1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

MOCK DRAFT

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Dec 27, 2010.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,450 / 19 / -4
    1. Cameron Jordan DE California
    2. Orlando Franklin OL Miami FL
    2. Brooks Reed OLB Arizona
    3. Titus Young WR Boise State
    3. Mason Foster ILB Washington
  2. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    I'd like for us to try and draft a solid RT- maybe Soldier from CU or one of the Tackles from the Wisconsin O-Line
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    If we ever want to survive another Gates injury we should look into aquiring someone better than a 30+ scrub like McMichael.
  4. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Well since everyone else is doing mocks, ill give this a shot

1 - Aldon Smith - OLB - Missouri - Im not a fan of a OLB but this guy, but Smith is a Stud with a ton of potential, and could be the next terrell Suggs. Besides just being a great pass rusher, hes also a leader on the field and would be a terror opposite SP, especially if in a combo with English and barnes

2 - Quinton Carter - FS - Oklahoma - This guy has AJ written all over him and would be an instant upgrade over any of our current S'

2 - Muhammad Wilkerson - DE - Temple - Could potentially be the best 3-4 DE in the draft

3 - Dion Lewis - RB - Pitt - AJ/Norv have shown how much he values Sproles, and everything he does for this team.Lewis would be a great 3rd Down/pass catching back, and should be a great kick returner with his speed, vision and cutting ability. This could easily be Jacquizz Rodgers too.

3 - Niles Paul - WR - Nebraska - Hes a good prospect who, with good coaching, could be a much better Pro than college player. Im pretty sure that Joiner/Norv could turn him into a very good player, especially with Rivers throwing to him

6 - Jordan Cameron - TE - USC - Good developmental TE that could potentially be groomed behind Gates. Former college BBall player, still learning the position, but has the physical tools to be a good pass catching TE
  5. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    1. Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin- Instant upgrade at RT- great size, Good pass blocking skills with nimble footwork but isn't afraid to get nasty on run blocking- especially coming from a Badger team who loved to run the ball with John Clay. Can also go OLB or Nate Soldier from Colorado

More to come at a later date :)
  6. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    i think this is more accurate, since i was sick today i was tape and surprisingly i found some gems. but im also gonna run off the of the basis that i think we will trade billy volek during the draft for a 4th. and i think we will trade buster davis to the jags for a 5th but since we dont have those picks im goin to put them at the bottom of the draft on who i would select

1) Aldon smith OLB/DE
    2) Demarcus Love OT
    2) Johnny Patrick CB
    3)Sam Acho DE
    3)Casey Mathews ILB
    6) Deandre brown WR
    4) Jamie Harper RB
    5)Nate Williams SS
  7. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    okay guys i have come to the conclusion that i know who our first round pick will be

1) Von miller Olb
    2)Demarcus Love OT
    2) Johnny Patrick CB
    3)Sam Acho De
    3)Casey mathews ILB
    6) Greg Salias WR

UDFA
    josh nesbit RB/QB
    Chris mathews WR
    michael morgan olb
  8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Dummerville is awful against the run so you sacrafice some with him in there.

Von Miller played in a 3-4 defense at A&M actually and he played what they called the joker possition but i think he is a better fit as a OLB in a 4-3. Probably go top 10.
  9. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Dude, Casey Matthews isnt a 3rd round prospect and he is only 230 lbs. We dont need another undersized LB.
  10. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    im aware of his weight but he shows pormise he can bulk up, an u imagine casey mathews, donald butler in the middle with shaun phillips and maybe von miller or aldon smith
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,450 / 19 / -4
    Fair amount of uncertainty handing the middle over to a guy who had a "redshirt" year and a rookie and putting a rookie on the outside. Besides Miller won't make it past the Texans at 11
  12. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    No i cant. Casey wont beat out anybody we have already and we arent going o draft Von Miller. He is undersized and i know a couple guys are undersized and doing fine like James harrison, ....AJ likes his OLB's bigger. Besides, he wont last to our pick anyway.
  13. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    if miller doesnt there still akeem ayers, and aldon smith which is my favorite linebacker
  14. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    i know he wont thats y i also said aldon smith
  15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,450 / 19 / -4
    I maintain that OLB isn't as pressing of a need as DE and RT and ILB. I'm not against getting a depth guy like a Brooks Reed but no OLBs in the first UNLESS all the good DEs are off the board and the OTs aren't good
  16. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    the only de slotted to be at our pick is cameron heyward n i dont want him
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    And Cameron Jordan. But lets be realistic, name TWO 3-4 DEs in the NFL right now that you'd trade a 1st round pick for....you can't.

