1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731 / 53 / -41
    So, 2 from 2 today in the Pick 'em's.

Gotta be at least one upset in the Wildcard round right !!!!

Going with Indy to pull that upset against the Raver's, Luck to continue what has been a hell of a Rookie season thus far and the end of an era with Ray Lewis finishing up.

Would love to see the RG III/Redskins season extended also and would have no problem picking them if he was even 90% fit, but after watching him last week, he's not close to that figure and that Seattle "D" should be able to exploit that enough to squeak through.

Should be a good set of games today .......
  2. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +946 / 2 / -2
    I think a lot of it is the heat - and I worry for him about wildfires (they call them bushfires down under). Hell, there are still over 60 active fires on Tasmania going on. <sigh>

"The BBC's Nick Bryant, in Sydney, says large swathes of south-east Australia are suffering from the worst fire conditions since the Black Saturday disaster almost four years ago, when 173 people in rural Victoria lost their lives."

Jack mentioned it before getting a bit of a break at the start of the weekend. I remember 2003 and 2007 here only too well and get "itchy" every time we are under a red flag. Will *NEVER* forget driving out Greenfield to the 2nd Street taco shop I used to like, only to see 150' pillars of fire over Crest... Drove straight home, got the wife, showed her the same and she gave me NO argument about getting our important stuff packed and ready in the vehicles. (Obviously we didn't have to evacuate, but that remains the one thing that could cause us to "bug out" from the Pondee).

~~~

Stats do lie - unless they happen to help the point that I am trying to prove at the moment. :cool: But nobody can deny the relative beating PR has taken over this last few years - not without blinders, booze, or heat stroke. :D
  3. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +946 / 2 / -2
    O-line Chargers' top offseason priority

This will be another busy Chargers offseason.
    To fix some of their deficiencies, it has to be.

San Diego has holes on its roster, either ones that were exposed last year or, with 19 players scheduled to become unrestricted free agents in March, that are about to open. The following are three top priorities on either side of the ball.

Offense
    Offensive line: The greatest, most immediate challenge the next Chargers general manager will face is fixing this offensive line. Can it be done in one year? Center Nick Hardwick is the only starter who can safely be expected back. A left tackle must be found. Left guard Tyronne Green and right guard Louis Vasquez have expiring contracts. Right tackle Jeromey Clary will count $5.7 million against the 2013 cap if kept and $3.4 million if released.

Running back: It's always been something with Ryan Mathews. Maybe, with two broken clavicles in about four months, he's just unlucky, luck that is bound to turn around in his fourth season. But the Chargers must protect themselves for the possibility it doesn't, adding someone who, at the very least, can complement him. Le'Ron McClain and Edwin Baker, a 2012 seventh-round draft pick, are the only other members of the backfield scheduled to return next season.

Tight end: Randy McMichael served as an extension of the offensive line in his three seasons here. Last year, 60.1 percent of his 504 snaps came in pass protection. With the 33-year-old contemplating retirement and, if he chooses to continue playing, likely to be released, the team must find a blocking presence from its tight end corps. The asset is a strength of neither Antonio Gates nor Ladarius Green. Dante Rosario is a pending unrestricted free agent.

Defense
    Cornerback: The Chargers could lose two durable starters. On the left side, Quentin Jammer has started 161 of 172 career games but will turn 34 in June. Right cornerback Antoine Cason, 26, has started all but three games the past three years. Shareece Wright and Marcus Gilchrist, both 2010 draft choices, are the only cornerbacks under contract for 2013.

Linebacker: Takeo Spikes is unlikely to return next season, but there is uncertainty who'll fill his place as the strong-side inside linebacker. The hope was for Jonas Mouton to be ready, but with his zero defensive snaps after Spikes' second-quarter ejection in the season finale, it's clear he is not considered ready yet. At outside linebacker, Shaun Phillips and Antwan Barnes are among the team's unrestricted free agents.

Strong safety: Three strong safeties made the Chargers' roster out of training camp. By year's end, Corey Lynch was the only one not to have suffered a season-ending injury, and he's set to become a free agent. Rookie Brandon Taylor underwent surgery Thursday to repair a torn ACL as well as some other knee damage. Veteran Atari Bigby missed the final five weeks with a torn hamstring. The Chargers will evaluate Taylor's strides in rehab and plan accordingly for 2013.
  4. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +946 / 2 / -2
    All things considered, I think it would be a bigger "thang" for the home team to lose in the morning game. Its that "on any given day" thing, and all of the Ray Lewis hype on NFL/Network and ESPN that makes me wonder if BLT isn't getting set up for the ultimate fail like Marty against the Jits.

One thing, there is certainly a lot more on Luck's shoulders than there is on Flacco's to determine who wins that one... But hell, the kid is likely up to it, (ask the Texans how he played at their house in week 17). Both games today should be more fun than yesterday...

OBTW, LT - the Shanarat stomper - just picked the Hags over the Skins.
  5. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +306 / 11 / -6
    Ravens and the Seahawks today!

Sent from my Mobile Zin finder!
  6. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +306 / 11 / -6
    What??? You only picked one game???

1-1 bitch :D

7. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +946 / 2 / -2
    ...after consultation with Der Blitzed - I am saying there will be a boatload of ticked off home team fans cussing at the zebras. :cool:

