1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 7, 2013.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    1. Star NT utah
    2. Terron armstead LT
    3.montee ball rb
    4. Kevin reddick Ilb
    5.bpa
    6. Bpa
    7.bpa
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Armstead won't fall to us in the 2nd, not a chance.
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Yeah no way, I honestly don't mind trading back into the mid-20's and taking him, especially if Joe D worked him at his pro-day and sees a lot of potential in him.
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Where the heck was Joe D? Which further my thinking (worries) that we may not go OT in the first.

Zero NFL OL coaches attended Oklahoma's Pro Day, so T Lane Johnson was not put through a workout.
    Johnson only measured and weighed in. It is an interesting development, since Johnson is widely considered a top three player at his position. However, teams likely feel very comfortable with his evaluation, since he fully participated at the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine.
  5. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Ian Rapoport reported, Cardinals are NOT expected to go QB first round, will have an open competition between Drew Stanton, Brian Hoyer, and either Ryan Lindley or John Skeleton. They feel like with Arians, Tom Moore, and Freddie Kitchens they can develop someone to be a very serviceable starter, everyone knows Tom Moore helped shaped Peyton Manning.

Buffalo is certainly smiling, but I honestly can and can't see Arizona going OG with Warmack or Cooper. I think Levi Brown is set in stone at LOT for them, he had a torn tricep last year and before that started and played in 64 straight games.

They have a need at SS and FS with Kerry Rhodes and Adrian Wilson gone however, I expect a team like Miami to trade up, possibly take Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel if there, but if not expect Lane Johnson unfortunately.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Last line says it all. NFL Combine I think pretty much solidified him as a round 1 guy. Unless his interviews didn't go well, can't see why, with the combine and his tape, he isn't a round 1 draft pick.

It is odd, but most teams are still together getting the free agency and player personnel down. Probably just bad timing.
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Not good

Lions LT Jeff Backus is retiring from football.
    The No. 18 pick of the 2001 draft, Backus missed one game in 12 seasons. He was never a Pro Bowler or All Pro along the way, but was a strong pass protector up until 2012, where his play began to slip. He had been bandied about as a candidate for release before today's announcement. The Lions are now left with holes at both tackle spots, and will have to thrust unproven 2012 first-round pick Riley Reiff into one of them. The owners of the No. 5 pick, the Lions should be linked to each of the draft's top tackles between now and April 25.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I disagree. I don't think they drafted Reiff to play RT, and they aren't going to use a top 10 pick on a RT either. This is an opportunity for them to monster up their defense, and I don't see them walking away from that.
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    New top 10 mock...

KC - Joeckel
    JAX - Milliner
    OAK - Floyd
    PHI - Lotulelei: They have Cole and Barwin, they need a NT more than they need a RT.
    DET - Fisher: Easiest pick in the draft.
    SD - Johnson: Chargers give up 11, 76, and probably a pick in 2014 to secure Lane Johnson. Don't like it? Too damn bad.
    ARI - Smith
    BUF - Jordan
    NYJ - Mingo
    TEN - Vaccaro
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I just can't see us giving up a 3rd, and then another in 2014. Telesco drilled into everyone's mind we will be draft driven, and we need players to contribute in 2013, similar to how the Colts' picks last year contributed, Luck (1st rounder), Fleener (2nd rounder), Allen (3rd rounder), T.Y. Hilton (3rd rounder), Vick Ballard (5th rounder)..

I don't know if we can afford to give up picks.. I think we just sit at 11 and see how it falls..
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Thats wonderful for them, luckily they spent a 1st round pick on LT the year before....huh?

We are completely handcuffed by this LT situation, you can blow smoke about BPA and using all our picks but the bottom line is this team is going to fail if Philip Rivers is on his back 50 times again....and fixing that doesn't start at OG, it starts at OT.
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Yeah good thing, and he was part of their problem protecting Andrew Luck as well, he gave up 11 sacks.
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/players/anthony-castonzo-380470/
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Here's my top 10..

