1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +243 / 16 / -2
    You have your own Matty in here and I hear that he's as dumb as a rock :D, or is it as hard as a rock? :confused:
  2. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +243 / 16 / -2
    Ever heard of pendulum swings?! ;)
  3. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +243 / 16 / -2
    Is he also related to Steve Madden? :p
  4. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41
    I shall comment, even though this wasnt directed in my direction obviously ......

I wouldn't expect anything less from such a diligent, well read, thoughtful individual. ;)
  5. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41
    Only thing I hear swinging these days is my saggy beanbag slapping against my knees mate.
  6. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41
    That would be a better situation than being related to either Joel or Benji at present.....

Those two fargers have sold their souls to the devil down here the last few years ....... My God, they are the spokesmen for KFC and every other product available it seems and it's cringeworthy to watch these cornballs do their shite.

How the farg did we end up with them ??????
  7. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41
    I've just reversed into a cement pylon at the loading dock at my first stop this morning ...... :)

Holy shite, may have whiplash I do believe, that could get me a week off if I play my cards correctly. ;)

Poofessoria, I blame you for this by the way. :D
  8. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    Oh yeah - and when the market AIN'T bearing it due to his own performance; lack thereof, Windyston starts whining...? He should have tried actually performing over the past two years instead.:rolleyes: The Chargers probably offered him what he is worth - half a stale ham sammich. I ain't hatin - I watched him "play".
  9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,697 / 45 / -26
    Pro Football Focus would disagree with you there. ;)

10. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +243 / 16 / -2
    You have a Card Blanche and are always invited to the simpletons' party. Comment away you Aussie master of literature and critically acclaimed scholar ;)
  11. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    Oh, I'm well aware of how PFF blows his horn.. Back up one year and they can't believe the Texans let him go. So he gets a big contract out of K.C. and one year later is cut outright as the first move by a new H/C that fargin *loves* O-linemen? Back up one year and see what PFF had to say about Gaither.... (Yeah, I drank that @#$@#! Kool Aid too). You will please understand why I no longer consider them a "reference"... I have more trust in my own eyes than their grading "system".
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,697 / 45 / -26
    Well, I don't think their grading system is inherently biased, so I don't see why you would discount their methodology based on a couple of players.

For what it's worth, Gaither is a real talent..... that was never his problem. If I was to grade him purely based on his on-field performance, he'd get a very high grade (he is a better player than those other guys on that list). Of course, that's muted by the fact that the guy rarely plays. I don't see anything in their evaluation of him that was wrong, frankly. Just because things didn't work out for us, doesn't mean that Gaither wasn't the best available tackle at that time... he was.

And they have graded Winston highly over the years based on his actual performance. That doesn't mean he's without blemishes, or his slowing down with age, but I still think he's a better ZBS option than Clary, and that's all that matters in the end. Is he better than what we've got right now?....... I say the answer is yes.
  13. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41
    Hoooo dat bee ????????????? :D
  14. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41
    Atta Boy Dave, now how long have I been saying that exact same thing ??????

trust in YOUR OWN EYE's ...... If you have any evaluating talent or knowledge of the game, why would you believe what anyone else has to say over your own view ???? ....

As far as I know, Football isn't a subject that can be learnt at school .... Is it ?

As far as Im concerned, anybody in here or anywhere else for that matter can have as much insight about the game as those who's job it is to comment and prognosticate for a living ......

Getting a paycheck doesn't guarantee you're an expert ........ Take a look at some of those Football shows and who they have on their panels if you don't believe me ......
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,697 / 45 / -26
    That's all well and good, old boy, but your eyes ain't what they used to be. ;)

You, Dave, and Ringo may "trust your eyes" and discount all other sources of evaluation if you like, but I personally don't see sites like PPF as worthless. They actually looked at EVERY snap that Winston played last year....... I can't claim to have done the same.

