1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 7, 2013.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    How so is it an over statement? Again, Brown is not a lock in place for 2013. He re-signed to a 1 year deal! He's strictly here to see if he can make the team in 2013.

What do people see in Edwin Baker that also make him a lock in 2013? He's going to be 22 in July, he still is very young and raw, he also had fumbling issues at Michigan State. Fozzy Whittaker? Camp body, possible practice squad addition, we need to fill out the roster..

If Ryan Mathews goes out we have no run game again. Period. That means no effective play action, and Rivers throwing the ball 50 times a game. We need insurance at the position. We need someone to take the load.

The Ravens last year had Ray Rice. Was it necessary for them to take a RB in the 3rd? Or how about the Broncos with Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno was it necessary for them to trade up and take a RB in the 3rd?

Woodhead adds another dimension to this offense, in the passing game. He offers nothing in the run game except quick draw plays. Brown offered nothing in the run game last year. Both Woodhead and Brown are strictly 3rd down backs.

I'm not labeling it a glaring need, but people need to look beyond 2013. We need someone to offer a run game of some sort if Mathews goes down. I think we draft one in the 3rd or 4th round.
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +658 / 17 / -2
    Absolutely it was a need for the Ravens to take a RB in the 3rd, Ray Rice got the FT and was threatening to hold out of training camp unless he got a contract.

Willis Mcgahee (31 ) years old. No Show Moreno was borderline to being cut.

Packers had James Starks as their RB the year they won the SB
    Saints had Pierre Thomas and Colts had a terrible Joseph Addai.

Like I said a good RB is a plus, but also a luxury. Until Ryan Mathews is no longer on our team or out for the season, then yes I'll worry. But Mathews and Woodhead this year with possibly Ronnie Brown sitting on the side lines until needed, is better than most other teams situation at RB. With so many other holes to fill
    ILB (Which we don't have)
    SS (which we don't have, until Taylor is healthy and can prove he is our guy),
    CB (which we don't have until Wright or Gilchrist step it up)
    LT (Assuming what happens with Gaither)
    RT (which we don't have)
    OG (assuming Rinehart plays one spot, then what? who fills in the other or for for depth?)
    NT (we don't have a back up, or a guy to give Cam a breather)
    OLB (outside of Ingram and Johnson, can you really trust English to be our 3rd down pass rusher along with stay healthy?)

That's 8 so far, with many other spots to fill for depth purposes. So IMO Mathews, Woodhead, and Brown are looking pretty good right now.

Would I like another RB?Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! but I'd also like another (or a true number 1) WR. In do time my friend, in do time.
    Here's to hoping Marqise Lee next year:inlove:
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +658 / 17 / -2
    Oregon LB Kiko Alonso spent extensive time with five teams, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.
    Alonso had dinner with the Miami Dolphins, breakfast with the Arizona Cardinals then interviewed "extensively" with the San Diego Chargers, New Orleans Saints and Tampa Bay Bucs, per Pauline.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    When I do another mock soon I think Alonso will definitely be included, where I dunno yet.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    • Ravens said multiple times last year they didn't believe Ray Rice was holding out and they would reach a deal. He had fumbling issues, and it showed this year in the playoffs and Super Bowl, and Bernard Pierce came in for him. The NFL is a 2 back league. For the Chargers case its a 3 back league.
    • McGahee was 30 when they drafted Hillman, and also highly doubt they were going to cut Moreno because he had a season ending injury, and they cost him the 12th overall pick. 2009 & 2010 he had good years, not great but good.
    • When the Colts won it, it was Addai's career year and rookie year. He averaged nearly 5 YPC. When the Saints won it Pierre Thomas had 700+ yards on the ground splitting time with Reggie Bush, who caught 47 passes.
    • Packers, I have no answer for. They went on one of the best Super Bowl runs in NFL history.
    And until Ryan Mathews isn't on the team.. okay, so we're letting another RB walk now. Why? So we can reach at a RB in the 1st round again trying to fill the void of LT still? Those were big shoes to fill for him, and he's been unlucky with injuries. Hopefully with this new regime, he excels. I see a very capable back, we all saw in 2011.

Hey opinions will be opinions, I just like a good sports argument, so no hard feelings.

