1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Feb 17, 2014.

1. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    A trade down like that would be phenomenal but I don't know how realistic that is in a draft as deep as this one. I think our best hope is that Cleveland appears poised to take a QB at 26 and someone from the early second needs to trade up to get ahead of them.

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    I have Cleveland selecting a QB at 4, I would of loved that scenario as well, because that would be at least 2 picks minimum. But, 49ers have draft picks galore, and giving up a 3rd to move 5 spots really isn't that bad for them, especially if they take one of the other CB, DL or OL that are available and valuable at 25.

3. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    i wouldnt mind trading back, but idk i dont really like verrett that much, i think people are trying to read to much into him. I wouldnt be upset if we took a olineman at 30. but Verrett i dont see making it past cincy. theres 3 corners i love
    1.D.Dennard
    2.B.Roby
    3.S. Baptiste

three i like
    1.B.Breehland
    2.V.hampton
    3.j.gilbert
    the rest just dont stand out to me. but thats my opinion

4. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Verrett is going to get a 'knock' for his height, but look at what he did at the combine. Sub 4.4, the verticals and broad jump we're outstanding showing excellent explosion, which he needs for his height. There's a handful of CB's in this league that are 5'9/5'10 (he's 5'10) and produce. He's also got good arm length which is key for his size.

His awareness for the game is close to none, he studies the game like Richard Sherman but has Brent Grimes characteristics. He's clearly the best and most consistent CB in this draft. I really hope he does fall and we can trade back and get him.

5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    I dont really care about his combine all that much, he did what i knew he was going to do. But when i watch his tape it just doesnt stand out. I see him as a nickel corner and nothing more, hes extremely athletic, but more time than none he just seems to be in the right place. Rather than being in the right place. But idk hes just not my cup of tea.

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I may be alone in this thinking but I think Dennard would be a terrible fit, I think he is a press corner and wouldn't be able to play zone. Aside from the fact that he has never been able to play a full season in his college career.

Verrett on the other hand showed his toughness to play through injuries, I also think with how smooth and quick his change of direction is, he was made for Pagano's system. Aside from that, his tapes shows something we have yet to see from a Chargers player in a long time, his ability to make a big hit. His only knock from making him IMO the top CB in this class is his height, but with his 39" vert and his ability to catch the ball at the highest point, I'm not too worried.

Plus it looks like he has that fire in his eye and always has a chip on his shoulder to be the best.

If not Verrett I would rather have Kyle Fuller over Dennard

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Nix, Ford, Lee, Verrett, Martin, who ever it may be @ 25, you can bet it'll be a damn good football player

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Explain to me how people are reading too much into him. That's a bold statement that sounds much more like a platitude.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Those are called instincts. You know, one of those things you can't teach. Those things that make an otherwise very average, athletically, corner prospect like Rashaad Reynolds actually draftable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    I think we just need these two sentences re-typed before we can make any judgments about this opinion.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,210 / 37 / -21
    Reynolds definitely has a mind for the game, understands and is comfortable in multiple schemes, he is technically sound, he's not Revis but he's a good all around player. If we need a CB on day 3 I'd gladly see him in blue and gold.

As for Verrett I don't understand what's not to like, unless someone is riding the "we need 6'3 CBs" fad a little too hard. Given his intangibles I see a very high floor, and with the unexpected excellent workout the ceiling seems pretty high as well.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    If we land Verrett in 1st and Attaochu in the 2nd, Telesco is God pretty much. Both could be there at our picks in each round, but we get pro-ready guys on this defense. I could really care less where the draft goes after that if we got those 2 ballers lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Attaochu isn't pro-ready. Really, really nice ceiling, but the guy is a situational pass-rusher as a rookie who likely has to deputize for a season before he's ready to make a big impact. The only position he could likely go straight to starting at in the pros is a the 9-Tech (LEO) and even then the kind of development he needs with his handwork and pass-rush moves more often than not takes more than a single offseason's worth of camps to hone. The guy is Andre Branch (with arguably a higher ceiling) - he'll flash a little his rookie season (likely not until late though) and should be ready for a large role by his sophomore campaign.

