1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,883 / 48 / -26
    Most likely a clerical error. :whistling:

2. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +291 / 18 / -2
    Most likely Dr. Chao was also the clerk ;)

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,883 / 48 / -26
    Why haven't we heard this story before???......... :confused:

Tim Brown suggests “sabotage” by Bill Callahan in Super Bowl XXXVII
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2013, 9:33 PM EST
    A decade ago, the Raiders’ fate in Super Bowl XXXVII presumably was sealed by the weekend disappearance of center Barret Robbins. Hall of Fame finalist Tim Brown believes that the blame for the 48-21 loss to the Buccaneers should go to their head coach.
    “We get our game plan for victory on Monday, and the game plan says we’re gonna run the ball,” Brown said Saturday on SiriusXM NFL Radio, which provided us with the audio. “We averaged 340 [pounds] on the offensive line, they averaged 280 [on the defensive line]. We’re all happy with that, everybody is excited. [We] tell Charlie Garner, ‘Look, you’re not gonna get too many carries, but at the end of the day we’re gonna get a victory. Tyrone Wheatley, Zack Crockett, let’s get ready to blow this thing up.’”
    According to Brown, coach Bill Callahan then “blew this thing up” on the Friday before the Super Bowl, changing the game plan from a run-heavy attack to an intent to “throw the ball 60 times.”
    “We all called it sabotage . . . because Callahan and [Tampa Bay coach Jon] Gruden were good friends,” Brown said. “And Callahan had a big problem with the Raiders, you know, hated the Raiders. You know, only came because Gruden made him come. Literally walked off the field on us a couple of times during the season when he first got there, the first couple years. So really he had become someone who was part of the staff but we just didn’t pay him any attention. Gruden leaves, he becomes the head coach. . . . It’s hard to say that the guy sabotaged the Super Bowl. You know, can you really say that? That can be my opinion, but I can’t say for a fact that that’s what his plan was, to sabotage the Super Bowl. He hated the Raiders so much that he would sabotage the Super Bowl so his friend can win the Super Bowl. That’s hard to say, because you can’t prove it.
    “But the facts are what they are, that less than 36 hours before the game we changed our game plan. And we go into that game absolutely knowing that we have no shot. That the only shot we had if Tampa Bay didn’t show up.”
    Brown explained that the change had a specific impact on Robbins. “Barret Robbins begged Coach Callahan, ‘Do not do this to me. I don’t have time to make my calls, to get my calls ready. You can’t do this to me on Friday. We haven’t practiced full speed, we can’t get this done.’”
    Brown tiptoed around the question of whether the change caused Robbins to go off the deep end, suggesting that it had an impact and then explaining that there’s no way to know if it did. “I’m not saying one had anything to do with the other,” Brown said. “All I’m saying is those are the facts of what happened Super Bowl week. So our ire wasn’t towards Barret Robbins, it was towards Bill Callahan. Because we feel as if he wouldn’t have did what he did, then Barret wouldn’t have done what he did.
    “Now, should Barret have manned up and tried to do it? Absolutely. But everybody knew Barret was unstable anyway. So to put him in that situation — not that he was putting him in that situation — but for that decision to be made without consulting the players the Friday before the Super Bowl? I played 27 years of football. The coaches never changed the game plan the Friday before the game. I’m not trying to point fingers at anybody here, all I’m saying is those are the facts of what happened. So people look at Barret and they say all these things, but every player in that locker room will tell you, ‘You’d better talk to Bill Callahan.’ Because if not for Coach Callahan, I don’t think we’re in that situation.”
    Well, we now know what Tim Brown will be asked about next week in New Orleans. Continuously.
    There’s only one potential flaw in Brown’s logic. He assumes that the new game plan was changed by Callahan. Who’s to say that the order to throw the ball 60 times didn’t come from the late Al Davis, who had a special affinity for throwing the football, and also for meddling directly in the coaching of the team?
    Thus, while it’s easy to blame Callahan, Callahan may have simply been the messenger.
    Regardless, Brown and Callahan and Gruden and quarterback Rich Gannon and anyone/everyone who was part of that team will soon be hearing from reporters and radio/TV producers, just in time for the 10th anniversary of the game.

4. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    How much? Kind of low on funds at the very moment...

5. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +356 / 11 / -6
    What happen to the nice Conc? :D

Sent from my Mobile Zin finder!

6. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    More importantly, I was unaware that your posts came from your Zin finder migjigamuhbobber, I thought they all came from your arse :D

7. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +854 / 54 / -42
    Well thank Farg for that then ........ Only about 7 years to late, but nevertheless, it's a start.

Seriously, we may have to start up a petition to get Donald Ducks arse fired, can't see any other way it's ever gonna happen, he and the Wormer are obviously deeply in love or something close.

The team has a OPHTHALMOLOGIST ??????? .......... Explain to me how every decision made around this place for the last 6+ years or so looks as if its be made by Stevie Wonder ????

That's even more damning of this FO knowing that info ........ First bastards in the chair need to be all those "scouts" ...... Anyone of them that has less than 20/20 vision is on his bike out of Charger Park.

Well, at least with an entirely new S & C staff about next year, if we still get a rash of injuries again, we know its the soft arse players fault and NOT the staff to blame ....... Which is a distinct possibility I might add. ;)

8. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +854 / 54 / -42

Before you meet us, you would never have been able to use the word " honing" in a sentence, admit it !!!!

9. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +854 / 54 / -42

We couldn't be that fortunate.

10. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +854 / 54 / -42

WOW, that's quite an accusation, even if he doesn't consider it one ....... Hey Timmy, you made the allegations whether you meant to or not, it's out there for all to see dude.

My first question to Tim would be....... "Why's it taken you 10 years to come out and say this ...?"

Barrett Robbins ended up in jail if my memory serves me correctly, did he not ???.....or was it a One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest or maybe both ??

11. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +854 / 54 / -42
    Where have I heard that line before ???

You've had 3 years to get a job and still nothing ????

Stanly, something tells me you're a good for nuttin' Bludger.

12. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +854 / 54 / -42

Only the ones that are spelt correctly come from the Zinamagiggy...........CORRECT, all others straight from his Bob Dole.

13. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +356 / 11 / -6
    WoW and I was looking out for you! :poop:

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,883 / 48 / -26
    Bolts make big changes to offensive staff

MOBILE, Ala. — There is little familiarity left on the Chargers' offensive coaching staff.

First-year coach Mike McCoy is expected to announce changes throughout the week. Among them, Hal Hunter, the team's offensive line coach who also carried the title of coordinator in 2012, will not be retained under the new regime.

Other moves include the departure of Charlie Joiner. The Hall of Fame wide receiver and position coach's contract expired at the end of 2012.

Hunter, whom many Chargers linemen have hailed as being in a class of his own, was an offensive line assistant in 2006, the final season of Marty Schottenheimer's tenure. In 2007, he was promoted to offensive line coach upon Norv Turner's arrival.

Hunter is actively searching for his next opportunity in the league.

Joiner played 11 of 18 NFL seasons with the Chargers. He coached their wide receivers for 10 years, spanning from 1987 to 1991 and 2008 to 2012.

In coaching circles, the 65-year-old is considered set to retire after first entering the league in 1969.

Tight ends coach Jason Michael is the only Chargers offensive coach from the Norv Turner era confirmed to be retained. He came to San Diego in 2010.

Frank Reich, former Cardinals wide receivers coach, followed Ken Whisenhunt to San Diego. Reich is the new quarterbacks coach, replacing John Ramsdell.

Whisenhunt spent six years coaching Arizona before he and a large part of his staff were dismissed Dec. 31. The fired included Russ Grimm, offensive line coach and assistant head coach.

Grimm may be an option to succeed Hunter as offensive line coach.

Mike Sullivan, Hunter's assistant, was named the Browns' new offensive line coach last week.
    On defense, McCoy recently announced he'll retain defensive coordinator John Pagano, linebackers coach Joe Barry and assistant linebackers coach Greg Williams.

15. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +854 / 54 / -42

What ya doin' up still Ol Man ????

you know darn well you need at least 8 hours of beauty rest to venture out in public and be half decent.

Now off to bed wid ya saggy Ol arse !!!!

16. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +854 / 54 / -42

Fine with me ...... The joint was stanking anyway .......... Bring in an all new regime and lets get this thing back on the rails I say.

Sorry to see Joiner go, we all love our past legends, but tough decisions needed to be made and we are at that point in time when sentiment no longer has a place if we wish to be among the elite.

Happy with the ways things have gone thus far ...... Now, if we can just get some players who want it as much as us fans do.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,883 / 48 / -26
    Joiner was a product of the Coreyll system (like Norv), and it's clear we will be going in a different direction offensively. Despite the O-line's love of Hunter, I can't say he turned our band of misfits into world beaters..... time for some new blood.

18. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +356 / 11 / -6
    Got a phone interview today for a job I want! :D

Sent from my Mobile Zin finder!

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,750 / 39 / -8
    this IS me being nice... C'mon, old dog, new tricks...

20. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +990 / 2 / -2
    I don't care who you are, you have GOT to have the horses... A perfect example is Russ Grimm - who may very well wind up replacing Hunter BTW... Our young Front Office simply MUST get me some proper fatboys on that O-Line.

OBTW, I figure this "may" influence Hardwina into announcing his retirement - his choice. That decision won't be forthcoming for a spell - and it certainly doesn't qualify as a "probability" - more of an option if he decides he doesn't want to play under the new staff... Could go the other way - "new" can be a fun thang... ;)

21. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +854 / 54 / -42
    If that happens then I wont be overly upset either Dave ............... forced change can be a good thing too if thats what it takes.

Middle of that fatboy line needs upgrading anyway, most likely wont happen overnight, but again, gotta start somewhere.

22. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +854 / 54 / -42
    An interview over the phone ????

See told ya to get more sleep, just how bad are you looking these days ???

23. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +990 / 2 / -2
    There are a couple of young'uns I've spotted that I'd sure like to have out of this draft - but will need FA support too. Hope TT/MM are up to fixing the "personnel" problem. ;)

24. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Never! There's nothing to admit!

25. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    You know I love you, Pump. I miss all of you guys since the game against the Raiders.

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,883 / 48 / -26
    TMI

27. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Go play your videogames :D

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,883 / 48 / -26
    Not an option at the moment..... Windows 8 blew up on me. I'm glad that I'm a Mac person and don't have to rely on Microsoft for any real work.

29. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I like my HP, though if I had enough disposable income I'd spend it on a Mac.

30. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +854 / 54 / -42
    Without doubt FA has to be utilized Dave ....... No brainer, all the fixes we need won't be solved by the draft alone, getting the "right mix" in FA is where I'm hoping to see a dramatic improvement from this new staff over the old regime, lets be honest, they can't do any worse ...... Shirley NOT !!!!!