1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Memorial Day thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BFISA, May 27, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    I flew over on a C-141. That's another long story ..... but for another time.
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    No ****, I'da thot they'da put y'all inna C-5!! :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I gotta C-141 story I'll tell sometime, as well...mebbe I'll put it in the wing and a prayer thread!! :yes:
  4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    As usual .... I was on the advance party of the unit. Six of us went, in two 141's (plus some extra dudes from another unit, but it was just our gear/vehicles in the bird).

I had a couple of my enlisted with me. My asst. ops and NBC dude, plus my best commo guy (sharpest E-4 you've ever seen).

Long story .... for another day. ... or just for you in person. I'm not much of a war story guy. Everyone's different in that. One of these days I need to tell you some stuff .....
  5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Any time, Bro!! :yes:

And I understand!! :yes: :tup:
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  7. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    You gotta get out here one of these days while the calves are still small. They're cute as heck, running around with each other. Another week or two and they'll really be busy. Too much running and playing, and the momma's start getting annoyed. :lol:

I've got a ton of crap to do tomorrow, then will do some TX, OK, MO, etc loads for another week ... then a couple days off ... then more of the same around TX/OK etc. Gonna keep this up until after my G'ma visits around the 20th of June, then go back to my regular Portland/Seattle and apples back to the Alamo runs.
  8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    This week's gonna be wrapped up with my youngest son's impending nuptials this weekend, but after that, my schedule's fairly flexible.
  9. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    In a week or so ... I'll give you a call and we'll try to line up something.
  10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    I flew in KC135's, C141's, and C-5's, and never once did we have any problems.

And the only thing that came close to a problem was we were on our way to Kadena AB Okinawa, and we had been fighting a head wind so bad, that after we landed at Hickman AFB in Hawaii for fuel, we had to land at Anderson AB Guam for more fuel.
  11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Jesus, that musta been a helluva head wind!! :icon_eek: :yes:
  12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I've decided to put military posts here in this thread, 'steadda starting new threads. The PTBs can change that if they want.

Anahoo, Wednesday mornings I go to the Drop Zone Cafe and Bar, Home of the Ariborne here in San Antone, to eat breakfast with my Airborne Buddies. Most of these guys are older than I, and thus have many more life experiences than I.

Anahoo, I was a late arrival this morning, and I walked into the middle of a ceremony of some sort. Seems there was a Korean National that, at age 16, was "drafted" into service in the Korean War. Seems that he was at the Drop Zone to award medals to four of the local Airborne guys who fought Courageously and Valiantly side by side with him in that God-forsaken conflict.

I sat in total awe as I listened to their exploits, as I asked what manner of man would put himself thru the turmoil that they suffered during those dark days. And I'm Honored and Humbeled to be allowed into the Fellowship of these Airborne Soldiers.

This is a picture of Mr Park and the Awardees-

[​IMG]
  13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    But if you heading home, you got there much quicker. And Hickman was a scheduled stop every trip coming and going for Habu Airlines. That is what we called our fleet of tankers. They rotated every 6 weeks, and we rotated every 8 weeks,
  14. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of head winds ....

Right before we deployed to Saudi, I was in a group going around to different Cal Guard units to help their CO's and full time (AGR) training NCO's get all their paperwork in order for their deployment.

So, we got a designated crew on a UH-1 Huey. Good guys, but that was another flying gig (although not as bad as a Shithook ... another story). I wish we could have gotten a Blackhawk.

Anyway, one trip from Ford Ord to Sacramento, down to Fresno, then back up to Sac .... was the SLOWEST friggin' ride I've ever had. The leg from Fresno to Sac was into the teeth of a driving head wind. We flew straight up 99, and one time, I looked down, and the damn cars were going about 10 MPH faster than us. I wondered why the hell we were flying, when it would have been faster to drive. The heli boys had topped off in Fresno, but we had to sit down at the old Stockton Ammo Depot for fuel just to make it the rest of the way to Sac.

I logged more heli miles in that month or so (Oct - early Dec 90) than I care to ever make. In fact, if I never fly on a whirling bird again it will be alright with me.
  15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    But they are fun ta jump outta!! :yes: :tup:
  16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    When my dad passed away in 2000, to a hop from Kelly AFB to Travis AFB inna C-9, which is some kinda AF Medevac jet...purty decent ride.

Then at Travis, I got a C-5 to Hickam. I'd been on one before back in '85 going on leave from Saudi to Rhein-Main. The passenger sat in the upper deck in seats facing aft, and with the comfort pallet. We boarded from inside the A/C and climed a ladder to the upper deck. The ladies wearing skirts were in some distress :icon_eek:!!

