1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

My "I want the Bolts to draft a DT" thread

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by wrbanwal, Apr 5, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0
    http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2008DT.php

I chose this mock/ranking site cause its got "Walter" in the name and that's my first name!!!

# Glenn Dorsey, LSU
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 297.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.12.
    Combine 40 Time: Did not run.
    Pro Day 40 Time: 5.14.
    Benchx225: 27. Vertical 25.5.
    Projected Round: Top 5 Pick.
    After seeing Glenn Dorsey work out for a chance, the perception has changed a bit in Dorsey's favor. He'll likely be chosen in the top five, but he's not a top-two candidate like he was prior to the combine.

Dorsey did not work out. In fact, he was rushed to the hospital so doctors could perform tests on his knees. This isn't anything new. This didn't just happen. Dorsey has had knee problems the past two years. I know he managed to play through the pain, but who's to say his knees won't get any worse? If you're a team in the top five, and you're thinking about taking Dorsey, and two or three other prospects, the former's knees will probably be the tie-breaker. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dorsey dropped all the way down to No. 9.

# Sedrick Ellis, USC
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 309.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.83.
    Combine 40 Time: 5.24.
    Benchx225: 34. Vertical 26.5.
    Projected Round: Top 10 Pick.
    I was shocked that Sedrick Ellis didn't follow up his incredible Senior Bowl with a stellar combine. A 5.24 in the 40? What's that about? At least he didn't fall too far behind Glenn Dorsey, whose knees are probably going to shatter any day now.

Ellis was a man amongst boys at the Senior Bowl, effortlessly pushing the opposing offensive line around as if they were small children. Ellis was simply unblockable. It wouldn't surprise me if the Dolphins or Rams took him first or second.

Ellis has dominated the Senior Bowl practices and has established himself as a top-five pick.

A very quick defensive tackle who loves getting to the quarterback. Had 4.5 sacks in each of the previous two seasons.

# Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 308.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.96.
    Combine 40 Time: 5.28.
    Benchx225: 33. Vertical 29.
    Projected Round: 1-2.
    No one expected Kentwan Balmer to run a 4.7 or anything, but he should have done better than a 5.28. Still, his bench numbers showed what he's best at - mauling opposing offensive linemen.

Kentwan Balmer has emerged as one of the top tacklers in college football. Perfect for either the 3-4 or 4-3.

Started just eight games in 2006.

# Pat Sims, Auburn
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 310.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.92.
    Combine 40 Time: 5.06.
    Benchx225: 20. Vertical 30.5.
    Projected Round: 1-2.
    I don't get how Pat Sims benched 225 pounds only 20 times. I know that doesn't mean everything, especially with his quick 40 time, but it could hinder his shot at going in the first round.

Any 315-pound defensive tackle who runs close to a 4.8 will get drafted. Sims didn't start any games as a freshman or a sophomore, but has really established himself as a dominant force this year.

I like :yes:
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0
  3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    I'd love to see a DT drafted as well. I like Pat Sims a lot, but there may be a better player at another position of need available when we pick at #27, so I wouldn't be disappointed if we go another way. OT maybe?
  4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0
    And another from

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2008/02/06/2008-nfl-draft-defensive-tackles/

Glenn Dorsey
    Yesterday, I examined the defensive ends that are eligible for the 2008 NFL Draft. Today, I examine the defensive tackles that are expected to be eligible for the draft. Below, you will find the player’s name, school, brief narrative about the player and the team expected to draft him. Here we go:

1. Glenn Dorsey, LSU
    Comes off the line very quickly and is able to penetrate the backfield. Has the bulk (6′2″, 299), strength and aggresiveness to play the run, as well. Downside for Dorsey - height may be an issue; a good run stopper, but can be driven off the ball at times.

Team expected to draft him: St. Louis Rams (1st round)

2. Sedrick Ellis, USC
    Has an excellent first step. Above-average pass rusher with the burst. Has good speed for his size (4.95 40). Is capable of shedding blocks and beating double teams. He is technically sound; has great intangibles. Downside for Ellis - his height/bulk (6′1″, 285) hurts his durability. Is limited schematically, meaning he won’t be a perfect fit for every team.

