1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I agree Saffold and Cooper look a lot more re-assuring than LT rookie and LG Rookie. Although both scenarios look a lot better than what we have right now.

As far as 2nd round OLB's, Okafor has my vote to come in and re place SP95

2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    I feel the same way. I do not want Mingo, or Jones. I actually do like Werner though. I love his physical attributes, but do agree he is probably suited with his hand in the ground. Tank Carradine I think is gonna translate good at the next level, as well as Collins. Both of them I wouldn't mind having.

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Unfortunately I really do see Denver taking Tank as Elvis's replacment.

If that is the case, Her's to hoping for another type of "malfunction" with their operating systems:abq2:

Hey can that be an option for our contest "with the 28th pick in the 2013 draft, The Denver Broncos select..........................ooops it appears Elway forgot to pay the phone bill and their line has been cut":D

• Like Like x 1
  4. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    lol sure it can. I would go ahead and just expect that you aren't getting any points for that slot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Well, to update. Over on Footballs Future, we're in the midst of our site-wide Mock Draft (rosters were locked as of April 5th, and we're doing a full 7-round mock with trades).

Moves made by the Chargers thus far:

Acquired Rodger Saffold for a 2013 3rd round pick (#76 overall) and conditional 2014 4th round pick (can become a 3rd if Saffold starts more than 12 games in 2013).
    - A bit steeper price than we would have preferred, but you're also dealing with "fan front offices" (who tend to overvalue their talent a bit more than you'd like) and at the time the trade was made, a known trade in principle had been agreed upon between Miami and Arizona and it was known that none of the Top 3 tackles would be available.

Traded #11 to Green Bay for 1st (#26), 2nd (#55), 7th (#232), and 2014 3rd round pick.
    - As the board sat, all three tackles were gone, Cooper and Warmack were both available as were Vaccaro and Jones - Jordan, Rhodes, Milliner, and Mingo were not.

1st round selection, #26 overall: Cornellius "Tank" Carradine [OLB/DE, Florida State]
    - Cooper, Warmack, Vaccaro, Werner, and Jones all gone as were Jamar Taylor and Arthur Jones. BPA's on the board were Carradine, Damontre Moore, Fluker (not a great scheme fit for us), Eifert, Banks, Cyprien, and Ogletree. We went with the guy with the most upside at a position of need.

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    I don't know if I'd like to move that far back, #26 overall is pretty deep, 14 spots, I'd want their 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder, a 4th rounder, and a 7th rounder in 2013.

I wouldn't mind Rodger Saffold, as long as we had an agreement in place for him to sign a long term deal. I still say we draft another OT, whether its for the future or current depth.

7. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    This. We get our left tackle, we get a dline man. We can then move luiget to nt, being hes versatile. Pick up terron armstead in the second. We now have our rt, get manti teo with pick 45. And hopefully get kyle long in tge 3rd. Play him at lg. And in the 5th. Get the center from usc. Whose name escpapes me

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    You'd like it but the draft value chart doesn't support that kind of move, even the modified version we've been working from which weights more heavily off the moves made since the rookie wage scale has been put in place (i.e. there were jumps of 4 picks in the 1st round being made last year for the singular compensation of a 4th round pick).

What we got however was equivalent to what you just described. A 2014 3rd round pick carries the value of a 2013 4th round pick. We just felt that in this case it made more sense to get that 3rd next year to off-set the loss of the 4th (or potentially 3rd) round pick we had to fork over in the Saffold trade. We took a grand total of a 79 point loss on the pre-wage-scale value chart - that's pretty damn good considering the trades made outside of the Top 10 the last 2 drafts.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I don't trust Khaled Holmes to get on the right bus to camp without getting injured. Long's not going to last to the 3rd, he'll be gone in the 2nd at some point. If he reaches #55 we'll damn sure be taking him, otherwise we're giving some serious thought to Pugh as well. RT is still RT... with an actual young solution in place at LT, we can actually afford to sit on RT till probably the 4th and look to nail down Brennan Williams, David Quessenberry, or Jordan Mills (and just open camp with a battle for the starting RT position among that player, Haslam, Dunlap, and Harris - best man wins).