I hate to repeat myself year after year, but 5 techs are a dime a dozen. Its a thankless, unglorified, lunchpale position. And if we spend a 1st round pick on one I guarantee you he'll be no more effective or exciting than Luis Castillo, and fans will complain that its another "eh" draft pick by AJ. Hell I think we have as good a shot at landing our next starting DE in UDFA as we do the 1st round.

OT and S are far bigger concerns for me.
  18. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My post-Senior Bowl mock draft:

1. Cameron Jordan
    2. Phil Taylor
    2. Bruce Carter
    3. DeAndre McDaniel
    3. Derrick Locke
    6. Greg McElroy

I've been fantasizing about A.J. signing Jared Gaither in free agency to solve the issue at right tackle.
  19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,450 / 19 / -4
    Why do people want us to get Phil Taylor? We are set at NT with Garay and Thomas
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Thomas is no sure thing, and Garay is over 30 and on the final year of his deal with us.

I can understand the Phil Taylor love, although I wouldn't mortgage the draft to get him.
  21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Thank you. To say we are "set" at NT is simply not true. We may well not address it in this draft but, as matilack said, Thomas is still very much unproven & Garay is no spring chicken.

As for your comment on 5-techs matilack - I just don't agree. It may be a somewhat thankless job but it's a damn important one in a 3-4 defense. Why do you think that these guys go so high in the draft on a consistent basis? Not because of the glamor of the position but rather the importance. I don't care if we go DE first or not - there are other positions of need as well. But to dismiss that as a need that could well be filled by some of the kids that will likely be available at 18 is overly dismissive, IMO.

I seriously doubt that we see AJ draft a ROT at 18. What safety would you like at that pick?
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    I think we can fill the 5 tech easily with one of our four picks between 50 and 89. I wouldn't be shocked if Allen Bailey, Marvin Austin, Jarvis Jenkins, or Jurrell Casey fell to us in the 2nd round. All are capable of doing the job, and I think a few years down the line the impact they have on the game compared to a guy like Cameron Jordoan would be almost unnoticable.

If AJ is dead set on drafting a 5 tech in the 1st, I would BEG him to trade down into the mid-late 20s and pick up some more draft picks. Someone like Paea, Nevis, or Liuget could fit right in as well.
  23. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    jarvis jenkins would be the best fit for the D we run. im a clemson fan i live in south carolina , but jenkins is inconsistent at rushing the passer, hes more of taking up blocks, if we get jenkins would have to get a PASS RUSHING ILB OR OLB
  24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Bailey has bust written all over him. Neither Paea nor Nevis have the height that AJ normally looks for in a 5-tech. Of the ones you mentioned, I'd be all over Austin. Not sold on any of the others. But I would strongly consider Wilkerson with either of our 2nds.
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    I agree with you on Bailey, I'm not a fan.

Height is overrated in that position, you just need a guy who can hold up to double teams and occasionally penetrate or shed a block when engaged 1 on 1. Things like pass rush, pursuit, and even tackling in general are of minimal importance as LBs are the stat vacuums.
  26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,450 / 19 / -4
    Thomas showed a great deal of talent and the organization is very high on him. If you listen to most people close to the organization they want to rotate Garay and Thomas a lot more next year to keep both fresh. I think we can re-sign Garay too, he seems to enjoy San Diego and being a part of an organization that actually gave him a shot.
    The problem with Taylor is he's shot up boards to the point that I wouldn't be surprised if he was an early second if not later half of the first. At that point getting him is ilogical considering our other needs. Ellis from Hampton might be possible but I almost see him as a very oversized DE as opposed to an NT (like Vaughn Martin)
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Yeah unless we trade in to the 30-45 range I don't think we get him. Not a huge dissapointment for me.
  28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Height at the position may be overrated but, if past picks are an indicator, AJ looks for it as one of his traits at that position.
  29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,450 / 19 / -4
    wonder then if we will get Nate Solder instead; dude's 6'9!
  30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    When did we start talking about OL? I was referring to the 5-tech position.