1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

My thoughts on the Chargers vs Rams game.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LV Bolt Fan, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    I can agree with this and this next game will be a good look to see if Derek Smith is going to be anything for us or not. He hasnt impressed me a bit so far and that is a bit of a worry since we know Cooper will not be playing the first 4 weeks.

Next week i agree will tell us more but i doubt we will be real aggressive on defense. Just to see that they are in sync would a good thing. The run defense has been horrid so if they step that up some then great.

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Starers usually play as much as 3 quarters in the 3rd game. A good first half would be great if they play well.

3. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    yah, they were there too. Wilhelm hopefully loses his starting job. the guy cant tackle worth caca..

4. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0

I understand how long the starters play, but I still don't think that it matters much. I would much prefer that they play to avoid injury, than give it all in a meaningless game.

5. LAHotBoy

LAHotBoy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    IF oliver goes to safety. It's been a forgone conclusion that oliver is going to safety for about a month now. agreed on cason. he looks good out there. gordon looked like the intended reciever because he jumped that route so perfectly.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Smith will start only because Cooper is out & AJ won't back off of a decision he made to go out & get him. He hasn't done **** to earn the job. I'm not sure exactly who backs up who re:ILBs, but Siler, Waters, & Dobbins have ALL looked better than Smith so far.

Wilhelm needs to strap on a pair, too. :icon_evil:

7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Yeah.. it's starting to get embarassing. How are we going to win the Preseason Bowl if our vets keep playing like the games don't matter? :icon_evil:

8. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. Cason was at least two yards off the reciever. 99% of the time that INT is a 25 yard completion for the offense.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Wilhelm will lose the start by midseason.

10. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. I'm not worried about the regular season in the least. When it starts I'm sure the Tackling Fairy of the Elfin Forrest will visit Wilhelm in the night, wave her wand and imbue him with the magical powers to make the same tackles he's missed in preseason. That sounds much more reasonable than him growing a pair. :unsure:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

Wilhelm was one of the starers mentioned earlier. :yes:

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Let the pissing and moaning begi...uh...continue :rolleyes2:

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Growing a pair is pretty much synonymous with being visited by the tackling fairy, isn't it? They both imply he's suddenly going to acquire something he doesn't already have.

Our veterans are barely trying. They're going through the motions. I can't tell you how many plays I've seen where they're actually avoiding contact. Emotion and attitude are huge in football, and that switch will get flipped when the regular season starts.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    It's been a long offseason. We're talking football. Maybe you oughtta try it sometime. :icon_tease:

15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad you're pleased with our starters "barely even trying."

And no. The two things are not the same.

Growing a pair has to do with the real world:
    - Work on technique
    - Focus on the immediate task at hand
    - Realize that preseason is a place to better yourself
    - Realize that there are numerous very tallented second stringers ready to take your spot
    - Realize that you are only as good as you actually perform not your potential... preseason or not
    - Realize that your unit on the field bases their play on trusting that you can do your job right.

Assuming that the "switch is going to be flipped during the regular season" is:
    - Speculative
    - Presumptive
    - Lazy
    - Doesn't put responsibility on the individual
    - Doesn't let the rest of the team adjust to the way a unit will actually play when it counts.
    - A recipe for underperforming when it counts.

I'm not "whining" about the team losing. The final score of a preseason doesn't mean anything but the efforts of individual players and units mean everything. Preseason games are one step up from practice. It's an opportunity to play at full speed against an opponent that isn't concerned about keeping you injury free. It's a time to improve not a time to screw up the most basic of skills in football... tackling.

16. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Word.

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

oye, I hope your right, because we cannot afford a start like we had last year. Teams are going to be gunning for us from the get go...

18. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

:lol::lol::lol:

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    Down goes Fraiser! Down goes Fraiser!!! :icon_rofl:

20. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    There are coaches in this league who have said they wouldn't mind seeing preseason reduced to two games. Veteran players don't need 4 games to get ready for the season. How many times have we seen players come back from injury or a contract holdout halfway through training camp and play just fine when the regular season rolls around? I think you're overestimating the importance of these games for veterans. They've all played in games many, many times before, including the playoffs which is still another intensity-level.

That being said, we should see the first unit play at a much higher intensity level come Monday Night. It's the third game, and the third game of preseason is the dress-rehearsal and the one game of preseason coaches generally insist that their starters play as close to regular-season intensity as they can muster. The starters should play into the second-half. It's also MNF, which usually gets the players pumped.

Then, the final game will probably revert to being fairly sloppy and boring, and the regular season will start.

21. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

Emotion comes into play at some point. I'll put my money on our team being prepared to play from the start. Most of them went through the pain of that 1-3 start last year. I'm sure they won't let that happen again

• Like Like x 1
  22. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    He was a Raider...

23. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Truth. I feel fairly confident they'll address the problem. The thing that concerns me is that many of the problems we had in last preseason found their way into the first half of last season. Granted, new coach, new schemes etc... but the fact was that the lights didn't automatically turn on come regular season. This is my concern, Dude.

24. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I agree with the lack of need for 4 games in the preseason. But a problem with individual players is still a problem, regardless of the efficiency of the NFL's system.

And when it's something as basic as our linebackers not making tackles (their primary function) I start to get worried especially when so many of our preseason problems seeped into our regular season last year.

We do not have a Pro-Bowl caliber inside linebacking crew. In fact they are in the position of being replaced in the next year or two pending the play of some very talented backups. So, I don't think it's that outrageous by any means to be worried when they don't make tackles that they should be making preseason or not. As a fan, it's something that concerns me considering our teams problems with this area last year.

Am I really out of line here?

25. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    I think all of the complaining about Willhelm's failure to make tackles is valid and necessary but pointless as far as starting is concerned. Smith and Willhelm will start this season and then if Willhelm still can't tackle the coaches will start to look for a replacement. Both are probably playing with less intensity because they are sure of their starting position and would rather not get injured in a meaningless preseason game. I haven't heard any coaches complaining about his play, only fans. The battle at CB may be sealed by Cason's spectacular INT. I'm still worried about the Offensive line. Newberry isn't helping hold big DTs and Withrow is inconsistent in blocking. Sometimes he gets a great block and other times he gets manhandled. Clary couldn't hold Little to start with and the coaches are complaining. We brought in L.J. Shelton; maybe he should play RT. We will still have one hell of season; that I won't worry about until a few of our stars get hurt (knock on wood).

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Noted... :tup:

No, except that it was the 2nd preseason game

:bolt:

27. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Well atleast Acee agrees with me

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    That's great. Now he can spread the word. Maybe we can use Whitehurst as trade bait to get some beef in the line(s). :tup:

29. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    Whitehurst=currency.

30. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Do you think the raiders traded him on purpose and told to F' up San Diego O-line knowing that hardwick will be out for a month???:unsure: I wouldn't be suprised