Team likely to draft him: New York Jets (1st round)

3. Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina
    Good size with large frame (6′5″, 295). Extremely strong and very athletic. Has good speed and quicks (5.05 40). Can hold his ground at point of attack. Lots of upside. Downside for Balmer - Is inconsistent. Has difficulty shedding blocks. Slow to read and react. Poor leverage technique at times. The team that drafts him could draft him as either a DT or DE. Very talented but risky prospect.

Team likely to draft him: New Orleans (2nd round)

4. Pat Sims, Auburn
    Has versatility, can fit in either the 3-4 or 4-3. Has the strength to stand up blockers and fill the running lanes. Has excellent leverage. Is OK rushing the QB, but should get better. Good size (6′4″, 314) and motor. Downside for Sims - Needs to improve his footwork. Not fast (4.98 40) but has the quicks.

Team likely to draft him: Denver (2nd round)

5. Marcus Harrison, Arkansas
    Quick with a good burst. Stout at the point and does a great job vs. the run. Excellent leverage. Can probably play DT or DE at the NFL level depending on which team drafts him. Downside for Harrison - Not much of a pass rusher. Character issues need to be addressed. Durability and injuries an issue.

Team likely to draft him: Atlanta (3rd round)

6. Frank Okam, Texas
    Dude is huge (6′5″, 320). Best suited vs. the run, but is good vs. the pass, as well. Gets into the backfield regularly. Downside for Okam - Consistency and production could improve. Work ethic questionable. Has upside despite the negatives.

Team likely to draft him: Kansas City (2nd round)
  5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0
  6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0
    and,

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=15894

Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 08/12/07: #12 DT, #126/750 Overall, Projected: 4
    2007: Named the Notre Dame Monogram Club Most Valuable Player and received the Notre Dame Club of St. Joseph Valley Rockne Student-Athlete Award…Academic All-American second-team and Academic All-District V first-team choice by ESPN/CoSIDA…Served as one of four team captains, earning Irish Most Valuable Player honors…Led the team with a career-high 112 tackles (53 solos), as he was the only down lineman in the major college ranks to post 100 or more tackles during the 2007 season…Led the Irish with four sacks for minus 31 yards, eight stops for losses of 44 yards and seven quarterback pressures…Recovered two fumbles and deflected five passes…Also blocked three kicks while starting all twelve games at left defensive tackle in the team's new 3-4 defensive alignment. 13 GP; 13 GS; 62 TT, 9.5 TFL, 3.5 SK, 1 INT, 1 PBU, 2 QBH, 1 FF, 1 BLK in '06. 12 GP; 12 GS; 33 TT, 3 TFL, 1.5 SK, 1 PBU, 3 QBH, 2 BLK in '05. 12 GP; 0 GS; 17 TT, 2 TFL, 1 SK, 2 PBU, 1 FF in '04. Sat out the '03 season with an injury.
  7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    I fear Sims is going to be like Robert Meachem in that Meachem didnt come on till his junior year and then had a great season because it took him time to adjust to college.
    Sims didnt do much , even less than Meachem till last year and it may take him a while to adjust to the NFL as well. Maybe the NFLwill be too much for him to overcome.

I just dont like one year wonders much. Red flag for me. He was a good player last season and he will go 2nd round imo but let somebody else take the risk with him.

Just my opinion.
  8. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    He could be.........once he gets acclimated to the NFL. I just fear he is going to be slow to develope.....especially going to a 3-4.
  9. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    I suppose, i just dont have much confidence with him for our team. Never know tho. If AJ drafts him, im good with it because in AJ i trust!
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Laws played some great ball at ND - wouldn't be sorry to see him here. I also like Balmer. He responded well to a new coaching staff. He's big, athletic, & has the frame to get bigger.
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Being a VT fan, I watch quite a bit of ACC ball & was impressed with the year that Balmer had in his last year at UNC. Some coaching changes led to him getting more starting time & he really responded. While I still think that the OL is a higher priority for us, Balmer has a lot of potential.

I may check out your stuff at LLV - just a little leery of even going on the site!! :lol:
  12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0
    just make sure you wear a raincoat!

:lol:
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    What's splattering over there? I need to know which weight to wear. Also, should I include waders?? :icon_rofl:
  14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0
    I haven't been back, yet.

waders for sure though!!

