1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I agree and I didn't see anyone who fell into that category, but like I said unless it was Robert Woods and it was in the 3rd or something like that

The thing that scares the S@#t out of me is the only class that truly showed up and impressed so far was the O line group.

A side from Floyd, Jordan, Mingo and a couple later round kids, guys like Moore especially dropped big time in my opinion. Sure 225 is nothing to sneeze at but only being able to put up 12 while the average is in the 20's really shows me the upper body strength is lacking especially when you're going to be asked to bull rush 300 lb linemen from time to time.

Werner looked so so, Im hoping star is ok, as ide from the fact I just hope he's alright and the heart condition is not serious but the selfish side of me wants more defensive players for go ahead of us to further assure we get us a top LT
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I expect Cordarrelle Patterson, Keenan Allen and Tavon Austin to go in the 1st. Possibly Robert Woods as well.

Danario Alexander will most likely be back, whether he makes it out of camp or not is a big question mark to me. Every year he struggles with injuries in camp. So we can't bank on him being a starter.

Vincent Brown coming off ankle surgery, I'm worried if the explosiveness and leaping ability is still there. I'm sure it will be.

Robert Meachem will not be cut, as Tom Telesco said. That's mainly due to the cap hit we'd take. Eddie Royal will most likely be here, and given a year under Mike McCoy which he had one of his best seasons with. I hope Micheal Spurlock is brought back as a return man, but he also shows something as a slot receiver, so that's a plus over Richard Goodman.

I'm telling you, we lost Vincent Jackson. He was a favorite target of Rivers. Here is a deep class of WR's. Time to take one in the 2nd round. I'm not worried either, cause Telesco did say they took Reggie Wayne, and they didn't have a need at WR that year. Malcolm Floyd isn't going to produce that much, he had trouble getting separation at times.

DeAndre Hopkins and Marcus Wheaton are extremely underrated. Both great talents, and if this draft class wasn't so deep at this position they'd be 1st rounders without a doubt.
  3. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    People can shake off the WR position, but I'm just letting you guys know, this will be the next problem to fix on offense.

Antonio Gates is getting old, we haven't seen much from Robert Meachem and Eddie Royal, Vincent Brown is coming off ankle surgery, and Danario Alexander has an injury every year in camp.

The O-line will be fixed, but it won't help much if these guys can't get much separation for Rivers.
  4. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Cornelius Washington just caught my eye and many others by the way. He definitely fits the 3-4.
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Of course it will, and when it becomes a problem we can focus on it then.

Right now O-line is a massive problem as I can only see 1 starter (Hardwick) starting again in 2013. Also we're about to lose our sack leader, both starting CBs, and possibly our defensive leader if Spikes retires. Not to mention we could use a solid #2 RB, and some depth along the D-line and at SS.

I honestly can't see us using a pick on a WR earlier than the 5th round unless Patterson or Austin take a big slide in the 2nd round, or a guy like Justin Hunter falls to the 3rd.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    McCoy was the QB coach in 2009 also his first year in Denver. Royals best season was under Shannahan in 2008, I may also mention his best season was playing opposite of Brandon Marshall with Cutler throwing him the ball.

As I mentioned before in another post Telesco says they took Reggie Wayne when they didn't even need a WR that year, He failed to mention that they were already a play off team with tons of talent. Given the need for more pressing needs I assure you a WR isn't going to automatically make us a lock for the super bowl.

AZ, KC, Jax, Cle, Phi, All have true number 1 Wr's yet seem to be picking in the front end of drafts.

Again I want to say I wholeheartedly agree with you we need a true WR as a matter of fact I believe we need 2

But we also need 5 offensive linemen, 2 starting DB's, a SS, an ILB and OLB, a kicker, a blocking TE/H Back, a complimentary RB. so seeing how we have 5 Wr's on our roster and 2 on our PS, until we do finally get that true WR or something close to, WR is on the back of my list.

