1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

McCoy's Mistakes

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Burlington Bolt Brother, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Blew was indicating that I nicked one of his.

Photoshop is only one of several pieces of software available.

Amateurs are those who make no money at this.

Your task is to identify a more useful task for yourself.

2. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -2
    My task is to expose this bridge to nowhere!

3. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Plenty have already driven off of it and gone away in the water running underneath it.
    Others are stuck in an eddy.
    Still others are pissing off it, some aimed upwind, some aimed down.

But once you let everyone know you think the franchise is doomed if it stays in SD, you'll get cement blocks.

4. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    a microcosm of life? The jester of the apocalypse should set his grin higher

5. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -2
    Well then say Cheeeeeese :DDDDDD

Psssttt.... How about this theory? McCoy is a Trojan Horse planted here by no other than Johnny Horseface himself ;)

[​IMG]

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    Actually no, my remark was unrelated to your posting.

7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    I'll send the bill to the bunker.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    What bill?.......... who do you think restarted this :poop:?

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    When did it stop?

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Because in the case of some of those coaches I felt as though the mistakes made would be apparent because they were (and in some cases still are to this day) blasted by the media for it. Romeo Crennel's penchant for kicking FG's while trailing by 3 scores with less than half of the time in the final quarter remaining on the clock - I specify "penchant" because he did it once his first year as a head coach and was absolutely BLASTED for doing it twice in his 4th and final year (the main reason he wasn't called out for it his freshman year was because the Browns had a winning record). Belichick's decisions to waive Bernie Kosar brought MAJOR backlash from Cleveland community. <--- And Blue, if you go and google the interviews he did following that Kosar release, you'll see that the cold-fish Belichick talking to the press from today is the same one that was talking to the press then in the same fashion.
    Steve Spagnuolo's rookie campaign, much like his whole tenure in St. Louis, was littered with game-management issues - many very similar to what we've bemoaned McCoy for - for that lack of a "go for the throat" mentality and being far too willing in crucial game-on-the-line situations to trust his defense rather than press with his offense.

Joe Gibbs' first season with the Redskins, Week 4 against the Eagles - the Skins trailed early in the 4th quarter by 1 before Gibbs showed a repeated reluctance to run the damn ball, instead pressing a passing game that was having an off-day in terms of pass-protection. Lo and behold, the Skins fumbled 3 times total in that game (twice in the 4th quarter) and gave up a safety, en route to giving up 22 unanswered points (the last TD coming off a Theisman strip-sack that was run back 7 yards for a TD). Later that season against the Lions, while the Skins did win the game, Gibbs' continued pressing of passing on 3rd and short in the middle portion of the game, resulted in numerous 3-and-out's and squandered half of Detroit's 6 total turnovers in the game - a game that turned into a shootout later on and where the Skins barely eeked out the win by a two-point margin.

Week after week after week in his rookie HC season, Scott Linehan tried every motivational tactic in the book to get his OL to block or his defense to tackle opposing runners; all save one - holding the individuals (players and position coaches) accountable for inability to execute. In fact, the only time he held anyone accountable that season was when he benched starting QB Mark Bulger for Trent Green late in the season. Linehan was also renown for having a worse record in terms of making boneheaded challenges than Mike Martz did (and for anyone that followed Mike Martz's track record with that little red flag, that was no easy task to accomplish).

Point is, this stuff does happen. There's an article (and not one written terribly recently, but in a way I think that helps lend it a bit of credence), that I think you, Riff (and Blue), will appreciate:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=3217121

I'm in no way suggesting that McCoy is going to turn out like Belichick, but that this article expresses many of the reasons why it's not always a bad thing for coaches to make mistakes that first year out as a HC, if they are capable of learning from them. And that even the best coach in the game today might not be the success that he has been had it not been for making and learning from mistakes he made early on in Cleveland.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,303 / 12 / -5
    Now that we got THAT settled...

Anyone catch the colossal mistake da Bears made this Sunday?

It's very late (2 minutes & change left) in overtime of Bears-Vikings. A score by either team wins the game. Bears have the ball at the Vikings 29. It's 2nd down. Now, with a running back like Matt Forte already having 120 yards rushing, you'd think they'd give him the ball, right? Or maybe throw a quick pass to Alshon Jeffery, who had 12 catches for 249 yards and 2 TD's on the day. Nope on BOTH of those. Instead rookie coach Marc Trestman decides to kick a 47 yard FG, which was missed. Vikings get the ball and get a FG to win the game.

I know Trestman was a coach in the CFL, so maybe he forgot that the NFL has 4 downs (CFL has 3)?

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    WHAT IS YOUR POINT!?! THERE ISNT ONE!!!