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Thanks for the tip!!! :lol:
  16. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0

me too....
  17. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Agreed Pat Sim's is a monster!
    :tup:
  18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +386 / 6 / -0
    90% of the threads are started by Leisure or MTL :icon_eek:, I needed to login to read the posts (which I didn't bother doing) I'd guess they go something like this

MTL : we should draft (insert name of unknown player from unknown division III school)
    leisure : I agree little budy
    • Like Like x 1
  19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0
    Draft's top defensive tackles

Draft's top defensive tackles

I don't know if this guy knows shiit but its a pretty good read

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d807c26f8&template=with-video&confirm=true&campaign=ec0005

Top defensive tackles in 2008 NFL Draft:

1. Sedrick Ellis, Southern California

Height: 6-0 Weight: 309
    College stats: 36 starts, 144 tackles, 28.5 tackles for loss, 17.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles
    Vital numbers: 5.0 40-yard dash, 4.73 short shuttle, 36 reps on the bench

Most teams have Dorsey as the top defensive tackle and I have no problem with that but Ellis is my choice because of his non stop motor and he has been healthier. I still haven't seen a bench press test result for Dorsey not that it's the most important test the players take but I do know how strong Ellis is with his 36 reps on the test. Sedrick's performance at the Senior Bowl when he dominated every guard and center for the week of practice was all I had to see to make my decision. Draft projection: Round 1.

2. Glenn Dorsey, LSU

Height: 6-1 Weight: 297
    College stats: 31 starts, 157 tackles, 29 tackles for loss, 13 sacks, 1 forced fumble
    Vital numbers: 5.12 40-yard dash, 4.80 short shuttle, no recorded bench score

Dorsey is an excellent prospect who will be selected in one of the top four spots in this draft. He has Warren Sapp's first-step quickness, long arms and an ability to be disruptive inside especially in a 4-3 defense as a three technique. He played through injuries at a high level and when he was healthy was unblockable. Draft projection: Round 1.

3. Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina

Height: 6-4 Weight: 308
    College stats: 22 starts, 92 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, 0 forced fumbles
    Vital numbers: 5.11 40-yard dash, 4.80 short shuttle, 33 reps on the bench

There are varied opinions on Balmer. Some see him as a low motor underachiever more often than not and others see him as a dancing bear inside who can be disruptive. He is big, strong and could fit in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme. The game tapes make him look more like a two gap candidate as a DE in a 3-4 defense. He's only a one year true starter and when you realize he never forced a fumble, recovered a fumble and has limited sacks in his career its easy to see a motor that doesn't always run hot. Draft projection: Rounds 1-2.

4. Trevor Laws, Notre Dame

Height: 6-0 Weight: 304
    College stats: 37 starts, 224 tackles, 22.5 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, 2 forced fumbles
    Vital numbers: 5.13 40-yard dash, 4.49 short shuttle, 35 reps on the bench

I was impressed with Laws at the Senior Bowl practices. He has a motor, he has a knack to recover and make a play and he reads blocking schemes very well. He is a much better fit in a 4-3 one gap scheme especially on first and second downs. He would be an excellent third tackle in a rotation. A 4-3 team may have him graded higher than Balmer and would be a nice fit in Chicago, the Giants, or Indianapolis. In a 3-4 defense he would disappear like Dewayne Robertson did for the Jets. Draft projection: Round 2.

5. Pat Sims, Auburn

Height: 6-2 Weight: 301
    College stats: 12 starts, 53 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles
    Vital numbers: 5.09 40-yard dash, 4.80 short shuttle, 20 reps on the bench

Sims is a good athlete, but the 20 reps on the bench are not very good. He relies on his natural skills and is only a one-year starter. He needed to stay in school for another year and mature as a player and a person. It's a lean year for tackles and he will get drafted higher than he should based on what I watched on film. He needs to be in a one gap scheme and always stunting to survive in the NFL. He does not have the power or technique to survive otherwise. A guard such as Alan Fanaca could do a lot of damage to Sims early in his career. Draft projection: Round 2.

6. Dre Moore, Maryland

Height: 6-4 Weight: 305
    College stats: 26 starts, 140 tackles, 21.5 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles
    Vital numbers: 4.84 40-yard dash, 4.55 short shuttle, 31 reps on the bench

Moore moves well for a big man and could fit in a 3-4 as well as a 4-3 scheme. He looked more impressive in drills at the Senior Bowl than he did in the team period. His first move is more conducive to a two gap scheme than a penetrator. His measurables suggest he can really run but his play speed suggests it doesn't transfer yet. He's another guy that doesn't pass many of his own players in pursuit of plays away. He may never be more than a rotation player unless the light goes on about how hard the game has to be played snap to whistle. Draft projection: Rounds 2-3.

