1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
  2. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +243 / 16 / -2
    Yes, I'd read that the refurbs may come pleasantly with a little bit more than advertised ;) I will also go for the RAM increase to maximize the capabilities better...
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
    I'm considering replacing the stock 4GB side with another 16GB set.

Do I need 32GB of RAM?....... maybe not, but I'd never have to worry about running out of RAM again. ;)
  4. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I can't say I blame him for wanting people to stop, I would too. Regardless of my opinion, I think the reporters should refrain (and not because I don't think they're "qualified"). I'll just root against him.
  5. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
    Frankly, I don't think Lewis ever really adequately addressed the situation publicly, so naturally there are still a lot of curious people...... reporters included.

Of course, he doesn't want to answer questions about it, but he has to expect the question to be asked. To say people aren't "qualified" to ask just makes him look foolish, and further the idea that he has a lot to hide.
  7. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
  8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Okay, this is probably the only time I'll ever reference (without mocking) Facebook...
    but this is a pretty damned sweet set of maps they've posted.
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-data-science/nfl-fans-on-facebook/10151298370823859
    (the two I put on here are the overall fan map, and the 2012 Super Bowl version...)

Of course, just like electoral college maps with
    huge--but barren re. people/voters--red swaths of acreage, these maps have the same limitation...
    looks like a ton of Bronco orange...but there's actually only 6 NFL fans in Wyoming. :D
    Still, cool as Hell for lifelong, hardcore fans to study...

Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 4.01.12 PM.png

The Super Bowl map is more surprising: For me, I'd normally root against both of these teams...
    but seeing how little love the Ravens get nationally, I guess I've got a new reason to pull for the underdogs
    (Oh, and The Wire was freakin' awesome, too!) Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 4.04.09 PM.png

p.s. Ray, I typed virtually all of this without resorting to any
    deer-antler extract!!
  9. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    Just be ready to duck and run! (Yeah, I looked at the sig image again). :D

Mid 50's out here in the valley for a high today, but supposed to finally crack the 70's come Thursday.
  10. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +243 / 16 / -2
    If you have extra caiiish laying around, I just saw a 27" refurb posted up @ 2039 with a 256 SSD to boot. If I had waited a few more hrs I would have ordered this one instead, but I'm already pretty chuffed with my none SSD :)

The fact that they are postong these up 2-3 units at a time leads me to believe that the new iMac is going to be released to the Apple B&M stores really sooon ;)
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
    By and large, most people aren't a big fan of murderers....... #imjustsaying
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
    The SSD is nice, but that's way too small for me. The one thing I do really like about the new iMacs is the Fusion Drive, which combines a SSD with a traditional HD. That way, you get the speed/storage in one package.

Still, I didn't want to wait, and the $400 I saved, plus not needing an external disc drive made me go the refurb route.
  13. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +243 / 16 / -2
    I presume the SSD is configured in such a way that everything defaults to be stored in there, so I can see as to how it may not suffice for your purpose. It'd be plenty for me, but I am already committed, aka cooked ;)
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
    The Fusion Drive is a "smart" drive, so it puts all your apps and most commonly used files on the SSD side. It puts less used files on the traditional HD side. That way, apps launch fast, and your most used files open quicker. It's a cool new option, but it costs extra, as it's not in the standard configurations.

You made a sensible, and cost effective decision to get the refurb 27" model. The new ones start at $1,999 and the i7 would be another $200...... and the 1TB Fusion Drive would be $250 more. Add to that the external Super Drive @ $79. Sure, it's nice to have the latest thing, but you saved a good bit of cash and still got a great computer that should last you for a number of years no problem.

It's still plenty zippy, even without a SSD. ;)
  15. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +243 / 16 / -2
    Yup, that's exactly why I don't have buyer's remorse. I wasn't too sure about the Apple Care, but I went for it coz I'm a sucka and can't say no (unless your name's Jack) :)
  16. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    Sure sounds to me like ya done good Sir Blitzen - and don't hesitate to take advantage of your Apple Care should anything go wrong. Just leave the driving to them. :cool: I have a good friend in Louisiana who is now on his 6th or 7th year with Apple Care on every device he owns. Considers it one of his best business expenses.
  17. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +782 / 54 / -41
    You lowdown good 4 nuttin' cork holster.....

Ill deal with you when I get home later, I'm to emotional right this minute to be objective in my reply !!! :)
  18. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    This is true. I'm sure he's not comfortable talking about it because he has a couple of things to hide, but I am also not a judge nor was I old enough to know the entire situation so I tend not to care about it as much.

I think saying they're not "qualified" is very foolish as well, though.
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
    I definitely recommend the Apple Care, but you can buy it anytime during that 1 year warranty period. You don't have to get it upfront, but if you have the $, there's no need to wait.
  20. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    Odd, no sooner did I mention my Mac-Head buddy in LA than he called. Told him what I had just said about his experience with Apple Care and he went on and on about how great it is to give them a call, have them talk him through a problem, and if it can't be resolved via phonecon/internet, the next day he gets a FedEx box to send it in to them - they fix it and send it back. Only has to step out to his porch, not drive anywhere.
  21. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
    I'll do you one better..... I had the display go out in an old iMac and they sent a tech to my house and he installed a new display. How's that for service?
  22. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +243 / 16 / -2
    Thank you Sire. I'm glad I pulled the trigger on that set up and I can report that the four 27" iMacs (different specs and $$$$) which came online earlier on this PM, are all now gone too :eek:

I don't normally buy protection plans for iPhones & iPads, but I felt that with my VERY limited knowledge of iMac, it was a bad bet to opt for Apple Care on an expensive piece, plus it makes a nice gift to someone down the road, say in a year or two ;)
  23. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +243 / 16 / -2
    You are so super lame :roflmao:
  24. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +243 / 16 / -2
    Without Apple Care, the phone support service is only good for 90 days, although the warranty period is for one year. I just added it to the cart because I can get too hormonal and forget all about it later on :D
  25. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +243 / 16 / -2
    Does Fred second that motion?!
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
    Good point. ;)
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
    fify ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +782 / 54 / -41
    Well lets see how truly good they are, shall we.

Have them send that "techy wizard" down here and show me how the farg to work this Bluetooth keypad I bought for this thing ...... I can't even get the bastage to light up like its suppose too, let alone work. ;)
  29. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +782 / 54 / -41
    So your saying I can pick it up on my way though later this year then !!!! :)
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26