1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL.COM Report; OLB Dwight Freeney suffered torn quadriceps

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    another name put there who might be the Best FA available right now is Jo-Lonn Dunbar who just served a 4 game suspension, he was pretty productive for the Rams last year, 100+ tackles, 4 sacks and 2 INt's

another option could be Chris Gocong

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    Jo-Lonn fits a 4-3 as a LB. Plus the Rams already have a deal in place for him to be re-signed.

Gocong is so injure prone its not even funny. He's coming off an Achilles injury too.

3. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    A switch to 4-3 in Week 5 designed to get Jarius Wynn to the QB? So I'm guessing English, Johnson, and Williams move up to DE as well? And then we have Butler, Teo, Gachkar, Bird and Walker as our LBs?
    I doubt this is going to happen.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 38 / -21
    Giants are only 2 games down in their division, I can't see them trading pass rushers (something they've always wisely valued immensely) unless they're even farther back by the deadline.

And really I think that that goes for every team, except the super poor ones like JAX who have nobody we want anyway.

The next question is do we have the cap space to make a trade for a veteran like Kiwanuka, after taking the hit for Meachem.

5. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    If you've watched a few games, notice how they use Dwight Freeney? His hand is in the ground most of the time. Nobody said switch to a 4-3, just a multiple 4-3 front look.

Johnson has done well with his hand in the ground too.

6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    I've also noticed that Dwight Freeney is out.
    Point taken about multiple 4-3 front look, but it doesn't solve the depth issue or the drop-off in pass rush with Freeney gone.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    Chargers also grabbed Thomas Keiser off of the Practice Squad - he's going to be heavily rotated along with Williams and English. I am actually somewhat optimistic about him

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +886 / 5 / -0
    During a couple of the preseason games, Keiser made some plays, big son of a gun...

9. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196 / 3 / -1
    Freeny IRd along with Malcom Floyd.
    MF must have one F'd up neck to be out for the rest of the season. Bummer. Hope against hope we get Ingram back on D. He's been running the hills behind Charger's Park but no football activities yet.

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +409 / 8 / -0
    is this the end of M80's career? :(

Edit: just read Gehlken's tweet that he´s coming back in 2014

11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    Coming back, yes, for the Chargers? I hope not. Just not a WR1, and once again another season which lands him on the IR. The guy just can't stay healthy even though this was an unfortunate injury.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    Yes, but Freeney NEVER stepped back into coverage, and we wouldn't be asking Wynn to either.

But, I am excited about Keiser because I felt like in pre-season he played some damn good football. He can only rusht he QB though, not a specials teamer or a coverage guy.

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    BFTB doesn't consider the future much or ever really take into consideration things like contracts and pay.

The Giants just restructured Kiwianuka's contract this year to convert a chunk of 2013 salary to bonus money and spread the cap hit for that bonus money over the next/final two years of his contract because they're up against the cap trying to re-sign their own guys (Cruz, Nicks, etc.). If they were to trade him, that would all be for naught because Kiwi would account for a nearly $6 million dead money hit this year on their salary cap (no bueno, and I think it would put them over). They're not going to do that for a Day 3 or conditional draft selection, and there's no way in Hell we should be paying more than that (or really even that much) for a guy on the wrong side of 30 who is due an average of $4.5m over those next two years of his contract when we're not in the driver's seat for a playoff berth this season. That's literally doing the exact thing AJ and Numbnuts Beathard did to us by sacrificing the future to pay the present.

I'm honestly at the point right now where I hope they just shut Melvin down for the year and not bring him back off the PUP because he's likely to come into such a situation where the burden he'll be ask to shoulder what with all the injuries to the position that he'll have a considerably higher chance of re-injuring himself and then the future's up that brown-water creek along with the present.

14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Sounds like the Bolts are going to start English over on Freeney's side. If nothing else this is English's last chance.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    If for no other reason than he's in a contract year, too, I believe. Pretty sure he already met the parameters in his contract to void the final year on his rookie deal.

16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Might be his last year in the league if he doesn't pick it up.

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,755 / 39 / -8
    Nah... there is always Cleveland.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Good point. Not sure he was a Norv pick though. I'd say D.C. is more likely.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    And Indy. Grigson seems to love overpaying for middle-of-the-road talent in free agency and Manusky's there, too.

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Rivera was the DC when we picked English. I'd bet $$$ English was an AJ Special though.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +419 / 7 / -1
    I'm hopin Keiser can make an impact not just as a pass rusher but on STs too. English is a bust, face it he ain't never gonna do squat, he will not be a Bolt in 2014. Like Ant says throw Tourek and Keiser out there, let's see what they got.

22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    English has actually performed well. He is getting pressure, he just lacks pass rushing moves. So against elite OT's we'll have a tough time getting pressure.

Expect more blitzes from the ILB's, Te'o actually looked good on his blitzes in the limited time he got and blitzing up the middle is one of Butler's best attribute.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45 / 4 / -0
    I was going to point that out as well.. I was rewatched the game last night....