7. Red Bryant, Texas A&M

Height: 6-4 Weight: 318
    College stats: 42 starts, 127 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble
    Vital numbers: 4.88 40-yard dash, 4.64 short shuttle, 20 reps on the bench

At the Senior Bowl, he looked like he had a chance to be a space eater in the 3-4 defense on the nose. He plays stronger than his poor bench press test result, but he still needs to live in the weight room. There are defensive backs and receivers who throw up 225 pounds more than he does. He has the arm length and quickness to combine one gap penetration with two gap technique. He could line up at any of the 3-4 defensive line spots and at both inside spots in a 4-3 package. His speed suggests he can rush the passer but the film says otherwise. 2007 was a comeback season from an ACL injury and his best football could be ahead of him. Draft projection: Rounds 3-4.

8. Ahtyha Rubin, Iowa

Height: 6-2 Weight: 315
    College stats: 20 starts, 76 tackles, 8 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble
    Vital numbers: 5.29 40-yard dash, 35 reps on the bench

Some believe he is a 3-4 nose tackle candidate, but his height isn't ideal and he doesn't take on double teams the way NFL 3-4 nose tackles have to every Sunday. A junior college kid who originally was an offensive lineman. I could see him as a backup to Jamal Williams in San Diego, but struggle to see him as the man who sets the 3-4 defense in motion commanding a double team. Draft projection: Round 4.

9. DeMario Pressley, N.C. State

Height: 6-3 Weight: 301
    College stats: 32 starts, 140 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles
    Vital numbers: 5.09 40-yard dash, 4.47 short shuttle, 28 reps on the bench

Pressley is another guy that doesn't go hard all the time and will probably fit as a rotation tackle in a 4-3 scheme. He has an injury history, limited pass rush skills, and may have a very hard time when pro coaching gets in his face. Draft projection: Round 4.

10. Carlton Powell, Virginia Tech

Height: 6-2 Weight: 292
    College stats: 32 starts, 107 tackles, 21 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble
    Vital numbers: 5.00 40-yard dash, 4.62 short shuttle, 23 reps on the bench

Powell gives decent effort and has to be in a one gap front. The Tampa scheme where movement and stunting happens all the time is his best chance to make a team. His strength is a concern and he may never be more than a backup. Draft projection: Round 5.

11. Jason Jones, Eastern Michigan

Height: 6-5 Weight: 273
    College stats: 36 starts, 174 tackles, 50 tackles for loss, 14 sacks, 3 forced fumbles
    Vital numbers: 4.78 40-yard dash, 4.32 short shuttle, 18 reps on the bench

Jones probably has more upside than half the tackles ahead of him. He needs to develop more upper body strength but he has the lower body strength, the height and the speed to be an interesting prospect at most of the defensive line spots in all the schemes. He struggled at the bowl practices but the talent is there. He could go a lot higher in the draft and is visiting a lot more teams than most of the tackles ahead of him. Draft projection: Rounds 4-5 (but don't be surprised if he goes in the third round).

12. Andre Fluellen, Florida State

Height: 6-1 Weight: 296
    College stats: 30 starts, 81 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, 0 forced fumbles
    Vital numbers: 5.0 40-yard dash, 4.45 short shuttle, 28 reps on the bench

He has talent and played through injury most of his career and could make it as a back up if he can stay healthy. A one gap front is his only chance. Draft projection: Round 6.

13. Kendall Langford, Hampton

Height: 6-6 Weight: 287
    College stats: 38 starts, 236 tackles, 56 tackles for loss, 24.5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles
    Vital numbers: 4.95 40-yard dash, 4.69 short shuttle, 24 reps on the bench

Rare height/weight and college production. He will be higher on some draft boards as a defensive end in either scheme but one defensive line coach told me he likes him as an inside player. His production at a lower level of football was good but it could have even been better if he learned to disengage better from blocks. Draft projection: Round 6.
  20. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +323 / 3 / -0
    Pat Sims will bust
    Jason Jones is a player
    Balmer will never live up to a #3 ranking like that

I called Ellis a better player than Dorsey during college season and have stuck to it since.

