1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    So, you're saying that the argument begins and ends at Norv's 57-42 (nearly best ever) Charger record,
    and Occam won't allow you to consider any clouding or cluttering of that fact? Interesting.

(or would this be a good time for some obfuscation?)
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    I think he meant that he finds arguing with you to be tiresome...... though, I don't want to mischaracterize what he meant. I might be wrong with my assumption. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Wow! :eek: Nice to see you again, too, Blue.
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Hey, when people start mentioning brevity, that's usually a hint that you're being a tad longwinded. ;)
  5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Well, since I was being schooled on how well known it was that Norv sucked,
    it seemed like a timely occasion to mention that a "lucid" (in his words)
    explanation would be really, really welcome (not to mention long overdue).
    If that sort of thing is frowned upon here, I can stick to regurgitating the memes! :)

"NORV SUCKS!! IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO OBVIOUS ("self-evident" ?), DUMMIES!!!" :tup:
  6. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    You are rather cute, so I encourage you to look up Norf's W-L as HC of both Skins & Raiders. To be fair, I did mention Norf's tenure as HC of the other teams too. Further for the sake of simplicity, just look up his record in the last two seasons, plus the current season which the Chargers have not and will not make the POs. This whole story which AJ Smith was selling to the media/fans ever since 2006, stating that everyone is a Charger for one season at a time, plus the objective is to get into the POs by any means necessary, turned out to be pure crock of sheet.

As for your precious 57-42 argument, also consider the fact that the AFCW has been and still is one of the most pathetic divi's in Football. What part of that 57-42 is against teams with winning records? If any of the other divi rivals (up to last season) had a QB worth a lick, you wouldn't be flashing your beloved ace-up-your-sleeve, "Norf's Chargers record"!

Lastly as a reminder, you and I got into a discussion about my ripping of Rygina at the beginning of the season. How's that working out for you now? ;)
  7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    If you're asking if I still expect Mathews to excel in this league, the answer is yes. Absolutely.
    He's too fast, too quick and runs too hard to not succeed as soon as there are actually holes to hit.

As far as your lengthy, complicated, now decidedly anti-Occam response to Norv's actual Charger record,
    you've made my point for me. It isn't really about his results like you first said...that's why you're
    dragging up a bad team on the East Coast 18 years ago and your personal interpretations of what
    Smith may've meant when he cryptically said about someone being a Charger a year at a time. I remember
    Occam's Razor pretty well...but not the part about cherry picking stats that suggest that a Charger
    coach is horrible, and excluding those that say he isn't. There's nothing wrong with jumping to emotional
    conclusions, and then trying to defend them by bending the data. But my initial request was for a rational
    explanation of how Norv deserves the blame for the team's many recent failures. 57-42.

(it's almost as if I could predict the switch from Occam simplicity to 'perceived strength of the AFC West' obfuscation...) ;)
  8. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    1- Too fast, too quick, runs hard. Check. In this league, he needs to remain healthy and hold onto the ball. He has failed where men are separated from boys, so far. Let's shore up the OL and give him the holes to hit to demonstrate his talents, but ball protection and pass protection as his skill set and repertoire indicate toward worrying weaknesses.

2- Nothing anti-Occam about my previous post. How was I bending the data? You brought up 57-42 and I simply pointed out to his losing record as a HC over the 2010, 2011 and the 2012 seasons. You go ahead and stroke Norf's record for all I care! There are 3 more games left, so at best he'll leave the Chargers with a record of 60-42 and at worst, with a record of 57-45. Since both the best and worst case scenarios are still in his (and by extension to your) favor as far as W-L is concerned, in the immortal words of the great Charlie Sheen, W I N N I N G! :rolleyes:
  9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Jiu jitsu means 'gentle way' in Japanese. So are you insulting Lance, complimenting him, or trying to pick him up?

Or all three?
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Running back injuries are the norm in this league...ask the rest of the division.
    (Remember all the McFadden hype? Drafted much higher, averaging 200 yards a season less than RM, due to injuries)
    Fumbling early in one's career is also common...ask LT & AP
    The important thing is that (cross fingers) we're seeing improvement in both areas.

I don't know what you think you're winning. First you said it was simple. Then it became about all kinds
    of things--and the kitchen sink--to explain why Norv's record isn't as good as it looks.
    So, would you fire all Charger coaches with a lesser record than Norv's?
  11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Ah, so you're hitting on him.
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    You know, I've never posted my pic here...yet somehow they know... (about the cuteness) :rolleyes:
  13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    It's the Bambi Factor.
  14. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    I'm not winning! I'm losing. My team is a LOSER. Norf is the WINNING! He is the one with the 57-42 record. Remember?
  15. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    I'm Brazilian Jiu Jitsuing Lance. Yer cretin! :D
  16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Ah, all groundwork. ;)
  17. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Thought for sure that McCartney would work Hey Jude into that set.
    Kind of strange to end with a song that had nothing to do with New Jersey..
  18. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    I don't give a toss about McFadden. On CMB, I used to defend Rygina by (wrongly) paralleling him with LT's fumbling issues and I hope I do not burn in Hell for disrespecting and comparing Rygina to anything LT! # 24 could not carry # 21's jockstrap AFAIAC, so my profuse apologies to LT for my blasphemy. If LT fumbled in the first couple of years, he also had multiple 100 yards games plus many more TD's to boot. This is something which you Rygina apologists ought never bring into the LT vs Rygina argument.
  19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Umm...okay...listen, I haven't had a drop of alcohol (or any drug, for that matter)
    in over a week, so I don't think I'm in a good position to follow your unique reasoning.
    As long as you declare that Norv is to blame for the players blowing leads
    this season, well, who needs "lucid" support of that assertion?
    There's really no reason for me to get all "facty," is there? Blow those clouds, my friend. Blow on...
  20. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    Let's just keep it mysterious. Why disappoint us by showing reality? Mystery lubricates the limbic system :roflmao:
  21. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
  22. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    You like that? ;)
  23. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    Ever heard of sheet rolling downhill? There is the lucidness you were looking for ;)
  24. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Didn't like the McCartney set, eh?
  25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    I'm not an "apologist." I'm a hardcore fan of many decades who is assessing RM
    against the hundreds of other young running backs I've seen. I have no stock in him.
    Hell, I wanted the Chargers to draft Dwyer! But to dismiss the McFadden comparison makes no sense:
    LT was a special talent who enjoyed freakishly good health--that is not the NFL norm at all...
    not even close. The reality is that running backs lose games to injury all the time in this league:
    McFadden sat for 9 straight games last season, Jamaal Charles missed 14, etc. These are Mathews' peers...
    not LT or some mythical back who never gets injured. Yes, he's been hurt more than any Charger fan
    wants...but less than a lot of other guys out there.
  26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    I'll thank you to keep your lubrication to yourself...
  27. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    You brought LT into it and got bitten :D
  28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Ummm...okay...I promise that if Pizza Hut accidentally replaces my regular mushrooms
    with the psilocybin :rolleyes: variety, I will go back and re-read your posts with the requisite
    "insight." And "we will all be one." (until that happens, though, I'll probably just think you're nuts)
  29. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
    Course I will! My lube is some expensive sheet, I'll let you know ;)
  30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    The problem with the Mathews pick is that he was injured a lot in college. AJ rolled the dice on that one. So far he has in return one good season out of three, paid for with a 2nd round draft pick. Right now it looks like a bad gamble.

Maybe Mathews reels off some good seasons. We all hope so. But at this point any objective analysis would suggest the odds are against it (based upon his injury history in college and the pros).