1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Feb 17, 2014.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,231 / 37 / -21
    And by the same token we drafted Tourek Williams in the 6th round last year....weather the guy wants it or not, he's just not very talented.

Other 6th and 7th round picks include Steven Schilling, Edwin Baker, Dedrick Epps, Kevin Ellison, Dejuan Tribble, Corey Clark, even David Molk who had excellent intangibles is not in the league right now. In fact as gag worthy as it is, Jeromey Clary is far and away the most successful late draft pick we've had since the draft was reduced to 7 rounds, followed by ancillary players like Mruczkowski, Milligan, and Gachkar.

So I guess my only point is, I want a guy that has a chance play in this league.:D I vote swing for the fence for once.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Liars month in effect but here's the trend for us as of late

The Chargers seem to really like Kyle Van Noy, it appears any chance they get, they're talking to him. Senior Bowl, Combine and McCoy sitting down with him to watch tape before his pro day, to me it seems like they're doing a ton of homework due to internal discussion to see if he could be their guy. I'm still all in on Fuller, Ford, Nix and Verrett, but if we did go with KVN I wouldn't be completely against it.

The Chargers are definitely looking for versatility on the O-line. It seems like Joe D is looking at top 2nd round players such as Bitonio, Martin and Su'a Filo trying them out as OG, OC and OT. I personally hope we nab 2, one who can eventually develop into OC while the other remains at OG.

Telesco was present at Indiana's pro day to look at Cody Latimer, I would love if we got this kid. Big and strong who ran a 4.4 40. Watching his tape he has a similar look to Keenan Allen.

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,231 / 37 / -21
    I don't like KVN's age, he's going to be 24 in June. I think there is an excellent chance he's still on the board at 57 because of his age and lack of a true position. It also concerns me that he is a carbon copy mold of the type of player Bill Polian loaded the Colts with in the 2000's.

Latimer I like, although he doesn't exactly play with that 4.3-4.4 speed, could be a day 3 steal. He's a good run blocker too.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,231 / 37 / -21
    3/28/14 - Texans are reportedly shopping the 1st overall pick.
    3/29/14 - Rams are reportedly shopping the 2nd overall pick.
    *3/30/14 - Jaguars are reportedly shopping the 3rd overall pick.

I'm sensing a trend here. Not that I'm okay with trading forward, but with all the desperation to trade back I'd be okay with fleecing a team for the rights to Greg Robinson or Kahlil Mack....preferably Mack.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  5. And_1

And_1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Would be pretty ballsy to have Telesco and Co trade up. My thing is, would I feel comfortable putting my job on the line on any of these top prospects if I was Telesco? Even if Clowney was perfect for the scheme that we ran, I wouldn't bet the house on him to have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,231 / 37 / -21
    The problem with not having any money in FA is now we need ALL of our draft picks, and we need an exceptionally high hit rate.

I think every team has fantasies of scoring an RG3 draft day ransom, but if a team like Jacksonville who needs help at just about every position was desperate enough to offer us a swap of 1sts, plus we give up 2 2nds (including 2015) to acquire Kahlil Mack...I'd probably do it in a heartbeat and get over the lost picks as soon as Mack strapped up that bolt helmet.

Robinson would be interesting too, we could plug him in at LT, move Dunlap to RT, and Fluker to RG.....and cut Clary's ***. Very tempting.:roflmao:

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Dunlap struggled pretty mightily in Philly at RT. Granted that was with Howard Mudd as his OL coach, and Joe D pwns him, but the wiser bet might be to kick Rinehart to RG and Dunlap to LG in the instance of Robinson - who still has a tremendous ceiling but is still very much a project in terms of pass-blocking.

And folks can think I'm crazy for this, but I'd consider us getting hosed in a deal like that for Khalil Mack - the guy is getting the Aaron Curry treatment right now (very, very good player, but he's hit his ceiling already - so what you see is what you get, he's not going to get any faster, quicker, or bigger; his technique is already pretty damn clean, and the current product isn't Lavarr Arrington or Von Miller so billing him as a Top 5 pick is a little far-fetched IMO. He's a bonafide Top 15 prospect who could have a case made for him to go Top 10 with the right scheme fit. Look, the guy is a prospect I'm really fond of - but the folks trying to slot him above Clowney or even as a 1b to Clowney's 1a (yeah... you, Mike Mayock) are latching onto a high ceiling guy so they have someone to prop their reps on. Great football player, sure-fire 1st round pick. "Top 5 Talent?" That's really pushing it, especially when in one scheme that's the one run by more than half the league, his best fit is at a lesser-value position (SAM LB).

