1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. X FACTOR

X FACTOR In for Life.........

Ratings:
    +180 / 8 / -0
    Just one to make you ask..........

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    Now, you're quoting from Bleacher Report??? :roflmao:

You can't deny that Rivers has stumbled of late, but there were certainly things that contributed to him forcing the issue. The last two seasons, we had the colossal special teams fiasco followed by the Manusky meltdown. It's not surprising that Rivers felt the need to try to do too much on his own. Trying to overcompensate for the shortcomings of the other aspects of the team led to throwing ill-advised passes.

I feel better about Rivers this year (despite some hiccups), because the other two units have been solid for the most part. If Rivers doesn't have to try to makeup for special teams gaffs, or a porous defense, then he can play within himself more. Having Gaither protecting his blindside should help. A clean pocket, and a balanced team will help Rivers to avoid forcing the issue and making bad plays.

3. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Only when it's a decent article. They're few and far between on BR, but that one made some good points (though the throwing Charger beads on to the Mannings' lawn was a bizarre pussy move that dude should bury in his past rather than advertise).

Rivers interceptions have been poor choices. And Rivers still hasn't shown he's a guy that can be trusted in clutch situations. Some of that can be put on the OL obviously, none on the D or ST. If his 'feeling' that he has to 'do it all' is causing him to play like ****, well sorry, but that's a **** excuse. Conversely, his OLmen playing matador with opposing DEs and LBs is a very real problem.

4. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    Meanwhile in a tidbit from Bronco Billy Williamson:
    Will San Diego continue to start fast? While the other three AFC West teams have had their challenges in the first quarter, San Diego has flourished. It hopes to do the same Sunday night at 0-4 New Orleans. According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Chargers have outscored their opponents by 25 points in the first quarter this season. That is the best in the NFL.

Bottom line is we are 3-1 with lots of room to improve. Most of it is depending upon player health IMHO. Very much looking forward to V. Brown's return to the receiving corps - think this was supposed to be his breakout year before the ankle. :(

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    Forcing balls is always a "poor choice"....... that doesn't change the motivation behind the poor decision. If Rivers doesn't feel pressured to try to do too much (and isn't under literal pressure), then he'll be less apt to make poor decisions. Doesn't that follow?

Eli is "elite" because he's won two Super Bowls...... that doesn't change the fact that he makes just as many (if not more) ill-advised throws than Rivers. As far as I'm concerned, fans over emphasize Rivers' mistakes because he hasn't won a championship. If you win, fans forget a lot of your faults.

FYI: Rivers is #4 in completion percentage at 69.0...... can't say he's made that many bad decisions with the football this year. Rodgers is #1 with a 69.9 completion percentage. He's thrown 3 INTs to Rivers' 4.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    I'd like to get Wright back as well....... the kid was looking good this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +836 / 54 / -42
    Jeeeezus Crikey's X ..............................is Gooey writing your posts these days ????

8. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +836 / 54 / -42
    Well is goes without saying that winning cures all ill's Blew, but the simple facts are there for all to see ..............Eli's WON, River's hasn't, there is no argument here as to who most peeps would rather QB'ing their team.....................but what many conveniently forget is that NO one player is ever responsible for a WIN, regardless of how well they have played as a individual in that game................TEAM's WIN games based on the collective individual performances during that 2 hours of game time, its pretty simple really if anyone cares to look at it realistically.

Sure Eli makes mistakes, so did Montana, Young, Bradshaw and Aikman...................but they were/still all great players involved in great teams and thats why they won when it counted most..............

I love Rivers, you're well aware of that, but he is showing signs of frustration these last 2 years and that comes when a player is feeling the clock ticking down and is desperate for success, he hasn't shown the patience he once did and I believe that all comes about because the guy is such a competitor that hates losing far more than many of his teamates unfortunately.

He just needs to have a little more trust in those around him, his confidence has definetely taken a beating over the last 18 months though and that in no small part could well be attributed to not having a running game to alleve the pressure, plus I have to believe that the coaching itself isn't helping a guy with his type attitude either.

This team's ability to achieve success in the last 6 years has always rested on River's shoulders ...............that isn't about to change anytime soon, so he needs to trust in himself and teamates or it's going to be another Ho-Hum season from what I can tell thus far.

9. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +836 / 54 / -42
    YEP, liked what I saw in him, though fleeting....................but because we are soooooooooooo desperately in need of a good CB, I'm willing to annoit anyone at this stage, hoping he's the next Darrell Green....... ;)

10. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +836 / 54 / -42

A very good comparison Poofessoria.....

11. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +836 / 54 / -42
    I'm sticking with the "Gooey is ghostwriting" theory myself.

12. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +836 / 54 / -42
    Do they "square dance" on that shite-show ?

And as long as he can have a prop (as in a piece of straw in his mouth), he'd be a short priced favorite I bet !!!

13. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +836 / 54 / -42
    Huh ???????

Which one ???? :D

(I see no resemblance in either to be honest)

Funny story though .....................

One of the other drivers came back to base the other day and was laughing his arse off......

Turns out he went into one of his daily stores and had to listen to one of the girls in there ramble on about how "the guy who'd been relieving for him while on Holidays", reminded her of George Clooney..........

We both laughed so hard we nearly shite our pants ...............

Now he just comes back and raises his eyebrows when I ask him how "she's" doing ........................ she keeps asking him "when he is going on Holidays next" ........ hahahahahahahahahahahaa.

14. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +836 / 54 / -42
  15. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +836 / 54 / -42
    Exactly Ringo .................... we are all well aware of the "other issues" that make Rivers job that much harder than many other QB's................but that being said, the things that Ive seen which are of concern, have nothing to do with anyone by PRiv himself.
    Doesn't have the quickest release in the history of the game I think we'd all agree on, and that really hurts when you need that one-step drop and lightning pass from the 5 yard line and in ..............

Our Red Zone Offense is truely sickening compared to most teams ..............I never ever feel confident we are gonna score when lined up at the 1-5 line ................and thats bullshit, any Pro team should be able to come up with a single play to score from that distance, especially ONE that has been around the game coaching for 30 years. :mad:

PRiv's Shot Put action is definetely detrimental to quick slants into the EZ ................that needs to be addressed ASAP.

16. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -2
    When PR was drafted, one of the points he was highly touted on was his quick release despite his unconventional style and also his accuracy was not an area of major concern. In fact, back in 2010 when VJayJay was sitting at home playing with his PS3/XBox/Wii, PR was hitting a multitude of no name receivers all over the field.

A few posts back, Blew Balls offered a pretty well put together argument as to what the contributing factors were/are to PR's sub par 2011 and current season. With that said, let us not forget that athletic prowess and performances drop off with age. 30 YO is not old by any means and may be considered a peaking age for a potentially "elite" NFL QB. However IMHO, given the fact that PR does not have and never had the arm strength to compensate for his deficiencies, his waning prowess in terms of accuracy and his poor decision making process are nonetheless very alarming.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    When did you turn into an old woman? No offense, but you're exaggerating again.

Our red zone offense is hardly the worst in the league. We struggled in the 1st game against the Raiders, but Norv was very conservative with the lead. Still, we're #16 in scoring TDs in the red zone this season (52.94% converting TDs)....... hardly, the bottom of the league. If you look at the last 3 games, we're converting 66.67%. In the last game against the Chiefs, we converted 75% of our red zone chances. Our percentage is getting better, not worse.

18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Yeah, Meacham sure hasn't impressed, but like you say, offense isn't necessarily the issue. Just need Rivers & Mathews to keep possession on offense, and the D to keep improving.

19. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    :eek::confused::speechless: since when is offending Jack an issue?!?!?! (or any of us offending any other of us for that matter...)

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I think Meachem runs too fast for Rivers' arm. ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    It follows only if it's okay for Rivers to cave under mental pressure. I get Rivers caving under a pass rush. Hell sometimes it looked like he faced what Kolb had to last night. But making mental mistakes because of mental issues is a helluva lot more correctable.

As far as the other QBs, I'd be concerned if I was a Packers fan, especially with their big play D that allows a lot of..big plays. And Eli sucks (well okay, he's mediocre). Dude would be nowhere without the front 7 playing like it did in playoffs those 2 years.

22. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Agreed.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    That was a little joke....... I'd just called him an old woman, did I not? ;)

24. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    I think we're stuck with his passing motion. But hell, the guy had a few great years and is now entering prime age for a non-running QB. No reason why he can't his mojo back. Wifey just has to supply a bit more relaxation techniques without the threat of additional children 9 months post-release ;)

25. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Sure, but he likes them ;)

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    Eli is the Anti-Romo........ he sucks, except when it counts. Romo wets the bed when the game is on the line. ;)

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    He likes them, because they remind him of himself. :D

28. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    That's true unfortunately. The bastage does perform well in clutch situations.

29. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    He is a fargin narcissist isn't he?

30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Jack since you're not looking at your PMs: