1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL.com Allen almost quit after week 1

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...eenan-allen-nearly-quit-chargers-after-week-1

Keenan Allen nearly quit Chargers after Week 1

By Chris Wesseling
    Around the League Writer
    Published: Dec. 26, 2013 at 08:30 p.m.
    Updated: Dec. 26, 2013 at 08:57 p.m.

Keenan Allen has already set the San Diego Chargers rookie record with five 100-yard receiving games.

The team didn't know how close Allen came to never recording a single 100-yard game.

Allen was persona non grata in the Bolts early-season offense, failing to play a single snap in the Week 1 loss to the Texans.

"After I didn't play after that first game," Allen said, via U-T San Diego, "I was about another snap away of not playing from quitting."

He was serious, too.

After three seasons playing his college ball at Cal, Allen contemplated going back to Berkeley to finish his degree, with an eye toward perhaps becoming a music producer. He even leaned on his mother for guidance.

"'I need help. I'm losing. I'm about to quit,'" Allen recalled of his conversation. "(I wasn't) living up to my expectations of starting. I've never been a role player-type guy. Not easy at all. ... I've never had to do it before. I never had to adjust."

Allen was saved from that twist of fate when Malcom Floyd went down with aseason-ending neck injury the next week.

Although it might be natural to doubt his passion for the game, Allen has overcome knee and shoulder injuries to emerge as a leading candidate for Offensive Rookie of the Year.

After watching Allen take off from the free-throw line for a key touchdown in the Week 15 upset over the Broncos, who can doubt his competitive fire?

It's not unusual for a 21-year-old to find himself drifting after his college days. Allen's surprising revelation speaks to the trials and tribulations of a underappreciated rookie struggling to adjust to a new NFL environment.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" delivered a Christmas gift, analyzing the chaotic playoff picture in both conferences.
  2. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    There are a couple of good videos on the page. Check them out.
  3. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +224 / 8 / -3
    What a bs article. you're talking about a 21 yo who has legitimate musical talent. So he thought about something besides football? He certainly hasn't shown any quit on the field & he should definitely be thinking about life after football.

Not shooting the messenger here, Concudan. Allen's mistake was opening his mouth to the bozo's at the UT. This was nothing more than a "d!@ks for clicks" article. Slow day at the **** plant.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    I understand your point but to be honest I don't think it is BS at all.

He was a young man who by all accounts did very well in college, then in the pros struggled and didn't know how he fit in. To think that he thought of quitting football is not far stretch at all in my opinion. Talent does not measure mental fortitude, and IMHO we have to take the kid for his word on where he was with that in week 1.

Also quitting football is not the same as quitting on a play, I don't see the correlation there. Alls I can say is I am glad things worked out, I think he is going to be something special for some time.
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    It's definitely a slow news day kinda article

No one doubts Allen plays and works hard at his craft. It could be one of two things; I maintain it's a bit of a diva personality blooming in him but what Conc mentioned is also a very strong possibility, which I also touched on in the podcast. He was one of the finest receivers in the history at Cal, regularly believed to be the best receiver in the draft class and was basically guaranteed a first round selection. Then he gets injured, has a poor combine, becomes the 6th (7th?) receiver taken and by a team that had four players in front of him. It's not surprising that would really be a big blow to his ego and he'd have trouble adjusting at least initially. I just want to make sure this doesn't turn into a me me me attitude, but that's a few good years away from happening if that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    8th
  7. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 1 / -0
    Now looking back I wonder how the Texans game would of gone had he played more...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    It sounded to me like he didn't know if he was good enough and had a bit of self doubt, but that's just me.
  9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Agreed. On the surface I want to say cliche stuff like not a team player and what-not, but given the context of the story I think it's more of a self-doubt almost giving up on himself too early sort of deal.

Either way it's water under the bridge at this juncture.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 1 / -0
    It's so funny to me how people (not here- at large) are criticizing him for what he didn't do. He admitted to doubts and struggles that he didn't succumb to, and he's being lambasted in certain circles as if he did.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Wasn't this on TV way back on the 22nd?

Watching him actually explain his feelings, it just seemed to me like
    a young guy with a bit of doubt about where he'd fit in at the NFL level,
    disappointed in what (at the time) seemed like no opportunity to get on the field…
    combined with a very real musical ability, and a love of it that was simultaneously
    drawing him towards a career in music.

I love Malc and was sad to see him go down (again), but the reality of the league is that
    every injury creates an opportunity for someone else:
    Would Kurt Warner have ever got on the field if Rodney hadn't drilled Trent Green?
  12. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +224 / 8 / -3
    I think it's BS that the UT felt that they needed to open the kid up to rampant speculation. We're seeing just a smattering of it here. What do you think is going in the minds of the wider fan base? and the correlation? People are speculating if the kid is a quitter.
  13. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Ahhh... I can agree with that.

I cant speak for 'people' but I for one have seen his play and cant imagine I will call him a quitter any time soon.
  14. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    So, is Allen a quitter, or not? ;)
  15. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    [​IMG]
  16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    When you walk into something that seems bigger than you one day, it can seem insurmountable. Lot's of crazy thoughts can go through ones head at the juncture, so far, it's worked out just fine in my book. The kid has a future.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,547 / 44 / -6
    Do you spit?, that's a quitter!!!!!!
  18. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +175 / 2 / -1
    Nailed it.
    I might add that Allen deservedly was a rock star at Cal, and then after that first Boltz game riding the pine, staring down into a potential "abyss of perpetual NFL backupdom", it is no wonder he said, WTF? Am I doing the right thing with my life?
    I wonder what mama told him. Give it a season?
  19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    The more I think about it the more this article irks me. It's stuff like this I've grown to hate about sports media and even many fans alike.

We try to dissect people's intent and personal character way too much.

Even if it was Allen thinking about quitting for selfish reasons of not getting the ball....so the heck what? He obviously changed his mind and everything's for the best now.

**** like this only risks drawing the ire of fans on a rising star player. We have enough trouble as is keeping sports stars in San Diego once free agency dollars loom, do we really need to drive wedges between them and the fans for the sake of a slow news day?

I'm not saying that's going to happen here. I hope fans in general have clearer heads and everything, but that's pretty much the only purpose releasing this news blurt serves....especially when you focus on the fact that he "Almost quit!!!!" in the title before explaining the context in the text.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 1 / -0
    Fans today are hungry to feel outraged about things that don't concern them and/or don't matter. And the media is happy to feed them. In fact, they've helped to create this appetite by reporting on rather innocuous matters in a way that makes them seem controversial.

I just have to ask- why does anyone need to have an opinion on how a rookie was feeling in training camp.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +224 / 8 / -3
    Basically what I said above. There was no need for the article & only further cements the UT in my bucket o' crap.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259 / 4 / -0
    The only people that get offended by this are idiots. I bet a ton of rookies come in and are unsure of their future and whether they want to be a backup when they're used to being stars. It's a huge adjustment and not everyone handles adjustments well, especially kids in their early 20s. The important thing is he stuck it out like a champ and is now in the playoffs as a leading candidate for rookie of the year.
  23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Love that animated gif of Rivers, Jesse…if one didn't know better, they'd probably assume Rivers
    was furious over refs overturning a big reception, or something, instead of celebrating an
    Aijirotutu game-winning TD pass...
    Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 3.24.19 PM.png
    Just the same, my favorite caption would be:
    "Hey, Tiff's ovulatin' guys...outta my way!!"
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 1 / -0
    Hahahahaha. Pure gold. Well done.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1