1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

New 2012 NFL Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by DFlo, Jun 1, 2011.

1. DFlo

DFlo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 2 / -0
    Hey guys, here is my new 2012 NFL Mock Draft, let me know what you guys think:

2012 NFL Mock Draft

I used last year's order for simplicity.
  2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Using last year's order is dangerous, I tell you that now. A number of issues that stand out to me for that being an issue:
    1) There are teams picking in the Top 1/4th or higher that were there by and large because of season ending injuries to key players (see Dallas, most significantly, who was down to their 3rd string QB at one point). You give them a 4th place (divisional) schedule and most likely that's tacking on a guaranteed 2 if not 3 wins to their end result... and it's not like they were a particularly bad team before they got swamped with injuries.
    2) With that in mind, there are a number of teams that are more or less likely to benefit from a 4th place (i.e. easier) schedule and there are some that will significantly. Thing is... it also works the other way around. Some teams that finished higher up in their division last season are very likely not equipped to handle a more difficult in-conference schedule (i.e. boost in level of competition). It's significant because it's a potential 3-game swing in final result which can be enough to move a team from middle of the order (8-8) to Top 10 pick or higher (5-11). Detroit loos like they have a beastly DL now, but is that enough to mask the obvious holes their secondary had last season... and is their OL going to be able to keep Stafford upright long enough for him to stave off yet another shoulder injury... against tougher competition? How about the Rams going from a 4th place schedule in 2010 to a 2nd place schedule in 2011? Or the Chiefs from a 3rd place schedule to a 1st place schedule (since we saw how well they stacked up against ACTUAL playoff-caliber teams last year when they got to the playoffs and got smoked)?

As to the actual picks:
    Jared Crick has no business going in the Top 10 unless he has a Suh-like season. Right now, he's going to need a season akin to the one he had playing alongside Suh in '09 just to solidify a 1st round grade in what will be another stacked DT class. Barring significant injury to either or both, he has no business being selected before the likes of Jerel Worthy or Marcus Forston (if he declares), who also should have more value as 5-Techniques/3-4 DE's than him as well.

Chances are extremely slim Carolina selects another DE that high, even if they lose Charles Johnson to free agency whenever it rolls around this year. They have a former 1st round pick invested in Everette Brown (he was drafted in the 2nd rd, but they spent a future 1st to acquire that 2nd), Greg Hardy who seems to actually be playing up to his potential for them, and Eric Norwood, even past Johnson. I doubt that they're going to be picking in the top spot again, but even if they're picking in the Top 5 they're more likely to be looking to give Cam-Cam reasons to succeed, most likely meaning a WR.

If we took Hightower over Te'o to fill an ILB spot, AJ should be tarred and feathered. Hightower is like Mike Pouncey to Rolando McClain's Marquis Pouncey - in other words the most mediocre poor man's version imaginable... and Hightower has injury issues to boot. He's another guy that's going to have to do some major recovery to his stock just to even sniff the early part of the second day of the draft in my estimation (he's a pure ILB with no potential to project outside in either the 4-3 or 3-4, thus in no way, shape, or form does he have 1st round stock in actual NFL scout's minds). Taking Hightower over Upshaw, Jenkins, and even Paige-Moss (who I'm not particularly high on) is just a travesty in terms of value.

Riley Rieff is undersized for Baltimore's scheme. He's almost purely a zone-blocking tackle.

Al Davis doesn't draft "quarterbacks of the future," he drafts QB's of the Right now. Foles may be an attractive option, but your explanation is off - Al will not draft a guy in the 1st without the intention of having him have every opportunity to start from Day One... it's just how the man works.

Alabama is not going to have THAT many guys go in the 1st round. Just isn't going to happen. I've already pointed out the likelihood that Hightower won't be a 1st round prospect, but neither will Barron either. If the safety class is so weak that Mark Barron could/would be a 1st round grade worthy guy, then Ray Ray Armstrong would declare... and he'd go easily half a round ahead of Barron and be the first safety off the board (I wouldn't put it past Maryland's Kenny Tate to get drafted ahead of Barron too).

With a 1st round pick (Cushing) and a large contract (DeMeco Ryans) invested into their ILB's at present, it will take either Ryans' busting hard in the 3-4 or a trade of Ryans (or both) before Houston would invest a 1st round pick in another ILB, even one with the ceiling of Burfict. You're over thinking things with this one. And you can bet dollars to donuts that if Houston is picking this high again (or realistically misses the playoffs again) that Gary Kubiak is run out of town on a rail. The more likely pick is probably an LT as Duane Brown has been pretty average-at-best for them, his guaranteed monies would be past-paid, and he'd be getting into the more expensive monies of his contract (if not pushing restricted free agency).
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
  4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Ray Ray Armstrong

go get him.