1. KC - Luke Joeckel - KC is high on Joeckel, Brandon Albert might be traded.
    2. JAX - Shariff Floyd - Terrance Knighton gone, need a DT.
    3. OAK - Dion Jordan - OAK needs sacks
    4. PHI - Star Lotulelei - Replacement for Cullen Jenkins.
    5. DET - Dee Milliner - DET needs someone opposite of Chris Houston.
    6. CLE - Ezekiel Ansah - CLE might trade out. I could see Cordarrelle Patterson as well. Need another CB too.
    7. ARI - Chance Warmack - Some reports indicate ARI has no plans to take a potential LOT, but they need interior OL.
    8. BUF - Geno Smith - Obvious pick; one QB on the roster, Tavaris Jackson.
    9. NYJ - Barkevious Mingo - Rex Ryan player, need an OLB.
    10. TENN - Kenny Vaccaro - Need safety help, terribly.

Maybe Fisher falls to us, nobody expected Melvin Ingram to slide 6-8 spots to us last year, so maybe Fisher slides 5-6 spots to us.
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I can't disagree with too much other than I don't see Jordan as a good fit for a 4-3. If Floyd is gone they should take Lotulelei, Milliner, or even Ansah rather than asking Jordan to put his hand on the ground.

I hope Arizona goes Warmack or a QB, that would be ideal for us. Oh and Also, Detroit already signed Deangelo Hall, I think they believe they're set at CB for now.

I think the real problem is Miami. I just don't buy that they're gonna be okay with spending all that money on weapons only to put Tannehill behind an inferior O-line.
  15. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Man i hope the Jets take Mingo. Detroit, i dont know, Backus retired today and they did draft Rheif last year but now they have a hole at one OT spot so could go either way. Id be shocked if Fisher fell to us but estatic at the same time.
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Yes, I think Jordan and Lotulelei can be flip flopped, OAK has a need there at DT too. And Philly, I don't think will pass on Dion Jordan even though they just signed Barwin and have Cole, we obviously know Chip knows Jordan well and is aware what he can do.

I really can't see why Arizona would go OT, Levi Brown had a torn tricep, unfortunate injury, but nonetheless the guy was never injure-prone. And #7 overall to be spent on a ROT? No way. I think they'll upgrade that interior line which was terrible as well, even though OG's in the top 10 is rare, could happen.

Miami could trade up for sure, but let's hope Jeff Ireland is too dumb for that, or possibly, if they see Fisher falling they'll wait on Lane Johnson. Since they filled a good amount of needs through free agency, they could trade those picks away or look to get better, which would be the smart thing to do, and select BPA.

Miami could go CB too, Xavier Rhodes, Desmond Trufant. Also, say all 3 OT's are taken, I would not mind trading all the way back, and if the 49ers don't get the guys they want in FA, with the 15 draft picks they have, moving up to 11 to take a player they really want is a significant jump and one I wouldn't mind cause we most likely will get 3 draft picks out of it. And we can still take Terron Armstead or Menelik Watson. But, that's a long shot.
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Mingo is definitely a Rex Ryan type player, he can be a 10 sack guy in this league, nothing more than that, and the Jets would be happy with that production really.

Detroit is tricky, but, I can't find the link or where I read it or somehow came across it, but I definitely remember reading that there confident putting Corey Hilliard at ROT and sliding Riley Rieff over to LOT. And then eventually address that need later on in the draft. They also have a big need at CB, and a Chris Houston/Dee Milliner pair could do them wonders, because currently, their secondary is very weak.
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Miami has two 2's and two 3's, and this draft is balls deep in CB talent, they don't need Rhodes who I personally am not a huge fan of. He seems like the guy who ends up playing safety.

Also I forgot to mention Detroit signed Deangelo Hall, I think they believe they are set at CB for now. I'd be very surprised to see them go anywhere but LT, they were just talking about moving Reiff to OG last week, they can hardly justify calling him their starting left tackle now. If not LT then a pass rusher to replace Avril, maybe Werner.
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I had one where just to be safe Luke Joeckel went to KC number one, More realistic scenario IMO is they find one of the teams that completely looooooooooooooooves Geno Smith, There's one probably out there. They take Chance Warmack, with Guard being their weakest link on the O line, I honestly don't see them paying their RT 9 million this season. And I see Albert holding out if they try to make him play guard or RT.

I had Jarvis Jones go to Jax. I feel now that reports are saying he never had a spinal contusion issue, I think he starts getting back on everyone's radar.

Shariff Floyd is a Raider, They need a lot of positions, but after losing Desmond Bryant and Richard Seymour, DT is a glaring need.

Star Lotulelei goes to Philly, biggest area of need for them on defense is a 3-4 DE. Need plus BPA hits here perfectly.

