1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

New Uniform to be announced today for those who doubted

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Mar 9, 2007.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070309-1316-bn9chargers.html

Chargers' uniform, logo to undergo complete makeover

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

1:16 p.m. March 9, 2007

SAN DIEGO – The Chargers will announce today that for the first time in 18 years, their uniform and logo have undergone complete makeovers.
    Chief among the changes is a redesigned gold bolt outlined in powder blue, white helmets and a newly contoured overall look.

Advertisement The powder blue framing the bolts on the helmets and the jersey is the only addition of that popular color, which many fans have opined should be the team's primary color. The Chargers will continue to wear their powder blue uniforms twice each season.
    “The powder blue hasn't gone away,” said Jim Steeg, the Chargers' chief operating officer. “It's now part of the color scheme. It was not before. It's now part of us.”

The new design is somewhat futuristic and somewhat nostalgic, with the primary goal of creating an identity for the current Chargers.

“It's modern, but at the same time, it's classy,” said quarterback Philip Rivers, one of a half-dozen players who has seen and tried on the new uniforms. “... It's kept the tradition of the colors and the bolts. But it's done in a way that gives uniqueness to this team. It shows respect to the Chargers of the past. At the same time it says this is the Chargers of 2007. Hopefully we're holding up the (Lombardi) Trophy wearing these uniforms.”

A shroud of secrecy for several months limited knowledge of the change to just three people in the Chargers organization and until recently encompassed only a small circle of executives and key players. The 20-month process of changing the iconic bolt will culminate in a fashion show scheduled for 4 p.m. Wednesday at the U.S. Grant hotel.

Rumors about the pending change began during Super Bowl week, and heated up when a graphic of the new logo and a picture of LaDainian Tomlinson from the chest up wearing the new uniform was accidentally posted for approximately three minutes on the Chargers' Web site Thursday night. That was long enough for someone to see it and eventually post it on a SignOnSanDiego fan forum.

That sent the Chargers scrambling late last night and this morning, prompting the team to decide to say later today that a change is coming. However, they will stick with their initial plan of a Wednesday unveiling.

Even now, minor changes are being made in the design.

The uniforms have been significantly altered both aesthetically and physically.

“This uniform is going to be a first of its kind,” Steeg said.

Made of a fabric that is form-fitting yet elastic, it has fewer grab points for opponents, so the Chargers anticipate being held less often. It also will be less restrictive for players because of its elasticity. The jersey also is lighter and has air vents.

The main colors remain the same – with navy being worn for home games, white on the road and powder blue for two “throwback” games. The bolt now wraps around the shoulder rather than being on top of the shoulder, and the numbers have moved from the biceps to the top of the shoulder. The collar is no longer a V-neck but is more rounded. Around the collar on the home jersey is a white fringe. On the away jersey, the fringe is blue. Below the collar, the word CHARGERS has been added.

The helmet is similar to the one the Chargers have worn for years with the “throwback” powder blues. The bolt is simply the new design and the player's number will be in black on the back of the helmet above the neck.

The stripe on the pants stripe is wider, contoured, coming around from the rear. And the bolt has just two points instead of the current eight.

The team's helmet and uniforms featured a gold bolt in the franchise's first 28 seasons.

The team's fourth major uniform redesign – but first since 1988 – also includes a major update of its all-cap “CHARGERS” logo. The new design is less blocky, sleeker and includes a single blue and gold stripe running only through the letters versus all the way through as it has for almost two decades.

Since the Chargers changed their bolt from gold to white and their helmets and home jerseys from royal blue to navy blue in 1988, 13 NFL teams have completely redone their uniforms. That does not include the Tennessee Titans, who changed their name and uniform a year after relocating from Houston, nor expansion franchises Carolina or Houston.

The Chargers did shorten the lightning bolt on their jersey pants in 1992, and every team besides the Chicago Bears and Oakland Raiders have made at least one alteration to its uniform in that time, including expansion franchises Jacksonville and Cleveland.

Most have made numerous changes – to jersey numbers, pants stripes, helmets and/or adding, subtracting or altering a logo.

This will change all Chargers' merchandise as well – from eight-piece barbecue sets to card tables to key chains with the Chargers' logo. The new Chargers' uniforms also will be featured in this year's version of video games.

The team will spend approximately $750,000 to change logos and insignia on the front of its building, the carpet in the locker room, business cards, letterhead, stadium signage and elsewhere.

Merchandise with the new logo will not be in stores until the end of April.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    Wow, sounds like a plot to take advantage of the Chargers increased popularity and to simply generate more merchandise revenue.

Or it could mean a new futuristic look for a new city.

Concudan, we're going to need a new site banner!
  3. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if the mistake on the webpage forced their hand to announce it a little earlier than thought.
  4. ChargerRay

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    What mistake?
  5. ChargerRay

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    Will it look like this? I don't like how the bolts look on the shoulders. :no:

[​IMG]
  6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings Received:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    You'll get used to it.

I really like the new look. It's about time we updated, the other unis were getting a little tired.
  7. ChargerRay

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    LT doesn't look too thrilled. :lol:
  8. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Thie mistake that the picture of LT you had came up on their homepage for a few minutes. I finally read the whole article and it sounds like they did rush to announce it today.

I just am hoping they don't do navy on navy, I can't stand that look. It screams Div. II or III college football or worse.
  9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +407 / 8 / -0
    I don't think it was a mistake, I think it was on purpouse to create some buzz, and it worked
  10. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I like the part that they tried to make the uni's harder to grasp. It will be interesting to see if that is truly the case. I also wish they would have left the numbers on the sides of the helmets, but that is OK.
  11. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    This change has Norv Turner written all over it.
  12. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Don't you think they would have the "fashion show" earlier than Wed. in that case?
  13. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings Received:
    +407 / 8 / -0
    maybe, but the speculations from now until wednesday are going to be rampant :icon_shrug:
  14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    I like the white helmet idea. :tup: :abq2: :abq1:
  15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Norv's the "Man". :tup: :abq2: :abq1: :abq1:
  16. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    Does anybody else think that a white helmet with a navy blue jersey would look lame? :icon_shrug:
  17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    I don't know because I cant find actual freakin pictures of it!:icon_evil:
  18. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I think it would except for there will be the white patches on the shoulders. I am open to it, at least until I see it.
  19. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    thats because hes wearing KO's jersey...
  20. Electric Chair

Ratings Received:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    Titan-esque.

I still think that it's going to look tight.
  21. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    No way...i remember them talking about a new charger logo and jersey way before the Norv was in town.
  22. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings Received:
    +407 / 8 / -0
    white helmet, navy jersey, white pants, Marcus McNeil might like those colors :icon_shrug:
  23. Electric Chair

Ratings Received:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    AJ has been planning the hiring of Norv since he arrived in San Diego. He is all knowing, all seeing.
  24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    It looks a little to much cowboys for me.
  25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
    here is an extremely quick an thoroughly ****** photoshop i just did of possible new look (forgive me, i dont have my drawing pad at work and i suck with a mouse :lol:):

I think when we see the whole thing it might look pretty awesome actually

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  26. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings Received:
    +1,703 / 0 / -0
    Your Fired !!! :lol: :icon_tease:
  27. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings Received:
    +407 / 8 / -0
    hope it looks a LOT better than that :lol:

but I (we) appreciate the effort (what little was put into it) :tup:
  28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,577 / 44 / -6

MY EYES, MY EYES. :tdown: :icon_tease: :bolt2:
  29. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
    :lol:

i warned you guys of the suckitude