But Telesco said he likes Stuckey and Taylor. Also, the corner and safety market is pretty deep, we can still come away with a vet. It's only day 5 of free agency, its a process. Shareece Wright or Marcus Gilchrist, one will be a starter in 2013.
  6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit for the 9ers to pull a NE move, and trade some picks that ends up getting then an extra 1st next year
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +658 / 17 / -2

:tdown: I don't know maybe the Ravens drafted Bernard Pierce because they truly had no one in place behind Ray Rice. Maybe they didn't have as many holes to fill, and were only one or two players away from a SB run where they could pick RB. Maybe they weren't in a 1 or 2 year rebuild mode where they aren't exactly calling it a rebuild.

Many RB's don't have much tread left on the tires after 30, Moreno had only good year, after that had multiple knee issues, got a D.U.I., and certainly weren't Elway or Fox's guy. 4 years later if you're a 12th overall pick and your roster spot is behind a 30 year old RB, a Rookie, a career PS guy. Odds are your not going to have a long career.

Why can't we have something similar but RM runs for 900+ on the ground and Woodhead catches 60 REC

Until RM isn't on the team meaning...............once he isn't on the team, he chooses to leave FA, retires, ETC.

Not saying I don't want a RB, Im just not counting on one either. I just think we should use any picks we do have on spots that we barely have any depth at.
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +885 / 15 / -1
    That's hyperbole. Hell, as is we haven't had much of a running game even with Mathews healthy. A good OL makes an average RB look good (particularly zone-blocking schemes). It's the same as a good pass-rush and safety tandem makes average corners look good. The Redskins plugged a 6th round pick rookie behind a quality (even when injured) OL and the guy averaged 4.8 YPC and totaled over 1600 yards on the season - this is a guy that ran a 4.67s 40 yard dash. With the ever growing supply of RB's in the draft and in the league, the considerably sounder approach is bolstering your OL and not worrying about the back your'e plugging in back there until your OL is set.

The Ravens are and have always been, under John Harbaugh, a two-back team - even when they had a stud runner. The Broncos were fleshing out "Peyton's scheme", they didn't have a back on the roster to that point that could run Peyton's token "stretch play" that he and Addai made a staple of that offense.

Yes, because our OL was effective in run-blocking last year, right? Because any back should be able to produce behind sub-par run-blocking when teams know the play (Norv's HB Draws and A-Gap runs on 2nd and anything over 4 to go could be counted on like clockwork).

I am and I do. The RB talent pool is incredibly saturated, so much so that unless you're getting a star-quality runner with elite upside (and that's really more of luxury pick), spending early picks on RB's is kind of pointless. More and more redshirt sophomore are declaring every year. The number of eligible junior RB's that declare has significantly increased and continues to increase every year - because they realize they have a limited shelf-life and might as well get paid for it while they can. The saturated pool of rookies only further saturates the free agent RB market, reflexively.
  9. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    And yet Mathews still ran for 700 yards in 2012, and only playing in 12 games.. And Norv abandoned the run whenever the kid was on fire. For example, in 2011, He had a 3 game stretch in where he had 55 attempts and 363 yards, averaging 6.6 YPC.

I hate the Alfred Morris comparison. Teams were worried with RG3 and his 4.3 speed in that option. Some of Morris' biggest gains came from that option read hand off.

Again, I don't care if we take a RB in the 3rd or 4th. I really believe we will, there's deep talent at the position, and Montee Ball and others have a lot of upside.
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +885 / 15 / -1
    Sorry, but you're losing credibility quickly. Montee Ball doesn't have upside. He's pretty much met his ceiling at this point and he's got more wear on his tires than just about any other RB in this class - and more than some of the mid-round rookies drafted last year even when you add on the carries they got in the NFL this year.
  11. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Wow, you are right. I just looked at his numbers, 924 carries in 4 years at Wisconsin. Holy ****, I didn't think he was used that often! Average 231 carries a year.

