1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    I'm told that Matt Millen is available for the GM's job too. :)
  2. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Now would you agree that MAY be one of those "Fluff pieces" I was referring to in the past ????

No !!!! :eek: ..............OK, just checking. :D
  3. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    FARG IT !!!! ...............I knew we could have used him for something worthwhile ......

Vay Jay Jay's personal chauffer !!!!

Damn it, missed the boat on that one I guess.
  4. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    OK, well you wouldn't need to be Frostadamus to figure that one out.... see ya Barnesy !!! :confused:

Soooooo, can we add "another pass rusher" to the list of "needs" please .................Oh wait, maybe "Larry the not quite a legend yet" can fill that spot ??? :roflmao:
  5. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    OH Goody, I like these !!!

Then throw in the usual suspects who arent FA's, but can't play a damn anyway and I believe we should be left with around 45 openings or thereabouts, for anyone who would like the opportunity to play football for a living.

Man, that recruiting staff is sure gonna be busy this offseason...... :D
  6. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +326 / 11 / -6
    Might want to think about trading down from #11 :helm1:

Maybe if AJ gets hired we can get his 1st this yr and his 2nd round picks for the next 5 years!
  7. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    Pretty sure the OUT came from Marty, as much as I like her I sometimes wonder if English was spoken at home when she was young.

Weddle is a product of the "wonderful":rolleyes: public school system up around Rancho Cucamonga - SoCal boy who went to college in Utah.

I think the team is figuring the Chargers will try to salvage some of the six mil out of Gaither come OCS and Weddle is drawing a line in the sand with him for the players that will be here. Personally, I believe that is one place they should absolutely cut their losses no matter how badly it hurts the CAP. Lots of dead CAP $ this year no matter which way the new crew turns.
  8. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    One of the reasons we chose to remain in SoCal when I retired from the Navy back in 87 was N/E Oklahoma humidity and the temperature at night. (Of course the biggest was $ and I still had a daughter in school here). Those thirty degree temperature swings between day and night I was bragging about yesterday really make it nice here - the older I get the more I appreciate it.

Of course, in these days with the ability to control your environment - old folks back in MO and OK consider any power outage to be a fargin disaster. When my buddy's back there start squawking about how hot/cold/humid it is back there I ask "yeah but whats the temp where your BUTT is setting right now". :cool:

~~~

Speaking of weather - West Texas is being hit with quite a snowstorm - I-10 closed.
  9. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    "Fluff" is one way to put it - but - like a lot of Acehole's "fillers" - it also has a distinct, unpleasant, odor. :rolleyes:

~~~

Cotton Bowl tonight - set up to record on the DVR in case I get "distracted" with "other" again. <sigh> Couple of Grade AAA fatboys on each team to have a peek at.
  10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    Good news on the Brandon Taylor front........ Dr. Andrews performed his surgery, not the quack.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    For once, I actually agree with Kaplan........ :eek:

Kaplan: A.J. Smith's biggest problem was people skills

This week, the big argument of the A.J. Smith Chargers era -- Philip Rivers versus Drew Brees -- played itself out on the local radio airwaves.

On Wednesday, The Darren Smith Show interviewed Chargers QB Rivers about his relationship with Smith, here’s what he said:

I’m not saying this in a disrespectful way, I don’t know that you would call it a relationship, other than I wanted to play like crazy for him (AJ) and Norv and the organization, and the fans. Other than that it was a working relationship, with few words spoken between us over nine years, really. He had his way of running the team and I was trying to do my job of being the quarterback. It wasn’t a case of there being a lot of conversation or communication between the two of us.

On Thursday, Brees was interviewed on The Scott and BR Show, and when he was asked about his relationship with the Saints front office, here’s what he said:

I would say I absolutely have the relationship with the GM and head coach and guys in the front office to go in and talk to them about those things, (personnel decisions). I also know my place. I would never go in and say we have to draft this guy or we have to trade for this guy, my opinion is asked a lot, and I lend it when they ask about things. Because in the end we all want the same thing, we all want to win a championship. For example, I trained with Darren Sproles during the lockout, I was calling coach Peyton all the time saying we gotta get this guy.

Here’s the point:

What ultimately doomed Smith, besides the obvious fact of giving away star players who ultimately came back to haunt him, was the fact that the man had no people skills.

Forget about how he treated the media, it was how he treated the players, or in the case of Rivers, the lack of professional respectful relationship.