Jason Jones could eventually provide us an upgrade at one of the 3-4 DE spots. This draft is severely lacking in quality 3-4 defensive ends.

Merling
    Balmer
    Jones
    Campbell
    Langford
    Dykes
    Dixon

Then you have guys who potentially could shift outside like

Laws
    Moore
    Sims
    Pressley

but who project much better inside.

The only player with the potential to be an elite 3-4 DE is Merling. Long won't be drafted so high to play this position. Calais Campbell has the potential to surprise a couple of years down the road if he commits himself to football. Balmer will be able to start at 3-4 DE but will never be an impact player in my opinion.
  21. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 0 / -0

:SDC::icon_wtf::beat::eek:wned::icon_finger:
  22. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0
  23. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top64.php?draftyear=2008

Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 08/12/07: #12 DT, #126/750 Overall, Projected: 4
    2007: Named the Notre Dame Monogram Club Most Valuable Player and received the Notre Dame Club of St. Joseph Valley Rockne Student-Athlete Award…Academic All-American second-team and Academic All-District V first-team choice by ESPN/CoSIDA…Served as one of four team captains, earning Irish Most Valuable Player honors…Led the team with a career-high 112 tackles (53 solos), as he was the only down lineman in the major college ranks to post 100 or more tackles during the 2007 season…Led the Irish with four sacks for minus 31 yards, eight stops for losses of 44 yards and seven quarterback pressures…Recovered two fumbles and deflected five passes…Also blocked three kicks while starting all twelve games at left defensive tackle in the team's new 3-4 defensive alignment. 13 GP; 13 GS; 62 TT, 9.5 TFL, 3.5 SK, 1 INT, 1 PBU, 2 QBH, 1 FF, 1 BLK in '06. 12 GP; 12 GS; 33 TT, 3 TFL, 1.5 SK, 1 PBU, 3 QBH, 2 BLK in '05. 12 GP; 0 GS; 17 TT, 2 TFL, 1 SK, 2 PBU, 1 FF in '04. Sat out the '03 season with an injury.

Draft Scout Trevor Laws News
    04/08/08 - 2008 Rang's Gang: DT - Trevor Laws, Notre Dame: Laws lacks the size to fit every scheme, but as a three technique under tackle, he is one of the year's better looking prospects. In posting an eye-popping 112 tackles this season, Laws moved from a late round prospect to a potential first day pick. While he isn't as strong on the field as his 35 reps at the Combine would indicate, he plays with good leverage, excellent burst, and uses his hands well to disengage and make plays at the point of attack. His relentless play was one of the few bright spots on an otherwise abysmal season for the Irish. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

02/25/08 - Trevor Laws turned on the jets during his senior 2007 season, and continued his ascension into the top 60 in Indianapolis on Monday. Although many people criticize the Combine as "guys in shorts," the relentless Laws stood out through during drills and tests. Teams saw that he can not only explode upfield, but also provide good lateral movement, body control and the ability to close on the ball. His 40s were in the 5.05-5.10 range, as expected, but the Golden Domer also showed good upper body strength on the bench press on Sunday. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com

02/20/08 - In two months, Trevor Laws has undergone a total-body overhaul worthy of a late-night infomercial. Between lost body fat and increased weight, he has added about 30 pounds of lean muscle. He said he has bench-pressed 225 pounds, the NFL industry standard, 31 times. He sometimes works out three times a day, always eats five times a day. The change is complete. For all his trouble, the former Notre Dame defensive tackle has become an 85-year-old man. "Me and my girlfriend are probably laying down at 8:30 every night," Laws said. "My dad is making fun of me, saying I go to bed earlier than him now." Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and ... well, that's potentially enough. Despite his team's 3-9 implosion last fall, perhaps no one on Notre Dame's roster helped himself more than Laws, who returned for a fifth season almost specifically to barrel his way onto the NFL radar screen. His team-high 112 tackles were the first step. Now the endgame to Laws' gambit is nigh at the NFL combine. "I really wish we had a winning season," Laws said. "Besides that, I'm healthy, I had a great year, a good Senior Bowl. To this point, things have pretty much gone as good as they can go for me." - Brian Hamilton, Chicago Tribune