1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

New CNNSI mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Mar 9, 2007.

1. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Don't forget Joe Staley and Eric Weddle and yes Weddle is a top 40 player so why not :abq2:
  2. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    incredible isnt it?
  3. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    really? ;)
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    by and large yeah
    what was their last 1st round bust?
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I love the Anteaterisms, By and large, and by the same token seem to be your favorite things to say.

Im just playin man. :lol:
  6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    This is the draft that A.j. will make his money. The odds are against the chargers getting the better picks in this draft. But with a little luck A.j. may be able to keep us ahead of the game.
  7. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I don't know why you keep thinking I want him, he's the last player I'd want. I don't know how I can make that any clearer, but I'm still objective at the player's talent. It's really that simple but you seem to be trying to make something out of nothing.

Anyways how about this are you saying Kiel's coverage skills in college were good or comparable to Meriweather? I don't care that Kiel's played Pro Ball obviously he wasn't good enough.
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I think its pretty damn obvious who we should draft honestly, I dont know why so many people are freaking about about drafting a safety or a wide reciever.

1. Meachem- I dont care how, find a way.
    2. Hunt/Leonard- fantastic changeup backs for LT.
    3. Piscitelli- Ive more then explained why he is legit
    4-7. A CB, DT, and G in any order.
  9. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    this discussion isnt about what i think of kiel. its what you think of meriweather. obviouslty you think he has talent, but after i asked you about it repeatedly you never explained why.... why is meriweather talented? its a simple question
  10. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    His parents have good genes? I don't know why he's talented, but he is. Really what are you looking for I've answered all of your questions directly yet you act like I'm talking about big foot or something.
  11. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0

reading an article somewhere by some so-called "expert" saying he has talent doesnt mean anything. if you dont know why he's talented, then why say he is? this is ridiculous.
  12. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0

Seriously you must have some problem because nowhere have I said I think he's talented because I read it. I've said I've seen him play, I told you why he's a talented player. Yet you still don't understand. I really don't know what you're looking for.

You give me the third degree about why he has talent, but when I ask you a question about Kiel (because you compared the two) you deflect the question with another question. Jeez you want to talk about ridiculous just read your own posts.
  13. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    someone asked what the difference was btwn kiel and meriweather, and you said talent. now you say you never said that? cmon man, ive seen meriweather play in a lot of games. he is too small. people say he tackles well but he catches unknowing WRs with a shoulder and it looks good on tv. he will get run over in the nfl. he is not an interception machine by any means. he racks up tackles but that is bc the defense has really declined after all the first day picks. brandon meriweather sucks.

this kid is overrated. imo he would make a decent ST player, but he lacks the size to be a starting FS.
  14. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    When did I say I never said it (seriously find where I said it, but you'll have trouble doing it because I never did)? I said just because there's a talent difference doesn't make him a better player, there are a lot of players who have had great talent but didn't do anything with it (Ryan Leaf).

Try to get things right before you make claims that aren't true.

I never said he was a great player (I said he had talent), I never said I wanted him (I actually said I didn't), I said he was a better coverage safety than Kiel, and I said he wasn't anywhere near as good as Reed.

Being small doesn't equal no talent. Being overrated doesn't equal no talent (I agree he's overrated and have already said this).
  15. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    this is funny. i really dont know what youre trying to say anymore. all i wanted to know from the begining was why you thought meriweather was talented. 10 posts later we havent really established anything, except the negatives i posted about meriweather (besides him being an azz).

i am aware that just because a player is small, it doesnt mean hes talented or not. but maybe you can contribute something here on this topic to help me understand why this kid is "talented"...
  16. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    What is so confusing about my post, maybe you have trouble reading but it's really clear.

When did I say that I never said he was talented? You highlight parts where I said he was talented, how does that support your claim? So I'll repeat make sure you get things right before writing a load of BS.

I've already posted why I think he's talented but apparently you have trouble looking at previous posts so here it is.

Meriweather is a better coverage safety, he's more athletic, has better speed. He may be small but College to Pro players don't have a problem bulking up (without losing much speed if any at all) with the trainers around them.

The only thing Kiel is really better than him is run defense but other than that Meriweather pretty much has him beat.

But like I said numerous times better talent doesn't equal better player.

If this isn't good enough for you, well that's too bad because I'm not wasting anymore time on this. I hope you aren't this difficult to deal with in person.
  17. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    everybody has a right to their opinions, it just seemed to me you were contradicting yourself. it doesnt really matter, im not tryna be an azz its just that i dont like meriweather for a number of reasons. and when someone says he has talent i would just like to see their reasons why.
  18. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    like i said before, you cant compare a college player to an nfl player (accurately anyways). i never really cared how meriweather was better than kiel, actually im more interested in how he compares to peers like griffin. but to say that meriweather has kiel beat in anything is just ridiculous, again. let this kid play in the pros for a year or two before you make claims like that.

saying things like "hes a better coverage safety" when trying to explain why hes good is extremely lacking of any type of explanation.
  19. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I don't like him either, I mean I agree with you there, he's probably the last guy I'd want us to draft but just because you don't like him doesn't mean he doesn't have talent. That was my main point.

Leaf had talent too, but we know what happened with him.

Just an example not related to football: A singer can have a great vocal talent and is able to write great lyrics to songs. If I don't like the singer, it doesn't mean he can't sing or doesn't have singing ability.
  20. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Kiel was never a good coverage safety, not in college and not in the NFL. Meriweather being a better coverage safety isn't a stretch. I didn't say he was a better pro, I'm just saying talent wise Meriweather is better, whether he'll end up being better than Kiel in the pros who knows. You never know with college players, but even if he doesn't it's not because he didn't have the talent to do so.
  21. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    ok, great analogy, but explain where the "talent" is again? dude we have talked in circles for the last 20 posts. its really getting tiring. i am still waiting on your explanation of why meriweather is any good at all. about a million players can cover better than kiel, thats not saying much. but can you point to any games or plays where he really made an amazing play?

let me tell you this, the canes defense has slipped the last few years without question. but they are still solid most of the time, their offense was putrid which was why they were a .500 team this year. anyways, more credit should be given to their front 7. guys like kareem brown, baraka atkins, and their backers are the reason why meriweather gets any picks at all. they are also the reason why he can rack up so many tackles, you think anyone really tries to block him?
  22. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I could point to numerous things but then all you'd do is say yea but that was in college, he's never played in the pros like Kiel. So it's really pointless. I've already pointed out what makes Meriweather a talented player you can either take it or leave it.

I know the guy is small and would struggle against blocks and that's one of his weaknesses but that doesn't change anything I said, but the main purpose in getting him would be because of his coverage skills, something we need in a safety. We don't need another run stopping safety, although if we can get one that could do both that would be great.

Now for real this is my last post on this subject.
  23. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0

why couldnt you throw me a bone, dawg? thats all i wanted from the beginning of this asinine discussion. :icon_sad:
  24. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    I really think it's a waste of time to even look at Merriweather, simply because of the "character" concerns. Besides the "stomp" incident during the FIU game, there is this little blurb ....

I'm pro-gun, and I see no problem with someone protecting themself, but it just seems odd that a college kid needs to be packing a semi-auto pistol. What led him to believe he needed to carry a weapon? If Merriweather had been a peacemaker, instead of a protagonist in the FIU brawl, then a case could be made to sweep the gun incident under the table. As the events stand, I see no chance in AJ calling Merriweather's name on draft day.

Not exactly the type of guy AJ wants, especially after dumping the embarassing situations caused by Kiel and Foley.
  25. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. Talent doesn't outweigh the warning signs.

I would be shocked if we draft Merriweather with those red flags.