1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

MOCK DRAFT

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Dec 27, 2010.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    We traded up and gave up a ton to get Ryan Mathews last year. I personally think AJ will be looking for someone like Gabe Carimi so that Norv can move him to RT and help our run game. We are heavily invested in Mathews so my guess is AJ is going to spend a high draft pick on the OL.

I think Carimi is the best OT in this draft. Just MHO.
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Best run blocker perhaps. Not entirely sold on his footwork for pass blocking but almost no one comes into the league w/o a few blemishes.

It would be quite a departure from his usual MO for AJ to do something like that. I agree that we could use an upgrade at RT but I'm still more sold on addressing our weak spots on defense.
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    Lets also not forget about Rivers' carrer longevity. Rivers is the key to our contendership over the next 5+ years, not to mention a 90 million dollar investment, and the guy is a statue. Even when he does slide around the pocket he ends up getting hit, he got sacked a carrer high 38 times last year, and hit another 60+.

Our last three RTs have been a 7th round pick, a 6th round pick, and a UDFA, and every offseason we go in complaining about the position, or at least discussing it as a top 3 need.
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,346 / 19 / -3
    You could make a case though to acquire a second rounder like an Orlando Franklin to be our RT. After all our star LT was one. I just think DE is slightly bigger need and as such especially with such a group of DEs in the first round including Wilkerson from Temple and Liuget from Illinois (does anyone know much about these two?) we would be better served using the first round pick on a DE.

Now if we traded down to acquire Carimi and maybe get an extra pick I think I could get behind that
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I'm not forgetting the need to keep Rivers healthy at all. AJ & Co. appear to be the ones doing that.

Maybe that changes this year but I won't hold my breath.
  6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +293 / 0 / -0

Oh I agree it's outside of the norm for AJ to grab a guy like Carimi. However, Carimi's run blocking alone is a HUGE upgrade. Footwork for him is something that I have been saying is his downfall for the past month or so. He does need to work on his footwork, but it is something that at the pro-level can be corrected rather easily if he takes to it.
  7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    AJ isnt picking a OL in the first round.
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    Your probably right. The problem with OTs taken in the first round is they all want to play left tackle because its the "money" position. Carimi has already shown a dislike for RT at the Senior Bowl.

Also a shame is we probably no longer have a shot at Von Miller, he was my #2 favorite a couple months ago. I wouldn't be surprised at all if AJ ended up trading down and picking up more picks.
  9. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    Dont care about Von Miller. He will be gone and imo is a better fit for a 4-3 anyways. I know he played that Joker spot in their 3-4 but at 238 LBs, he is too light to be in our system at OLB. I think better fits are Justin Houston and Aldon Smith, though i think Smith will go before us to a 4-3 team. Id love to get either Jordan or Watt at #18 ...or Houston but id rather get one of those guys if they are there.
  10. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +63 / 10 / -2
    i agree the only thing von miller had that i liked was the motor that kept turning. aldon has a motor thats similar but hes more like a shawne merriman power. honestly i dont seealdon being there for us or any de or lb except Cameron heyward and he would be terrible for us. i could see us trading back getting some picks and getting raheem morris in the late first
  11. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +63 / 10 / -2
    so with the assumption that we trade back to the new orleans swappin first and picking up a 2nd and a 4th. and this is not my opinion it what i think aj will do. the playes will * beside are players that have been fallin on draft boards

1. Raheem Moore S UCLA
    2.Greg Jones ILB Michigan state
    2.Leonard Hankerson WR Miami
    2.Bruce Carter OLB NC
    3.DeMarcus Love OT Arkansas *
    3.Chimdi Chekwa CB Ohio State
    4.Pierre Allen DE Nebraska
    6. Noel Devine RB West Virginia *
  12. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    Rahim Moore in the first round would be a terrible pick. I know Kiper has him rated that high but nobody else does and a couple sites i trust much more than i would Kiper has him as a late 2nd to early 3rd. Frankly i dont look at Kipers rankings. And no offense but i really overall dont like that mock at all.
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    I agree with you on Moore. Whoever drafts him is going to be dissapointed, espescially if they spend a draft pick in the first 3 rounds.
  14. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +63 / 10 / -2
    i know i dont like it either, but it seems like a AJ draft. the only picks i would like from what i typed. was Greg jones, Demarcus Love,Leonard hankerson
  15. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    I dont like Love either. I think OT James Carpenter is a better player and he would be a 3rd round pick, and i hate the Devine pick. If we go ILB where you did, id rather have Colin McCarthy. Just not sold on Jones but he has good intagibles. McCarthy is just a good football player. Reminds me of Zack Thomas.

Just my two cents.
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,346 / 19 / -3
    OK then using yours as a template

1. Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
    Might be wishful thinking but he'd fit in perfectly in the 3-4, is a high character guy and has the drive to succeed
    2a. Ben Ijalana OT Villanova
    I think he has the potential to be a better RT, quicker, then alot of the other names tossed around
    2b. Brooks Reed OLB Arizona
    I like him alot and at the very minimum he will put the heat on Larry English to perform
    2c. Robert Sands SS West Virginia
    HUGE safety who is a wrecking ball. Will someone PLEASE just secure this damn position already?
    3a. Kendrick Ellis DT Hampton
    Another flyer but think he and Vaughn martin would make a hell of a pair of 3-4 DEs to backup Castillo and Clayborn
    3b. Casey Matthews ILB Oregon
    I'll take a flyer on him this late in the game as a potential ILB
    4. Lee Smith TE Marshall
    Small school flyer on a guy who is 6'6 267 - that's bigger then Gates
    6. Jerrod Johnson QB Texas A&M
    Someone please be the third QB and not suck

BTW the Saints don't have a fourth, they traded it last year
  17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Stay off my boy Kendrick Ellis. I've been watching him play for a few years now.

You can't claim him. ;)
  18. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    My newest version... of guesses.

18. Martez Wilson ILB Illinois
    50. Jernell Jerrigan WR Troy
    61. Marvin Austin DE UNC
    82. Dontay Moch OLB Nevada
    89. Chimdi Chekwa CB Ohio State
    6th round - Scott Tolzien QB Wisconsin
  19. ynnoj

ynnoj BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Do we really think Matthews will drop to 3rd?
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +885 / 15 / -1
    Adrian Clayborn isn't exactly "high character".
  21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,346 / 19 / -3
    hard worker, team player, well respected and liked, no real issues. If he's not high I'd say he's above average
  22. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    Dont you mean will he really move up to the 3rd?
  23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    This ^^
  24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +885 / 15 / -1
    I don't mean to go socio-political here, but anyone who goes road-rage over a racial epithet is someone I have my doubts about. Believe me, I want to like him - technically he's got everything you want, and physically he's only slightly lacking in length but has the technique to make up for that. But I worry about temper issues and general "decision-making" under duress for a guy that goes all Hulk-Smash when a cab-drive drops the N-Bomb on him.
  25. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +63 / 10 / -2
    1.Aldon smith DE/ OLB
    2.Leonard hankerson Wr
    2.De marcus Love OT
    3.Mark Herlich ILB
    3.Ugo Chinasa DE
    6.Greg Salas WR
    6.Noel Devine RB
    7. Josh Jasper Kicker