;) I kid ;)

13. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    ... or that the goal posts have been moved to the back of the endzone ... or that the single point doesn't win the game. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Thanks for providing this. I believe I'm a reasonably knowledgeable fan, but I definitely dont have the memory to recall these events off the cuff. I reserve that store for other info.
    I'll check out the article. :)

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    Except Belichick is a sociopath........ what's McCoy's excuse?

I did hear Trotter today on the radio, and he was asked about a recent article he wrote about Ron Rivera. It seems that Rivera was very much "by the book" at the beginning of his HC gig in Carolina, but last year he learned when he should take risks........ such as going for it on 4th down, and not settling for FGs. We can only hope that McCoy can shake off some of his overly conservative tendencies.

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    There's a reason their fans have now nicknamed him "Riverboat Ron" this season.

And Belichick's not really a sociopath... Okay he is... but it's not as bad as people make out - he's just more antisocial and has a rebellious side (the actual origin of the infamous hoody is a testament to this).

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Not all of them recalled clearly off the cuff. Like I said, I remembered instances - and there were a few that I remembered of some folks that didn't necessarily occur in their first season as a new HC or in the case of one particular guy (Marty "We'll Take the Wind" Mornhingwheg) where it wasn't his first HC gig when I'd thought it was (he'd previously coached at the collegiate level, albeit D2).

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    A man that flaunts going out with another man's wife, illegally tapes other teams, etc......... the list is extensive, but you know that. Belichick is a scumbag, but a very good football mind...... and a sociopath.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I actually wasn't aware of that one (will have to consult Dear Google). But then I don't really give two patoots about the personal lives of players so long as it doesn't stand to have an effect on their ability to perform to their full capability on the field when called upon, so somewhat the same for coaches. Our society is way too tabloid-centric.

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Bears fans have been ripping their rookie HC a new one.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    It's a bit sad when a man is publicly pleading with another man to leave his wife alone.......... Belichick has no conscience as far as I can tell.

22. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    Not settled, CBF...

None of these are of the undebatable variety. Different conversation that I'm cool with having after adding McCoy's OTHER seemingly horrible (yet still debatable) mistakes. I stand corrected that as unlikely as it may be, McCoy's admitting to being at fault for #1 may be a McCoy lie. but so far, no one can point to a rookie HC making this many provable mistakes. Sure 2 vets this year got away with throwing illegal challenge flags but did they also commit the the other items? WHILE having the normal debatable head scratchers on top of it? "Reluctance to run the damn ball" isn't even close.

23. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    Please tell me there is someone else who twice didn't understand it was safe to call time-out and go for a punt block. Firing a company president over questionable business practices and risks takes a long time to substantiate and as small as forgetting to wear your shoes to work may be compared to sinking the company, it's the first thing they should have noticed

24. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    That kind of thing is more common than sense would suggest. Plenty of HCs want to get out of the 1st half without risks such as the offense recovering the kick and taking it in for a TD. There's no risk analysis, just a let's get out of the half.

Frankly, I think his playcalling has been more a concern than the stupid sheet he's done. But a thread on that would be more a morass than this.

25. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    But there is almost zero risk in an 11 man punt block attempt. I've never seen that one screwed up before on any level of football going back to pop warner/ Boys club. What's worse is that he seemed to get the wrong message by next time being "risky" and going for punt return. But then he ran the clock! the return is the riskiest portion of the decision to return. It's contradictory and stupid...if you want to be safe, punt block is the only call.

I think it's weird that a Head Coach is being given slack for being a rookie. But he is repeating mistakes.
    And I totally agree with you (and Lance) that the play calling is a bigger issue...but people can point to other supposedly equal calls from other coaches while defending this guy. It's the point of the thread

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  26. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    I agree, makes sense (though you've got to guard against fake punt pass attempt), but you don't see it done as often as you'd expect.

27. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    Fine, you guard against it but there is zero danger of giving up the punt if you don't have anyone trying to field it. And not to you but the people excusing this decision because there's so little time left.... a block is an automatic field goal range result

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    worse was he did next time...made a risky call and didn't follow through when there was no muff. One could argue for a hopeful shanky punt returned for a TD or field goal range return but that is much less likely than a muff. you make that call, you try for getting into range...otherwise you go punt block with no return man.

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 48 / -6
    With one exception, if the ball is blocked and recovered by the kicking team they now have a fresh set of downs. I wouldn't anticipate ending the first half down by one score a great cause to pursue an all out punt block attempt. With the whole second half to be played and up to that point a defense that was holding it's own, go for the return.

30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    That IF is a big IF. Blocked punts are not all that common for a reason.