1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    You would think so, now wouldn't you..... what's with all this optional :poop:?
  2. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    Did you get a "twinge" too ??? :cool:
  3. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    For what these blokes earn $ wise, why the farg should they get anymore than the "average 2 weeks annual leave" per year that rest of the work force is afforded ????
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Considering most teams don't even make the playoffs, the average player has a fair break before they have to engage in any sort of organized activity.

I get the limited full-pad contact drills, but why all the "optional" stuff? Surely, the guys can all show up for some basic work.
  5. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
  7. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    True, but I think it was obvious to begin with really :whistling:
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Well, they at least had the option to take one of the two standout guards if they saw better value. Now, it's almost certain they will go tackle in the 1st.
  9. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    To be honest BLEW, Im certainly NOT one who should be barking out about guys "training more", seeing I had the biggest reputation during my career as the worst trainer at the Club...... In my defence though, it wasnt like I was earning a living from it either, so there's quite a difference in that regard.

But to me if guys are "full time professionals", then they have an obligation to that employer to maintain some type of workload throughout the entire year ....... Maybe take a month off and enjoy the spoils for sure, but to sit around for 6 of the next 9 months before the season starts in full is ridiculous.

Look, not everyone is alike either, some guys have the ability to take heaps of time off and can still maintain a good level of fitness without doing a thing, while others hit the piss or put on weight just looking at food, so those are the types that should be looking out for themselves, so come preseason, they aren't completely out of shape (or in Rynos case, limit the night club visits and the amount of time sitting in front of a screen playing video games might be a good suggestion)
  10. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    Well, I guess that whole ...... "We'll evaluate everyone on an individual basis", didnt take as long as we all suspected.

Figured they'd at least have a look at him on the field, but I guess by just talking they seen all they needed to know.

Bastage's should have just taken our word on this lazy prick and parted ways last January and not bothered with the whole cork tease. ;)
  11. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42

Would YOU bet your life on it ?????? :D ;)
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Considering the nature of the game today, the only way to have a long career is to take care of your body year round.

How do you think Spikes has lasted as long as he has? The guy is a fitness freak, and even sleeps in a hyperbaric chamber.
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Word is, they requested a face to face meeting with Gaither, and didn't get one..... that's reason enough to cut his ***.
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    No, I wouldn't. ;)

It all depends on who's left on the board when we pick. If there's a run on tackles, and the top three are already gone, we'll go a different direction.

No point in reaching on a guy, just because it's a position of need. This team has plenty of needs.
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Is it just me, or does the new Dolphins logo look like something used by a Florida travel agency? ;)

[​IMG]
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    A trip down memory lane.....

[​IMG]
  17. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
    Hahahahahaha .......should we be shocked to hear that ????

what an absolute loser this guy has to be ....... Watch him sit back, blow his millions of unearned money and be dead at about 45.
  18. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42

Now don't be dissing FLIPPER ya bastage ....... ;)
  19. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42

How prophetic is that ????

Nice one !!!!
  20. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +972 / 2 / -2
    So, you no longer see the Bolts taking a "Chance" in the draft? <runs>

Fisher | Warmack | Johnson | find a dance partner and trade back, (in that order)... #Imjustsaying
  21. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Many draftniks think "Chance will go early too...... I think despite all the claims to the contrary, there will be a QB taken in the top 10.
  22. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +972 / 2 / -2
    I'm counting on it... ;)
  23. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42

On that we can agree upon ya Ol Fart ...... You can never have enough "Johnsons" in a Men's shower after the game.
  24. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42

Lets hope it's in the first 3 then ......... Gooey can only count that high afterall.
  25. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +972 / 2 / -2
    I would prefer a full shower room with a single Johnson present. (As I get older the number of daydreams seem to increase). ;)
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Two, if we're lucky.
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Gaither duped Chargers, who asked for it
    By Kevin Acee
    5:21 P.M.
    MARCH 27, 2013

Jared Gaither, we hardly knew you. You fraud.

Had you even been able to manage a full season before wussing out, we could have excused you, could have believed these ailments were severe enough to sideline you.

(Big Lazy, go ahead and be angry. What have I written since last August, when I first questioned your manhood, that has not been shown to be an entirely accurate assessment?)

A brief history:

Gaither was acquired off waivers on Nov. 30, 2011 and started his first game for the Chargers five days later. As a fill-in, he was absolutely amazing. Honestly, a left tackle could not have played better over five games – let alone for a guy that made those starts without the benefit of training camp or weeks or even a real chance to learn the offense’s intricacies.

