1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

McShay's first mock for 2012

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Buck Melanoma, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,482 / 19 / -4
    Courtney Upshaw was also off the board, and unless we plan on drafting DeCastro (not necessarily against that) this is a very good choice. We've had issues with SS for far too long, Barron would solidify it and provide a great teammate for Weddle. I've got no problems with this considering how the board turned out

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I don't trust AJ drafting DB's. And I'd give Stuckey a shot before spending my 1st on a safety.

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I just don't think Barron's worth a 1st. A 2nd round pick sure, but 1st round picks are for guys who have upside to be playmakers - and sorry, but that ain't Barron. If you actually dissect his tape the majority of his INT's and big plays are far more a product of "right time/right place" than him actually making any kind of great read or break on the throw or play on the ball; he does what a competent DB should do when a ball it thrown right at his chest and that's catch the freakin' pigskin. Barron's enjoying the hype that comes with playing on one of the two prolific defenses of this college football season and on one of the teams that will end up being the National Champion. But there have been plenty of players who rode that hype (and the high level of talent of those guys playing around them) to make them appear better than they actually are - and Bama's been a big time culprit program in that respect over the past decade-plus (McClain, Kareem Jackson, Jarret Johnson, Rashad Johnson, Roman Harper, Andre Smith...).

If we can't land Kirkpatrick to move to safety (the more and more I watch him the more I think his ceiling is highest as a safety - he can play CB, but he wouldn't be as good there at the pro level as he could be as a safety), then I really don't see a 1st round safety in this class, as the guy who has the next best chance of boosting his stock to that level just announced he's going back to USC (TJ McDonald).

I also, as I'm already on record with, detest the idea of need-drafting in the 1st round. With a 7-9/8-8 record we're going to be picking in the Top 20 easily, and quite possibly pushing up on the Top 15. And there is no way that Mark Barron is among the Top 20 players in this upcoming draft class. I wouldn't even rank him in my Top 35 or 40 TBH.