But the production, 5,000+ yards, 77 TD's, 5.6 YPC, pretty amazing stuff, but he does have a lot of wear.
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    Reminds me a lot of Frank Gore.
  13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,346 / 19 / -3
    Here's my latest attempt

1. Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
    He's been punched in here since Fischer went crazy at senior bowl. If he's there he's the pick.
    2. Larry Warford OG Kentucky
    Combined with Johnson and Rhinehart the OL is looking better
    3. Jordan Poyer CB Oregon St
    Personal favorite, he's a fantastic ballhawk and can challenge and push Wright
    4. Kiko Alonso ILB Oregon
    Big athletic thumper to replace our precious thumper.
    5. Marcus Lattimore RB South Carolina
    If he falls this far I'd take a shot. Nothing to lose especially given Mathews problems
    6. Kwamie Gathers NT Georgia
    Questionable decision to come out works in favor. Has the size and talent but must be coached thoroughly.
    7. Oday Aboushidi OT Virginia
    Think he will drop far after poor senior bowl and combine showing. Worst he's a swing tackle who could play inside. Best he could be a starting right tackle.
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    Id love that to happen but it is hard to imagine. Buffalo will be screwed if they pick Barkley at #8...lol . It will be Buddy Nix demise.
  16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +658 / 17 / -2
    Many teams are considering Menelik Watson to be a 1st round pick
  17. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +190 / 6 / -3
    Aboushi is a wasted pick, even in the 7th. No fire.
  18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,346 / 19 / -3
    Didn't think of anyone else that could fit in that spot so I threw him in.
  19. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +190 / 6 / -3
    Then I forgive you.

Seriously though - he has the size, decent footwork, but just doesn't seem to care that much about competing.
  20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,346 / 19 / -3
    I'm bored so I'll throw one out with a surprising LT pickup, and no OL in the first round.

1. Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia
    Two years in a row OLBs from the SEC. If Louteilei is here I might consider him but we already have three impressive young guns there already. I could consider Cooper or Warmack but I don't see us going guard this early unless all LTs are taken. Considering how poor we were AGAIN on 3rd downs, I want to get the best group of pass rushers I can on the field simultaneously. And I'll taken proven (Jones) over potential (Ansah)
    2. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama
    If you are serious that Mathews needs competition, bring Lacy in. No I don't take seriously his injury in the off-season. He's the best all around back and though he's more Mark Ingram than Richardson, he's got alot more elusiveness than Ingram.
    3. Barrett Jones OT Alabama
    Did you forget he was all-SEC in 2011 at Left Tackle? He's a picture perfect technician with the mindset and ability to play left tackle in any scheme. If Trent Richardson could run behind him, and did very well in 2011, I'll take him happily to rebuild our OL.
    4. Leon McFadden CB SDSU
    I break up the SEC love fest with an Aztec defensive back. I'm going smaller than our previous corners but I love his ball hawking and his physical skill set. I don't think he's a #1, but he could easily be a #2 and provide some depth if/when? Derek Cox gets injured.
    5. Brennan Williams OT North Carolina
    And just like that I'm back in the South, though this time in the ACC. If Williams checks out healthy before the draft he's probably a day 2 pick. If there's questions about his health or if it'll take him a little more time, watch him fall like a stone. I personally love the player and think he's a fantastic mauler at right tackle, so I will take him on and, at worst, give him a red shirt year.
    6. Gerald Hodges LB Penn State
    Just an all around fantastic linebacker with the production to match. Nothing to hate about his game or his talent and he is a player who at the minimum can push Mouton for his job and his roster spot.
    7. Colby Cameron QB Louisiana Tech
    Just in case it really is Rivers and not just his offensive line. Love his intangibles including his determination, and the physical attributes aren't too bad either.
  21. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    I have questions for Eddy Lacy. I'm not his biggest fan. He gets banged up at the college level, never mind the NFL. And he did has fumbling issues, sounds familiar doesn't it?

Barrett Jones scares me. He can either be crazy good, or be a journeyman across the OL, with teams not knowing where he belongs. I think it's clearly center for him. Plus, he had that Lisfranc injury, which tore 2 ligaments in his foot. We also know about Lisfranc's here in San Diego don't we?
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    I think the draft will look like this,

1. KC - Luke Joeckel OT
    2. JAX - Ezekiel Ansah DE
    3. OAK - Shariff Floyd DT
    4. PHI - Dion Jordan OLB
    5. DET - Barkevious Mingo DE
    6. CLE - Dee Milliner CB
    7. ARI - Eric Fisher OT
    8. BUF - Geno Smith QB
    9. MIA - Lane Johnson OT
    10. TEN - Jonathan Cooper OG

I think Miami for sure trades up now. NYJ need players, and they won't mind moving 2 picks back to gain a 2nd rounder. Plus, Jarvis Jones will be there still as well.

