1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Melvin Ingram out for season!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, May 14, 2013.

1. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    I think it's a case of the following:
    1. We badly need a player that can contribute now that Ingram is hurt.
    2. Look at the available market, is there anyone better than him out there?
    3. The Colts played a 3-4 last season I think, with Freeney playing some OLB, and didn't he have about 5 sacks? That's not setting the league on fire, but it's not bad either.

A little bit of panic is probably setting in amongst our fanbase after Melvin's injury, so most of us are looking towards the best guy out there as a replacement / backup plan and hoping that we can get him for a reasonable price.

Personally, I'd be quite happy to go with Abraham instead if he comes a lot cheaper.
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,768 / 47 / -26
    Why?........ Abraham is an even worse option, unless you expect the team to change to the 4-3.
  3. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Freeney is about the only option if we're going to look beyond our own roster. It isn't that everyone is hyped to get him - what's left? Maybe we can hope for another fax machine fiasco? :rolleyes:
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,768 / 47 / -26
    We could always see how Tebow does as an edge rusher. ;)
    • Old Old x 1
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,574 / 44 / -6
    I can't wait for this season to get kickin, it's going to be a fun year for me. Progress is all I'm expectin and I believe it's going to happen.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Devo

Devo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I am not going to read through 5 pages of posts, so excuse me if I am repeating previous thoughts/theories/posts...

I was never an Ingram fan, but he did represent the best OLB pass rush for the defense.
    It hurts, but even if he was still around, I don't think the pass rush would have been that great.

The positive is it happened so early, whoever is tabbed to fill that spot will have all of the off season to practice with the No. 1s.

While Freeney is mentioned a lot and is visiting with the Chargers, I think the better free agent choice would be John Abraham.
    But no matter who is going to be the starter, the young bucks need to step up.
    There are some UDFAs who looked good...but looking good on YouTube against Youngstown State is vastly different than going up against anyone in the NFL.
    The hope has to be that offenses will now double team Liuget and Reyes, leaving the OLB in 1-on-1 situations.

I'm not going to say the sky is falling and the season is over because that's just silly. This is the third day of voluntary OTAs. Real training camp hasn't even started. There is time to figure this out.

This is not Tom Telesco's fault that Barnes and Phillips are gone. That was a move that had to happen to clear room and get younger.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,379 / 36 / -16
    I think I'm going to click:
    Screen Shot 2013-05-15 at 4.02.58 PM.png

'cause it's nice...
    but mostly because there's no
    Screen Shot 2013-05-15 at 4.08.31 PM.png
    psilocybin-related option
  8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    There are always players to be had, especially when teams start making roster cuts.
  9. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,574 / 44 / -6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,768 / 47 / -26
    Is that "players", or bodies? ;)
  11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,574 / 44 / -6
    Ingram down in no contact drills, just wait until McCoy turns the dogs loose.
  12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    A Freeney by any other name...
  13. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I honestly like the pursuit of Dwight Freeney. So what he had 5 sacks last year, it was his first time in the 3-4 in his 11 seasons in the NFL and he was playing hurt most of the time.

What we got from Dwight Freeney is a well accomplished NFL vet, who knows what it takes to win, and has a trademark spin move that is feared by many across the NFL. I hope its a 2 year deal to be honest if we sign him, would love to see him and Melvin Ingram next year. Also, he's going to have a chip on his shoulder in 2013 -- he wants to prove to teams he can still play and adjust to a scheme, fact he has been a free agent for this long is quite amazing.

Larry English and Tourek Williams will have to step up even with the signing of Dwight Freeney, if it happens. Then guys like Devan Walker and Frank Beltre will have to battle it out for that other OLB position.
  14. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,768 / 47 / -26
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Seems like everybody's choice now since the Adrian Peterson surgery..
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Interesting to think, could Bront Bird make the move to OLB? I feel like he gets a good burst off the snap, and I feel like if groomed, he could be a solid OLB.

I hope our OLB competition looks like this -- Dwight Freeney, Jarrett Johnson, Larry English, Tourek Williams, Bront Bird, Devan Walker and Frank Beltre. Then I wouldn't be so worried about that position.

