1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    That's why your argument falls apart....... it doesn't matter what John may've wanted, AJ called the shots on draft day. If you can't grasp that simple truth, then I can't help you.

2. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +76 / 3 / -0
    I agree. But rumor has it he'd bring Jim Tomsula along as HC. I'd prefer to go with an offense minded HCand let Pags keep the D. If he could go with that, I'm all in.

3. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +354 / 11 / -6
    So AJ did what John told him to do! :roflmao:

Maybe I am crazy to think AJ did what AJ wanted to do!

4. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    Memory fades and fails - but didn't Buddy and AJ have a falling out right after AJ moved up in the draft to take Jacob Hester, (AJ later explained he was impressed by Hester on his OWN visits to LSU)... Because that area was traditionally Buddy's, even when they were with the Bills, I always suspected that drafting Hester was behind Buddy's sudden decision to "retire" only to go on to assume GM of the Bills...

Regardless - I'm tickled that both of them are now gone.

5. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    Rumor also has it that the decision on the HC will be made by committee rather than solely by the new GM by himself - that is Dean's way of doing business and I'm not so sure I agree with it - but imagine he is trying to assure its an "informed" decision and not one based upon personal relationships. He has been burned pretty good by giving his last one too much power after promoting him based on John Butler's dying recommendation.

Funny, AJ will now have to go through another first - actually trying to sell himself to a team owner for the first time.

6. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +354 / 11 / -6
    Dean said in his Press Conference that the HC will be by committee, not just by the new GM.

7. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    Ayup - I'd say that was a pretty good "rumor" wouldn't you Pumpy! :D

OBTW, I also got a kick out of Blewy's New Years image of you - - - took a few minutes for my eyes to recover. ;)

8. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +354 / 11 / -6
    Blewy is the man! I asked Blue if would please help me out and he scored a TD!

I sent that to a special friend a big hit! Very sick tho so I'll have to wait for my party! :(
    I was told it was very cute! :) and that she :roflmao:??? hahahahaha

9. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    You and Blue both need to be well - do whatcha gotta do to get squared away for 2013.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    Too late, it's already 2013. ;)

11. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    So - you plan to spend all of it recovering from your in-law's poison? ;)

~~~

Bill Johnston@ChargersPRguy
    Exclusive Interview with Ron Wolf http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Exclusive-Interview-with-Ron-Wolf/fd41d7f2-fffa-41af-83b4-fbc2749b1cdf?campaign=sd:fanshare:twitter … via @Chargers

Basically more about the intended "process", (there is that word again). :cautious:;)

~~~

UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    @JasonLaCanfora: Add another strong name to Chargers GM search: Colts granted permission to SD to interview exec Tom Telesco” >That's five.

Who are 5 GM candidates? >Steve Keim (AZ), Tom Gamble (SF), Dave Caldwell (ATL), Tom Telesco (IND) & Jimmy Raye (SD).

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    I figure, that if I take a little at the time, I should be immune to that particular poison. ;)

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    Handful of GM candidates in Chargers' mix

Jimmy Raye will be interviewed this week as a candidate to fill the Chargers' vacancy at general manager.
    But as has been the plan all along, the team's current director of player personnel will not be the only candidate.

The team has received permission to interview at least three other personnel men around the league, said a source familiar with the search. A fourth man, Matt Russell, Broncos director of player personnel and top assistant to executive vice president of football operations John Elway, declined its interview request.

The number of known outside candidates for the Chargers' GM position is four when including Tom Telesco, the Colts' vice president of football operations who will reportedly interview for the position.

The others are 49ers Director of Player Personnel Tom Gamble, Falcons Director of Player Personnel David Caldwell, and Cardinals Vice President of Player Personnel Steve Keim.

All four received promotions before the season.

Consent letters to interview them were sent out to their teams Monday.

Gamble, son of former Eagles president and GM Harry Gamble, grew up around the game and has a well-rounded portfolio, including experience in pro scouting, college scouting, NFL coaching and contract negotiations, that makes him an intriguing candidate around the league. He is in his 24th NFL season.

Last April, the 49ers promoted him from his position as director of pro personnel.

While Gamble is a regarded candidate among NFL executives, Chargers President Dean Spanos wouldn't say Monday if he'd be here, citing the privacy of the process.

"I'm not going to give out any names, but you can clearly see why," Spanos said. "There's so many teams looking for general managers and coaches. It could be a disadvantage to give out all your names."

Caldwell carries a heavy scouting background and has worked as a close confidant of Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff in the team's daily roster operation. He previously served as the Falcons' director of college scouting. Caldwell spent 10 of his 15 NFL seasons with the Colts as a scout, in charge of the western college region in 2006-2007. He oversees the pro and college scouting departments.

Keim has been with the Cardinals the past 14 years, arriving in 1999 as a regional scout. He became the franchise's director of college scouting in 2006 and director of player personnel in 2008. A former three-year starter at guard at NC State, the alma mater of Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, Keim now assists in contact negotiations and coordinates the pro and college scouting departments.

Telescco joined the Colts in 1998 as an area scout. He became a pro scout in 2001, climbing up to director of pro scouting in 2004 and director of player personnel in 2005 before being promoted last February to VP of football operations.

Spanos fired general manager A.J. Smith on Monday as well as head coach Norv Turner.

Spanos will decide the next GM, but son John Spanos, Chargers director of college scouting, Ed McGuire, assistant general manager, and Ron Wolf, a former Packers general manager whom Spanos hired as a consultant in the searches, will assist.

Wolf arrived at Chargers Park on Tuesday.

A team spokesman declined to disclose the number of GM candidates who will be interviewed.

San Diego is expected to first fill that vacancy before hiring its next head coach. The next GM will be involved in that search.

The timing of the interviews is unclear, but for Raye's, the Chargers need only to knock on his office door.

Raye, a former San Diego State wide receiver, is a long-time member of the organization, joining it in 1996 as a scout before moving to director of college scouting in 2000. He was promoted to his current role as director of player personnel in 2007.

14. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    Somehow "Nectar of the Gods" doesn't work for us El Cajon hermits? Gotta build up some resistance? OK - Gotit! :D

15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Buddy's ****** Buffalo to hell and back. No thanks.

16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Not too difficult really. Take a look at the track record of your scouts, weight the good ones accordingly. Listen to them and stay out of it yourself. I believe that's called being a manager. ;)

17. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    phew...thought you'd gotten a hold of Blew's absinthe

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    Fred's guarding it for me.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    Bring in the clowns.......

20. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +354 / 11 / -6

SOLD! Just too bad the OL suck so much!

21. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    But can he play center or tackle? :(

22. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -2
    Any AJ lovers in here? If so, visit the AJ appreciation thread over there in the sheetpiles of CMB to double down on your sorrowful loss :roflmao:

23. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -2
    What will happen if he hits RM #24 like that?

A- Broken clavicles
    B- Fumble lost
    C- Jack shatting his panties
    D- All of the above

24. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +354 / 11 / -6
    I am going to post the draft wheel Blue made for me! I bet they take it down!;)

25. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +354 / 11 / -6
    D- All of the above / but with two C's

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -2
    If you do that, I'll take Jack's FT requests :D

27. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +354 / 11 / -6

Its already gone! LOL!:roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  28. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -2
    You banned yet? Jack, bring it on my old spinster ;)

29. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +354 / 11 / -6
    I'll post it again in the morning!:D

30. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -2
    Reminds me to greet you with your fave bottle of Zin, when we meet (for the first time) :D

P.S. Gooey will not ban you and will pull it down before Father Tom sees your sacrilegious post ;)