1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

National TV exposure awaits team, but so does brutal schedul

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT teh ghost, Sep 9, 2005.

1. LT teh ghost

LT teh ghost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20050908-9999-x1s8opportun.html

September 8, 2005

The Chargers have operated in relative anonymity for years.

They enter this season having played on national television at night just three times since 1998. Far more often than not, their games would be broadcast to just a sliver of the country.

Such obscurity was the byproduct of going eight seasons with more losses than victories and being absolutely awful in some of those years.

That has changed.

Coming off their best regular season in 25 years, the Chargers will play three prime-time games on national television and another afternoon game shown nationally in 2005. At least a few more of their games against marquee opponents will likely be seen by a majority of the country.

So while a schedule filled with past playoff powers will test the Chargers much more than the 2004 schedule, the players anticipate something in the midst of the challenge.

Advertisement

"All I see is opportunity," said cornerback Quentin Jammer.

"We've got an opportunity to show the world what this team is all about," said offensive tackle Roman Oben.

The Chargers return every starter from a 2004 team that went 12-4, won the AFC West and advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 1995.

They have what many believe to be the league's best running back in LaDainian Tomlinson. Tight end Antonio Gates might be just a year or two from gaining that type of respect at his position. Quarterback Drew Brees made the Pro Bowl last season along with Tomlinson and Gates.

If the defense – experienced now in the 3-4 scheme it began running last season – can rush the quarterback with more success and defend against the pass even slightly better, there might be no limit to the Chargers' success.

Except for one thing.

In deference to the daunting schedule, coach Marty Schottenheimer said: "We're a better team. I don't know if that means we'll win more games."

The Chargers will play seven games against six teams that made the playoffs in 2004, including both Super Bowl participants on the road.

The first six weeks of the seemingly front-loaded schedule features games at Denver, New England and Philadelphia and a Monday night home game against Pittsburgh.

New England has won three of the past four Super Bowls. Philadelphia has been to the NFC Championship Game four straight years.

Denver has been to the playoffs the past two seasons, and the Broncos have beaten the Chargers in Denver five years in a row and all but five times in their past 37 meetings there.

The Chargers also play at the New York Jets, who beat them twice last year in San Diego, including in the playoffs. They also go to Indianapolis, a playoff participant the past three years seasons.

"We play teams that have been good for several years," Tomlinson said. "We get to measure ourselves. We're still an up-and-coming organization, one that's on the rise."

"It's time for us to show people how good we are," said receiver Keenan McCardell said. "We feel we're pretty good in this locker room. The only way you show people is by playing top-rated opponents."

There are other benefits to playing opponents such as New York's Jets and Giants, the Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys, as well as Randy Moss and the Oakland Raiders twice.

"You get exposure," linebacker Donnie Edwards said.

Tomlinson is the only current Charger appearing in national television commercials. With good performances against big-name opponents that more people see, Gates or Brees or Edwards or Jammer or Steve Foley could earn their way into that stratum.

"Why not be a focal point in the league?" Oben said. "Why not have two or three guys have Chunky Soup commercials? Why not have five Pro Bowlers on your team? You should enjoy the benefits of winning."

2. BasPilot

BasPilot BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure, I thought the Chargers had a Monday night game not too long ago, but I know that it wasn't as long as the Bengals had. They went 13 years without a Monday night, or Sunday for that matter. When they finally went in and got all that done it was AWESOME to see them. Then, the national media would talk trash about them, and they went out and beat two good teams last year in the prime time spotlight... That just meant we didn't have to hear how BAD they were anymore, now they are known as up and coming.... Until they win a Super Bowl, I don't think that team will EVER be called "Good"...

BUT PRIME TIME IS ALWAYS COOL...

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -0
    The Bolts did have a Monday night game 2 years ago against the Dolphins. But beacuse of the fires here in SD, they had to move the game to Arizona.

4. BasPilot

BasPilot BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I remember that... they were letting everyone in for free to that game. My sister in law went because it was free and left after the first quarter because she thought it was too loud... I remember that now!!!

5. LT teh ghost

LT teh ghost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0

Yes i remember that it was going to be the first time seau was to return to SD......and ummmm*cough*dolphins won*cough*