1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    :confused:
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    It's not semantics if the deteriorating O-line is effecting Rivers performance...... it's significant. When you're not a mobile QB, the quality of your O-line protection is even more important. Rivers can't scramble effectively, so if his protection collapses, he's a dead duck.
  3. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    Sir!

I like ducks, ducks are friends of mine (culinarily speaking) Blew Balls, Fillup is no duck!
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Ducks are expensive........ I saw one at the meat market that was $50, and it was frozen. Nice and big, but at that price, I'll order it out. ;)
  5. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    But again, that's nothing new, he's NEVER been able to avoid any type of Pass Rush due to his lack of mobility, so why is it being made such an issue right now ?????

Rivers has in the past been able to overcome a weak OLine, my question these days is this ....... Why can't he now ?
  6. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Duck done properly is one of the most delish meals you'll ever taste, just a beautiful sweet tasting meat ........ Had it one night at the Country Club where my golf buddy lives in Jupiter, Florida.......

Lets just say this ........ Glad I wasn't paying the bill that evening.
  7. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
  8. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    So did I read somewhere that Ed Reed is now available to play this week ?

cool, don't like playing teams with all there stars missing ....... Ravens have surprised me a little I must admit, with the year long injuries they suffered early, must be nice to have 2nd teamers come in and actually make a mark, wonder what that's like ?
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    My point was simple....... this O-line (minus Gaither now) is the worst line has played behind. It started last season, with the loss of the left side of the line. In the past, he at least had Dielman and a younger Hardwick. McNeill when he was healthy-ish, was at least serviceable. The right side was the weak part of the line.

Now, the whole group is weak...... there's not a single strength to this current line. Surely, even you, can see that simple fact. ;)
  10. X FACTOR

X FACTOR In for Life.........

Ratings Received:
    +176 / 8 / -0
    Evening guys.
  11. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    I think where we tend to differ slightly is that I've been saying for some time that our OLine has been terrible, whereas you tend to think they have been serviceable.

I look now and see an even worse and aged OLine and an older, mentally frazzled, skills deteriorating QB that may have well seen his "best days" in this business.......

Nothing major ofcourse, just an opinion and like all we discuss in here, time will tell us who has seen things in a more realistic light sometime down the line. :)
  12. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Hey X ....... You risen to the position of Grand Poobah yet ?

When can we see the fuzzy hat with the horns like Freddy Flintstone used to wear ?
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Rivers may be mentally worn down due to repeated hits, but I'd bet with a better line that he would have a fairly rapid recovery. Your diagnosis is less optimistic than mine.
  14. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    Hey X. My son-in-law spent his afternoon into early evening smoking a huge turkey breast and a spiral cut ham. We are going to have him deliver it to his Mom & Dad early in the morning. She had a pair of strokes earlier this year and cooking her traditional Thanksgiving feast is now out of the question. In the morning, we will fire up my little smoker and spend the day duplicating that effort for the Pondee. Having Heidi's Mom and the daughter's family of six here will pretty well fill up our big old dining table. ;)

What are your plans for tomorrow?
  15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    18 alerts?? I wonder why that is....

Games tomorrow:
    Texans
    Skins
    Pats
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    :sleep:
  17. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Possibly, but 2 rivalries and maybe (?) the Lions show up...
  18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    I played QB in the sandlot too ;)
    (can't believe Jack let that one go....)
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Acee: Time for Bolts to lock up high-impact Butler

It doesn’t matter who is the coach or general manager, the cornerstones of the Chargers defense for the next several years need to be set.

The Chargers made Eric Weddle their Ed Reed. They now need to make Donald Butler their Ray Lewis.

Don’t make the mistake that I said either Chargers defender has ascended to the level of the two Baltimore Ravens. Rather, understand what Weddle and Butler are becoming.

They are the lifeblood, the stoppers, the difference makers and the best players on the Chargers defense.

Weddle was voted to his first Pro Bowl last year, the first season of a five-year, $40 million deal. Butler is his second season on the field (after missing his entire rookie year to injury), playing every down now, consistent and even spectacular.

If he is not playing in the Pro Bowl this year or next, it’s because the rest of the Chargers let him down by losing too many games. He will certainly get votes from the players and coaches he’s faced.

Virtually guaranteed, Butler won’t go into next season without at least turning down an attractive contract offer. His contract runs through 2013, so there isn’t necessarily urgency before the spring.

But there should be.

It’s early in the process, but it gets late quickly.

Also – and now permit me to speak directly to A.J. Smith – there might be no better time.

Let the extension of Butler serve to remind people that you are still capable of drafting a difference maker.