I think we take a trade back, possibly with the Cowboys, and Jerry Jones' profound love for Kenny Vaccaro at 11, and will take him, giving us the #18 overall pick, and pick #47 in the 2nd round.

And at 18, either Star Lotulelei will fall this far or Sheldon Richardson, Jonathan Hankins will be here. Then we can take OT Menelik Watson at 45 and OG Larry Warford at 47 to sure up the OL need. So..

1. Star Lotulelei, Sheldon Richardson, or Jonathan Hankins NT/DE
    2. Menelik Watson OT
    2. Larry Warford OG
    3. Jamie Collins OLB
    4. Le'Veon Bell RB
    5. Gerald Hodges ILB
    6. Zac Dysert QB
    7. Jake Stoneburner TE/H-back

Just some thoughts..
  23. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    I could see why, many are comparing him to Michael Oher in terms of raw ability. But, I can't see a team taking him in the 1st round just because he compares to him. I see someone taking Terron Armstead way before Watson. Armstead will go anywhere from 20-32. I can't see him making it out of the 1st round.
  24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +658 / 17 / -2
    Just one outside of the rest

Jarvis Jones OLB, Georgia
    Minus the Spinal chord issue Jones has the talent to be considered a top 5. Reports saying his health is a non issue, he may still slide a bit. Ingram had struggles in his rookie season, and hopefully can recover like Liuget did in his Sophomore year.

Terron Armstead OT, Arkansas Pine Bluff
    We all know Rivers getting protection is number one, But Until I see what they do at both Tackle spots (release) It may not be necessary to use a 1st on a Tackle if we decide to keep Gaither. They brought over Dunlap in FA for what my thinking may be either competition for Clary (which may very well be), or as insurance "doing it right" If Gaither gets hurt. Having Armstead on the roster allows us to develop and also see if he can later replace Gaither or Clary.

Jon Bostic ILB, Florida
    Arguably one of our most important needs on defense. With the loss of Takeo Spikes we lose a Leader, and a solid Run stopper. As one of the top ranked run stuffing ILB's Bostic would fill the need for a run stopper, could maybe one day take up the leader role, Im not familiar with his character.

Cornelius Washington OLB/DE Georgia
    I don't believe Washington will be around in the fourth, but if he is WE MUST POUNCE!!!!!!
    With Players like Jones, Jenkins, Ogletree etc. coming out of Georgia, Washington may be overlooked. Having Ingram, Jones, Johnson and Washington, we could possibly have the top pass rushers in the league.

Alvin Bailey OG Arkansas
    Outside of Rinehart, we literally have no OG's. Luckily for us, OG's can be found all over the draft.

BPA Depth

BPA Depth
  25. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    I swear to you I will puke if this happens. If we draft anything other than a dire need in the first round I'm going to be sick.

If we are looking for a guy to give a Cam a breather we can grab a body in the later rounds. We need an OT, or OG in the first. I would go OLB/CB before I went NT. I don't care which one it is but if we spend a top notch pick on a guy who will be used sparingly I am going to throw up.
  26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +658 / 17 / -2
    Not to mention spending another top pick on a D Line player, who I think may be suited as a 4-3 DT
  27. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    I agree with that. Im also not big on drafting a QB that low. Never have been. We can find 3rd string QB's anywhere. They are a dime a dozen.
  28. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +190 / 6 / -3
    And I really don't want any part of Watson. I have zero trust in his long-term commitment to football.
  29. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +63 / 10 / -2
    How about this quick mock
    1. Star loutuleti nt utah
    2. Robert woods.wr usc.
    3. Marcus lattimore rb sc
    4.xavier nixon ot florida
    5.hugh thornton og ill
    6.john lotuleti olb
    7.marcus cromartie cb