The "pro-ready" guys in this class that we wouldn't have to trade up to get are the ones where we'd have to sacrifice ceiling for floor.

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    I think he's a bit more established because he spent a majority of his college career standing up rather than his hand in the dirt, which he'll be doing in our 3-4 scheme. He's got the speed and strength and has shown he can bend the corner. Only problem with him, chunk of his sacks came on stunts. Sound familiar? Ingram was the same way in college, majority of his sacks came on stunts, and Pagano has failed to move him around. So what would he do with Attaochu? Only thing that concerns me with his fit in SD.

But agreed he needs to work on his hand placement. Also, think that 'redshirt' year would be great for him playing behind Freeney and Johnson.

15. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    Basically what im saying is that he looks lucky more times than good. He's just not a cornerback i like. Looks like sammy davis to me

16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,427 / 36 / -16
    He does kinda play like an old, drunk, one-eyed guy sometimes...

17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
  18. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +121 / 4 / -1
    He's not pro ready in the sense that he's going to come out and be a full time starter, but like you've said, he can come in and immediately help our pass rush as a situational guy.

Now that i've watched Attaochu more and more, i actually think his coverage skills are really solid. He needs a lot of work with his hands, but he's pretty fluid moving around the field, and has pretty decent awareness in zone coverage.

I really think he ends up going 1st round, just like Bruce Irvin. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't make it past Jax with their top 5 pick in the 2nd round. He's just too good of a fit at that "Leo" position.

Also, though i'm not comfortable saying that its the only type of guy that Telesco is going to draft, Attaochu is reportedly a great character guy, and a really hard worker. I think there's just as much of a chance that Verrett falls as Attaochu falling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I'd switch it up a little, just because I doubt we grab 3 guards in total (Bitonio would play in at guard at least one year, even if it was the long-term plan to move him to center - which we still don't know if he can play effectively or not... it's just rumored).

Based just off where I have guys ranked on my own big board and comparing that to where I expect guys to go off the actual board (and I'm generally good with this, but there are always around 5-10 guys each year I miss big on - I'm usually much better at identifying the guys that get picked way earlier than expected than the guys who take massive tumbles from projected early Day 2's to late Day 3's types):

I'd swap out Urschel in the 5th for Tyler Gaffney, the RB from Stanford. He's not someone that I expect to blow a ton of people's skirts up, but he's faster than his time at Stanford gave him the opportunity to showcase (their scheme isn't exactly one that's built to let guys terrorize running sweeps behind a pulling guard) - he's a competent pass protector and hands-catcher (for any of you that follow local/SD HS sports the guy was a highly-recruited baseball player for the Cardinal as well as for their football team out of Cathedral).

And I'd swap Linder for Ryan Groy - I realize he's not as highly-touted by draftniks, but Groy fits every physical attribute that Joe D looks for in a prototype guard and comes out of an identical blocking scheme (there are a couple schemes like Joe D's in the NCAA, Wisconsin's is one, Alabama's is another... notice how Fluker picked up the scheme/assignments so quickly once he learned the playbook...). And I'd likely be looking to move Colvin to safety long-term, but no reason to not at least give him a shot at CB once he's healed up - long-term I figure he'd be the replacement/successor for Gilchrist as the nickel/3rd safety/spur giving us a lot of leverage in contract negotiations with Gilchrist next year.

And I'd want to be keeping a keen eye on ILB's in UDFA because unless we bring back someone like Reggie Walker, I believe Bird should be an RFA this year and if he's not his more-ST-than-DEF contributions could/should be upgraded from.

21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Do we know if we'll be getting any compensatory picks this year?

22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Though I agree, I thought moving Urschel to C would be the best solution. He is very smart and knowledgeable, knows assignments and calls them out, etc. I think he would be the best solution moving from G to C.

Bitonio, I just don't know where to put him just yet. If rumors are true and they can see him playing C, a guy versatile and smart enough to play at all 5 OL positions is uber valuable.

Linder, is so experienced at RG and RT. He even took snaps at C as well. I think having these long, versatile OL in Joe D's scheme can really put up a brick wall to protect Rivers and Co. and also the future.