Because I don’t see a whole lot of them out there right now.

Go back to the 2007 draft.

Smith just converted to the dark science of free agency this year, and that hasn’t worked out so far.

So we have to look at the draft when evaluating how he’s built a team.

Butler is not the lone example of the Chargers’ personnel boss making a quality pick that has paid off in the past five years, but he's close.

Even if we see progress in 2012 first-round pick Melvin Ingram and second-round pick Kendall Reyes and preach patience for the day third-rounder Brandon Taylor will even be active, the five drafts before this past April’s produced little fruit.

Of the 14 players the Chargers selected in the first three rounds between 2007 and 2011, 11 remain with the team. Just six of the 14 have started a significant number of games.

For comparison, I did the same examination of those drafts for the seven teams who have won more games than the Chargers since A.J. Smith took over as general manager in 2003 and/or have won Super Bowls in that span.

None of those teams netted fewer starters from among their picks in the first three rounds. Just two of the teams have retained fewer players.

Take the success of those seven teams and understand that 24 teams in the NFL have had less success than the Chargers during Smith’s tenure. And, in fact, only the New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers have gone longer without having a losing record than the Chargers’ current streak of eight seasons.

I’ve often given Smith credit for his predominant role in turning around the Chargers. I think many people forget this was by some measure the worst franchise in football from 1996 through 2003.

But the Chargers’ recent success is becoming less recent.

Remember when Smith had drafted more Pro Bowlers than any other G.M.? Of late, as the playoff drought is threatening to extend to three years, the focus is on the team’s dearth of playmakers.

If things are going to turn around, they need some more of them.

They definitely have one in Butler. So sign him while you can, A.J.
  20. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
    Houston* @ Detroit
    Washington @ Dallas*....... I don't see all the home teams going down tomorrow! :eek:
    New England* @ NY Jets
  21. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
    Blue! I love the sig!:D

[​IMG]
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    It seemed a good time for a change.
  23. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    Acehole must have been having a lonesome spell to come up with all that crapola :rolleyes:

I agree wholeheartedly with the notion of re signing and locking up Butler, but then again all this crap about AJ's prowess in turning around the Chargers, yada, yada, yada is becoming more than nauseating at this stage. AFAIK, we were in a pathetic divi with pathetic QBs running our rivals and as soon as the Donkos picked a future HOF QB, they have all but wrapped up the divi already. Yeah we were the one eyed King in a divi of blind losers! So? That gravy train left the station 3 years ago :mad:

The 2012 draft may very well turn out to be Smith's best draft since 2007 and he may very well have picked a few (very few, I might add) nuggets here and there in between, but all this garbage "facts" which Acehole has presented us with does not exonerate AJ from being canned immediately after week 17. With AJ's poor reputation because of his abrasive and uncouth personality, we will never land a top tier FA nor a top tier coach. Spanos's reputation is sullied (or solid if you like a loser) already, so we don't need this farging Albatross and his dumb-dumb HC around our necks anymore.

Good riddance and take Acehole with yer too, I sayz :poop:
  24. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    If you think those 3 are "sleepers", I'd hate to try and find an appropriate smiley to do justice to what the Chargers / Ravens will be .......

Hoping that Brady can put up 60 against Sexy Rexy's retards ..........................man, cant believe the Gronkster broke an arm while out there on a PAT attempt, that sucks.

OK, so
    Seriously Pump, your fargin' scarying me. :ninja:

I, like PUMP, don't see ALL HOME teams going down, but unlike his Cowgals worshipping arse, I think the Lions may be good for an upset..................therefore, my picks look like this.

Lions
    Skins
    Pats.
  25. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Huh ???.................can't believe I missed what exactly ????

You've lost me !!!
  26. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Oh sure it did .......

Wouldn't have anything to do with Super Melvin & Larry the Illegit, looking more like Smoke & Mirrors would it ???? ;)
  27. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    YEP, I'd have no problem signing Butler ASAP ................ we gotta keep Anderson Coopers boyfriend around though, if you think its boring now, imagine what it would be like with no Acee around ?
  28. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Just checked the FF scores from last week .....................damn PUMP, I got rather close in the end, you got lucky my D had a day off and that Gore wasnt needed like usual or I'd have whooooped your saggy arse.

Al Abbas is about to feel the full force of the Spoogers though this week ............... mind you, how the hell do I replace all the starters that have "Owieee's" ???? :eek:
  29. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
    Ok Norv..................

Sent from my Mobile Zin finder!
  30. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
    I say any upset will be the skins!

Sent from my Mobile Zin finder!