The C-5 I caught at Travis had a ramp outside the A/C, and tho it was a long climb to the upper deck, it was considerably more comfortable than that ladder!! :icon_eek:
  17. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    I've rapelled out of them and Blackhawks, but I don't have jump wings.
  18. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    I distinctly remember getting on the first C-5 in Dhahran, and going through the A/C and up the ladder. I have ZERO memory of deplaning at Ramstein and Dover, or getting on the 2nd C-5 at Ramstein. Maybe just because I was so friggin' tired. I couldn't tell you if we went down the ladder, or through the passenger cabin exit door.

The C-141 was easy. Walk in the back deck. Sit on rope seats. Harass load master.
  19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    At breakfast this morning at the Drop Zone Cafe and Bar, the Airborne troopers had a Moment of Silence for the 63rd Anniversary of the Normandy Invasion, and the Brave men involved with the landings from the sea, as well as the Airborne landings of the gliders and paratroopers from the 101st Airborne, 82nd Airborne, and a British Airborne unit whose designation escapes me at the moment, much to my chagrin :icon_eek: :tdown:

God Bless All Of Those Brave Souls!! :tup:
  20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    A Brother has passed-

MSG (R) Donald T. Presler (D-817) age 70, a member of Special Forces Association Chapter 8, passed away in his residence, 13 June 2007. Don served with the 6th SFG (A), 5th SFG (A), 1 SFG (A), and MACV SOG. He awards and decorations included the Good Conduct Medal 5th Award, CIB, Vietnam Service Medal, Bronze Star Medal, Master Para. Badge, Air Crewman Badge, Vietnam Civil Actions Medal, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Special Terrain Para. Badge, Vietnam Cross of Gallantry W/Palm, Meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Unit Commendation, Vietnam Para. Badge, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (Thai), Joint Service Commendation Medal 3dOLC. A funeral service was held on 19 June 2007 in Lake Elsinore, CA, with burial in Riverside National Cemetery. Donald leaves a wife, one daughter, one son, one sister, and 2 grandchildren.

If anya y'all up in the North County get a few spare moments, go up and say "Hey" for me. Donnie was and ol friend and a Mentor to this snot-nosed, punk kid back in the day!!
  24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  25. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    So many troops from my state have been killed, it's a shock when the flags AREN'T at half-staff.

My 21-year-old daughter AND her spouse are expected to deploy to Iraq around the first of the year. For 15 months. Which means they'll miss my grandson's first birthday, and probably his first steps and first words as well. I'm sorry, but even leaving out how I personally feel about this war, it's just not right that BOTH parents in a family should have to go. It's bad enough to see flags flying at half-staff and know that one day they might be flying that way for your own child; but to know that your grandchild could very well end up orphaned is even worse. ESPECIALLY when you don't believe the sacrifice is worth it!!!

OK, hijack over, now back to our regularly scheduled thread.......
  26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I can't say I disagree with your post. Here in San Antone, we have the finest military medical facility in the world in the world, as well as being the home of the world-famous Brooke Burn Unit, the Instute of Surgical Research. Add to that the Center for The Intrepid, a state of the art rehab facility for the courageous men and women that have lost limbs, eye sight, and have had their lives shattered.

One thing I know of the fighting spirit of the American Soldier is that THEY believe, or they wouldn't be going.
  27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  29. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  30. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Just thought that I would pass on new legislation clarifying allowing Veterans and service members not in uniform to salute the flag. This may seem like a small change,but I will now render a smart hand salute to the flag during all appropriate public events. I would ask you to pass this on to any current service members or Veteran

Inhofe Legislation Will Allow Veterans to Salute the Flag

Ryan Cassin, 07.26.2007

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) today praised the passage by unanimous consent of his bill (S.1877) clarifying U.S. law to allow veterans and servicemen not in uniform to salute the flag. Current law (US Code Title 4, Chapter 1) states that veterans and servicemen not in uniform should place their hand over their heart without clarifying whether they can or should salute the flag.

“The salute is a form of honor and respect, representing pride in one’s military service,” Senator Inhofe said. “Veterans and service members continue representing the military services even when not in uniform.

“Unfortunately, current U.S. law leaves confusion as to whether veterans and service members out of uniform can or should salute the flag. My legislation will clarify this regulation, allowing veterans and servicemen alike to salute the flag, whether they are in uniform or not.

“I look forward to seeing those who have served saluting proudly at baseball games, parades, and formal events. I believe this is an appropriate way to honor and recognize the 25 million veterans in the United States who have served in the military and remain as role models to others citizens. Those who are currently serving or have served in the military have earned this right, and their recognition will be an inspiration to others.”