~~~

Damn - NFL Network just announce that Bruce Arians is in the hospital and will not be calling plays for today's game - confirmed on Twitter...
  8. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +306 / 11 / -6
    Oh Jackie!
    Yes the O-line has been bad for years, but its been a progressive deterioration since 2008. Rivers, Norv both were set up to fail the last three season by AJ. You state the same thing above! But, to say its all on Rivers is just crazy! he's a victim of the environment that AJ was building year after year or lack there of! That's just the O-Line! As in any Job your only as good as the tools you are giving! AJ gave away too many of Rivers tools!

[​IMG]
  9. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +731 / 53 / -41
    Just listening to Nantz announce that on the telecast Dave ......

Man, they can't take a trick at the moment, wish the guy well.
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,333 / 35 / -15
  11. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +731 / 53 / -41
    Pump, never have I said "its ALL on Rivers", now come on, lets not get overly silly now.

What I have said is that many of Rivers problems are self-inflicted by his own poor play and judgement, ALONG with the almost non existentence protection from a piss-poor OLine, a combo that isn't going to win you many games, as has been the case for this team for the past 3 seasons.

You don't need to tell me how poor a job AJ has done by the way, I was saying that back when you were wearing that Yellow Raincoat to games still, even when this team was still considered a genuine contender I had my dislikes about the guy's methods and always disliked his aloofness when in the media.
  12. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +731 / 53 / -41
  13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,333 / 35 / -15
    Wow! I guess Arians stock will drop a bit...

Now I kinda wish I'd said that. :unsure:

(oh wait, I did!) :tup:
  14. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +306 / 11 / -6
    Got a tear in my eye seeing Ray Lewis come out for the game!

What a player what a leader! :tup:
  15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    Flacco sucks in the red zone.
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    Ray Ray dropped a gift...... time to retire. ;)
  17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,333 / 35 / -15
    Am I the only one who can't believe how bad the shadows in M&T Stadium are?

I can't believe the NFL didn't make them turn on the lights...
    just amazingly poor picture quality by 2013 standards!
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    That's called dramatic lighting.
  19. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +215 / 15 / -2
    I was debating that scenario too, but because of Luck's inexperience in the PO's, I erred on the side of the Dirty Birds, considering that the game is in MD.

OTOH, with RGIII running on one bum leg and the Hags D, I guessed that the Foreskins had a better chance of getting upstaged in DC. Plus with two rooks QB'ing that game, I gathered more chance of drama. BTW, this AM's game is boring me to tears!
  20. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +215 / 15 / -2
    I luv it when yer a feisty lil biatch ;)
  21. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    Takes them a half to get warmed up. ;)
  22. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +215 / 15 / -2
    Nurse Jackie could very well be correct on this occasion. An impending heart attack can have flu like symptoms!

I was watching Charlie Rose a few nights back, and the CEO of Qualcomm (Paul Jacobs) was saying that they are developing a microchip to put in the human body for the bloodstream, which will ring up one's smart phone up to 2 weeks in advance of an impending heart attack to allow one to visit his/her physician right away. This is no Sci Fi stuff folks and being tested in labs as we speak!

I'm convinced that for every notorious pop icon dumfarg like Snookie or Honey Boo Boo, we do have many brilliant anonymous scientists somewhere working on saving humanity irrespective of whether they (dumfargs) deserve it or not :D
  23. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +215 / 15 / -2
    Ray also has a tear drop permanently tattooed ;)
  24. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +215 / 15 / -2
    So much f(so far) or my "surprise" Pre-Dick-Shun of the 2nd game :D
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    Lots of game left to be played.
  26. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +306 / 11 / -6
    Don't worry Jacko it's still early! ;)

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    Did you just call Blitzy, Jacko? :eek:
  28. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +215 / 15 / -2
    It was meant in the most ever gentle and loving way, tantamount to an F U :D
  29. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +306 / 11 / -6
    I just wanted to see if anyone reads my posts! :D

30. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +946 / 2 / -2
    OOooo - a 2-fer! :tup: