1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Never to early to look at 2012 draft prospects!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, May 4, 2011.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    Next year is gonna be so much better than this year if most of the juniors declare. Some guys who really interest me...

Vontaze Burfict ILB 6'3 240 - Explosive tackler, Ray Lewis like mentality, could see him going in top 15 but I'd have no problem trading up to get him.
    Quinton Coples OLB/DE 6'6 265 - Another freakish Tar Heel athlete. Best pass rusher that will be out. Probably a top 10 pick. Also keep an eye on his running mate Donte Paige-Moss, he's a little smaller but just as quick.
    Alshon Jeffery WR 6'4 230 - Insert obvious Vincent Jackson comparison.
    Brandon Jenkins OLB/DE 6'3 240 - Needs to add some weight, but has an array of pass rush moves.

Who do you guys like?

2. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    Vontaze Burfict

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Outside of my 2 homer picks from michigan (Craig Roh - OLB and Mike Martin - DL), i cant wait to see Ray ray Armstrong, the SS from Miami!
    Now thats what a Safety should be!

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Don't know that he'll come out for 2012, but keep an eye on WR Marcus Davis from Virginia Tech. 6'4", 230, good speed, excellent hands, tough after the catch.

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Ray Ray is my homer pick. Dude is a stud. I also like DB Vaughn Telemaque.

6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3

Miami at Virginia Tech
    Day: Saturday
    Date: Oct. 8, 2011
    Time: TBA

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4

Beat ya then. :D

I'll be at the game.

8. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    I don't have any faith in our QB situation. I am sure by then there will be another one starting.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Even though we have a new guy at the helm, I feel good about him. Big strong kid with a good arm & a lotta poise. He & Marcus Davis are gonna light it up this year.

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I'll likely do write more in-depth "Watch" thread once we start getting closer to the actual NCAA season starting - I usually like to wait till Spring Practices get finished before prepping specific watch lists, but I'll single out some players at areas we can anticipate having some medium or high priority needs depending on how free agency and player development treats us this year.

OLB:
    I'll preface by saying that a lot of this is based off of more than just having the typical build or being a prolific pass-rusher but also showing some semblance on tape of having semi-fluid hips (difficult to judge for most collegiate DE's whose teams don't ask them to drop into coverage on occasion, but you can see little glimpses when forced to play contain or to combat sweeps and QB bootlegs).

The Obvious:
    Quinton Coples - Now I'm not as enormous a fan of his - as a 3-4 OLB - as others are. I think he can do it, but I don't think the position itself plays particularly well to his strengths. I bring this up because while he could play the position and probably quite well, I'm not sure he'd be as prolific as if he were allowed to continue lining up with a hand in the dirt; it's little things he does out of a three-point stance that make him particularly dangerous. And because of that I'm not sure he'd every be worth quite as much as it would cost to get him (barring an injury or a monumental collapse he's a Top 5 lock). That said, all the hype that Robert Quinn was getting for being the second coming of Julius Peppers... Coples fits that mold far, far more. He's a true RDE, but he's got the side and strength in his game against the run that he can line up on the left side and give you RDE kind of production in terms of pass-rush.

Andre Branch - Yet another in a long line of uber-athletic Clemson DE's. He's my top Rush LB right now because he's very obviously got the hip fluidity already; Clemson's bandit end which is what he played in 2010 is often asked to freelance and lines up over the OT's outside shoulder quite a bit. He's a former high school OLB and TE that's been converted to DE, which speaks in favor of both his hips and his hands as well as his ability to work in space. It will be interesting to see how he does without DaQuan Bowers on the other side of the line to draw attention, but I'll take even average production so long as he shows he has the fundamentals and technique necessary to do the do at the next level. Average production might actually help us in terms of him falling closer to our likely pick.

The Next Tier:
    Vinny Curry - This is one of my favorite DL prospects, I'm not gonna lie. Prototypical size, fantastic quick twitch, would have been a minimum of a 2nd round pick even in this year's deep DL draft this year had he declared. He's a very heady and smart player, which is probably what I like best about him. This goes beyond just a nose for the ball, you watch him pre-snap and he has an uncanny ability to read and anticipate - particularly if QB's are dumb or naive enough to give too strong a look towards their primary receiver. There may be some questions about the level of competition faced, but in spite of playing in the MAC, I'm pretty sure Marshall has some fairly significant games against Big XII opponents this upcoming season, so those will really be the ones to watch.

Adewale Ojomo - Unless there's just a massive purging of players jumping from Miami to go the pro's, I'm not so sure he's going to declare early (CoronaDoug, correct me if I'm wrong but he got a medical redshirt for the '09 season, didn't he? Or is he a true senior this year?). He's reminds me of a pitbull in pursuit, and probably needs a coach to rein him in a little bit because he plays a little over-agressive which leave potential to get washed out of plays if/when he overpursues. But all the physical tools to build from are there. Doug can add more to this if he likes. Then again... he's goes to a school in Florida, which means AJ will likely never pick him.