Eric Fisher makes more sense to Detroit than any other position, Reiff moves over to OG or stays at RT, Stafford gets his pass protection.

Cleveland I had believe it or not Chance Warmack go to them. My reason's being, the 3 biggest needs for them are QB, OG and CB. There is still a ton of talent in free agency at CB, I believe they trade for Mallett, they get what is said to be best player in this draft.

Arizona gets Geno Smith no explanation needed.

Cordarelle Patterson in the first and Ryan Nassib in the 2nd, is Buffalo's poor man's version of AJ Green and Andy Dalton. Those two will forever be tied to the hip, well unless one of them is terrible and gets cut in 3 years.

This one I hope is Ziggy Ansah I love Ansah's upside and ability, I just see him being better suited to play in a 4-3. Rex Ryan on the other hand doesn't care what system they play. I just see him going "Yeah Baby, we did it, now lets go eat a go#$@^&N snack" I also see them going Dion Jordan.

Kenny Vaccaro to the Titans, they need help back there. I could also see them going with another OG but Safety is a bigger need at the moment.

This one we have options

Lane Johnson, Johnathan Cooper, Dion Jordan
    If we go tackles we better go pass rush in the 2nd. If we go pass rush in the first we better get a LT in the 2nd. Same with OG
  20. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Deangelo Hall signing still hasn't been official.

How about this, Miami making a strong push to re-sign Jake Long. Wow.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I won't be shocked if Miami actually make a reach for Tyler Eifert, but I could also see them coveting Vaccaro if he's there.

Tennessee, it'll be interesting. I think they're in the same boat with Locker that Minnesota is in with Ponder - their GM's realize that they need to show that the QB's they drafted to be franchise players at the position are legit or else it could cost them their jobs. Bud Adams has never been the Al Davis sort where he demands a specific type of offense be run, but he wants them to win, plain and simple. I don't see WR and TE (at least not now with the contract sunk into Delanie Walker) being 1st round pops for them, but guard or center is a distinct possibility. Vaccaro may be the one defensive spot I can see them going, less because of need (this is a pretty deep safety class) but more so because Adams, loves him some UT players (Michael Griffin, Vince Young, Earl Campbell, Bo Scaife, Ahmard Hall).
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Quick mock, I know this is subject to change because of free agency is still on going, but what the hell..

1. Terron Armstead OT - Trade out of 11, pick up a day 2 selection, Armstead could start on at ROT from day 1.
    2. Alex Okafor OLB - Need an OLB, seeing how the class isn't that deep, I expect a day 2 selection here.
    2. Larry Warford OG - Plug-in play, he'll most likely start at OG from day 1.
    3. Montee Ball RB - Has good size to take a work load, got 25+ touches last year 6 times.
    4. Kevin Reddick ILB - Need at ILB, I think a vet will be signed, with Reddick developing to start in the near future.
    5. Kwame Geathers NT - Need to get deeper and younger at this position.
    6. Adrian Bushell CB - Natural talent at the position, could be a serviceable nickel corner.
    7. Braden Brown OT - Reminds me of Nate Potter, will give us depth at the position in the near future.
  23. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking a RB in round 3 but they resigned Brown and signed Woodhead so now i dont think so. Maybe in rounds 4,5,6? If at all? 4th stillmay to high unless a guy like Franklin or Ball slips there. The also have Fozzy Whitaker but im not expecting much from him but who knows. Battle should be let go or be camp fodder at the very least.

Here is a thought...Mathews has 7 career 3rd down catches because he isnt in on 3rd down much and is injury prone. Woodhead and Brown are 3rd down RB's who are good in pass protection, ...Mathews is not. Think they may try to trade him close to or during the draft?
  24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    With what? Their 2014 1st? They're going to need to give up their 2nd to get ahead of us - thing is they don't have their 2nd round pick because it was taken away as penalty due to Bountygate. Also, you're overrating the importance of tackles in the New Orleans scheme - it's why I never wanted any part of Bushrod (he can't set the edge to save his life - and the Saints always compensated for barely adequate tackle play with high-level guards) - plus Brees' quick release makes them look better than they are.

Bucs are paying Donald Penn LOT money, you don't do that and then move the guy to ROT unless you've got a left-handed QB. Also, Johnson's not the dominant run-blocker that Schiano demands for his scheme.
  25. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    I think a lot of us would like to trade down but it seems so few teams are willing to give up picks to move up, even with the new rookie scale.
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Yeah, could be possible.