The other spots I see as a bigger need because they affect the way the other positions perform or in some cases we don't currently have anyone under contract
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    And if you really think about it...what did Vincent Jackson win the Buccaneers this year? They won just as many games as we did. And Denario Alexander had nearly as many TDs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    And for those keeping score at home in 10 games DX had almost as many yards and more TD's then Fitz.

I do get where Supercharger 92 is coming from, I would love having that AJ Green, Megatron, Larry Fitz, Brandon Marshall "freak of an athlete type WR" Just not today.

I'd honestly rather sit and wait and see where we are and who knows maybe Marquis Lee next year:whistling:
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Having said all that 3 guys who impressed me yesterday who are projected to go later rounds 5th-7th (2 being due to personal concerns)

Marquess Wilson who was a highly touted wr prospect until he quit his team and filed for abuse

Marcus Davis has the speed size and hands just has issues about giving up on plays and not blocking

Rodney Smith another Size speed guy who could become a great prospect with the right coaching
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Hence why I said it was one of Royal's best seasons with McCoy, in 2010, not his best year.

We do not need 5 new offensive linemen -- Nick Hardwick will be our center, and Louis Vasquez will be our right guard. Who plays at right tackle is up to the coaches, my feeling is it will be Jeromey Clary. Jared Gaither will not be cut, and will play left tackle unless he is injured once again, in which we will spend a top pick on, either 1st or 2nd rounder. Who plays left guard is another story, that could be dealt with in the draft, or free agency, or signing one of our own or believing in one of our own (Johnnie Troutman).

2 starting corners, well, it won't look sexy, but I think it will get the job done until next year, in Marcus Gilchrist & Sharecee Wright battling it out Johnnie Patrick and 2 free agency acquisitions (most likely Telesco's guys from Indy, Jerraud Powers & Darius Butler).

At strong safety, Brandon Taylor has already began running. So he looks to be making good progress and Telesco said he might be ready for camp. Wouldn't be surprised to see Corey Lynch re-signed or Quentin Jammer to play strong safety/emergency corner.

At kicker, Nick Novak surely deserves another season. He'll be cheap too. Plus we can get an UDFA (Like the Ravens did with Justin Tucker).

We don't need a blocking tight end anymore, McCoy and Whisenhunt's offenses don't rely on that. It will be an H-back, which we can find in the draft, theres 2-3 of them available later on. Outside linebacker, we'll most likely re-sign Antwan Barnes and keep Larry English and draft one as well. Running back and inside linebacker will be found in the draft as well or free agency.
  11. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    :roflmao:

Did you see who was throwing the ball in Arizona?! First it was Skeleton, then Kolb, then Skeleton, then Lindley, then Hoyer! And Fitzgerald still amassed 71 receptions, while being double teamed with a terrible offensive line, quarterback play, and run game.

Vincent Jackson didn't win anything in Tampa Bay because their defense was historically awful. He still had a career year and his best, of 72 receptions, 1,300+ yards and 8 TD's.
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Also, think Danario Alexander is a #1? Look at his last 3 games. When Malcolm Floyd went out against Carolina, he faced #1 corners, and had 4 receptions, 103 yards, and 2 TD's.
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    So you're saying the way we fix our O line is to do completely nothing to fix it? The O line is the main reason we are picking where we are and the same reason we have been declining year after year

5 offensive linemen being yes re signing Vasquez

I expect us to address LT/RT or both, LG/RG or both in the draft as Acee simply put it, "If you're not going to fix our entire O line, you may as well trade Rivers now" according to him the dozens of coaches and scouts he mentioned that to all said they agreed.
  14. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    When Jared Gaither is on the field, Philip Rivers blindside is protected. We will most likely go tackle with one of our first 2 picks. Gaither, cannot be trusted after this year, But if he does decide to buy in to how things are running under McCoy and Telesco, then we can move our selection to right tackle to take over for Jeromey Clary.

I expect us to do the same as well. But, either Gaither or Clary will be a starter in 2013, Hardwick will be the center, and Vasquez hopefully gets re-signed to play right guard. So that leaves a hole at left guard.

Our first 2 picks will be offensive line, whether its OT or OG. That's why I like if we trade back in the first, gain a 2nd day pick, and draft Jonathan Cooper to play LG. Then we can take a guy like Terron Armstead or Menelik Watson in the 2nd to play tackle, either on the left or right.

I believe we'll get 3 OL from this draft, but you can't throw 5 new OL together and expect results. There is no such chemistry, and thats why Hardwick will remain, and their making it a pressing need to re-sign Vasquez. Then when they meet with Gaither, they'll find out his deal. But, there will be 2 new offensive line starters in 2013.

Don't forgot we also have a new scheme in place and new coaches. We cannot throw 5 new OL together and expect this OL to be any better than last years. I'll say it again, we cannot throw 5 new OL together and expect this OL to be any better than last years.
  15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    at that point many more thing factor into this, Gates was more involved, Royal was more involved, and do you honestly believe teams were respecting the run with Ronnie Brown, Jackie Battle and Curtis Brinkley leading the charge

The fact is as long as our offense is clicking, Rivers has more time to throw, our run game is moving the chains. Does is matter who is getting the yards? the stats I care about are the 2 TD's DX had, and the 3 TD's Gates had
  16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Just like in '09 when perpetual journeymen Kelley Washington, Seyi Ajirotutu, and Patrick Crayton were weekly starters and our offense suffered? Oh no, wait... Rivers had a season that challenged for OPOY that year.

Is it a position that will need to be addressed at some point? Yes. However, you're slightly overrating the quality of the depth in this draft class. There's a lot of high end #2's in this class, very few natural #1's (I equate #1's to guys in basketball who can create their own shot). However, speed is always the single greatest selling point for WR's in the NFL draft - always has been and now that there's less money tied to higher draft picks it will continue to be the case. That's why/how guys like AJ Jenkins sneak into the 1st round or guys like Armanti Edwards are drafted before much more productive college receivers like Dezmon Briscoe, Danario Alexander, and David Gettis. So these "great separation" guys go early.

We've heard rumblings that the approach that's likely to be taken is starting youth at a decent amount of positions this season, so unless we start massively slashing from the current WR corps, I doubt we're going to see a lot of priority put on spending draft picks at WR. Just keep you fingers crossed that someone like Ryan Swope gets undervalued (he won't, but we can hope - more likely he's coming off the board in the 2nd round) or Chris Harper gets undervalued because he doesn't have a pretty 40 time (4.55s, though he had a very reasonable 1.55s 10-yard split), which is far more likely.
  17. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    He is injured every year but he wasnt hurt much last year compared to others. If he only misses two games, thats not bad but like you, i dont count on it.
    Look at it this way, we didnt have Brown last season and we get him back this year. This year in the draft, WR isnt a high priority. Maybe they get one late or maybe they find a gem as a UDFA. But i doubt they use a high pick on one in this draft. Perhaps in the 2014 offseason they may cut Floyd but he is affordable this year.
  18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    OK, nobody expects the team to be playoff ready next season. With huge OL problems and other areas to fix plus not a lot of cap room, WR is a low priority right now. Doubt they use a second round pick on a WR. Maybe Meachum steps it up. You never know what will happen.
    Maybe Alexander doesnt get hurt. Maybe they should just send him home till the season stats since that worked out so well before :D
  19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    You're basing your impression of her body fat on a man's body, not a woman's. A woman under 12% starts experiencing significant medical problems, and would die long before hitting 3%, whereas a man can hit 3% for a short period (maybe a day) while only feeling extreme weakness.