Jacquies Smith - This is my sleeper. I'm not convinced in the least that he'll declare, but I was also pretty certain that Aldon Smith would (or SHOULD) have gone back for another year, so it may be that Gary Pinkle is losing his once legendary knack for getting players to play out their eligibility. All that edge pressure that folks were giving Aldon Smith credit for getting (which he didn't, most of his statistics came when he lined up at the 3-Technique and outquicked guards) was actually coming from THIS Smith. He'll likely be asked to drop into coverage and get moved around a the line a fair amount this season, so we'll get a good feeling for what he's like coming from different and angles and hopefully out of a 2-pt stance.

Possible Breakouts:
    Cam Johnson - Few coaches at the collegiate level know the 3-4 better than Al Groh. Now granted, Groh is not at UVA anymore, but he did recruit Johnson and per past comments saw something "special" in him - something he hasn't said about a player of his since Chris Long. Johnson needs to show more consistency, but he is very good against the run just kind of on-one-week-off-the-next in terms of pass-rush; he tends to go off in spurts. Chalk up last season to growing pains of going back from the 3-4 under Groh to the 4-3.

Lance Nzegwu - Would be another fun name for Ray to try and pronounce. I'm highly interested to see how Nzegwu does with the increased reps this season - particularly since those increased reps come due to JJ Watt no longer being in the lineup. Bret Bielema at Wisconsin has been recruiting more and more well-rounded athletic defenders over the past half-decade. He's likely the biggest boom/bust candidate for the upcoming college season (he's either going to make a name for himself or fall off the map), but this is the "breakout" category after all.

Mikhail Marinovich - Yeah... so his brother used to be the QB of the Raiders. No literally, this is Todd Marinovich's much younger brother. He's also a guy that caught my eye two seasons ago while tuning into Syracuse games and game recaps to see footage of Arthur Jones. He's scrappy - yes, both the good and bad connotations of that. He does get a bit chippy at times (it runs in the family...), but he works extremely well in space and he's just all over the field. That same positive comment that many made of Corey Liuget - that even if he's not the one making the play he's in on seemingly every play - that's Marinovich. Will be interesting to see how much pub he actually gets playing in the Big East and at a not-so-known-for-its-football school like Syracuse.

I'll add ILB, WR (which will take me some time, admittedly because the pool is always tough to gauge outside of the Top 3 prospects), and CB in the next day or so.

11. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Just look for five players that we would never draft and that will be our draft. There is no rhyme or reason anymore. :p

12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    Homer pick and deffinatly not drafted by us, RB Michael Dyer.

Really the 2010 Auburn team made me a fan, got to see alot of their games toward the end. Got to see enuff of Dyer to remember the Turner *the BURNER* days. I dont pay enuff attention to College ball, and have no idea if hes in his sophomore or Junior year. Whenever he comes out hes gonna be my favorite RB in his class and prob will be drafted as such.

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,601 / 29 / -1
    Dyer was a true freshman last year out of Little Rock.

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    Yea Crap and it looks like he is gonna finish his 3 years. :/ IMO that guy is ready!! I understand wanting to finish your classes and graduate with a degree in something post NFL. I guess Ill be watching more Auburn games for the next 3 years.

Great Vid finally found one with everthing Dyer, didnt kno this guy had such a great story of overcoming adversity and rising to the occasion.

15. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
  16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    2012 defensive prospects: Alabama loaded - NFL - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

EDIT: LOL

DEFENSIVE ENDS
    Grade: Average

1.K Blair Walsh (Georgia) 5-10/185/4-5
    2.P Bryan Anger (California) 6-4/207/4.75/4-5
    3.P Drew Butler (Georgia) 6-2/210/5.20/5
    4.K Philip Welch (Wisconsin) 6-3/198/5-6
    5.K Caleb Sturgis (Florida) 5-10/192/6
    6.K David Ruffer (Notre Dame) 6-1/176/6-7
    7.K Derek Dimke (Illinois) 6-0/180/6-7
    8.P Brad Nortman (Wisconsin) 6-3/212/7
    9.P Brian Stahovich (San Diego State) 6-0/195/7

SO that would be a pretty Weak DE class lol. The rest of the list seems in place. I wonder why this hasnt been edited yet. Was posted on the 5th. Oyea thats right writers dont work on the weekends.

17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,601 / 29 / -1
    I may be a bit of a homer here but if Jarius Wright finds his way to San Diego I'll go nuts.

18. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +323 / 1 / -0
    Lol, I looked at those 9 and got a laugh. If you want a kicker take Dustin Hopkins