1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mel Kiper 4RD mock...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, Apr 15, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    For those interested in the ultimate talking heads opinion of our draft.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=5080622

San Diego Chargers
    Top needs: NT, RB, RT, CB, WR
    First round (28): RB Ryan Mathews
    Second round (40): DT Cam Thomas
    Third round (91): WR Carlton Mitchell
    Fourth round (126): S Reshad Jones

Summary: Early in the draft process, Mathews was considered a physical, between-the-tackles runner. Then he ran in the low- to mid-4.4 range, and you looked at his tape and saw him breaking tackles ... and then running away from everybody. In other words, he's the perfect complement to Darren Sproles in the Chargers' offense. He can carry the load and provide some explosiveness but also give way when the team utilizes Sproles. Thomas is a guy who can work along the interior in the 3-4, which is why he goes here and a guy like Brian Price doesn't. The Chargers also address depth needs at WR with Mitchell and Jones in the secondary.
  2. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    this is a good mock but if Cody was available at 40, I'd get him
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    Cam Thomas is a good backup plan to Cody - very strong and also decent quickness but he has less aggression than Cody by a long shot. So no issue there honestly.

Don't like selecting a WR as a third rounder, rather get a Defensive end or a tackle

Rashard Jones sounds good, definitely a good cover guy. Has great hitting ability but not very good yet in run support. He needs to work on that, which concerns me.
  4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Yea up until that WR in the 3rd I was like WOW I thought here we go another Kipers crazy idea of what SD needs are. And what a surprise I would love and have been saying before *not in here* that I would take Cam with the 40 pick. <--Also seen early mocks with KC goin Cody with their first 2nd rounder. IMO Cody is gone but KC will still be lookin NT prospect and next best available guy is a reach then with Cam. <-- If this were to happen and we miss on cam at 40 I would be fine to see a later round pick for a semi-starter/project player at NT. No one NT guy who will be avaiable to us come pick 28 will be a step-in and revamp our frontline like a semi young Jwall. NO ONE. Not Cody Not Williams Not Thomas, so im sure whoever if any NT we get they will be marginal this year. Cody does have that disadvantage of lower stamina and already gets limited to 2 downs, so that makes him being a major contributor to our Dline already partially impaired.

On Matthews I have been ok with us drafting wherever. Hard to get a read on any RBs draft positoin starting with Matthews. Recently I saw a mock/analyst scenario/idea that NE was interested in going after Ryan in the 2nd. For this reason alone I started to like us taking him just to keep him away kinda way Knowshawn Moreno was the best overall choice for a feature back and Jr Mc Ds goes out of his way to make sure he gets him before another team with a similar style RB takes him in that same round...
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    If there were any elite NT's in this draft they'd go before 28 anyway. Cody is not an AJ player, I'd be very surprised if we took him @ 28.

Cam Thomas is a reach at 40, but its a pill we may just have to swallow if we want to address NT this year.
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Cam Thomas is a slug who decided to play a little for the Senior Bowl in order to raise his draft stock.

If we don't get Cody or Dan Williams as our NT draft, I'd just as soon wait for Troupe. At least he has a fire in his belly for playing NT.
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    Exactly what I was thinking this morning.

We could still trade down from 40, pick up another 3rd or 4th round pick, and wait for Troupe too fall in our lap later in the 2nd.
  8. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    :clap:

I am thinking something like this:

Price/Odrick
    Tate/Gerhart
    Troup
    Spikes :)yes:)
    Kam Chancellor
    Marcus Easely
    Eric Cook
  9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    No replacement for Whitey? :icon_shrug:

I could see going with Naanee as the emergency guy, but I seriously doubt that AJ will do that.
  10. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    UDFA.. Grab a QB in the 3rd next year.
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    Blasphemer
  12. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    We are completely F'd if PR AND Volek go down anyhow. What was Whitey gonna do for us that a UDFA couldn't? IMO not much, we would have to immediately change our style of O if ANY 3rd string QB becomes the starter.
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    Volek is turning 34 soon, if he hasn't already. It'd be nice to have a 3rd QB in development when he retires.
  14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    I agree about grabbing a third quarterback, I do not think it would be a smart move to grab a quarterback with a third rounder, especially a third string QB
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    Agree.