Star quarterbacks must represent the locker room, and sometimes that is uncomfortable. Rivers should have been there to defend the team, on the verge of a Super Bowl run, when Smith single-handedly crushed the team with the Jackson/McNeill holdout, but Rivers clearly didn’t feel like his opinion was welcome.

It’s time for Rivers to take over this franchise before his time runs out.

Scott Kaplan is co-host of U-T TV's Scott and Amber Show. Weekdays, he also has an afternoon radio show on Mighty 1090 AM with former Chargers linebacker Billy Ray Smith.
  12. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +326 / 11 / -6
    Sitting on the boat having lunch!

Baja hot dog! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357332850.821862.jpg

Sent from my Mobile Zin finder!
  13. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    antoniogaray71 Still sick after 6 days & everyday sounds like a rap song. Orange Juice...Drank. Medication...Drank. Chicken Broth...Drank. Ginger-Ale...Drank. Hot Tea...Drank. More Meds...Drank!!
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    I can relate....... I feel fine now, but the phlegm keeps on coming. :(
  15. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    Glad you are better, and based on the food choice, (not to mention setting on his boat), sounds like Pumpy must be better too. For this last week I've been damn happy to be retired with few obligations. Haven't had to go anywhere/do anything or point out my own illness - hell its just that "season". Feel pretty damn good today and enjoying hell out of Mr. Sunshine streaming through the window. :tup:
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    That's why they call them the "golden years". :D
  17. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +326 / 11 / -6
    It's a nice 61 and sunny here at the dock! :D

I am thinking I'll get back to the gym on Monday. Back on the diet too!

18. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    Meanwhile Jacko is dealing with "Mr. Scorcher" down there - note Snow in west Texas and Mexico. :confused:
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    I wouldn't live in that "hell hole" if you paid me. ;)
  20. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41

Ummm.......NO, I'd be trading down and getting as many picks as is humanly possible with as many needs as we have PUMP....

No "one pick" is gonna do us any good at this stage, quantity over quality unfortunately is the situation we now find ourselves in. :(
  21. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Ummm....which one is the hell hole your relating too ????
  22. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Currently on the far side of Melbourne today ...... You wouldn't know it was the same Country, let alone City as yesterday.

Gorgeous today, 28C, perfect light cool breeze and a nice warm sun to go with it.

Heat returns later in the week apparently, so I'll enjoy t his while it lasts.

Heading on home, time to talk PO's when I get back there, so have your picks ready. ;)
  23. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +326 / 11 / -6
    Yep! That's what I was getting at!

24. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +326 / 11 / -6
    At the gym! This sucks! :D

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    Not a Whitlock fan but his take on Andy Reid is amusing........

After Philly fiasco, why's Reid hot?

I come from a long line of stone-cold hustlers. My grandfather loan-sharked and ran numbers on the south side of Indianapolis for his entire adult life. My father’s barbershop doubled as a craps house after hours, and I learned to hustle “tip books” at his neighborhood bars. My uncle ran a pea-shake house out of a dry cleaners. My grandfather, father and uncle all held down full-time jobs at Chrysler while hustling to make ends meet.

I mention this to add weight to my assertion that Andy Reid pulled off the greatest hustle I’ve ever witnessed.

The stench of Reid’s last two years in Philly is still smothering football fans in the City of Brotherly Love and meanwhile he was the hottest coaching prospect in the NFL, the first coach awarded a seat during professional football’s annual game of musical chairs.

The Kansas City Chiefs and owner Clark Hunt outraced Arizona and San Diego to Reid’s Philadelphia coaching carcass.

I can’t positively say I’m against this hiring. What I can say is that I’m absolutely amazed by its urgency and swiftness. The Chiefs, Chargers and Cardinals chased after Reid like he was one of the Kardashians with a clean bill of health from Planned Parenthood and a fresh tummy tuck from a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon.

Hey, I’ve lived in Los Angeles for more than two years. I’ve heard all the Kardashian stories. Yes, they can put that thang on ya. But the truth is, there are more fish in the sea.

Did Clark Hunt know this? There are fish with fewer miles on their odometer, fish without indisputable video evidence of their sideline freakiness and questionable decision-making.

