1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL DRaft Countdown new mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Feb 6, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

What I'd've done

30: Justin Blalock OG Texas
    Don't like Meachem that much. Blaylock is an absolute beast at RG and will be a huge upgrade over Goff
    62: Victor Abiamiri DE/OLB Notre Dame
    Fantastic Depth incredible pass rusher and good security if Phillips bolts in two years.
    94: Johnny Lee Higgins WR UTEP
    Speedy little receiver that will give us someone to stretch the field

2. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    Nice, i'm just doing positions we should get at that pick

30:OG or WR (we could try and trade up to try and get Calvin Johnson)
    62:I like the ILB pick Brandon Siler as cover for Donnie and Randall
    94: WR, we need some wide Recievers on this team

3. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Hey Anteater, what don't you like about Meachem

I know I'm biased, but that guy put up insane numbers in the SEC this past year. True, he had a very poor bowl game against Penn State, but his numbers were outstanding. He's got good size, good speed, and does great things after the catch too. Not saying you're wrong, but I value your opinion and just want to see where you feel he's deficient??

BTW, How's school??

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4

Speed primarily; we need a burner above all else. We don't need hands or route running or size or anything like that, because we have all those things on the team. If we don't have someone who has the speed to be a #1 and the ability to stretch, then we don't have a WR we need.

School's tough

5. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0

Hang in there with the school deal. Your analysis is fair enough on Meachem. He is kind of a tweener as far as speed is concerned. Fast straight-line speed, but not near as explosive as a Ginn or a Higgins.

6. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    I think you're over-valuing speed at the WR position. Yes, I'd love to have someone like a Higgins--especially for use on ST, but what we really need is a receiver who can get open, and that's not something that requires speed. Most of the best receivers in the NFL aren't speed burners. Sure, they're fast, but most of them weren't 4.4 guys in college.

7. TJBOLT

TJBOLT New Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

agree totally speed kills and we never had any since Anthony Miller

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,723 / 39 / -8

We need a true backup (and replacement) for Jamal.

9. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4

to be 100% honest I think Terell Sands could be that and looking purely on size in the draft I don't see many people with that size to be a dominating huge hoss in the draft. Sands has that already and has given lots of centers fits already.

10. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Bump

New update 2/17, same link

"30. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
    MICHAEL GRIFFIN S | Texas | Scouting Report
    Even though they are coming off a fantastic 14-2 season that doesn't mean that the Chargers are without needs and one of those is at safety, where Terrence Kiel is only average and recently got into some legal trouble and Marlon McCree did not live up to the expectations after signing as a free agent. Michael Griffin is the next in a long line of great Longhorn defensive backs and not only does he hit like a safety but he runs like a corner. Even though Vincent Jackson played pretty well down the stretch in his second year it's important to keep things in perspective and remember that in the end he only started eight games and finished the season with just 27 catches for less than 500 yards. Even if you do accept the premise that Jackson is a current or future #1 target for them there is still the need to add another top wideout because Eric Parker is average and Keenan McCardell finally started to show some signs of his age by notching his worst season since 1994 so guys like Robert Meachem and Sidney Rice are possible options too "

11. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0

Enter Stanley Doughty

This guy is one beefy mother****er who would get along with Jamal. I would take a shot in the 4th round-5th round and try to groom him. This is only if there are backups left on the board and AJ wants to pull **** out of his *** like he did with Kurt Smith last year. Boom or bust with this guy.

12. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    [​IMG]

Bring in the BEEF AJ you azzhole

13. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    :icon_shrug: So how do you plan to pick Abiamiri at #62 when he was picked at #48 in that mock?

Also no 3rd round in that mock

I also dont agree with this statement either. Brian Still was fast and all he could do was run straight and couldnt catch. He was as they call them....A BUST!

I know we need a guy to stretch the field but wholeheartedly dont agree that he only needs to be a sprinter. You cant seriously mean that.

14. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Ant I have followed Johnnie Lee Higgins since Day 1 and the Steve Smith comparisons are bullshit he is an Eric Parker clone with slightly better deep ball skills.

15. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    I am seeing more and more mocks predicting Russell to the Raiders.

I hope this happens. He's the next Ryan Leaf. Mark it down. A reputation for choking in big situations all the way until his final bowl game... bad attitude, makes bad decisions, known as aloof towards the media and even his teammates, he's a big guy with a big arm but he's no Vince Young or Daunte Culpepper. He's a bust waiting to happen.

16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    Simple
    Abiamiri, when I made that first post WEEKS AGO, was a late second. Obviously his status has shot up consdierably. I still say we need a DE/OLB prospect for some depth; all we got outside is Marques Harris. Polk belongs inside
    And Johnny Lee Higgins is no Bryan Still because JLH can actually run routes and CATCH it. I'm just saying with a WR the ONLY thing we need to add to our corps is SPEED and GREASY FAST SPEED at that, we got height and route running and hands, etc. we just don't have speed.

17. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0

I dont think Oakland will pick him and i dont care what all the mocks say right now. It is very early still , but Oakland has picked just ONE first round QB and that was Marajuanavich.

Al has passed on many good ones recently as well.

I do however think Russell could be better than Culpepper. He( Culpeper) just cant read defenses very well and i think Russell is better at it than he is but he doesnt have Culpeppers mobility.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    IMO, Russell's the epitome of a guy who needs to go to a team where he can sit his *** on the bench for two or three years before he sets foot on the field. But that's probably not going to happen. He'll go somewhere where he'll get thrown into the fire and flounder. He doesn't have the mobility of a Vince Young to make plays while he learns. And if he goes to a really bad team like the Raiders--guaranteed bust.

I think there's a real possibility that both Russell and Quinn drop down the draft board in the next few weeks. I'm starting to hear scouts comparing Quinn to Harrington, and they're talking about concerns about attitude with Russell.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    JaMarcus' success in the NFL will depend on where he goes. As far as physical ability he is probably the best quarterback I have seen in years. His arm strength is jaw dropping and he is a natural athlete. He would benefit greatly from a great QB coach and a veteran QB presence on a team with chemistry which will show him that the NFL is about hard work and not about cashing your check and performing like a *******... that's what the CFL is for. Surround him with good people and develop him in the right system and he will be an elite player.

As for Lady Quinn, again, it depends on where he goes. I will call Brady an 'elite system quarterback'.

I would rather the Raiders take Quinn.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Oh he's got a GREAT arm...maybe the best since Elway.

Any potential attitude problem would really scare me in a guy I'm about to offer a $60 million contract to...

21. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    I am not aware of any attitude problems :icon_shrug: It's obvious he's not a football freak like Rivers or someone but he might be one of those guys who just likes to have 'fun' on the field. He will never be a guy who will spend hours in the filmroom trying to improve but he is a read and react guy who can make big plays. Are there any black quarterbacks in the NFL who watch hours upon hours of film because they choose to? They are all gametime players who just go out on the field and do whatever. Russell will have a **** TD-INT ratio but will throw for a lot of yards and TDs if the raiders take him

22. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Anyway neither guy is going to be a 100+ QBR passer. Both will likely be in the 80's when they mature a bit. Trent Edwards is my #1 QB in this draft I think this guy is a gem.

23. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

Neither will be busts and will be solid QBs or stars. Quinn is a damn good leader, smart and is very athletic the guy reminds me of steve young/joe montanta/tom brady. He makes evryone around him better.

Jamarcus russel is the black version of carson palmer and will be a damn good QB he throws like him and reads defenses like him. Both are going to be a stars in the leauge. Russel can make an entire team better if you've seen him play. Quinn is just awsome as well either way your getting a good QB.

The thing about QBs drafted lately is they are so Nfl ready now they're making huge impacts and not showing the rookie in them.
    Quinn and russel are going to be huge stars.

24. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

if you go college to college on these guys. russel and quinn would both go over your boy rivers. They are both very efficent QBs and will be huge. The black thing is very ignorant dude. Vince young studys alot of film and so does lefwich. Russel i think is smarter and will be better then them. Quinn however will be the next tom brady/steve young.

25. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

LOL i highly doubt that. The raiders know how to win and will build around players. edwards though LOL Im going with quinn as the best QB with a close second to russel and stanton.

26. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Drew Stanton is a piece of ****. And if you want a real black quarterback go look at Warren Moon. Brady Quinn shows flashes of brilliance and then looks like a POS the next play.

27. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Not a chance!

I dont think these guys even compare to Rivers and i know you are only saying that because one of them could be a Raider.

This is a bunch of crap too. Eli stil sucks. Rothliberger had a horrible year, Harrington still sucks, Alex Smith isnt foing that great yet.

Young is coming around but Young is just an extrodinary athlete. Even in college he was a terrible passer his first year and he made huge strides the next season. He is just very gifted. Leinart will be a good one but other than those two....and Ben winning a SB even tho his stats werent that great, there hasnt been a QB that has shown to be "so NFL ready" and i dont think Russell will be at all.

28. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    why not meachem ant? i think hes top 3 wr in the draft...btw calvin isnt a 4.3 hes a 4.5....KFFL is unreliable

29. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    I don't see us drafting a "little receiver" for this offense. The first thing a guy has to do is block for LT. If SD goes WR on the first day, it will be one of the bigger dudes.

30. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Why do people think Higgins is "little" or is it just Ant? He is 5'11.5

Steve Smith and Santana Moss are 5'9 and 5'10 respectively.

Higgins is best suited in the slot just like Eric Parker is. All of these reports of him being an unpolished route runner are BS. The one thing he would bring to us is ability to contribute right away and return ability. Assuming we want to stick Parker in the slot where he belongs and have Jackson as the #1, we should bring in another big guy who has soft hands and can shield with his body. Our offense is all about quick passes, controlling the clock and wearing down the opposing defense.