We're sitting on #45 for BPA right now - since Cyprien could fall, Te'o could fall, Jesse Williams probably won't (if I know members of other forums on the site) but John Jenkins or Brandon Williams certainly could, Hankins could fall (and has fallen to us in prior runs of this mock). Our mantra through the process thus far has been that the only excuse to not invest in the trenches with any pick is if there is a player available at another position of need with a ceiling higher than any available trench player. So far, so good.

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Should note too that in this mock thus far. The Chiefs took Ansah at #1 overall, much to the ridicule of just about everyone. The Raiders took Fisher at #3 - to mixed reaction. And the Donkeys, in continued "win now" fashion, just selected Eifert.

11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    Tank Carradine scares me though. He can either be scary good or be a bust. I just hope to see what the buzz will be about when he holds his workout April 20th.

So, that being said, I'd like to see something like this done if that was the case,

1. Arthur Brown ILB
    2. Terron Armstead OT
    2. Trevardo Williams OLB
    4. Le'Veon Bell RB
    5. Terry Hawthorne CB
    6. Earl Watford OG
    7. Mychal Rivera TE
    7. Marquess Wilson WR

EDITED*

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    How about if we swapped spots with the Rams on draft day?

They get:
    #11 overall, and 3rd rounder in 2014
    We get:
    #16 overall, and Rodger Saffold

Yes? No?

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Saffold is a FA after this season, so no way unless they can get an extension done prior to the trade

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 38 / -21
    No. They will take a 3rd and be happy for it, maybe even a 4th, we don't need to swap picks too then it becomes a Whitehurst trade.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Actually what we initially offered them in our mock, which was completely reasonable in terms of value (but again, they were "overvaluing" their player because of demand and want "draft pick return" versus just moving up) was swapping #11 for #16 and Saffold straight up. That values Saffold as the 6th pick in the 3rd round in this draft.

Bit of irony is that that might be a deal the actual Rams front office might be more willing to make (though Les Snead isn't one I've seen for trading up much - really depends on if Fisher gets a man-crush on a particular prospect - which could be the case with Vaccaro or Tavon Austin).

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    That's not happening this year. The space isn't there to eat a portion of the necessary signing bonus. Not to mention Saffold honestly need to show he can stay healthy a full season again before he's worth the kind of LT money he'd likely be seeking. Get him, get him past 12 games of effective play this season, offer him an extension that gives a reasonable signing bonus, but also carries a guaranteed option/roster bonus (effectively fancy contract language for a "delayed signing bonus") in 2014 and all works out well.

17. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that is a steaper price than I proposed earlier. Like mine better, lol. Anyways, I also don't like trading back that far to #26.

Sent from my GS3

18. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    I dont think we are going to see anything in his workout to make you go...Wow. Im sure he will have a brace on and no matter what he says, he isnt going to be 100% already. He said he would be 100% twice already by a certain date and they have been pushed back although he has improved his reps from 28 to 32 at Florida st's proday.

It would be nice to see his 40 time i guess but i dont think they run any other drills like the 3 cone or shuttle. I just think it is real encouraging that he is able to do a workout and run this soon.

19. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Sure it could. After June first, we will have 4 million of more space by splitting Gaithers dead money the next two seasons. I dont know how they would work it, but if they did trade for Saffold, im sure they would extend him at some point during the season.
    I dont see him getting a boatload anyways at this stage. He wont get as much as Albert and that is a fact....or Jake Long who got 34- 36 million.

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Updating... Jesse Williams did fall to #45 and we snatched him up. We're on the clock again in 10 picks with eyes on Pugh to play LG, Kyle Long, or possibly even Armstead or Watson if they continue to fall.

21. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    So you guys do this over 3 days like the real one?