I think Dwight Freeney should take a deal similar to Osi Umenyiora. 2 years/$8.5M, but for Freeney I'd say, 2 years/$7M because he is older. Then you could still have some room for DJ Fluker and possibly another 1 year contract or so, like a Max Starks and Trevor Scott or Andy Studebaker.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,296 / 12 / -5
    Forgive this question as I'm rather green on the way the money works in the NFL...but...can teams still restructure contracts to free up some cap space? Just wondering if this even a remote possibility, considering who we need to sign.
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Well, they can back load Freeney's contract, they don't need to pay him $3.5M his first year. They can pay him possibly $2.5-3M in 2013, fit Fluker in for about $1.25-1.50M and sign those 1 year contract guys like Max Starks, Trevor Scott, etc. as depth/camp bodies (have a good shot making the 53) and I don't believe it counts against the cap until they make the 2013 53 man roster. Then we may need to do some restructuring, but that's if all that even happens.

I also heard we clear room for the Gaither release as well on June 1st, so some guys may not even get signed until then.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I agree with the 2nd part, I think he could be had for a 2 year 6 or 7 million contract, at this point if he wants it all guaranteed I say give it to him

If Telesco can pull off getting Freeney and Starks (which could easily turn us into a sneaky contender honestly) Telesco would be considered in my eyes a god among men.
  21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    It's hyperbolic because you're lecturing me on the value of depth when I already acknowledge the value of depth before you even replied to me the first time and my argument was not that we don't need depth (much like your argument wasn't that we need 2 pro bowlers at each position.)
  23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Because he's arguably the best of what's available.

I'm all for it so long as they don't give him some multi year cap eater.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,768 / 47 / -26
    I already replied to your earlier comment, and it doesn't change a thing. All I was asking for was veteran depth, not a bunch of rookies. You're the one who brought up the 2 Pro Bowlers at every position nonsense...... that is hyperbolic.
  25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    I know my argument was hyperbolic. I admitted as much so why are we still talking about it?

I also know you already replied to my post so that, too, is not under question so why are we talking ab0ut the mere fact that you replied? Did I say you did not?

Your reply was hyperbolic because you responded to an argument about a specific case arguing that it's easy to say Telesco should have made a stronger effort to keep a pro bowl calibur starting line backer after our star 2nd year LBer gets hurt by arguing that it's much better to have depth at all positions.

The hyprebole of your response is predicated on the fact that I was not arguing that we shouldn't have depth at all positions. I was only arguing that it's silly and unreasonable to drag Telesco over the coals for not making a stronger effort to keep Phillips when Ingram was still healthy.

So, yeah, your argument may or may not be sound on its own, but in context of what it was responding to it was hyperbolic.
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,768 / 47 / -26
    Actually, I never said that Telesco should've tried harder to keep Phillips, only that it wasn't a matter of not being able to afford him. That made it clear (to me anyway) that Telesco wasn't interested in keeping him....... capiche?
  27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    This is like someone got Ricky's phone and tweeted this. He can't seriously be telling us this happened/was said?
  28. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
  29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    What do you expect? Players never expect to do anything other than win their division, win out in the playoffs, and then win the Superbowl until they start losing lots of games. The variance in talent between a Superbowl winning roster and the roster with the worst record in the league is usually pretty small. I don't think that anyone expected the Chiefs to be a 2 win team last year. I also don't think that anyone had the Ravens as a lock to win the SB. Even though we all think that English sucks (and he does), it's only because of the standard to which we're comparing him. He's still ostensibly one of the 2000 or so best football players in the world.
  30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,379 / 36 / -16
    Screen Shot 2013-05-16 at 9.17.20 AM.png http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/With-Melvin-Ingram-Out-Larry-English-Steps-In/e4d88214-ef76-4fc3-9002-50852f1b4f93

“Thank God Larry’s here,” said Jarret Johnson[​IMG], explaining the first thought
    that went into his head after learning the significance of Ingram’s injury.

“My second thought," added Johnson[​IMG], was that "I was glad someone was here
    to fix the cable, and maybe sprinkle in a few 'blue collar' redneck jokes."

When informed that his initial quote had been widely interpreted as a confident
    assertion of the team's belief in Larry English's talent and ability to avoid injury,
    Johnson[​IMG] lept backwards, shouting "That cray cray, man!!"
    • Funny Funny x 1