We all have strong opinions here, but none of us are experts either. I have more faith in the way PPF evaluates players, than the talking head pundits on TV. At least the PPF guys do their homework.... and they don't have an axe to grind, or homer glasses on.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,697 / 45 / -26
    Report: Manti Te'o to visit Chargers
    By Michael Gehlken 11:30 A.M.APRIL 9, 2013

[​IMG]

Several draft prospects have visited the Chargers this month.

Some are more high-profile than others.

Former Notre Dame inside linebacker Manti Te'o will make his next pre-draft visit in San Diego, ESPN's Ed Werder reported Tuesday. Teo will become the latest defender to arrive at the facility, joining a list that includes former Oregon inside linebacker Kiko Alonso, LSU defensive end Sam Montgomery and Washington State outside linebacker Travis Long, per sources.

Te'o recently visited the Lions.

He'd fill a need for the Chargers, who must replace Takeo Spikes at the starting Mike linebacker spot. Bront Bird and Jonas Mouton currently compose the depth chart.

Teo, at 6-foot-1 and 242 pounds, is an All-American who's become better known for his involvement in an apparent love hoax. He addressed reporters in February at the NFL Combine.

"I’ve learned just to be honest in anything and everything you do, from the big things to the small things," Te'o said in Indianapolis.

A projected late first-round selection, the 22-year-old likely will be off the board before the Chargers pick at No. 45 overall in the second round.

Alonso also is a potential Spikes replacement. He had 81 tackles in 2012 with four interceptions, six passes defensed, one sack and two forced fumbles. Draft analysts project him to last into the second, possibly third, round.

Montgomery and Long, like Alonso, visited the Chargers last week.

Montgomery didn't do himself any favors at the combine, fueling reported character issues when discussing how he elevated his game against stiffer competition.

"Some weeks when we didn't have to play the harder teams, there were some times when effort was not needed," Montgomery said. "But when we had the big boys coming in, the (Alabamas) or the South Carolinas, I grabbed close to those guys and went all out. Of course, this is a new league, the NFL and there are no small teams, small divisions; it is all Alabamas and LSUs every week. It's definitely something I have to get adjusted to, but I'm sure with the right coaching I will be fine."

He changed agents after the event. A league source said Tuesday that Montgomery is off many team's draft boards "due to character concerns." By hosting Montgomery, the Chargers gave themselves an extended chance to evaluate his character for themselves.

Long, about five months removed from surgery to repair a torn ACL, is said to be ahead of schedule in his rehab. He has begun running in a straight line, but work remains to regain some of his lateral movement.

Long played outside linebacker at Washington State, which runs a 3-4 scheme like the Chargers, and appeared in 47 straight games before the November knee injury.
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,697 / 45 / -26
    Darrell Stuckey tweets cute pic of baby daughter inside what might be a new Chargers helmet
    By Kevin Kaduk | Shutdown Corner

[​IMG]

— Darrell Stuckey II (@DarrellStuckey) April 7, 2013

Is this a new San Diego Chargers helmet? The Internet is speculating that it might be. It looks very similar to some of the team's old-school throwbacks — the Chargers wore numbers on their helmets in the early days — but there's an entire army of Redditorspicking apart the tiny differences that could signal a new choice of protective headwear for the Bolts this fall.

Us? We're more enthralled by the baby inside the helmet. Her proud pop is Darrell Stuckey, the Chargers safety, and it goes without saying he was obviously more concerned with showing off his family's new arrival than tipping anyone off about his future wardrobe.

Still, we're of the firm belief that all offseason uniform clues should include tiny adorable babies inside their father's oversized gear. That sound you just heard was Shutdown Corner setting its "squee" levels to high.
  18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Devils started strong but laid an egg once Brodeur went out.
    Yankees will make the playoffs again. Book it ;)
  19. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41

Quickly ... Someone tell me that the FO farg knuckles have mistaken it for April Fools day !!!!!!

