1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nike's High School Football Commercials

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BengalFan, Sep 28, 2005.

1. BengalFan

BengalFan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey,

Whats up with nike trying to get into the whole high school scholastic, value thing on sports. Dont they realize they changed the face of sports by signing lucrative shoe contracts, never every kid in North America that can dribble or run a football thinks Nike is gonna give him a $1oo million deal.

This is a farce. Check out their latest add here:
    http://www.nike.com/nikegridiron/?l...vid&promoID=USGR_em_09272005_newsletter#icons

It almost makes me sick to think of the advertising guyy who came up with this scheme. Nike was NOT good for sports. Maybe the technology has helped extend the career of some pro athletes but what about all the guys it gave the idea to skip coillege and go pro, only to never make the big show? What about kis who blow off college and a chance at a real future?

Please give me your feedback. I know Nike is a big dog, but i think this is even too far a stretch for even them.

What do you think?
  2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    This defintely sends the wrong message to kids in every grade level. There are only so many kids that make the pro level and but these huge corporations are making it look like anyone can be the next Jordan or Vick by just playing well in high school.

What Nike and other show companies are encouraging is playing as an individual in a team sport. That why we see all these high school kids coming into the NBA not knowing how to play team ball. But more importantly, these kids are so focused and reliant on making it straight to the pros that these don't plan for anything else but sports. No higher education and no job in the real world.

Unfortunately, the high schools and colleges know all about this and won't do anything to discourage it. It always comes down to money and greed. As a mentor and teacher, you should give sound advice to these kids and let them know that they can have a career in sports but also have a college education.

At the same time, parents are the most influential to their children. They have to encourage them to go into college and teach them the reality that most kids don't make it to the pros.

All Nike and other shoe companies cares about is selling shoes and making as much money as possible. So until parents and schools rally to stop their marketing tactics towards kids, they will continue to do what they do. :angry:
  3. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, many high school students are too consumed and exposed to materialistic and trendy values that they have become faceless/blind to the fact they are being targeted by advertisements such as that. Of course, how many can actually afford to buy Nike or someone elses athletic gear without their parents? This ad is prehaps about as bad as cigarette advertisements to suck kids into their market.

Not many kids at that age have no clues what lies ahead for them. Playing professional sports for the fame, glory, bling-bling, and money is what gets projected and they absorb it without thinking that something else can easily sidetrack that dream (not goal). They don't consider that if I play pro football I can be great forgetting there is an entire nation with the same dream. They don't realise that kids making it in pro basketball are very few and are perhaps lucky for having that given talent.

Fortunately there are the good ones like Joe Paterno who encourages grades and a certain career future before being a potential pro athlete. He knows that things happen, the pro career sometimes does not work out, and a career outsides sports as a first choice is critical rather than being a backup plan. Yes, mentors and examples are needed at the high school and college levels to wake these kids up before they get absorbed by false hopes in a TV advert.

Shame on Nike for delivering false dreams and goals. The only team kids don't see in the ads are the advertising execs planning these avenues to Letdown Boulevard.

Good topic! That's my 2 cents.