The only trade-up I'd even remotely advocate that wasn't for Clowney would be in the event we had some team willing to let us pay the similar low-premium San Francisco paid last year of a single 3rd round pick to move up for a falling Jake Matthews (whose getting to the point where he's criminally underrated in this class when the reality is he's a middle-class man's Joe Thomas - a technically-near-flawless LT who isn't an elite athlete but is going to outwork and outpoint the vast majority of guys he goes up against).

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,231 / 37 / -21
    If Mack and Robinson aren't top 5 talents then I guess I don't know what is. Like you said even Joe Thomas isn't an elite athlete, in fact I'd argue he's a barely above average run blocker. Were those two question marks enough to knock him out of your top 5 when he came out?:confused: I really don't see any glaring weakness in Mack's game, and he's got no character flags, so if you're knocking him only for his athletic ceiling.......I guess I see Mack as potentially the defensive version of Joe Thomas.

And it's a move I'm willing to make because Ford and Attaochu (supposed upside being what it is) are not nearly as clean cut. If we landed Mack I truly believe that day 1 he is the most talented player we have on the defensive side of the ball, his ceiling is definitely higher (in my opinion) than Melvin Ingram's was coming out. I think it's safe to expect 10+ sacks, a handful of FFs, and a couple INTs every year, with the added bonus he's not likely to go out and get arrested. That's just my 2 cents.:tup: I might take Clowney too, but I'm less certain about his maturity, and I didn't like what Spurrier said about his "okay" work ethic.

9. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Jacksonville would never drop 22 spots for just two seconds. Plenty of teams picking before us would be happy to make that deal.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,231 / 37 / -21
    I'm sure it might take another day 3 pick or so, consider that they have needs at DE, OLB, CB, RB, WR, QB, and OG. They're one of those teams that should be trying to trade out unless they believe one of these QBs is a franchise player.

I think they will be begging to trade back, especially if Clowney is off the board, and I don't think many teams will be looking to move forward so the price will remain relatively low.

11. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    I think JAX will look to trade back but with a few elite talents still available at that spot, including guys a couple teams might see as elite QB's, it's hard to think that no one in front of us would beat any offer that didn't include a 2015 first. That said, now that I realize it only took one second for Miami to go from 12 to 3 it might not be quite as far fetched as I first assumed.

Ultimately I'd prefer to see us trade back rather than up. Just gotta hope CLE doesn't take a QB at 4 and an enticing one is still sitting there when we pick. Grabbing another third rounder to move back ten or so spots would be great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,231 / 37 / -21
    Agree, but I would guess almost every team in the league is thinking along those lines.

What'd be sweet is if we played an offer against Cleveland at 26, they may be willing to match any offer we get for 25, and we'd only have to move back 1 spot so they could secure their QB. It's a nice place to be, especially if they don't take one at 4.

(Totally unverified rumor from "a guy I know", I heard Chargers and Browns execs were talking a lot during the owner meetings)

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Although I wouldn't want to entirely lose out in the 1st round I'm all for trading back, I'd love for them to gain an extra pick in the 2nd round, would be nice if S.F. (who have 6 or more picks in the first 3 rounds) fell in love with one of these WR's and needed to jump up and grab one.

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    The Niners aren't giving up a 2nd to move up 5 spots in the bottom of the 1st; we'd get a return of a 3rd in that situation. Not a bad have, but considering our needs it'd be one hell of a calculated risk because New Orleans (CB/OLB/IOL), Patriots (IOL/IDL), and Niners (presumably CB/WR/gadget S) all have needs in the same places we do.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Ohio State CB Bradley Roby revealed he has pre-draft visits scheduled with the Titans, Steelers, Jets, Bills and Chargers.

Each team has been connected with corners early in the draft. Roby's final season was widely called a disappointment, but we saw bright spots after his rough outing against Jared Abbrederis. The Buckeye was frequently asked to line up 6-10 yards off the line of scrimmage, but he has the physical mentality to play closer to receivers in the NFL.

16. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    Well, he's a guy that has a few character flags. So looks like Telesco is looking for talent, since we already have a great locker room to keep guys with issues in check. The whole Telesco only targets guys who "have a passion" for the game is premature. He prefers them, but he also knows that all guys with a strong passion for the game don't always have the most talent.

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,231 / 37 / -21
    There is just something I don't like about Roby, I question his toughness and commitment, I think Verrett and Fuller have much better ball skills and are all around more instinctive players. I watch Roby in 2012 and 2013 and I see 1st round physical skills with 3rd or 4th round production, he's more of a track star living off his physical gifts than a football player.

