1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +665 / 17 / -2
    Personally I think we need to be draft like this

11. Eric Fisher OT; I believe every can agree LT is our biggest issue, If Gaither stays we still need to address the LT position. If Fisher happens to be drafted by the AZ Cards then I say we grab Lane Johnson (preferably like to trade back to acquire Johnson but if we can't we still need to grab him here)
    47.OLB

78. DB

109. OG

140. RB

171. WR

209. K
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    I'm pretty happy with our current kicker. If you're talking about bringing someone in to compete, then we might as well bring in someone with no opportunity cost associated with them. There will be literally dozens of kickers available without having to use a draft pick on one.
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +482 / 13 / -3
    Yup I agree, Justin Tucker, who was pretty damn accurate and made some big kicks this year and is in the Super Bowl as an undrafted rookie free agent.

I'm pretty content if our draft looks like this,

Round 1 - OT
    Round 2 - TE/OLB
    Round 3 - OLB/WR
    Round 4 - RB/CB
    Round 5 - CB/SS
    Round 6 - ILB/OG
    Round 7 - OG
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +665 / 17 / -2
    On ESPN, Chris Mortensen said Texas A&M T Luke Joeckel is "probably the frontrunner" for the No. 1 pick.
    Mortensen then added he's "got a feeling" Andy Reid might instead take a quarterback with the first pick. Basically, it is too early to determine who is being drafted where, even with the first overall selection. Branden Albert's free agency will play a large role.
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,017 / 33 / -20
    Letting Albert walk creates a problem that they don't need to create, if they draft Joeckel they fix the problem, but one thing is for sure...they will be no better in 2013 because of the decision to take Joeckel over Albert.

They may save a little cap room, but if they can't find a QB it doesn't freakin matter.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    Unless they attempt to trade for A. Smith or M. Flynn before FA starts.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,017 / 33 / -20
    As I said, if they can't find a QB it doesn't freakin matter.;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +665 / 17 / -2
    Matt Flynn is most likely to be released, Alex Smith is going to ask the 49ers to trade him to a team he would like to play for. I expect a couple other surprises also, Maybe Ryan Mallett gets moved, Nick Foles gets re united with Reid in KC is a possibility.

David Garrard, Matt Moore, Jason Campbell are a couple of intriguing FA's Im not saying any of these guys will make your franchise a winner but they're good band aids while your QB develops.
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +665 / 17 / -2
    So I stumbled across to enemy lines to see what Chief fans are hoping to draft. It appears most are saying they want Geno Smith, Alternative would be trade for Alex Smith.

Its funny I read some articles about how the Chiefs should draft Joeckel or Loutelelei and how upset some of them were, "We don't need a (insert position here) we need a QB. WE NEED GENO SMITH!!!!!" then they go on about how Kaepernick, Wilson and RGIII are so good.

One thing I noticed all of them agreeing on was they all wanted Albert back
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +482 / 13 / -3
    Where QB's land this year is going to be so interesting, atleast to me. There are so many QB's out there and there's only a few teams out there that need a QB.

That being said. I think Flynn will be traded, the Seahawks want something for him. Alex Smith will ask the 49ers to release him before FA, as PFT stated, and it makes the most sense. Ryan Mallet won't get moved, he'll be in New England without a doubt. I doubt Nick Foles gets traded to KC with Reid. Can't see it.

Garrad will never be an NFL starter again, his knee injury won't last him through camp. Jason Campbell might want to stay in Chicago, cause he won't get a gig anywhere else as a starter, and Chicago gives him his best chance to start with Cutler hurting a fingernail every other game.

I think a lot of teams will be looking for their QB's through the draft, I really do. Alex Smith and Matt Flynn are probably the only one who will land a job as a starter this off season.
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +665 / 17 / -2
    Reports are saying Seattle wants a 4th for Flynn and SF doesn't want to release Smith because they'll still owe him 1 million, They are willing to work with him to find a spot he wants to play in to attempt a trade, that way they won't owe him anything.