I'm the kind of guy whose wife counts her own calories when she reaches into the pantry, which isn't full of doughnuts or twinkies because neither of us want to be fat. It's not about her not having a sixpack, it's about her looking 5 months pregnant in some of her shots, having no waist, and having her bikini top and bottom sink an inch-deep into fat. I don't find the girl in pic one sexy either, but girl 2 hardly has man arms. Separation of the biceps, delts, and triceps hardly constitutes "man-arms". Upton is no where near the 25% picture. Not even close.
  20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I don't think anybody expected Indy to be a playoff team last year, either, and yet they were, and with a poverty roster at that. All it really takes is for one team that you'd otherwise expect to have a playoff season to have the wheels fall off. Players who had been studs get older, key players get injured where the team lacks an adequate backup, other teams on their schedule get lucky breaks, and all of a sudden a 12-4 team the year before is an 8-win team the following season. There was no change in the division winners from 2011 to 12 in the AFC, and only 1 change in the overall field, and I certainly don't think that's likely to repeat.

Pretty much, if Mathews stays healthy, Harris can outplay Clary at RT, we resign Vazquez, draft a decent LT to play when Gaither invariably quits/hurts his vag, and get even middling play at LG, we'll have a wildly better offense.

My early read on our record is 7 wins +/-3, and it really comes down to those five linemen up front and who we have behind them. Our defense is on an upward trajectory, but it's a tough call as far as were the offense is going to be.
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    And by all forms of probability, Indy shouldn't have been a playoff team last year. They benefited from playing a last place season and from traditionally competitive teams like us, the Jets, and Pittsburgh all crapping the bed in the same season. This is a team that had a negative point differential on the season (i.e. gave up more points than they actually scored), eeked out 4th quarter wins against crap teams, and got curb-stomped by any '11 or '12 playoff team on their schedule. And lo and behold, they got to the playoffs and were smashed - they were the 2010 Tampa Bay Bucs with the benefit of a weaker conference on the year.

You don't bank on repeating statistical anomalies. That's like consistently putting bets on "00" in roulette and then getting mad when you don't get paid off.
  22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Of course they shouldn't have been a playoff team, and they weren't really at the same level as the other 5 teams in the AFC field, but that's not the point. The question isn't whether or not Indy deserved to be a playoff team, or even whether the Chargers are likely to deserve to be a playoff team next season. The question is simply whether or not the Chargers could be a playoff team next year.

It's certainly not likely, but I wouldn't say that it's out of the realm of the possible at all.
  23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    OK. I'm with you so far, but how does that necessitate that WR - what is effectively a luxury position for this team as it presently stands - be an early or even mid-range draft pick for us unless the value is absolutely phenomenal? As I believe that was the train the discussion was on.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Remember, offensive tackle wasn't labeled a "need" last year heading into the 2012 draft, but we sure needed one in 2012 with the more than ever poor play from Jeromey Clary, and Jared Gaither's meaningless 4 games started.
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Last year was a different situation than we're in now. We had cap space (we don't now), AJ used it, and after FA we didn't have as many perceived "needs" as we do right now, or nearly as many impending free agents that were STARTERS.

And who are you hoping we draft anyway? Are we going to ignore the gaping hole at left tackle in favor of 168 pound Tavon Austin? **** no.

By the way RT has been a need for at least the last 5 years, and it absolutely was labeled as such.
  26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    You're making revisionist history 20:20, it doesn't work like that in the real world. Moreover, your comparing the current front office to the previous one as if they were the same.

And last I recall, to anyone not named AJ Smith and his cronies, OT was considered a need last season because Clary was still a worthless sack of cow dung. LEFT TACKLE wasn't considered a need, because we had just re-signed Gaither who to that point had performed admirably for us. Had it been known then that Gaither was going to mail it in as soon as his check was banked OT probably would have been considered a much greater need (though still not really because AJ never valued OL that highly anyway).

