when we get a rookie HC in 10 years, we can compare his track record to McCoy's so that we have 'facts'.
  22. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    I can agree with that. No doubt. My concern is some people seem to be putting the bitch before the facts. People were stupid in their hate of Norv. I remember a guy here had a user name of something like 'No More Norv' and bashed him from the get go. He made a bet with myself and other that Norv could not coach the team to the playoffs or a first round buy. He lost so we all decided to change his name to Norv4Life or something of the sort as it was the terms of the bet. Good times...
  23. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    re McCoy, the timing of some of his errors does warrant comment. Hard to say we'd have a winning record if he didn't make those mistakes, but as with any fanbase, you make errors at end of game, it will get noted/bitched about.
  24. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    Conc,
    look at the difference between this mostly civil post and your first post.

Great point on the Butler situation and his injury was listed as, "Expected". The problem though is McCoy saying it was a blunder and he took responsibility. Maybe all trainers and medical were on top of it, knew about the rule and 1 minute too late, Butler said, "oh schit". If so, McCoy's big mistake here is thinking he made a mistake. But you are right! it isn't impossible to debate and I'll scratch it.

Thanks for the info on the challenge flags. Rivers seemed to know it was a penalty coming while Coughlin and Schiano seemed to know they wouldn't be (or that they might have taken a TO anyways). Not sure I'll find anything more but interesting.

Regrading the #3... I have never seen a clock rundown in that situation. Can you provide any examples (and no Saw Ow, of course I can't). It's not just a clock rundown....there was no risk in rushing 11.

Regarding #4... It happened last week.

Regarding #5... Not like that though...it was a tackle for a loss inside the 10. It was basically giving them a free play. Never seen that before nor would I expect to see it from anyone ever.

Also, please stop using "straw man" until you understand what it is.
  25. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 8 / -3
    Seemed like a pretty basic point to me. Maybe simple is as simple recognizes.
  26. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    I have a secret agenda so all truth I report should be thrown out with the bathwater...next time, I'll hand my homework off to someone else :laugh:
  27. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 8 / -3
    Just let the dog eat it. Comprehension of the output will likely match the responses.
  28. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    That is fair. I have cited my own concerns and gripes in other threads. I just didn't see them adding up to what others apparently did.
  29. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,683 / 44 / -26
    I see my work is done here. ;)
  30. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    Shirley, you can do a much more proficient photoshop job than those two amateurs! I'd say that your task has just started :D

Nothing like hijacking a thread with input from esteemed minds whose opinions don't mean diddly squat to the Chargers brass and FO :p