I agree many teams will grab QB's just to give say they have their guy. To be honest there is still risk involved if a player doesn't pan out, but not as much as there was in past years where rookies were making more than veteran players. I see that for a reason why many teams are willing to gamble on QB's earlier just hoping to finally get a Franchise QB

If it doesn't pan out "oh well there's always next year"
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +482 / 13 / -3
    And that's quite demanding for Flynn, the guy was in a system in Green Bay, similar to how Cassel was in New England. And he couldn't beat out Wilson in training camp, but to Wilson's credit, if he played as well in training camp as he did in the 2012 season I can see that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +888 / 15 / -1
    Well, it makes a lot of sense. Teams don't go anywhere if they don't have a quality, competent option at QB. Also, the only teams in recent memory to have the number one pick and not take a QB were either right back picking in the Top 10 and having to reach for a QB prospect within a year or two (Miami - took Jake Long #1 over Matt Ryan) or had relatively recently spent a high 1st round pick on a QB (Houston - took Mario Williams #1 and even still there were fans among their base that wanted Vince Young at QB), and Houston's a bit of an exception because the ended up in a similar situation to the first situation because the following year they ended up engineering a trade to bring in a franchise QB (Schaub) at the expense of several 2nd round picks. People are getting bent out of shape because we just came out of a QB class that had two of the best prospects at the position to come into the league since Peyton (and even then the argument could be made that as a pure prospect RG3 was really more on the Eli, Rivers level - certainly not without his flaws). It's the nature of compare and contrast of this year's class versus last year's class.

Barring him going full blown John David Booty - which is highly unlikely - Matt Barkley is going to go in the 1st round, just as every other USC starting QB not named Booty has for the past decade-plus. Tyler Wilson didn't look impressive in the Senior Bowl, but it looked like a classic case of playing "not to hurt my stock" versus letting it all hang out and doing whatever I can to boost my stock; at his pro day with his receivers (though given how many times guys like Cobi Hamilton dropped balls for him this season, he may be better off with other receivers) I have little doubt he'll look considerably better and still slot into the 1st. Geno Smith is going to have to get popped for drugs or measure in sub-6'0" at this point to not go in the 1st. I don't believe EJ Manuel played himself into 1st round selection at the SB, but it wouldn't shock me to see a team bite on him there - or at least in Andy Dalton territory atop the 2nd. And someone is very likely to take a mid-to-late 1st round trade-up flier on Glennon, because while raw, he's got all the tools. And that still leaves out the wild card that is Tyler Bray - if he interviews well he's got the best arm in this draft, but he's got a lot to answer for (though it only takes one team); he'll either go in the 1st or sometime late on Day 2.
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +888 / 15 / -1
    Well... I wouldn't entirely hold Flynn not beating out Wilson in training camp because quite literally, from every account I've heard, he couldn't as in there was no opportunity afforded to him to do it aside from Wilson falling flat on his face. Carroll teed up the starting job for Wilson because he was so high on him - opened up the offense much more for him when he was in, gave him mostly reps against 2nd and 3rd string defenders, gave him nearly two times the snaps that Flynn was given. Flynn performed very well in the preseason, but he was never really given a fair shot to earn the job by Pete.

Now, I'm certainly suspect of Flynn's limited experience, but I don't know that I'd be inclined to label him another Cassel yet. He's looked productive (albeit in the preseason for one against vanilla defenses) in two different systems (Seattle's and Green Bay's). And Flynn's contract is extremely more attractive at present than Cassel's was - since Cassel was being tagged and traded and was commanding a new contract. To be honest, I'm surprised Seattle is valuing him so low - other than to potentially free up the cap space for a major move.
  15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +665 / 17 / -2
  16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +665 / 17 / -2
    One thing I do like is every one every where is in agreement that the number one issue to address and fix is O line.

Im just excited to see how Telesco goes about doing so.
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,017 / 33 / -20
    I was more excited when I thought we had a better chance for Eric Fisher. And then Matthews and Lewan backed out and Fisher had a monster senior bowl (as I figured he would) and now its not unlikely we get left reaching a little on Lane Johnson, who I like but is a step down.

I really wish we could go defense in this draft. You know next year is gonna be lite after this year.
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +665 / 17 / -2
    Agreed on the defense part. Luckily for us though is some of that talent may slide into the second (Upshaw last year), I'm with you on the Fisher part how it is looking less likely for him to be there at 11, but I wouldn't second guess taking Lane Johnson in that spot, He is still raw, still learning (very quick learner), and who's to say 2 years own the road he doesn't establish himself to be the best LT in this class.

