1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nick Perry Is a must draft for us

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Feb 27, 2012.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    Besides his impressive collegiate career, i followed the combine and im liking what im seeing,
    40 yd dash- 4.64
    bench press-35
    vertical jump- 38.5
    broad jump-10'4

now lets look at his collegiate stats.
    in 2011 9.5 sacks, 54 tackles, and 3 pass deflections
    in 2010 4.0 sacks, 25 tackles, and 3 pass deflections

2. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19 / 1 / -0
    That cat blew up the combine, Dontari Poe also enjoyed his time there and will most likely be available at 25. Courtney Upshaw has slid down and will probably be available at 18 aswell. Melvin Ingram looks like he vaulted over us to around 10-12.

Any way you look at it there will be 1 or possibly more guys we covet at 18, so we should trade down to around 25, pick up an extra second (either this year or next depending on the new value chart) and still pick up a very quality prospect. That 2nd 2nd (if its next year) will make for a good strong safety.

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,231 / 37 / -21
    The combine improved my view of him a little, but the tape still speaks. I wish he showed a few more pass rush moves, and I don't see a lot of natural flexability and finish. Theres no other word for it, he seems stiff. There are a lot of times when he has his man beat in body position, but he can't get low enough to finish the play.

I still have him in my mock though, for now.

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    No one in this draft is a must draft, because this team needs to quit mortgaging the future on the present by trading up/blowing draft picks.

5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    I think in this draft a guarantee need to be addressed will be OLB - I wouldn't mind drafting down to a 22 spot and Cleveland jumping the board to 18 as long as Nick Perry, Vinny Curry, or Andre Branch will still be available which I think they will be if we move to 22, thats on AJ to make the calls to other GM's if there considering Perry or not.

Now just read this proposal..

I think AJ has to work his "magic", to me RG3 is going 4th overall to the Browns. Nobody is willing to give up their whole draft (two 1st rounders, a second and third rounder) for him. Mike Shanahan, Joe Philbin, Pete Carroll - none of those guys. Rams and the Vikes won't be drafting RG3 and I believe he falls to the Browns at 4.

Obviously Blackmon is going top 10. So the next BPA at wide out is Kendall Wright and Michael Floyd. And I think the Browns jump up to 18 to select Wright so they have the RG3 and Kendall Wright connection. Now we swap 1st rounders with the Browns AND 2nd rounders which means we get the 37th overall pick.

So if we can get Nick Perry AND Dontari Poe and all the sudden this is a defense for the future. This throws Garay to the curb who is 32 and had a very disappointing year compared to his 2010 year. Poe had an exceptionally well combine which rose his stock. But the power, speed, and explosion he showed makes him look like Haloti Ngata so much. Poe can clog up the middle gaps and really help in the run game. Something we absolutely sucked at this year.

6. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    I don't think Stephen Hill falls in the 3rd but if he is still there defiantly worth a draft pick. Same for Tommy Streeter, but it also matters what we do with our FA and in FA..

I don't think Patrick Crayton will be back. I will shoot myself if he does too. Time to move on, draft a receiver and develop him because Malcolm Floyd hopefully won't be back after 2012. Vincent Brown to me will a future #2, I see him more as a solid #3 receiver though in this offense. Joe Adams and Marvin McNutt if their there as well in the 3rd round we should take a look. I also would like to see Patrick Edwards and Devon Wylie in the later rounds but I feel like we'll need big receivers as #2's in this offense like Hill, Streeter, and McNutt..

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Poe is going top 25 now after his combine performance. Even though your selection trade is worth it from a "points" standpoint (18 to 22 is 120 points, 37 to 50 is 130 points), we aren't going to get your man at 37. Also, Tennessee is drafting at 21, and their biggest hole right now is also in their pass rush. If we trade back in the first, we're probably not going to Nick Perry.

Also, St Louis is for sure going to move the pick. It may not be to Cleveland, but Washington will go for RGIII, especially after the combine he just put out. Washington won't be giving up their whole draft, as this is a trade for the 2, and not the 1. Washington is likely going to give up a 1 this year, a 1 next year, and a midround pick this year, much like the Chargers did in 2004. This isn't the 2011 Falcons' trade, as it's only a matter of 5 slots.

I like where your head is at as far as the type of players you want, but we aren't going to get both of those guys this year unless we trade up a bunch of picks to move our 2nd into the 1st round. Also, if Floyd and Wright are on the board at 18, why would the Browns need to move up? Of Chicago, Tennessee, and Cincinatti, only Chicago is likely to be looking at a WR, and then only if they don't sign one in FA.

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Brown is a prototypical number 2. He's a possession receiver, in every sense. What the team doesn't have on the roster is a slot guy who can get good YAC running slants.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    It all depends what teams do in FA.

Jets- I think need a WR, Plaxico is gone so Michael Floyd could fit there. But they also need a pass rusher. I don't think they select one in the first round and they either opt for FA or later in the draft to address that. I think the main thing for them is to get Mark Sanchez weapons. So that leaves Kendall Wright BPA at wideout and the Bears could select him.

Titans - Will select Whitney Mercilus I think, they need a upgrade at DE without a doubt and their's your pass rusher as well.

Redskins - I just don't see them giving up that much for RG3. I think they'll move down get a few picks and select Tannehill. But also if Manning, who is making progress ahead of time will be in FA he'll most likely go to Miami. So Matt Flynn in Washington will defiantly be considered heavily. And they'll want to protect him and have Riley Reiff at #7.

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +528 / 13 / -3
    Yes. Your points are valid, but I think guys like Streeter or Hill if they are there its too much to pass up in the 3rd or 4th round. I really like Patrick Edwards out of Houston. Devon Wylie improved at the combine and also Travis Benjamin could be another slant route runner.

I just don't want Crayton back.. I think Walters could be a better player than Crayton was in this offense and special teams..

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Well... not quite. Tennessee's biggest hole right now is that Eugene Amano is their center. He was the picture of an average-level guard, but he's a god-awful center. The Titans are the absolute floor for the first center to come off the board (unless whoever drafts Decastro intends to play him at center, which is entirely possible); former OL coach (and HOF OL) at Head Coach, just invested a ton of money into a RB they need to ensure they get maximum ROI out of. I could see an argument for someone like Perry or Mercilus in the 1st to them, but they need interior OL help and there's a higher likelihood of getting a meaningful rookie minute DE in the 2nd at #21 than a starting capable center. This could all change if they sign Scott Wells from Green Bay (who is originally from Tennessee), but Munchak and Bruce Matthews have always been advocates of homegrown OL.

I do agree that one of Washington or Miami are most likely to move up to #2 in a trade with the Rams, though for differing reasons. Shannahan needs success this season. This will be his 3rd season in place and he's yet to lift them from well below average. I know some still think that Peyton's going to end up in one of those spots, but I'm taking nothing for granted. RG3 fits almost every facet of what Shanny loves (mobile, throws well on the run/bootleg, strong arm, good football IQ). For Miami, it's less about what Joe Philbin wants and more about what owner Stephen Ross wants; and Ross wants/needs a face of the franchise that he can market around.

One other thing I'd point out, not from your post specifically but from a response that was made to it, is that the "pairing of rookie QB's and WR's from the same program" approach is a road so very rarely taken. It sounds nice in theory, but it just isn't all that likely to be seen - and it's certainly not like teams haven't had the opportunity plenty of times in the past.

12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I don't really see a correlation between college pairings and NFL pairings. The players might have chemistry, but the match is never going to work in the NFL the way they might have in the college ranks. Completely agree with you, on that one.