Because we’re in the “information age,” few people in the national media are focusing on Reid’s bizarre and troubling final two years in Philadelphia. Everyone wants to be first to provide the information about where Reid is going and who he is bringing with him and who is leaving because of his arrival. You can’t get that information from Reid, his handlers and his associates if you are publicly reminding Clark Hunt and Chiefs fans just how awful Reid was in Philadelphia in 2011 and 2012.

Let me repeat: I’m not anti-Andy Reid or retread coaches. There was a time when I thought Reid was as good as any coach in football. I loved the way he handled Donovan McNabb. And Bill Belichick, Dick Vermeil, Mike Shanahan, Tony Dungy and a bunch of other retread coaches have been highly successful.

But Reid is a unique retread.

A high percentage of Eagles fans believes Reid hasn’t been right since his defensive coordinator Jim Johnson died of cancer in 2009. Reid hasn’t won a playoff game since Johnson passed.

My issue is the last two years. The Eagles were the “dream team” in 2011 and Super Bowl favorite. They went 8-8. They had to win their final four games to reach 8-8. To the utter shock and surprise of no one not named Andy Reid, the decision to promote longtime offensive-line coach Juan Castillo to DEFENSIVE coordinator blew up in Reid’s face. In their eight losses, the Eagles surrendered an average of 29.8 points.

The Eagles spent millions of dollars building a dream team, and Reid turned his defense over to an offensive-line coach on a whim. This is like getting a date with Beyonce and consulting with Ike Turner on how to romance her.

Reid allegedly had a nine-hour interview with Clark Hunt and his entourage on Wednesday. I hope someone asked Reid to write a short essay about Juan Castillo. Did anyone have the nerve to ask Reid about his son overdosing and dying at Philly’s training camp this summer? The kid had steroids on him, too.

There are so many questions you have to ask Andy Reid.

Tell us what role you played in giving Michael Vick a new lucrative contract and then overseeing an offensive strategy that repeatedly put your undersized quarterback in harm’s way because of your love of the pass and hatred of the run.

The Eagles went 4-12 this season. Reid fired Castillo early. The defense got significantly worse. The players quit. Vick complained his teammates weren’t committed. Reid left a mess in Philly.

If ever a coach needed a year off work to focus on his family, recharge and self-exam, it’s Andy Reid. Instead, he’s juggling coaching offers. Yep, maybe he’s John Fox and all he needs is a fresh start. Or maybe he’s been chasing his tail for too long and he’s gone crazy. Maybe the fact he could have his pick of jobs after being a disaster the last two years will stop him from doing the kind of self-inventory necessary to snap out of this tailspin.

Hunt is handing Reid all sorts of power. Reid will pick his own front office. General manager Scott Pioli has been relieved of his duties, which is a good thing. But I don’t see Reid as some sort of personnel guru. A lack of depth has hurt the Eagles the past few years.

This is simply a remarkable job of failing forward by Andy Reid. He found the perfect NFL owner and fan base desperate to get over the pain of a 2-14 season and an overmatched general manager. According to season-long gossip and reports, Hunt has sought the advice of Marty Schottenheimer, the former Chiefs coach.

Reid reminds me of Schottenheimer, only Reid loves to pass the ball and Marty loved to run it. Marty had a successful run in Cleveland and needed a fresh start in Kansas City. It worked out well. A few years ago, Pioli reminded me of Carl Peterson, the general manager who hired Schottenheimer in KC and worked with Schottenheimer during the 1990s.

For a time, Marty and Carl balanced each other.

Who is going to balance Andy Reid? I realize no one wants to talk about it now, while we’re all pretending Reid is Don Shula coming off the '72 season, but there’s plenty of proof Reid went crazy in Philly.
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    The heat......... can't stand that kind of heat.
  27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Spring cleaning.

Normally I wouldn't mention it...but a long-forgotten cubbard
    (rhymes with "Marv Hubbard") yielded 2 (!) bottles of #44's
    "Legends: Gridiron Cuvee'--Lance Alworth" wine...
    and an unopened factory fresh (circa 2000?) box of Flutie Flakes.

So, MY Sunday is set!!
  28. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Hell I'll 'come forward' (your words not mine ya sick farg) on that. He had a decent enough year last year. Was showing improvement. But yep the injury thing came home to roost. Injury prone in college. Injury prone in the pros. Oh well. Next up? Brinkley I guess....:confused:
  29. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Or you could just expunge gaseous matter here more often...;)
  30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    And some of the CMB mods ;)