He's a perfect fit for Cincy at 24.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    Roby's pretty good for the most part when the action is in front of him. But when he has to turn and run with receivers, he struggles to locate the ball. I know most rookie corners struggle with penalties, but I could see him being worse than most in terms of DPI and holding. And if he doesn't learn to track the ball, it may not be something he grows out of.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Ultimately, I still think his future looks a lot better if he's moved to play the single-high safety spot. Reminds me of Malcolm Jenkins in that sense. Now that's not a terrible investment for us... BUT... I highly doubt the team would be drafting him with the initial outlook of playing him at safety - rather that he may end up put there if/when he doesn't pan out terribly well on the boundary.

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,231 / 37 / -21
    So where would be fair value for Roby in your opinion?

I would say 50-64 would be the sweet spot.

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I'd agree, but I can still see him as a 1st round pick, particularly the late 1st because some of those playoff teams don't necessarily need immediate starters. One season of not-so-great tape doesn't just completely overwrite two seasons of quality tape - it just means you actually have to go back and do some comparative scouting and unearth why he likely struggled that one year. Des Trufant's a pretty similar prospect and still ended up finding a 1st round home in a (at least coming off-the-) playoff team.

I agree with Emory that players aren't going to do a hell of a lot more "developing" at the pro level - as in there aren't going to be any late growth spurts, they'll be able to add "some" strength through added muscle but largely improvements to their game are going to come from honing their skills to make the most of their physical assets. And certain things - like instincts and (I would contend) field awareness - are exactly traits you can develop, you either have them or you don't.

There's no doubting Roby's physical upside, so if there's a DC/DB coach who feels confident he can harness his physical abilities to either teach him to press or fit him into an existing off-man or zone scheme, I can definitely see a team like Denver, New Orleans, or San Francisco sinking a 1st into him. Honestly, I'd set his selection-floor at Buffalo's 2nd round pick (#41).

22. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    What would you guys think of Dom Easley as a one gapping NT? Kind of in the mold of Earl Mitchell or Jay Ratliff.

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I'm curious as to why it seemed like Earl Mitchell was the Chargers first and only option at NT, when Soliai, Sims and even Cam Thomas were still available. Obviously they have a plan in place, but the route they're going I haven't the slightest.

I admit not knowing or seen much of Easley play, other than he being a highly regarded player before his ACL injuries, It's questionable if that being the direction they're going, wouldn't it make sense to move Liuget over? Not that I even want that to be an option, because I don't.

I would much rather them grab Nix who seems to be on a landslide according to the analysts which would make me happy to nab him. I still feel getting a guy like that would just make the 6 other guys in that front 7 that much better.

I'm still in the Fuller/Nix boat, some days I favor Nix others I favor Fuller.

24. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    Easley has demonstrated an ability to be extremely disruptive when lining up over the center or at the 1 technique. Not the same skill set as Liuget. If we drafted him, he would be the Earl Mitchell, Liuget would be the Antonio Smith, and Reyes would be the JJ Watt. Referring to roles, not quality of play.

• Like Like x 1
  25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Thing is, neither of those two were ever really effective NT's. Ratliff was a good pass-rusher, but a pretty mediocre run-defender - ultimately he was really a 5-Tech playing out of position because no one else could for the 'boys between when Tank Johnson left and Lissemore got there and acclimated. Mitchell wasn't even that.

I could see Jernigan was a 1-gap NT. Same could be said for Caraun Reid. Could even see an outside chance of Ego Ferguson being groomed into the role the same way Glenn Dorsey has been.

26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Simplest answer? They're a lot higher on Sean Lissemore than, it appears, a lot of us are. Also, a good chunk of those guys were likely seeking starting jobs and in the case of Sims (who didn't quite get it) and Soliai (who did) a heavy chunk of change for what would have been, ultimately, on our team a rotational player.

27. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    They went after Mitchell because they're high on Lissemore?

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Because Mitchell had shown he was little more than a rotational-at-best piece. Point being that it appears the plan that carried over from last season is that Lissemore is the head of the committee at NT, and more specifically that the rotation at NT isn't going away. So people pining for a starting NT who would take the vast majority of the snaps at the position look like they set themselves up to be disappointed from Jump Street. Now, I'd welcome being pleasantly surprised by a selection of say Louis Nix in the draft, though there's a part of me that really wants to believe that given the rotation we do/will employ, we wouldn't put a premium on him till the 2nd round and then on pure value.

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,231 / 37 / -21
    Sounds like Mike Jenkins 2.o wants to come to SD.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...rgers-its-time-for-them-to-get-a-great-corner

I'm just not buying it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  30. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    I'm not sure if I buy his conveniently timed reformed work ethic, but if it's true then Roby > Gilbert.

• Agree Agree x 1