One thing I do like is the DB's
    I would be welcoming of Poyer, Trufant, McFadden, Wreh Wilson, Ryan, Alford

Here's to hoping these QB's finally step up and impress through the Combine and Pro Day's
  20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    It's a shame we won those games @Pit, @ NYJ, and vs Oak. I'd be drooling with happiness at the prospect of not only for sure getting Fisher, but also of most likely having a top defender still on the board at the top of the second due to the depth in this class.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +888 / 15 / -1
    After watching Rivers (who didn't even run the 40 as a prospect because his time - in the low 6.0's - was slower than most linemen's) run for his life behind the Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tubemen we put in front of him last season, I'm not sure any person that wasn't legally blind could contend anything different.
  22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +888 / 15 / -1
    Bleh! This draft isn't stacked with blue chip prospects, particularly compared to other recent classes. Granted, I'm saying this pre-combine so whether workout results confirm or deny my suspicions on some prospects is still unsettled, but it is what it is. On the plus side, this draft has a very deep Top 100 - meaning that barring teams truly shooting themselves in the foot with major reaches, if you've got a Top 100 pick there's no reason you shouldn't be able to look back, at most, 2 completed season from now and say that you got a quality starter from each of your picks.

Sorry, I won't advocate tanking. Anyone whose played a competitive sport at any level higher than the ones where they give out "participation trophies" should feel the same. The Lions have had a premium pick in all but one draft for the past decade... and they're honestly no better off than we are talent wise (each team has its strengths and clear weaknesses) - the same can be said for the Browns. You don't have to have premium picks to build a championship team. Hell, Baltimore is playing for the league championship on Sunday and the highest pick in the 1st round they've made since the last time they won a Super Bowl was the natural 18th overall selection they spent on their franchise QB.

People need to stop expecting (not saying you are, but I think it's a major theme among people trying to force moves and lamenting that we don't have better tools to build with at the moment) an immediate turn around. Is it possible because of the division we're in and the fact that our conference as a whole is somewhat on the decline compared to its counterpart? Sure. But this may well be a two-year process before we see the kind of results we want. Rome wasn't built in a day, and last I checked the two teams playing in the big game this weekend both built almost entirely through drafting and developing, and merely augmented with free agents (the FA signings are almost entirely complimentary players, not core ones).
  23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    Bold: We're so far behind the 8 ball that I have no expectations that we'll see a single season turnaround. However, I think that beginning our turnaround by acquiring a LT good enough to protect Rivers for the rest of his career would be optimal, and my extreme terror at the prospect of Fisher not being on the board when we pick has me concerned about whether the team will have turned around even after 2 years.

Red: There's a tremendous difference between advocating tanking games and recognizing that the team would have been better served by losing a few more.
  24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +888 / 15 / -1
    And there's a tremendous difference between recognizing the team would be in a better drafting position and feeling the need to bemoan that we didn't at seemingly every possible opportunity. Furthermore, there are two sides to every coin, we would be in a better draft position had we lost a few more, we would not be indisputably "better served" by losing a few more. 7-9 suggests this team is still capable of turning things around without a major overhaul and still has at least an even chance to compete for a playoff spot - that means something to free agents AND to the few high talent players already on our roster we want to extend. If Donald Butler had sat and watched this team get progressively worse and worse while he was here - in spite of his progressively better and better play - and the most recent example he had to go off of was a 4-12 season as opposed to a 7-9 season, you really think he's going to have great motivation to re-up here without getting massively overpaid? This is certainly a viable argument and one plenty of players make (e.g. look why Dwayne Bowe wants the hell out of KC, why Posluszny bailed on Buffalo, why Al Davis had to pay Asomugha more than any quarterback in the league was making in order to keep him in Oakland as long as he was able to).
  25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9

Granted, there are advantages provided in terms of signing your own FAs, although until the firing of Smitty, our ability to get FAs on the cheap had been reduced to 0 anyway. We'll see what free agency looks like under Telesco, but that fact that DB is a FA at this point is abominable. Kid should've been extended before last season.
  26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +888 / 15 / -1
    He's not an FA. My point is that had he been looking at this team as a 4-win team (when the team he was drafted onto was a playoff team that had just the year prior gone to the Conference Championship), there's likely very little motivation to stick around. The strategy that works best for building championship teams is draft well and re-sign your own stars and quality contributors wherever possible. The thing is, the player has to be willing to want to stay, he's not just going to sign an extension because you offer him one.
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,017 / 33 / -20
    I think wins and losses start to matter more when players start getting older. I would say most players first priority by far is money, followed by scheme, location, coaches, wins/losses. And we're in a situation now where most of the games we lost were close, and mostly the fault of the OFFENSE, also Butler is from Sacramento so unless he desires to play for the laughing stock that is the Oakland Raiders I don't see any other team being a better fit.

Dwayne Bowe wants out of KC because they don't have a QB, and won't for the foreseeable future if they do take Joeckel.
    Poz left Buffalo because Jacksonville offered him a lot of money after Buffalo overpaid for Mario Williams.
  28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +888 / 15 / -1
    Actually Poz left Buffalo well before they got hold of Mario. And Buffalo offered him a hefty contract extension year prior after they tendered him as a restricted free agent - the guy wanted out of Buffalo, plain and simple. The loyalty of players to losing programs is far from tremendous.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +482 / 13 / -3
    11. Lane Johnson - OT - I still think, somehow, Eric Fisher magically falls to us. But if he doesn't, which is understandable, Lane Johnson should be taken with the 11th overall pick, no trading back. Since, he will be the best next option at OT, someone will try to sneak in a grab him.
    47. Kawann Short - DL - I don't know where he will fit best, but I think he can play some NT and also versatile to play DE, and give us some depth. Kawann Short is a big dude, good wingspan as he batted 11 passes down this year. He has a knack of getting in the backfield as well.
    78. Justin Pugh - OG - I think after Pugh's performace at the Sr. Bowl, and also how he measures at the combine, he will fall down draft boards if he hasn't already. That being said, I think we can utilize him at OG. He's got athleticism and speed to get to the 2nd level, which will be key in our ZBS. Also has experience, who played in 30+ games at Syracuse and we can also kick him to ROT if we need to.
    109. Stepfan Taylor - RB - Versatile in the pass game as a blocker or receiver, picks up blitzes very well and was relied on at Stanford for that. He has to be a little more patient in the run game and look for the cut back, as there will be holes for him to cut back into.
    140. Brandon McGee - CB - Great performance at the East-West Shrine game, we might be lucky if he falls to us. Has confidence in his ability and great footwork.
    171. Jake Stoneburner - TE - I hope we make this pick. If not, I'd like to see Ryan Otten here. Stoneburner is a big dude, was used like Aaron Hernandez was in Florida in Urbam Meyer's system, of course Hernandez had 3 years experience in it and produced at a high level his Jr. year. But Stoneburner looks identical, great hands, doesn't let the ball get to his body, could work on his frame a little though, since McCoy's system will use a H-back type player.
    209. Quanterus Smith - OLB - The nation's leader in sacks after only playing in 10 games due to an ACL injury. He could be back for the 2013 season, but we will most likely have to wait until the 2014 season to see his full potential. Could be a real steal - Donald Butler type pick.

So we get 3-4 plug in play type players from this draft if it falls this way. I'd love to see this happen, would be my ideal draft.

Some guys that I think will be UDFA's and I'd like for us to look at,
    SS - Ray Ray Armstrong
    CB - Mike Edwards
    ILB - Steve Greer
    OT - Alex Hurst
    OG - Blaize Foltz
    OG - Alex Kupper
    WR - Roy Roundtree
    WR - Mark Harrison
  30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +665 / 17 / -2
    Agree on Lane Johnson, when all is said and done I don't believe he'll be as high as a reach as some people suggest. The only thing I see high on this kid is his ceiling.

I would swap Short out for one of the better DB's

Although I do like Taylor he will go anywhere from round 2-4 where as Dennis Johnson who I also really really like can be had more in the 5th through 7th

Another RB I like is Christine Michael