1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

My Draft Gems

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Mar 29, 2012.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    Whats up im bringing you, my draft gems after studying games during the games during the offseason. lets get started

Andre Branch de/olb Clemson. Kid is not worth a 1st round look like alot of mocks have him, i currently have him as a mid second round grade. He has great tangibles for the posistion, good sspeed and inital burst off the line. Can sometimes struggle putting pressure on the Qb, but is a very consistent run stopper.

Alshon Jeffery Wr South Carolina. Alright i know, i know hes slow and doesnt look in shape right? yea very true. he benefited from a great running game, but jeffery in my mind is no doubt a great value pick in the 2nd or 3rd round. he has great size and leaping ability. but he does struggle with seperation.

Josh Norman Cb coastal carolina. 6ft 2 long arms and can lay the boom when needed. he didnt run the fastest 40 time. 4.62 but if we transitioned him to safety he would be head over hills better than what we have now. throughout his collegiate career he made big plays.

Doug martin rb boise state. He is the poor mans ray rice in this draft but is the second best back in this draft besides trent richardson. he shows great footwork and vision for a big back. he could be a new tolbert.

Fletcher Cox Dt Miss state. Alright is it just me or does this dude have motor from hell. every tape i watched he was consistently putting pressure on the qb. and pushin the pile. granted hes built for the 4-3 given the right packages he would be a great end for us

nick perry old/de USC. So theres been alot of talk about him since he annouced. but the more i watch the more i think hes the best olb in this draft he shows that hes hungry for the sack. hungry for the ball. and wants to win. any player with that mentally is a winner in my book.

vontaze burfict ILB Arizona state. Ok folks enough with the gay jokes...this kid had a horrible combine, and has character concerns, but with all that put together he'll be a 7th round or udfa and would be well worth the pick up. dude is physical as hell, hes a horse with no rider, give hima good trainer and he will be a force.
  2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Vontaze Burfict is, literally, the Ryan Leaf of ILB's (yes, he hasn't had Leaf's drug-bust yet, but Burfict's young and displayed a good deal of immaturity and lack of care for set rules, so I'm not ruling out the possibility down the line). I would think as the team that had the unique displeasure of having to deal with the actual Leaf, we'd be one of the most likely to shy away from his linebacker-corollary.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    See, this is what i dont get with the hype around him. I have friends who played on the ASU team and was in the same class as him, and he's never in his life smoked, and rarely if ever drinks (or at least this is from a year ago when he was still on the team). He's a genuinly nice guy off the field. The coach lost control of that team, and nobody had any respect for him, even the QB refused to come off the field when he tried to put the punt team on the field on one down. He's not a bad kid in the slightest. He needs to get his head on strait. Maybe he's lazy, unmotivated, but i get kinda pissed off when people start hinting at drugs, and big character concerns like that, when he's nothing like that (or at least according to my friend). I still think that if we are able to pair him up with a guy like Takeo Spikes, and get his work ethic and mindset right, he's an elite player in this league. In the 6th/7th round, IMO, no doubt he's worth the gamble...
  4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I couldn't read your post because it was devoid of proper capitalization, proper punctuation, or sorting of any variety (whether based on round, position, or side of field, it would have been nice). I literally read through your post, and had no idea what you had intended for me to garner from it.

Also, it might be helpful, after you put some formatting into your post, to link some tape illustrating your points.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I never hinted at drugs, I've hinted at the numerous reports that I've read about the guy just up and deciding to walk out of team and position meetings because he "just felt like it". I've hinted at several recountings I've read from his own professors who said he just stopped coming to class because he didn't feel he needed to. Now, those in themselves were just minor flags, but when you look at the guy leading up to the draft thus far they seem to become more prevalent because all it seems the guy has done is come in poorly prepared... then come in again poorly prepared... repeat ad nauseum.

You want a guy I think Burfict is really a lot like, and this one will hit home with you D-Man, as far as personality and mindset towards the game I don't think he's that far different from LaGarrette Blount. I love the hell out of TKO, but I'm not sure he's quite the "You cross me and I'll bury you, pissant!" kind of guy that it's going to take to put Burfict in his place and get him to toe the line. Literally, Vontaze needs a big brother, someone whose going to keep driving him, where no matter how good he does his accomplishments are downplayed, and someone whose going to likely have to be both slave-driver and nursemaid, not unlike how Steve McNair was with Vince Young.

But it's not all attitude as to why I don't like Burfict as a prospect. His instincts don't exist - he coasts on athleticism and attitude. And instincts aren't something you can teach, without which there is no elite upside no matter how athletic a guy is. Look at Gholston - athleticism out the wazoo, but terrible instincts and lack of work ethic turned him into a massive train wreck of a bust - and he would have been a train wreck of a bust even if he was only a 7th round pick... just probably would have been cut a helluvalot soon than he actually was.
  6. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    i agree that while yes burfict coasts on his athleticism, he is trainable, and he is a physical monster. I would take him in the 7th with out a blink of the eye. Does he have phenomenal instincts ? no but he does have will when he plays. i think he could be a good run defender and a knock out hitter. IF we can get some one to mentor him, he could be a ray lewis. Remember when ray came out all the same was said about Ray. Now not everybody will pan out like ray. but its wroth the gamble
  7. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    I took the part where you said "(yes, he hasn't had Leaf's drug-bust yet, but Burfict's young and displayed a good deal of immaturity and lack of care for set rules, so I'm not ruling out the possibility down the line)" as hinting at drugs. Did i misunderstand you, cuz the way it was written, it seems that you are hinting that he is a candidate to where he could have a drug bust in the future.

I disagree with some of you're post, but get where you're coming from. He really does need a big brother, but i dont think he needs a babysitter. He needs a motivator, to get his work ethic where it needs to be. And thats what Spikes is. He's not a Ray Lewis type where he'll smack you around if you're not doing it right, but he's a great motivator and is a guy who is very able to pair up with someone and get his head on strait.

I dont think that his instincts are as bad as you hint to , but they are not good. Definitely below average instincts, but you see flashes where he goes makes the right read and is able to perfectly attack the play. So you do see flashes of instincts, but he goes to crazy on the field and can mess up his assignment.

My biggest concern with him, other than the work ethic issues, is his ability to understand a playbook. Even at ASU, he HEAVILY relied on Marshall (forget his first name, one of the OLB's that he played in HS with) to help get him lined up and in the right place and all that stuff, and apparently, that is why he struggled this year a lot, because he was having trouble reading things and getting set up right without his bud playing next to him. Thats a BIG concern for me...