But, Ronnie Brown is on a 1 year deal. So that tells you what they expect from him, and that's nothing much, and most likely a final cut. Fozzy Whittaker people are making too much of, he'll get his touches in pre-season but will most likely make his was to the practice squad.

Woodhead is here to add an element to our offense. He's not Sproles good, but he's pretty damn good at the little things. He is going to get Ryan Mathews, Edwin Baker, etc. better in the RB room, especially from what he learned in New England.

I think its crucial we take a RB, Woodhead or Brown can't run the ball, their draw guys at best, and if Mathews goes out again we're screwed. Battle is a free agent, he isn't on the team.

I could see the RB's shaping out to be - a 2013 draft selection, Ryan Mathews, Ronnie Brown, and Danny Woodhead. With Edwin Baker and maybe Fozzy Whittaker back on the P.S. squad, and Le'Ron McClain being cut.
  27. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I wasn't aware they still lost their 2nd round selection, I thought after Tagliabue step in and found no clear evidence of the Saints being guilty I thought that selection was given back.

But that's good news I guess with the Saints and Bucs, so we could possibly trade a few picks back and still not worry about them taking a LOT.

But, looks like Dolphins players (Incognito; Pouncey) are all trying to sway Jake Long back to Miami. Once again, news keeps getting better.
  28. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Well it all comes down to team needs, and who's picking where.

For example, the Bengals need safety help, and Kenny Vaccaro will be there. But, so do the Rams, Cowboys, and a few other teams picking ahead of them. Bengals have the 21st, and 35th overall picks, would be a nice trade there.

Also look for San Fran, with those 15 draft picks, look to do something. Nobody drafts 11+ players that's just ludicrous, they might move up significantly to grab a player they can plug in and play right away.
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Cowboys may be a prime trade-up target. They shouldn't be, but Jerruh calls the shots and when he sets sights on a guy he likes, he goes and gets him - and he seems to be convinced that his team is forever "one piece away". This year, by all accounts, the prospect he's got a (pun intended) Jones for is Vaccaro. So Dallas could be a prime trade-up candidate. I think Carolina may yet be a trade-up candidate, though whether it's for a CB (likely Xavier Rhodes) or getting in among whoever from the top tier of DT's falls (be it Floyd, Lotuleilei, or Richardson).

I actually don't expect either of the clubs with multiple 1st's to move up; it's unlike either GM and both clubs aren't in a place where they have the luxury of burning both of two 1st's on the same prospect. That said, I could see St. Louis possible, or more likely Minnesota, burning a 3rd to jump one or two spots in order to land a specific prospect at a position of desire versus waiting to see who is left available when they pick.
  30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    To say "we need to draft a RB" over statement, when in fact we have more depth at that position than most anything else, (not counting WR)

Ryan Mathews, Danny Woodhead, Ronnie Brown, Edwin Baker, Fozzy Whitaker. Sure I only see 3 maybe 4 making the team. I'm sure Whisenhunt loved this kids (Fozzy) potential and saw something he liked, No sense of bringing him over if he didn't. I'm sure He sold Telesco on this kid which Telesco may have seen similar traits as to what Whiz saw, possibly being the reason why he was claimed, Odds are he ends up on PS.

Woodhead will be and most likely remain our number 2 back, If RM were to go down, I don't think Woodhead could or would take all the work load but he wouldn't have to. He could remain in his 3rd down role while Ronnie Brown or Edwin Baker took over on 1st and 2nd.

As mentioned by LBC (I believe) Its possible McCoy and Telsco did not see any RB's this year that truly stood out above the rest opting to bring back Brown.

Maybe Baker could fill in as that missing link, (We have him on our roster, might as well give him a shot before we completely write him off)

As of right now Johnathan Frankilin is my favorite running back in this draft, Am I willing to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on him to be a fill in RB (in case of injury) over a solid CB, OLB, ILB, OG, NT, or OT? Absolutely not!

If we do go RB, odds are it'll be lower tier 5th,6th 7th or UDFA which is fine with me, Guys I like to fill that would be In this order:

RB Dennis Johnson Arkansas 7th-FA

RB Ray Graham Pitt 6th-7th

RB Mike James Miami 7th-FA

Again not the flashiest names but to me RB is like WR a luxury, most important skill they need to have is pass protection.