That's gotta be some kind of misprint ...... Is there a Manny Tutuola in the draft perhaps ??????
  20. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41

Oh, so seeing as they've been a complete flop as a baseball team of late, they have decided to join the NHL ???

Good move on their behalf........ Let me guess, D-Rod drives the Zamboni during the intervals ?
  21. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41

Oh myyyyyy ........that right there is just about on a par with our piglet in his winter jacket the other day ..... Very cute indeed.

As for the helmets ....... Would love to see those old school types make a comeback, now all we need is the Royal Blue jerseys and we can take this mob seriously again..... ;)
  22. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41
    Will you lay off the eyes ...... These new glasses are doing wonders for me, I fully expect to be able to make even MORE predications come next season, so beware, by the time Im done evaluating, we not have a team capable of mixing it up in the CFL, let alone the NFL ...... :)

I can't say I read alot of those stat sites, as I've mentioned many times in the past, stats can be decieving and used in such a way, they can often be twisted to suit many different arguments and points of view, but rarely do they ever tell the entire story though and that will never change.

They make for decent discussion points occasionally, but they certainly aren't the end all that some make them out to be ......

I'll continue to "watch" and draw my own conclusions from that, I do believe. ;)
  23. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41
    Holy Moldy .....

Fleetwood Mac are releasing some new stuff I just seen ...... Some peeps just refuse to die, don't they. :)

Just watched a clip of a new track, I will say this much, Buckingham can still finger-pluck the farg out of a guitar, like very few others......

Also has to have one of the largest foreheads ever seen on a Homosapien too these days .......... He and PUMPY may be on a par these days in that department.
  24. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    They're a 'flop' because they win in it all once a decade on average while making the playoffs what about 9/10 seasons? The Chargers flopping makes the Yankees 'flopping' look non-existent. I mean hell, if you're gonna flop, go big. Let's face it, we all wish the Chargers would/could spend like the Yankess (or in nono's case like the Red Sox, but with the success of the Yankees :D )
  25. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Enlarged frontal lobes both of them eh? For the same reason you think? Let's face it, Pump is a genius when it comes to avoiding work, and that's a great life skill if you can make it work ;)
  26. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Jayzus my name gets taken in vain a lot around here.:p
    I LIKE Pff for the snap count stuff. And they give you the position each guy played on every play down to whether it was a 2, 3, or 4 man front. Pure objective stats. Their ratings are bogus though. Aren't they a bunch of Brits? You trust Brits rating American Football players? That's like Aussies evaluating NHL players....
  27. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Well, you're right until you're wrong there Poofessor. ;)
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,697 / 45 / -26
    Don't know about the brit angle, but you're just lucky Jack has never taken an interest in hockey. ;)
  29. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    Oh, I can and will discount PFF when it comes to evaluations on the O-line - like their stats, disagree with their system for grading. Will, however, admit that I haven't been this far into the "show me" mode on anything involving the Chargers since the early 70's after watching what happened with Harland Svare at the helm. (I was on shore duty and had the opportunity to watch a lot closer).

OK Blue, you didn't answer my question - why is Winston on the street again looking for a 3rd team in the same number of years?
  30. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +960 / 2 / -2
    Totally, utterly, shocked to see FSU OT Menelik Watson on the list of players to attend the Draft - oh - waitaminute - he is a Brit - OK that 'splains everything? :rolleyes:
  31. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,697 / 45 / -26
    You'd have to ask the teams that let him go....... I'm not privy to what goes on with every team in the league. I'm no Kevin Acee. ;)

One might guess that teams thought he wasn't worth it for what they were paying him, or they wanted to get younger. There's different reasons for different teams.

Does a guy like Spikes not still have value? I say he does, but obviously not as much as the Chargers were due to pay him. Rosters are a balancing act of getting the right amount of talent for the right amount of $$$. Guys are not let go just because they aren't performing. Sometimes, there's just a cheaper younger option available on the team, so they chose to move on.

And you didn't answer my question. Was, or was not Gaither the best left tackle available at that time.... as PPF said?