I like some of these UDFA ILB's like Jack Tyler, James Morris, Dede Lattimore, Greg Blair, Steele Divitto and Dan Fox.

23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    At best we may get a 7th, but that's the highest it would be. We signed plenty of qualifying free agents, but Vasquez got a Top 10 contract for a guard and made the Pro Bowl (postseason accolades do factor in slightly).

I certainly wouldn't be banking on one and would figure if we did get one it's basically going to be so late that it's effectively a direct-claim check on a priority UDFA.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I'll hit this because it was the most active

Draft insider Tony Pauline reports that the San Diego Chargers met with BYU edge player Kyle Van Noy.

"San Diego Chargers met with Kyle Van Noy/LB/BYU yesterday before today's pro-day for film work," Pauline tweeted. Van Noy could fit as an outside linebacker in the Chargers 3-4 defense. He's a smart versatile athlete that can be used on passing downs to cover tight ends as well. This is the second meeting that the Chargers have had with Van Noy, as they met with him during Senior Bowl Week. With outside linebacker Jarret Johnson getting long in the tooth, Van Noy could compete for a starting job while learning from a quality veteran.

25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    For me, he just isn't athletic enough. He's versatile, no doubt and is a smart football player.

If we're thinking 1st round for Van Noy, I'll be extremely disappointed. He's not a top 25 pick. But, I see the route TT is trying to go. He wants straight up football players. Smart and those who know the game well. At 57, sure I'd take him in a heart beat. Not at 25 though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    LOL did you study at the Mel Kiper school of drafting?

If guys here are begging Tom to draft an overrated situational player like Dee Ford at 25 there is no reason Van Noy should be discounted at that spot. Neither Attaochu or Ford can cover and neither are as good against the run as KVN. There are few pro ready 2nd-3rd tier rush linebackers in this draft so if you want one you have to fork up.

Telesco put absolutely no emphasis on athletic testing his first draft.... Fluker, Teo and Allen all tested as average. What they all did possess, however, was an ideal frame and natural ability for the position, which Van Noy possesses at 6'3 243. He tested just fine athletically and would impact our defense the same way Eric Weddle does. You are only as strong as your weakest link. Kyle Van Noy doesn't have any weak links. He is well rounded and covers, rushes the passer and plays the run equally well. He is a complete football player and only 1 or 2 other rush linebackers available have games as complete as his.

As for Van Noy's spot do I want to take him at 25? No. Do I want to take him at 37? Yes. Am I going to give a **** if I overdraft him by 10-15 slots and know I'm getting a 10 year starter while 6-7 of the guys being drafted inbetween will be out of the league in 5 years? No. Would I try to trade down if there's nobody I like available to get him? Yes. Would I trade up much like what was done for Teo or Weddle to get him if he's there mid 2nd? Sure, why not.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  27. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    From profootballrumors:

• Georgia tech outside linebacker Jeremiah Attaochu, a projected second- or third-round pick tells Matt Zenitz of the Carroll County Times (Twitter links) that six teams have shown strong interest in him. Those clubs are the Ravens, Eagles, Titans, Redskins, Chargers, and Steelers.

28. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Attaouchu has huge upside... already flashes skills and just turned 21 years old. He has a great work ethic and the arrow is pointing up. That said right now he is nothing more than a 'line up and go get the QB' guy. If the Chargers are confident he will be able to grasp the finer nuances of the game and will work his *** off, I am all for drafting him. He puts it all together and we have a reincarnation of Steve Foley.

29. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    That does seem to be the consensus. But with us keeping Freeney and JJ around and having Ingram back for a full year I don't think any OLB we grab will be able to play a lot right away. So this might be a perfect situation for a guy like that.

30. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    I would agree except a guy like Kyle Van Noy's coverage ability is advanced enough that he could line up at ILB in passing situations or in sub packages while also contributing as a rush LB in base sets when called upon and working on developing his pass rush abilities year 1.

I liked a lot of what I saw from Attaochu but I would not touch him at 25 as some people have suggested we go that route. I could justify Van Noy at 25 but Jeremiah is just too raw.

That said I would welcome either of them over Dee Ford who plays like a woman.