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    A little more than 3 days. We do 9am-11pm EST, 1-hour time slots for the first 3 rounds, half-hour time slots for the last 4. Takes 10 days in total to pull off with all the compensatory picks factored in. We have a trade overseer who is largely there just to make sure that a team has the picks/assets they are saying they're trading - if a team wants to trade back 5 spots in the 1st for a little compensation as a 5th round pick, that's on them. We don't allow picks more than one year into the future to be used in transactions; and those picks are never actually made (i.e. they don't carry over year to year in the mock, so they're of variant value depending on the teams, but we do have a panel of writers who do grades - several of which write for the various draftnik sites around the web: Draftmonsters, SB Nation, etc.).

Earlier in the year we completed our much more thorough (and frustratingly time-consuming) version that features all facets of front office management (extensions, restructures, trades, free agency, and a limited draft - four rounds in standard format then we do auction-style for the final 3) - all completed prior to actual free agency starting in the league.

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Question; Is the value of the pick determined on the actual pick or the player that will be taken with that pick?

Example: Redskins traded up 4 spots for RG3. giving up that 6th pick two future 1st's and a 2nd

While ATL moved up 21 spots giving up that 27th spot, a 2nd, 4th, and a future 1st and 4th for Julio.

Obviously ATL gave up more picks, but Redskins gave up more valuable picks.

24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Generally there's a base value, but that value can often be exceeded when demand for the pick creates a bidding war as was the case with the #2 pick to select RG3.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    It scares me to take yet another 3-4 DE when we have already spent a 1st and 2nd rounder on them over the last couple years, and to move either one to NT seems ridiculous unless he somehow can go out and put on 30 lbs. I'd much rather get a true NT in the mid rounds to rotate with Cam Thomas

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 38 / -21
    Scare you? I'd say it would more annoy me.

27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Thanks, I was just thinking if this whole KC is interested in Joeckel was just a ploy to trade back, Miami being one team that may believe they're only one or two pieces away, may think of moving up to take the top tackle. I doubt only giving up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd would get the job done though.

Second part of my thinking. do you think it would take more than a 3rd to move up to 6 for us? or even giving up our 2nd but swapping 3rd's

I know new Gm's don't like to get rid of draft picks, but if Fisher were still there, or even Johnson, I almost think we have to move up. I still do think Johnson could be there at 11, still a gamble.

I understand we have many holes to fill but honestly if we were to walk out of this drat with:
    Fisher/Johnson, OLB, ILB, CB, NT, SS I'd be happy

28. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    No trading up!

Sent from my GS3

• Winner Winner x 1
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Updating... 2nd round, pick #55... San Diego Chargers select OG/OT Justin Pugh, Syracuse.

Also, I went back and read through some scouting reports of guys I trust from a couple years ago and found one on Steve Schilling. Then took those and reviewed what I could of Schilling's play for us since he was drafted - and it's spot on. Norv and Hunter insisted on slotting Schilling in as an RT, which yes that was where Schilling played part of his time in college but where he really showed flashes of good potential was as a LG. However, there was (and I would bet still is) as technical flaw to his game that needed to be corrected before he would have been capable of being an effective guard at the next level - he's great moving/blocking to his right but struggles leading with his left shoulder and is vulnerable when rushers attack that shoulder. Go back to preseason tape and the instances where he had to come in a play in injury reserve for us and sure enough... whenever someone was beating Steve outright it was while attack his left shoulder. That's correctable - particularly now that we have a competent OL coach. At this point given the difference in natural athleticism, I'd give an edge to Schilling over Troutman as a guard with possible starting potential on this team as he's also the superior scheme fit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Unless it's a situation where we take either Cooper or Warmack, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even take a OG at all, since we do have Schilling, Troutman, Rinehart, and O Berger. Although like I stated in a different thread, I do kind of like Vinston Painter as a RT/OG prospect.

But to my main reason to post:

I stumbled across a mock draft that was spot on from everything I would want, (it's almost like this was mine or something:D)

11: OT Lane Johnson
    45: DE/OLB Alex Okafor
    76: RB Jonathan Franklin (IMO although I would love this pick, I'd still give the edge to an ILB Bostic or Alonso)
    109: CB Terry Hawthorne
    145: OLB Travis Long

It was only a 5 round mock, but spot on for needs/picks

• Agree Agree x 1