If we somehow gain the luxury of an extra pick from a trade back, then yes, WR becomes an option IMO (that is the very definition of "luxury pick"), but as our current picks stand right now with regard to our current roster, unless there is beyond outstanding value on the board (and WR's typically tend to be one of the positions that come off the board quite faithfully to value), we're better set shoring up other areas where we don't have functional depth than fishing for "a guy that might develop into a #1 but is probably not much more than a #2" (which is what we already have a fair amount of rostered already).
  27. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,447 / 19 / -4
    What the hell, I'll throw a mock out

1) Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
    Unless there's a good trade offer or the team really doesn't like him, I don't see how he's not the selection
    2) Jonathan Banks CB Mississippi St
    Thank God for a poor Combine showing, he'll fall right into our laps
    3) Le'veon Bell RB Michigan State
    Rock Baker is joined by Bell, and it gives us something of a thunder/lightning duo
    4) Brennan Williams OT UNC
    I've been high on him for a while, if his health checks out, he can finally replace that damn albatross Clary.
    5) Gerald Hodges LB Penn State
    Removes the Albatros that is Jonas Mouton from the team
    6) Levine Toilolo TE Stanford
    6'8? Catches passes? Why the hell not?
    7) Colby Cameron QB Louisiana Tech
    Someone to groom to replace Whitehurst and maybe Rivers
  28. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I'm just saying.. **** no we shouldn't go WR in the 1st! I never said that, but I wouldn't be opposed to it in the 2nd. I'll give you an overview of what I'm talking about here. I think Luke Joeckel & Eric Fisher will be gone by 11 by the way.

Chance Warmack available,​
    1. Chance Warmack OG
    2. Terron Armstead OT*
    3. Da'Rick Rogers WR
    4. David Quessenberry OG/OT

No Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher or Chance Warmack,
    1. Lane Johnson OT
    2. DeAndre Hopkins WR
    3. Montee Ball RB

No Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson or Chance Warmack,
    1. Jonathan Cooper OG/C*
    2. Terron Armstead OT
    3. Quinton Patton WR
    3. Cornelius Washington OLB

I absolutely love David Quessenberry. I have him pegged at our 4th round in every mock I did, whether he lasts til our pick in the 4th, I don't know. But either 3rd-4th round I like him. He can play the interior and exterior positions on the OL. I bet you he can even outplay Jeromey Clary for the RT spot in camp his rookie year. But thats not saying much cause I think Mike Harris can too.

Jonathan Cooper is going to be our starting center when Nick Hardwick hangs it up. I love Nick, and maybe he looked bad cause of Tyronne Green, but teams really went at him up the middle and were pretty successful. Colin Baxter may be able to take over in our offense, but I don't think David Molk will. So I think Cooper would be a good pick up, one he fills a hole at LG, and two he can fill in at center when that becomes a hole.

But then again, all matters what happens with Gaither, and free agency. If Gaither wants to play for this team this year, then I think we still select a guy in the 2nd as a safety precaution.
  29. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    I think after the combine this week. And based on team needs i think the best possibility will be these players
    1.chance warmack og alabama.
    2.jonathan banks cb miss state.
    3. Kyle long rt Oregon.
    4.montee ball rb wisconsin.
    5. Gerald hodges lb penn state
    6. A qb
    7. A kicker
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    -- What do you plan on doing at left tackle if Jared Gaither gets hurt again?
    -- Kyle Long grades out better at guard, and will be drafted as a guard for sure, doesn't have what it takes to play tackle in the NFL.
    -- Montee Ball won't fall to the 4th, but if he does I'd take him in a heartbeat.
    -- We don't need a quarterback or kicker? All our 6th round quarterback will be doing is watching Rivers. Not a good idea to waste a pick there, when we can get an UDFA, as Charlie Whitehurst should be cut, the money he'll be making against the cap in 2013 as a backup. Nick Novak did a great job last year, and we can sign an UDFA kicker, like the Super Bowl winning Ravens did in Justin Tucker, who made some big kicks for them to compete with Novak.