I was thinking a 5th on a guy like John Skelton or Jonathan Crompton. Preferably Crompton.
  16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    Perfectly fine with that
  17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Kind of like how Cody is a fat pig who just decided to lose weight so he can get his pay day? Then just like when he lost weight to get into Alabama, he will gain it back.

I would pretty much take ANY NT other than Cody
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    Its not even his weight that concerns me most.

Its the weak 22 reps he put up during the combine. People can complain all they want about the combine not meaning anything, but when your a 350lb man who's paid to push around other 300lb men....your benchpress tells us something.

Reach or not, I would spend our 2nd round pick on Torrell Troup before I spent it on Cody.
  19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Take it for what it is worth, but Kevin Acee seems to think we are eye balling Linval Joseph.

According to his mailbag when asked if we would trade up to get Dan Williams, he responded with:
    "I don't see them trading up because of the availability of other quality nose tackles. (Keep an eye on Linval Joseph.) However, the Chargers do have the extra picks in '11 to work with. It's an intriguing thought. A.J. is more likely to move up later in the draft, though."

By the way, I agree about Cody. It seems like his strength dropped with his weight. Compare that to Joseph who had 39 reps, Thomas who has 31, or Troup with 34, all of which are smaller and stronger than Cody
  20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    I like all 3 of those NTs and especially b/c they are not Cody.
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    AJ always seems to lean towards the gym rats and high motor guys. Everyone from Rivers, Jackson, Merriman, and Castillo..... to Buster, Hester, Kiel, and Wilhelm. All were known as high motor hard working guys going into the draft.

Cody just doesn't seem like an "AJ" guy. He's sloppy, soft, inconsistant, weak for his size, doesn't push the pocket or force double teams.......if he wasn't 350lbs we wouldn't even be talking about him.
  22. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    Well Gee, if Best doesnt run a 4.35 we wouldnt be talking about him either.
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    Your probably right. Who wants an smaller injury riddled RB who runs in the 4.5s?

Well...who wants a 350-400lb NT who only benches 22 reps? He's going to be matching up over 300lb centers and 330lb guards who do this **** for a living.....do you trust him to still hold the line in the 4th quarter?

I don't. I've decided to take Cody completely off my mocks. I'd rather have a Torrell Troup, Cam Thomas, or Linval Joseph if he believes he can play NT.
  24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Well then ... it's obviously a done deal. :icon_tease:
  25. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    Don't make much sense. They have a weight room and workout programs so Cody can get stronger. Players always do but you can't make Best less injury prone. And Cam Thomas isn't near the player Cody is so to say you would rather have him because Cody did 22 reps is lame. That is the only thing he has on Cody right now. IMO , Thomas will be picked a lot higher than he should.
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    He has one major thing over Cody, as do all the other top 5 NT prospects, the ability to keep their weight under control without losing their strength.

Cody has shown one thing, he is strong when allowed to be a fat pig. But loses his strength when is weight is down at a reasonable level.

Yes he can work out, but he has also been able to work out over the last couple months in order to keep his strength up while losing weight, and he was unable to do so.

Once again, I wouldn't take him any earlier than the 3rd round. Too much risk for a high pick
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    You can't force a player to be motivated or have good work ethic either. IE: Fonoti and Olivea.

And I have a feeling a guy that weights 350+ with bad work ethic is the kind of guy who's going to battle knee and back injuries his entire carrer too.

And I believe with all the hype and exposure he gets at Alabama, he's got a bit of the Tim Tebow overhype going in his favor. I mean, who watches UCF enough to grade Torrell Troup? Who watches ECU and UNC to watch Joseph and Thomas? These guys could easily end up being better players for a longer time.
  28. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    I was referring to next year. We have 3 (as of now) 3rd round picks. Volek will be 35 at that time and I think a 3rd is very much ok to spend on a QB at that point and time.
  29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Unless that guy will become a back up, I think it would be wasteful to spend a 3rd on a clip board holder and a guy that runs the scout team, because that is all a 3rd string QB does.

Volek is getting up there in years, so getting one to take over the #2 role is a need. But spending anything higher than a 5th this year on a QB would be a waste
  30. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    Volek may not be around much after the 2011 season. A 3rd wouldn't be too high to draft a 2nd stringer that may take over the ropes when PR calls it quits, or gets hurt.

Especially bc we will have so many picks in the 3rd next year..