1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NCTimes: Chargers postgame show

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Dec 19, 2005.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +707 / 2 / -0
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/12/19/sports/professional/chargers/121805193741.txt

By: Jay Paris - Staff Writer

Key stat: 4 - Number of times Peyton Manning was sacked after absorbing 12 in the Colts' first 13 games combined.

Turning point

Shaun Phillips forced Manning into a fourth-quarter, intentional grounding penalty that derailed a potential go-ahead drive and eventually forced the Colts to punt.

Next game

Chargers at Chiefs

+ 10 a.m., Saturday

QUOTABLE

"Hopefully we will see them down the road, sooner than later.''

---- QB Drew Brees on the possibility of making another Indy trip to face the Colts in the playoffs.

WHO'S HOT

SHAWNE MERRIMAN

+ Two sacks help bag Colts' undefeated record.

WHO'S NOT

MANNING FAMILY

Bolts slap losses on Peyton and Eli in the same season.

INJURY REPORT

+ WR ERIC PARKER

Foot

+ DT LUIS CASTILLO

Sick

+ LB MATT WILHELM

Stinger

+ RB LaDAINIAN TOMLINSON

Ribs

MERRIMAN THE MAN

Merriman was sensational, recording two sacks and seven tackles after going three games without a sack.

"Knowing they had a perfect season, we wanted to be that first team to give them their first loss,'' said Merriman, the team's sack leader with nine. "We put in extra work all week long to come out and beat (Manning), to make him make decisions he didn't want to make.''

KAEDING'S KICKS

Nate Kaeding had a day he will long remember as he nailed field goals from 36, 20, 48 and 49 yards. His last one was the most critical, as it delivered a 19-17 lead with 6 minutes, 41 seconds to go.

"I really felt coming in I haven't had a big game or big play,'' said Kaeding, who is 8-of-11 on the year. "I was looking to make some big plays, and this is by far the highlight of my career so far.''

L.T.'S RIBS

After looking decent in the first half (54 yards on 15 carries), Tomlinson wasn't nearly as effective in the second half because of his sore ribs. He finished with 76 yards on 24 carries, and was relegated to the sidelines late in the fourth quarter.

"I knew as the game wore on and taking hits, I knew it was going to be a factor,'' said Tomlinson, who estimated he was at 80 percent. "So I just tried to go as long as could and as hard as I could."

Tomlinson didn't think the setback was serious.

McCARDELL'S McHIGH

Fourteen-year veteran WR Keenan McCardell set a career high for touchdown receptions in a season when he caught his first-quarter, 29-yard touchdown pass That gave McCardell nine scoring catches on the season, tying him with Antonio Gates for the team lead. McCardell finished with three receptions for 88 yards.

Also, when Parker went out with a foot injury McCardell took over the punt-return duties. McCardell made a mental mistake in the fourth quarter, fielding a punt at the goal line instead of letting it go into the end zone.

"If I had to do it over again,'' he said, "I'd let it go.''

ACTION JACKSON

With Parker going down and Kassim Osgood on IR, rookie Vincent Jackson is contributing more. The second-round pick had a career-best two catches for 41 yards, including a key reception of 21 yards that led to the Chargers' second touchdown.

"I'm in (receivers coach James Lofton's) pocket the whole game to try and get out there,'' Jackson said.