Then came free agency. Gaither had not only set himself up well with that divine December audition, but he was set up by being the only starting left tackle on the market.

The Chargers brass held many meetings about giving millions to a player known during his days with the Baltimore Ravens as Big Lazy. The decision makers concluded it could blow up in their faces but that they had no choice to sign him, and they gave him a four-year, $24.5 million contract that paid Gaither $9 million (guaranteed) in the first year.

Gaither left the first practice of training camp with cramps. No, really.

He braved an entire practice the next day.

The following day, midway through the first practice in pads, he went down with “back spasms” and did not practice again until Sept. 26.

Talk began inside Chargers Park a few weeks after he left that first padded practice that Gaither maybe wasn’t trying hard enough to get back on the field. By the season opener, there was word from several sources inside the building that the Chargers medical staff doubted the severity of Gaither’s injury. There was implication from reliable sources that Gaither had shown to not be able to tolerate pain that a much smaller person -- perhaps one with ovaries -- would routinely abide.

(The reference to a woman’s pain tolerance was not meant as a slight by the people who said it, nor is it meant as such by me. We all know who’s bearing children and that the population would be much lower if men possessed birth canals. The comparison had to do with how a much smaller human, less accustomed to dealing with the bumps and bruises of football, might react to the same thing incapacitating Gaither.)

Gaither finally played Sept. 30 at Kansas City, performing pretty well for most of four quarters. He injured his groin the next week at New Orleans, missed a game, returned for two more games and was essentially finished Nov. 7 when he simply could not finish practice. The Chargers placed him on injured reserve on Nov. 23.

I guaranteed late in the season that he would never again play for the Chargers. I reiterated that promise even after Mike McCoy and Tom Telesco said everyone gets a fresh start.

Dean Spanos was never going to allow it. Teammates were not going to tolerate it. Both believe Gaither stole from them.

Professional athletes are like a wolf pack, they stick together publicly, even when they don’t like a teammate privately. In almost two decades, I have never seen anything like the disgust Chargers players expressed regarding Gaither.

Now, blaming Gaither is easy, and responsibility ultimately lies at his feet.

But to solely blame him would be to impugn incompletely.

Someone gave Gaither this contract that in Chargers history is surpassed in its failure only by the 1998 drafting of Ryan Leaf.

Gaither’s lasting effect in San Diego has become a part of A.J. Smith’s legacy. Signing Gaither to that contract joins the handling of Vincent Jackson and drafting of Larry English – and awaits the possible inductions of the Ryan Mathews and Robert Meachem moves -- in the A.J. Hall of Blame.

What Smith did in the 2012 offseason was akin to a person with a nut allergy feeling they were about to starve and gobbling down a bowl full of pistachios. His bad drafts were like Smith coming in contact with peanuts, but it was Gaither, et al, and Gaither most of all, that ultimately secured Smith’s demise.

What a disaster. At the worst possible position.

Over the past three years, the Chargers have paid a combined $21.6 million to Marcus McNeill and Gaither – to start a total of 29 games (of 48) at left tackle. (McNeill had to retire after 2011 due a chronic neck condition he had repeatedly tried to play through.)

Just five other teams paid more for their left tackle from 2010-12. All but one of those higher-priced players started more games than the McNeill-Gaither tandem. Four of those five left tackles made multiple Pro Bowls from '10-12. Three were named first-team All-Pro at least once.

Some people have taken to blaming Chargers vice president Ed McGuire for this contract. He is the guy who negotiates all deals for the team.

But McGuire does what he’s told in these instances. He was told to get a deal done.

As much as anything, Gaither is a poster child for what can happen when a team gets desperate in free agency.

They didn’t ignore the warning signs that were there due to the fact the Ravens let Gaither go for essentially the same act. What the Chargers did was blow through the warning signs.

There is plenty of blame to go around, mainly to cast upon Gaither.

Just because the Chargers wore a sign saying “rob us” doesn’t mean he had to do it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +799 / 54 / -42
  29. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Blew, that was a great piece by Acee. As I have not read many of his recent articles, it seems as if he is getting great at his job.

Very spot on and I'm extremely glad that Gaither is OUT.
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    That's not news, old man. ;)

Winston may not be great, but he's a better fit for the ZBS that the Chargers are supposedly moving to. Clary is too slow-footed to handle zone blocking. Winston at least is a little more athletic.